Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,965 members, 7,810,676 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? (1546 Views)

Mosaic Floors From 1500-Yr-Old Lost Church Of The Apostles Found In Israel (Pics / Dr. Paul And Becky Enenche Take Christmas Welfare Ministration To Benue (PIX) / If You Asked To Spend A Day With One Person In Bible Who Will You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 8:10pm On Oct 06, 2020
If God gave us all we need for Godly life through the death and resurrection of jesus why was Peter or Paul not rich? Philippians 4:19 and 2conrithians 8:9

CAN I GET AN ANSWER.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by lomprico(m): 8:15pm On Oct 06, 2020
they will come and twist the bible for you now the way they say Jesus was super rich during his time here on earth.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by LordIsaac(m): 8:17pm On Oct 06, 2020
It is because, according to our motivational speakers cum pastors today, they didn't have much "faith"... Yet, Peter's shadow was raising the dead! It is only heaven that will forgive these gods of men making merchandize of the souls of men quoting Solomon and Abraham. It is a very grievous evil equating the sacrifice of Christ on the cross with material things Christ rebuked Satan for.

4 Likes

Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by Uzomacharles: 8:17pm On Oct 06, 2020
What did they lack?

7 Likes

Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by CodeTemplar: 8:20pm On Oct 06, 2020
They had their needs met. That's all that matters.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by Ehiscotch(m): 8:23pm On Oct 06, 2020
Uzomacharles:
What did they lack?

Nothing that they needed.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by Uzomacharles: 8:26pm On Oct 06, 2020
Ehiscotch:

Have you read the book of Galatians at all?
I asked a question and u replied me with question...
Oya tell me about Galatians

1 Like

Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by viyon02: 8:31pm On Oct 06, 2020
op I guess you are a small boy spiritually, firstly, you are very wrong to compare apostles era to our present generation, never you compare your pastors to the apostles which are appointed by Jesus himself, while your pastors are appointed by the devil itself in order to decive you.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by Ehiscotch(m): 8:40pm On Oct 06, 2020
fanenene:
If God gave us all we need for Godly life through the death and resurrection of jesus why was Peter or Paul not rich? Philippians 4:19 and 2conrithians 8:9

CAN I GET AN ANSWER.

Your question is not fully posed. What do you call needs? They had all they needed for the purpose for which God called them, that's all that matters..
Like you said, God knows what we need; and He is ready to supply us according to his riches in glory.

You also should properly define your question, because a need is different from want.

3 Likes

Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by thesicilian: 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2020
Uzomacharles:
What did they lack?
Exactly. It's only an unwise person who thinks riches is all about money.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by petra1(m): 8:53pm On Oct 06, 2020
fanenene:

CAN I GET AN ANSWER.

Its a choice. They also had their mandate from christ. For example none of them was ordained to die natural death. That doesnt mean same thing must apply to everyone else. Every man should stay in his assignment
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:56pm On Oct 06, 2020
fanenene:

CAN I GET AN ANSWER.

They weren't rich (materially speaking) like their master, he made it clear to those following him that if we're to go by what people in general call riches, he (Jesus) is poor! Matthew 8:19-20

Jesus taught his disciples to store riches in heaven {Matthew 6:19-20} this means they are to work zealously for God without expecting worldly riches, that's why a prominent politician couldn't become a Christian because Jesus made the man to know that his worldly possessions, affluence and status will become a stumbling block for him! Luke 18:18-23

So if you see anyone claiming man of God today with lots of material possessions as PERSONAL assets know that such a person is indirectly serving the Prince of the world {John 14:30} who is prepared to give those serving him all the riches of this world! Luke 4:6

