Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,242 members, 7,957,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:14 PM

Service To My Country Or Suicide? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Service To My Country Or Suicide? (862 Views)

25 Years Old Commits Suicide Because She Scored 105 In JAMB. SAD / UNN Introduces I-transcript Service To Help Graduates Get Transcripts Anywhere / Education In My Country Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Service To My Country Or Suicide? by alpha1616(m): 9:13pm On Jun 22, 2007
i dont know if i'm the only one who has given serious thought to this subject but the issue keeps coming to my mind. People of God, What is the purpose of NYSC?
We were made to climb trees and walk tight ropes, and go on long treks and do a whole lot of jungle stuff that a right thinking human under normal cicumstances would not even imagine unless he were in 14th century Rome!
While in camp we got the news of some lady in Katsina camp who fell off the tree ropes and died instantly. My people, i ask, "why should i go through four, five, or six years of university education,paying all the way through the nose only to end it all by falling from some tree and dying all in the name of "serving my nation", and when i asked questions they told me that 5% casualty rate is expected in all NYSC camps! an apalling response indeed. What kind of nation wastes its citizens(precious human capital) away in purposeless camps in the name of national service?
I still hear that demonic beegle sound in my head every 4:30am.
i had to sleep on some soak-away for three nights(no bathing and brushing)just to get registered. Now tell me, how does that increase NIgeria's foreign exchange earnings?
How does my climbing trees and walking long distances,and singing foolish songs affect the development of my dear conutry?
If u ask me,this whole NYSC thing is some big fraud that ensures constant yearly income for some select,corrupt,& powerful few, and that explains why it has remained in existence despite continued complaints and agitations for its cancellation.
What y'all think?

(1) (Reply)

Fwd: Rejoinder (?) Fwd: Re: Rccg Article / Error / Why Would You Choose To Be Part Of A Winning Team?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.