Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,650 members, 7,820,258 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Block Molding: The Ratio of Cement to Sand to Water - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Block Molding: The Ratio of Cement to Sand to Water (5191 Views)

The Best Way To Sand-fill A Water-logged Piece Of Land / Quantity Of Cement To Set 3500 Blocks For A Fence / Molding Or Buying Blocks. Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Block Molding: The Ratio of Cement to Sand to Water by Kpekus: 12:39am On Sep 21, 2020
I am planning to mold 6" solid blocks (not hollow) for a duplex I'm about to start working on. The building will have two floors (a ground floor and a second level above the ground floor). In Nigeria, this will be called a one-story building; in the US, it will be a two-story building.

I have talked with various block molders who assured me that they've been molding blocks for years. But I'm not naïve when it comes to the level of quackery in Nigeria. For every stage of this project, I want to go in with reliable information. Help me out, guys.

The cement I have bought are Dangote 50 kg bags. My architect and the molders say for my blocks (6" solid blocks) to be strong, I should mold 30 blocks from each bag of cement. Here is my question: In order to obtain thirty 6" solid blocks from a 50 kg bag of cement (Dangote cement), what should be the ratio of cement to sand and water? How many head-pans of cement should be mixed with how many head-pans of sand? How much water should be in the mix? In other words, how many parts of cement should be mixed with how many parts of sand and water?

1 Like

Re: Block Molding: The Ratio of Cement to Sand to Water by Analyst01(m): 10:59am On Sep 24, 2020
If you couldn't believe or at least come to a consensus with the data provided by the several block moulders you contacted, I doubt you'd believe what you get here also.

However, I'll try. A typical 6" solid block has dimensions of 150mm x 450mm x 225mm.
The volume is, 0.0152 cumec.

30 blocks will be 0.0152 x 30 = ~0.46 cumec.

So, you will need 0.035.cumec of cement for ~0.46 cumec of blocks. (50kg bag = 0.035 cumec)

Subtract cement from the block your have 0.421 cumec of sand.

Cement : Sand = 0.035 : 0.421 = 1 : 12

Your bag of cement is equivalent to 2 standard construction headpans. However, what ever the measuring container you wish to use make sure that for every one measure of cement that you add 12 measures of sand.

Another important point to note is the water-cement ratio. But that's a topic for some other time. Cheers!! grin

P.S.
Cumec = Cubic meters (m3)
I'm a civil engineer (COREN)

1 Like

Re: Block Molding: The Ratio of Cement to Sand to Water by Kpekus: 4:52pm On Sep 29, 2020
Analyst01:
A typical 6" solid block has dimensions of 150mm x 450mm x 225mm.

So, you will need 0.035.cumec of cement for ~0.46 cumec of blocks. (50kg bag = 0.035 cumec)

Your bag of cement is equivalent to 2 standard construction headpans. However, what ever the measuring container you wish to use make sure that for every one measure of cement that you add 12 measures of sand.

Another important point to note is the water-cement ratio. But that's a topic for some other time. Cheers!! grin

P.S.

Thanks. This was helpful.

I've noticed that the molders could "eyeball" the ratio of cement to sand, but they could not give me this sort of answer. They used their shovels and were able to get between 29 and 31 block from each bag of cement. But I wanted an answer that's "mathematical" in order to have a standard "recipe" for making 30 solid 6" blocks out of a 50 kg bag of cement. That way, I can ensure consistency in the strength of the blocks regardless of the molder.

Again, thanks for the answer.

1 Like

Re: Block Molding: The Ratio of Cement to Sand to Water by Analyst01(m): 3:45am On Jan 08, 2021
Kpekus:

Thanks. This was helpful.

I've noticed that the molders could "eyeball" the ratio of cement to sand, but they could not give me this sort of answer. They used their shovels and were able to get between 29 and 31 block from each bag of cement. But I wanted an answer that's "mathematical" in order to have a standard "recipe" for making 30 solid 6" blocks out of a 50 kg bag of cement. That way, I can ensure consistency in the strength of the blocks regardless of the molder.

Again, thanks for the answer.

You're welcome.
Re: Block Molding: The Ratio of Cement to Sand to Water by n3xt(m): 4:29am On Jan 08, 2021
Analyst01:

You're welcome.

Good job!
Re: Block Molding: The Ratio of Cement to Sand to Water by OLOWO000(m): 6:23pm On Jan 11, 2022
[quote author=Analyst01 post=94253434]If you couldn't believe or at least come to a consensus with the data provided by the several block moulders you contacted, I doubt you'd believe what you get here also.

However, I'll try. A typical 6" solid block has dimensions of 150mm x 450mm x 225mm.

P.S.

There is an error in your estimation. You didn't remove the volume of void in the block.

For you to have 30 numbers of 6 inches blocks from 1 bag, your ratio must be 1:6

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Luxury Duplex For Sale In Victoria Garden City(V.G.C): N115m / Edo Govt., MIXTA Africa Seal Deal To Construct 1,800 Housing Units In Benin City / Beautiful Stainless Steel Gate Designs Made By Virlibaq - 08027686029

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.