God bless you! smiley

5 Likes

Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:08pm On Oct 06, 2020
It's not about twisting the Bible it's a question because they had all it takes to make them rich but they where not.
lomprico:
they will come and twist the bible for you now the way they say Jesus was super rich during his time here on earth.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:09pm On Oct 06, 2020
That is what alot of person will say today but is not the reason.
LordIsaac:
It is because, according to our motivational speakers cum pastors today, they didn't have much "faith"... Yet, Peter's shadow was raising the dead! It is only heaven that will forgive these gods of men making merchandize of the souls of men quoting Solomon and Abraham. It is a very grievous evil equating the sacrifice of Christ on the cross with material things Christ rebuked Satan for.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:12pm On Oct 06, 2020
They did not live in abundance as our christain's live today. Is it wrong the answer is no
Uzomacharles:
What did they lack?
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:14pm On Oct 06, 2020
If u have your basic need meet will be happy.eg food and clothes and shelter not expensive clothes or banana island shelter or sumptiuos foods. Just normal things.
CodeTemplar:
They had their needs met. That's all that matters.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:17pm On Oct 06, 2020
I agree I am a small boy spiritually. But if that happened today you will blamed that you don't have faith or you are not doing something.
viyon02:
op I guess you are a small boy spiritually, firstly, you are very wrong to compare apostles era to our present generation, never you compare your pastors to the apostles which are appointed by Jesus himself, while your pastors are appointed by the devil itself in order to decive you.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:18pm On Oct 06, 2020
I asked what where they not rich like our christain's of this days.
Ehiscotch:

Your question is not fully posed. What do you call needs? They had all they needed for the purpose for which God called them, that's all that matters..
Like you said, God knows what we need; and He is ready to supply us according to his riches in glory.

You also should properly define your question, because a need is different from want.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by lomprico(m): 9:19pm On Oct 06, 2020
fanenene:
It's not about twisting the Bible it's a question because they had all it takes to make them riche but they where not.

was Jesus super rich?
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:20pm On Oct 06, 2020
So let me ask you be sincere to yourself which can of riches do u want in your life? And as you answer so shall it be in your life.
thesicilian:

Exactly. It's only an unwise person who thinks riches is all about money.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:21pm On Oct 06, 2020
This is the one person that seem to know what he is saying.
petra1:

Its a choice. They also had their mandate from christ. For example none of them was ordained to die natural death. That doesnt mean same thing must apply to everyone else. Every man should stay in his assignment
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:24pm On Oct 06, 2020
It will be an Insult to say Jesus was rich. He was not because in him was where the rich christain's have today came out from.
lomprico:

was Jesus super rich?
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by Uzomacharles: 9:24pm On Oct 06, 2020
fanenene:
They did not live in abundance as our christain's live today. Is it wrong the answer is no

Money rate as of them were not the same
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 9:26pm On Oct 06, 2020
My answer to you is decision! This is where God's leading through his spirit comes in. Though he has given us all we need for life and we have a short time to live on earth therefore can't accomplish all he has given us. This calls for wisdom, we have to choose wisely. We must allow only those things that will allow us to do all of God's will for our lives. For example if the pursuit for riches will hinder you from doing all of his will for your life you should avoid being rich for the Lord's sake. Yes! This understanding was with the apostles and they choose wisely.
Finishing your course in God is better than having all the good life on earth and
loose your soul. This is what prosperity teachers may not tell you. Be wise!
The teaching that God wants you rich, healthy, wealthy etc is a serious problem to the body of Christ. Those teachings dont give you the option to choose from. It cause the church to go after riches even though it will effect their walk with God. As a result a lot are misguided. The teaching does not recognize or acknowledge the poor (Christians without money) it places a fault on them and their walk with God, therefore the teaching is false. Jesus recognized poor Christians and didn't promise them earthly riches but went further to charge them to please the Lord. If you look at Revelation 2:9 AMP "‘I know your suffering and your poverty (but you are rich), and how you are blasphemed and slandered by those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan [they are Jews only by blood, and do not believe and truly honor the God whom they claim to worship"].

