Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,732 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria (4456 Views)

Should I Jailbreak My Ps3. Gamelords Only / Gateway 3ds Card Hacked Nintendo 3DS Roms - 3DS Jailbreak Is Coming / Official Ps3 Jailbreak Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by Mobinga: 1:45am On Feb 26, 2011
The development over the past few days relating to the hacking of the PS3 (PlayStation 3) and the subsequent release of a commercially available plug and play option to the public is a game changer. Simply put gamers who use this add-on will not need to own a Game CD to play it. Simply borrow install, return the CD and play the game from your hard drive. We are yet to comprehend the magnitude of the change this one break will make in the gaming industry. First, we now KNOW that the PlayStation 3 or any other technology is very hackable… very Hackable.

However I am more concerned about the impact locally here in Nigeria: its gaming public and retail market.

1. For starters if this tool is as simple as we have heard it is we might be a massive hit locally

2. We will have spin-offs and Nigerian versions of the flash-drive hack. Trust Alaba.

3. Big Business and economic stimulus for local pirates here in Nigeria …psjailbreak to the rescue.

4. The New (western styled) video game retailers, who are dependent on PS3 sales becuase of its “unbreakable security”: Replay NG, Omagames and Kalahari games (plus some new Project GX guys that were just about to commence) might suffer greatly from this development. The truth is this might spell the death of this legit sector trying to find its path.

4. The possibility of ever having game sales figures for Nigeria just flew out the window.

I have had a lot of time to muse on this development and read the remarks of some Nigerian gamers on our GNN page on facebook. If this is a some “fast move” by Sony to increase console sales then they are just one very dumb and silly organization… ‘cos it will mess with us all down the road.

1. Just like with the PSP we will have developers staying away from making big title games because they can not guarantee returns on investment.

2. More DLC will take centre stage and hurt us even more in Nigeria. Why? ‘cos we don’t have internet connections and most of the things we have as connections are burdened with download + upload limits + expense. DLCs are the only way (I think) developers will guarantee some protection for their hardwork. We might have many more full games being distributed digitally. Or maybe they are smart… lets see. This only really affects old games and if you are buying new games that have a new security feature (install and wipe psjailbreak feature) then we all win.

Now that we have that out of the way what possibilities are there for Sony’s response, assuming this thing actually works and is a hit. Well for starters and for the most part they can ban people using this solution from going on PSN. The average Nigerian gamer could care less about PSN; many don’t even know what it is or where to find it.

In summary I’m speculating responses and impacts of this development. We will only know for certain when the product and reactions start to arrive. I will continue to monitor Local Response and Developments on our Gaming Community Website, Forum and FB Page over the next few weeks.

http://gnn.com.ng/2010/08/25/playstation-3-jailbreaker-impact-in-nigerian/

Awesome Article
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by Bawss1(m): 5:13pm On Feb 28, 2011
OK lets get academic with this jailbreak  cool . . .

From the article "4. The New (western styled) video game retailers, who are dependent on PS3 sales becuase of its “unbreakable security”: Replay NG, Omagames and Kalahari games (plus some new Project GX guys that were just about to commence) might suffer greatly from this development. The truth is this might spell the death of this legit sector trying to find its path."

I posit that the jailbreak will be of minimal impact on the sales of the game sellers listed above. I say this because the jailbreak for it to be used successfully - i.e. to be enjoyed - will require a large (or decent) selection of games, something that goes beyond the collection of the neighborhood boys, something that only the game sellers have. True, the jailbreak frees gamers from the constraint of playing games with the physical discs present in their consoles, but the gamers still have to 'acquire' the discs to copy them - at least the first lenders still need to.
There is still a vibrant used games market which I believe the mentioned retailers have a part in. The jail-breakers will need this market to thrive because it will be the best source to stock up ones library/collection.

"We will have spin-offs and Nigerian versions of the flash-drive hack. Trust Alaba.
"

Really? I wonder what the Nigerian version of the jailbreak can possibly be.
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 9:58pm On Feb 28, 2011
Bawss1:

OK lets get academic with this jailbreak  cool . . .

From the article "4. The New (western styled) video game retailers, who are dependent on PS3 sales becuase of its “unbreakable security”: Replay NG, Omagames and Kalahari games (plus some new Project GX guys that were just about to commence) might suffer greatly from this development. The truth is this might spell the death of this legit sector trying to find its path."

I posit that the jailbreak will be of minimal impact on the sales of the game sellers listed above. I say this because the jailbreak for it to be used successfully - i.e. to be enjoyed - will require a large (or decent) selection of games, something that goes beyond the collection of the neighborhood boys, something that only the game sellers have. True, the jailbreak frees gamers from the constraint of playing games with the physical discs present in their consoles, but the gamers still have to 'acquire' the discs to copy them - at least the first lenders still need to.
There is still a vibrant used games market which I believe the mentioned retailers have a part in. The jail-breakers will need this market to thrive because it will be the best source to stock up ones library/collection.

"We will have spin-offs and Nigerian versions of the flash-drive hack. Trust Alaba.
"

Really? I wonder what the Nigerian version of the jailbreak can possibly be.

Wrong on all counts.

First of all you don't need the dongle anymore. Now all it takes is 25 mins and the traders in Alaba will hack your PS3 for you in no time
Secondly, all the major new games are there. As we speak, people are plunking down 1000 naira for KillZone 3 and Dead Space 2. Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a 3GB download, can easily be downloaded in 2 days with a fast Starcomms connection.

The jailbreak will be of minimal impact to Sony's bottom line anyway. Using it means no PSN access, something many gamers require.
The Nigerian game market is pretty negligible anyway.

I have little sympathy for these game retailers in Nigeria , selling $60 games for 16,000 naira.

1 Like

Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by Bawss1(m): 4:34pm On Mar 01, 2011
So much for being academic with this grin

My whole postulation was based on the assumption that physical copies of the games has to be sourced (from game retailers) to stock up ones library, I totally overlooked the internet. Theory fail. My bad
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by opskie: 10:03am On Apr 18, 2011
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by Bawss1(m): 3:09pm On Apr 18, 2011
^^^
You haven't said anything about the jailbreak's impact in Nigeria.
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by lumzi23: 5:18am On Apr 19, 2011
While the nigerian market is negligible for game companies, I would not like that to be always the case. However, because the rampant piracy deluging our entertainment industry, it seems that may be the case for a while. Hopefully things will get better in future.
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by opskie: 3:52pm On Apr 21, 2011
lipsrsealed
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:25am On Apr 23, 2011
i'd really like to Jail Break but after reading stuffs like if i upgrade my CFW with an OFW at any point that my ps3 will crash and obviously i intend playing some games in future so i might be required to install some firmware to play some ,am kinda holding back on the hacking stuff till am sure there'll be constant updates to the CFW version in the future.
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by ritchboy(m): 10:56am On Apr 23, 2011
^^ As long as you switch back to OFW 3.55 before you upgrade, there's no risk.

Just don't go from CFW 3.55 to OFW 3.56/3.60, or any future releases.
Re: Playstation 3 Jailbreak: Impact In Nigeria by jboy1179: 6:36pm On Jan 01, 2012
I need Ps 3 hackable , do you have any for sale

(1) (Reply)

Ea Sports Fc 24 Ppsspp / The Best Laptops For Games/entertainment Within 80-100k Range / Best Nintendo Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.