Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,863 members, 7,851,943 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:34 AM

Who Is A Doctor - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is A Doctor (386 Views)

A Teacher Or A Doctor? Who Is More Important / Nigerian Lady Celebrates After Studying For 11 Years To Become A Doctor / CAUTION- If You Find These In Your House, Make Sure You Talk To A Doctor Immedia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is A Doctor by Cetacean419: 12:48am On Sep 26, 2020
Some few days back when I was in church, there was an invited guest whose name was Pastor Dr. Folu Adebayo(NOT THE REAL NAME). When the Pastor in charge of service called his name to announce his presence, Some youth behind me were saying "shey this one na real Doctor again ABI wayo Doctor "I heard various statements behind me that I had to change my seat.
After service I pondered about who a Doctor was. I knew that there are several Doctors e.g Doctor of Medicine (Physician), Dr of Theology (Clergy),Dr of Veterinary medicine, Dr of Pharmacy (PharmD),Eye Doctors not Doctors of the eye(Optometrist)(DO) and many more.
But who is a Doctor?
When you check your Dictionary the first thing you see is
Doctor=>Physician
In our society for instance, Many people don't even know who a Doctor is.
If I say that " Hi, I am Dr Ighodalo ". The opinion people will go for is that I am a medical Doctor. This has caused so many controversy in Nigeria.
There is an optometrist where I live in. People call him Dr all the time and he is one. He said he is an eye Doctor not a Doctor of the eye which is Medical Doctor. When people meet him concerning his advice on Drugs he gives his opinion and tells them to always go to the hospital.
Many people find it strange Because he bears this title "Dr".
The term "Doctor" means to teach in latin. It was first used in the 1200s. It wasn't till the 1400s it was used to refer to the medical Doctor and was more popular in the 1600s. The Medical Doctors were originally referred to as Leech which is archaic.
The Dr of Philosophy (Philosophy means pursuit for knowledge) and it is a title conferred on one based on research done on a particular field or Given to one as Honorary because of great feat achieved by one most times tied to humanitarian contribution or philanthropy. It ranges from arts, commerce/economics,science.
Many wolves are gone into the world causing harm claiming they are medical Doctors. There are only four ways of bearing the title "Dr"
*Attending Medical school and then becoming a Medical Doctor (MD/MBBCh/MBBS)

*Attend a program whose title is instilled as a Doctor (Doctor of Optometry (DO) not Bachelor of Optometry in some countries ,Dr of Psychology in some countries , Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) which is a bachelor Degree in some regions, Doctor of veterinary Medicine (DVM),

Doctor of Dental science (DDS) in places like the USA not BDS; Bachelor of Dental Science which I find funny in Nigeria bearing the Doctor title and some fewer courses)

* Attain A Doctor of philosophy(PhD ) like; Doctor of Law,Doctor Of Nursing Practice (DNP), Dr of Theology, Dr of English and many more.

*Honorary Doctorate Degree. You might get this while alive or Dead. It is given to people who have done a lot of good to humanity by philanthropic gestures. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Mugabe, Indabosky (Odumeje),Dangote etc.
In essence, Ask the person what kind of Doctor he or she is and don't swallow it like the way a fish swallows the hook and line.
There is nothing like a Real Doctor. We have physicians or quacks and we have the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
MOD MOVE TO FRONT PAGE PLEASE

1 Like

Re: Who Is A Doctor by damayfoli: 12:57pm On Mar 16, 2021
Hello. I've been sick for a while now. A friend of mine advised me not to go to the local hospital, but to check out the best hospitals at https://bookinghealth.com/ . I chose a hospital in another city and it really is an apartment, not a room.
Re: Who Is A Doctor by David2O(m): 1:32pm On Mar 16, 2021
Great write-up OP
Re: Who Is A Doctor by DiazDDS: 9:54pm On Aug 13, 2021
@Cetasean419

"...Bachelor of Dental SURGERY, which I find funny using the title..."

first, DDS stands for Doctor of Dental Surgery, not "Dental Science". Secondly BDS Is equivalent to a master level qualification... Any professional degree with 330-360ECTS/Above or British ICESD Level 7/Above is qualified to use the "Doctor" title...

(1) (Reply)

Is NOUN Higher Degree Accepted For Lecturing / Does DELSU Accept A Pass (d7) In Maths For English And Literary Studies? / Think Of Oduduwa University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.