It is hard for the Christians of today to allow not being rich for the Lord's sake because wrong teachings has put the love of money in them. You must understand that the journey of a child of God is a test of his faithfulness toward God. Yes God tests us with any tough situation including
poverty. Yes he does! It depends on what he chooses to allow come our way. Jesus will say to us in judgment 'you faithful servant"... according to scripture in Luke 19:17. He will not call you faithful because you believed his works on the cross but because you obeyed in spite of all trials until the end. This is not some poverty mentality gospel when some Christians of old ignorantly rejected riches because they thought it's not Christianly to be rich. No! This is about knowing the infinite riches we have in Christ (Ephesians 3:cool and yet allow poverty or lack for the sake of one's walk with the Lord. Do not get it wrong, it is not everyone who must allow lack for the sake of the Lord. It's personal not general. Choose to please God with your life for Christianity is total submission to the will of God.
fanenene:

CAN I GET AN ANSWER.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by thesicilian: 9:28pm On Oct 06, 2020
fanenene:
So let me ask you be sincere to yourself which can of riches do u want in your life? And as you answer so shall it be in your life.
Lol, do you think I believe the wishes/prayers/curses of a random person can have any effect on me? I'm just replying you because I am a bit idle.

And to answer your question, the kind of riches I want is what I call background wealth: enough money for me and my immediate family never to worry for our lifetimes, but not too much as to have everyone overly focused on me. And above all, lots and lots of connections from people I have helped in one way or the other, such that I can pick up the phone and grant someone a favour without having to pay money for it.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by Ehiscotch(m): 9:37pm On Oct 06, 2020
I'm really don't know what to say to you. You have failed to understand the very basic things of Christianity.

All I can tell you is, focus on the "weightier matters"
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 10:15pm On Oct 06, 2020
Please don't misunderstand me I don't wish for you to be poor but what I said is be it according to your own wish no mine. Now the answer you gave is what we call wealth not excessively rich. But the apostles were not so. they had to depend on the people for anything they need and sometimes they complained they also need material things. See Gal 6:6
thesicilian:

Lol, do you think I believe the wishes/prayers/curses of a random person can have any effect on me? I'm just replying you because I am a bit idle.

And to answer your question, the kind of riches I want is what I call background wealth: enough money for me and my immediate family never to worry for our lifetimes, but not too much as to have everyone overly focused on me. And above all, lots and lots of connections from people I have helped in one way or the other, such that I can pick up the phone and grant someone a favour without having to pay money for it.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by fanenene(m): 10:18pm On Oct 06, 2020
It was far better. In those day they used precious metals like gold,silver,bronze etc. And it was per piece or weight. So it better
Uzomacharles:

Money rate as of them were not the same
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by lomprico(m): 10:44pm On Oct 06, 2020
fanenene:
Let me as you why is it that when people go to babalawo to make them rich they don't ask why the babalawo is not rich. It will be an Insult to say Jesus was rich. He was not because in him was where the rich christain's have today came out from.

I don't understand what u typed here
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 10:54pm On Oct 06, 2020
LordIsaac:
Those old testament personalities they keep referencing weren't rushing after material possessions....it came to them.
Solomon their favourite referenced person demanded wisdom when he could have demanded so much wealth from God(the wealth which eventually led to his ruin)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by Image123(m): 1:07am On Oct 07, 2020
fanenene:

CAN I GET AN ANSWER.

They were foundation, we are not. They could not afford to stay in jobs and businesses in the freedom that most of us enjoy.
Re: Why Was Peter, Paul And The Apostles Not Rich In Bible Days? by Blabbermouth: 1:14am On Oct 07, 2020
fanenene:
CAN I GET AN ANSWER.
No bitcoin business then.

PS: Money wise, Judas was the first scamming believer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Elated177 Come On Zoom And Prove Your God, Don't Be A Coward / When I Die, Will I Go Directly To Heaven Or Will I Wait Until The Rapture? / Testimonies From GCK - GCK Baby!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.