Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,592 members, 7,820,125 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

My Cucumber Project - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cucumber Project (1220 Views)

My Cucumber Farm Dairy / My 100% Organic Cucumber Project / #500,000 Profit Shock In My Cucumber Farm. PROMTEX FARMS. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:44pm On Sep 24, 2020
I intend venturing into cucumber farming commercially. My knowledge on it is limited, hence starting a cucumber farm project. I have read and gone through series of thread ranging from experts' contributions to amateurs.
So join me on this journey. Your contributions will be appreciated and criticism accepted.
I will be planting Technisem Marketer
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:46pm On Sep 24, 2020
The land to be cultivated is a 3 plot of land.
First stage was clearing and burning of the weeds
2nd was making of ridges

Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 10:08pm On Sep 24, 2020
Next was spraying the whole place with a glyphosate based herbicide prior to planting.
Hence, I won't be irrigating and staking the cucs.
I'll be reducing my expenses to the barest minimum since this is just a project to actually test the waters..
It will be absolutely rain fed.
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 10:13pm On Sep 24, 2020
Next is planting.
This stage is actually tricky a bit as I will be making use of poultry droppings from my poultry farm as manure.
To plant;
Dig a small hole
Add a little bit of the manure
Cover lightly with sand
Dip a finger into hole and drop a seed
Cover lightly and move to next hole

Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 10:24pm On Sep 24, 2020
Just started the planting today. I could only plant 4 rows today.
More pictures and updates coming tomorrow.

NB: one must be ready to fight off pests and diseases in cucumber farming.
I bought cypermethrin based insecticide for the insects and zforce as a preventive fungicide.

1 Like

Re: My Cucumber Project by Mide3367: 11:39am On Sep 25, 2020
Space booked cheesy
Re: My Cucumber Project by FarmTech(m): 11:38pm On Sep 25, 2020
3 plots for a start? Isn't that risky
Re: My Cucumber Project by Chinatown1759: 1:40am On Sep 26, 2020
FarmTech:
3 plots for a start? Isn't that risky

Is a risk his willing to take. That's how ballers ball
Re: My Cucumber Project by okoroemeka(m): 6:04am On Sep 26, 2020
3 plots for a start is not too risky, especially now we still have rain,but I will point out a few oversights,you will need hire labour for some jobs like planting,you can't possibly plant 3 plots alone,looks like you are the one doing the land preparation, because if a labourer does ridges like that he must be sacked,that double row on the ridges is not a good idea the foliage will come fast and thick and there will be no ventilation,then downy mildrew and powdery will come hard,also your spacing looks too far apart 30-40cm is best,seems you have access to poultry manure but your planting hole looks shallow,a good rainfall will cover the holes and you need that holes for manure application at least 3-4 times application ,because you have poultry farm,also plan to start staking immediately after planting,once the seed is in the ground it is a race between the farmer and the cucumber,the pics below is how we do holes to contain sizeable quantities of manure,also the ridging type,planting and staking pics is for futher illustration .

Re: My Cucumber Project by IamAsiri: 6:48am On Sep 26, 2020
okoroemeka:
3 plots for a start is not too risky, especially now we still have rain,but I will point out a few oversights,you will need hire labour for some jobs like planting,you can't possibly plant 3 plots alone,looks like you are the one doing the land preparation, because if a labourer does ridges like that he must be sacked,that double row on the ridges is not a good idea the foliage will come fast and thick and there will be no ventilation,then downy mildrew and powdery will come hard,also your spacing looks too far apart 30-40cm is best,seems you have access to poultry manure but your planting hole looks shallow,a good rainfall will cover the holes and you need that holes for manure application at least 3-4 times application ,because you have poultry farm,also plan to start staking immediately after planting,once the seed is in the ground it is a race between the farmer and the cucumber,the pics below is how we do holes to contain sizeable quantities of manure,also the ridging type,planting and staking pics is for futher illustration .

Please how do you make your square holes sir? Do you make them with the aid of a machine?
Re: My Cucumber Project by okoroemeka(m): 4:28pm On Sep 26, 2020
IamAsiri:

Please how do you make your square holes sir? Do you make them with the aid of a machine?
my worker Emma with a good shovel in his hands can do more than 500 holes a day.
Re: My Cucumber Project by IamAsiri: 4:44pm On Sep 26, 2020
okoroemeka:
my worker Emma with a good shovel in his hands can do more than 500 holes a day.

