Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Word Of The Day! 'doddle' Sound And Origin - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Word Of The Day! 'doddle' Sound And Origin (230 Views)

8 Igbo Words That Have The Same Sound And Meaning With Yoruba Words / Strange Origin Of 9 Everyday Objects We Use / History And Origin Of Cult Groups In Nigerian Higher Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Word Of The Day! 'doddle' Sound And Origin by Researchclue: 9:43am On Sep 24, 2020
Word Of The Day!

doddle
[ dod-l ]
:-something easily done, fixed, etc.

Sentence:
1. He was really worried about my finishing the fence repairs on my own, but it was a doddle.
www.researchclue.com

WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF DODDLE?
Doddle, “something easy to do or fix,” is a British colloquialism of uncertain origin. Some say it comes from Scottish doddle “a small lump of toffee” (and therefore attractive and easy to make away with). Some say doddle may come from the verb dawdle “to waste time, idle.” Doddle may also be a variant of the verb toddle “to move with short unsteady steps” (as a toddler does). Doddle entered English in the first half of the 20th century.

(1) (Reply)

Get 25 Dollars For Free As A Student By Helping This Platform Grow / The Virgin Lady / Help...i'm Stuck At Chapter2(academic Project)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.