Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,434 members, 7,864,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:58 AM

Are Our Cars' Odometers In Miles/km - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are Our Cars' Odometers In Miles/km (1121 Views)

BY 2030 We'll Not Have These Things In Our Cars / Hyundai Kona To Run For 482 Km When Charged, Charging Takes 9.35 Hours / How Do You Know If Odometer Figures Are In Miles Or Km (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Our Cars' Odometers In Miles/km by Djdannyb4u: 12:33am On Sep 28, 2020
I have a 2005 Toyota Avensis and don't know if the odometer is calculated in miles or kilometers?
I tried using cars to calculate road distances as I usually see all those signs stating "100km to Lagos" but wen I start calculating the distance from that point, I get a different number.
So pls how are they calculated?
Re: Are Our Cars' Odometers In Miles/km by b3llo(m): 1:24am On Sep 28, 2020
Speedometer and Country of manufacturing determine if the car measures distance in Miles/Kilometres.
Re: Are Our Cars' Odometers In Miles/km by shortgun(m): 1:36am On Sep 28, 2020
Djdannyb4u:
I have a 2005 Toyota Avensis and don't know if the odometer is calculated in miles or kilometers?
I tried using cars to calculate road distances as I usually see all those signs stating "100km to Lagos" but wen I start calculating the distance from that point, I get a different number.
Most cars these days have both.
You should clearly see MPH/ KM/H or MPH and KM/h on the speed clock.

"When you see 100Km to lagos " it doesn't mean if you speed up your car to 100km/h you will be in lagos instantly.
It means the distance from where you saw the sign to lagos is 100km.
Let's assume you maintain a constant speed of 100Km/ h you will be in lagos in 1 hour.
100km is not same as 100km/h.

2 Likes

Re: Are Our Cars' Odometers In Miles/km by osato45: 2:56am On Sep 28, 2020
On your odometer, you would see two markings in this manner, the outer marking could be in MPH, and the inner marking could be in KM/H or vise versa.

If on the odometer, your outer markings which are bigger are in MPH, it means your car calculates its distance in miles on the trip metre. But,

If the outer markings which are bigger on the odometer are in KM/H, it means your car calculates its distance in km on the trip metre

4 Likes

Re: Are Our Cars' Odometers In Miles/km by calculation(m): 4:35am On Sep 28, 2020
osato45:
On your odometer, you would see two markings in this manner, the outer marking could be in MPH, and the inner marking could be in KM/H or vise versa.

If on the odometer, your outer markings which are bigger are in MPH, it means your car calculates its distance in miles on the trip metre. But,

If the outer markings which are bigger on the odometer are in KM/H, it means your car calculates its distance in km on the trip metre
Correct! This answer the OP questions
Re: Are Our Cars' Odometers In Miles/km by CarGuideNG: 7:33am On Sep 28, 2020
Djdannyb4u:

osato45:

In addition to the above, the 2005 Avensis was not sold in the US or many countries that use Miles as a standard distance measure or unit.

As a result, many Avensis models odometers/speedometers only display the mileage/speed in Km or Km/hr.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Neatly Used 2005 Nissan Primera For Sale (cheap) / Audi A6 2001 Model Fuel Consumption! / How Reliable Is Mitsubishi Outlander 2007?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.