Shovel? shocked Just wow!
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 8:24pm On Sep 26, 2020
Today was a very stressful day... It was full of planting and spraying...
Had to hire a guy to assist in the planting. Planting is a very stressful thing o mehn my back aches like shit but we sha go survive.
One thing I've come to understand about Agriculture over time is that you must have passion for it. If not you will be tempted along the line to back out.
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2020
Enough of the TED talk!
Let me share the journey with you
The already planted cucs after 3 days in the soil

Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 8:57pm On Sep 26, 2020
With the help of the guy, we were able to plant almost half of the place.
Although his holes were smaller, the only issue is that I will need to apply manure more frequently.

Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:07pm On Sep 26, 2020
The seeds...
I sprayed the already sprouted seeds with cypermethrin based chemical and fungicide...

Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:15pm On Sep 26, 2020
The whole farm...

Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:19pm On Sep 26, 2020
okoroemeka:

I really appreciate your contributions Mr Emeka, may God bless you richly.
I will make necessary adjustments next time.
I've learnt a lot from the illustrations.
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:20pm On Sep 26, 2020
What a way to end the day

Re: My Cucumber Project by FarmTech(m): 9:33pm On Sep 26, 2020
Chinatown1759:

Is a risk his willing to take. That's how ballers ball
Believe me, starting big is one way of frustrating oneself. If u are new to anything, start small and grow big. I suggest op start with half plot.
Re: My Cucumber Project by FarmTech(m): 9:44pm On Sep 26, 2020
okoroemeka:
Oga have spoken. But I still think the guy shud start small oo. I wish him the best.
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:51pm On Sep 26, 2020
FarmTech:

Believe me, starting big is one way of frustrating oneself. If u are new to anything, start small and grow big. I suggest op start with half plot.

Everything in life is about risk! It's all about reducing the negativities to the barest minimum. There are some risks you take wholeheartedly!
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:52pm On Sep 26, 2020
Two things I know missing are staking pillars and irrigation...
I plan on irrigating the farm just after this production, a borehole has been sunk already...
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 10:26am On Sep 27, 2020
Please fellow farmers, I need contact of where I can get ugu seeds to plant. And if possible I need someone to put me through the planting process
Re: My Cucumber Project by FarmTech(m): 9:03pm On Sep 27, 2020
mobolaji234:

Everything in life is about risk! It's all about reducing the negativities to the barest minimum. There are some risks you take wholeheartedly!
The beauty of cuke is that it is a short term crop. So no need to rush. But if u can afford any loss, then go ahead.
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:40pm On Sep 27, 2020
FarmTech:

The beauty of cuke is that it is a short term crop. So no need to rush. But if u can afford any loss, then go ahead.

At this point in my life, anything is wrong trying out
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 9:42pm On Sep 27, 2020
okoroemeka:

Bro, do you have any idea on ugu cultivation to share with me?
Re: My Cucumber Project by FarmTech(m): 10:11pm On Sep 27, 2020
mobolaji234:

At this point in my life, anything is wrong trying out
. God's speed. Following.
Re: My Cucumber Project by okoroemeka(m): 5:58am On Sep 28, 2020
mobolaji234:

Bro, do you have any idea on ugu cultivation to share with me?
there is no special method of planting ugu except your plant spacing and staking which will be a game changer,I don't see the need to involve and waste my time and energy in any crop that is not high value,why doing ugu while I know pepper, tomatos,eggplant ,melon has almost similar maturity vperiod or cucumbers that have even less,I look at ugu farming as a job for retired pensioners and women, farmers like us need serious challenges with vegetable crops that give farmers nightmares.
Re: My Cucumber Project by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 6:28am On Sep 28, 2020
mobolaji234:
The land to be cultivated is a 3 plot of land.
First stage was clearing and burning of the weeds
2nd was making of ridges
how much did they make the ridges for u
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 7:17am On Sep 28, 2020
okoroemeka:
there is no special method of planting ugu except your plant spacing and staking which will be a game changer,I don't see the need to involve and waste my time and energy in any crop that is not high value,why doing ugu while I know pepper, tomatos,eggplant ,melon has almost similar maturity vperiod or cucumbers that have even less,I look at ugu farming as a job for retired pensioners and women, farmers like us need serious challenges with vegetable crops that give farmers nightmares.

LOL... Ugu is also high value esp during dry season. Thanks for your contribution Sir. Pls can I get your whatsapp contact
Re: My Cucumber Project by mobolaji234: 7:19am On Sep 28, 2020
Olaleyeabdullah:
how much did they make the ridges for u

Price differs, it's based on location. And more so, they charge based on plots or acres here

(1) (2) (Reply)

Move Your Goods Cheaply And Securely Across Nigeria With Haulage Plus / Get It Here, It Can't Be Better Elsewhere / See Snake Killed By My Farmer Friend Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.