Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,183 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues (25867 Views)

Arsenal Fans Stay At Home As Gunners Faced Frankfurt In Near-Empty Stadium / NFF Releases Super Eagles 25 Man Provisional List For AFCON / Super Eagles Team Jet Out In Style To London. See List Of 25 Man Squad. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by vanida6: 6:13am On Oct 08, 2020
Mesut Ozil has been left out of Arsenal’s 25-man squad for the Europa League group stages.

Sokratis has also been left out of the squad for the group stages by Gunners manager Mikel Arteta
Mesut Ozil has been left out of Arsenal’s 25-man squad for the Europa Leaguegroup stages.
The club’s highest earning player - who pockets £350,000 ($454,000) a week - is one of two senior players who has been cut by boss Mikel Arteta, whose 25-man squad for the competition is only allowed to include 17 ‘non locally trained players’.
With 19 to choose from, however, Arteta has had to decide which two he would not involve - and Ozil, along with defender Sokratis, has been left out.

*Given the German has not played a single minute since football’s restart in June following the coronavirus enforced suspension, it is perhaps no surprise to see him axed from the squad.
Yet the fact he is the club’s highest earner still makes his omission eye-catching, especially as Arteta is expected to use the group stages of the Europa League as an opportunity to give some game time to players who have not been featuring much in the Premier League.

The decision comes just a day after Ozil publicly stated he would be willing to pay the wages of Jerry Quy, the man who has played the role of Gunnersaurus - the Arsenal mascot - for the past 27 years. Ozil’s took to social media to make the offer after it emerged that Quy had been made redundant.

“I was so sad that Jerry Quy aka our famous and loyal mascot Gunnersaurus and integral part of our club was being made redundant after 27 years,” said the former Real Madridstar. “As such, I’m offering to reimburse Arsenal with the full salary of our big green guy as long as I will be an Arsenal player so Jerry can continue his job that he loves so much.”

Ozil’s last appearance for Arsenal came in the win against West Ham in March, the final match before football was suspended due to the pandemic.
He has not even made a matchday squad this season, even in the Carabao Cup when Arteta has rung the changes.
When quizzed on the playmaker’s absence after the 2-0 win at Leicester last month, the Arsenal boss said: “The team is evolving, you can see the level they are achieving. This is where we are at the moment. We want to evolve more and play better and compete better.

“You can see that the players we are changing, we are using, it's very difficult every week not just for Mesut but for some other players as well to make the squad. Every week we try to pick the right players.

“It's difficult for others as well that aren't involved in the Premier League and didn't play tonight either. We have a squad of 26, 27 players at the moment and we can't give playing time to all of them.

“I understand and I respect your questions but I have to try to do my job as fair as possible. I try to select the players that are, in my opinion, in better condition.”
UEFA are due to officially announce Arsenal's 25-man squad for the Europa League group stages on Thursday morning.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/ozil-axed-arsenal-europa-league-squad/1cyxdhzwi3fqi1ggugpuf3xbz8

4 Likes

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by Temmylee01(m): 6:21am On Oct 08, 2020
shooooooterss oziloma my man, he has laboured it is time for him to be collecting his pention

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by DenreleDave(m): 6:42am On Oct 08, 2020
angry

Arsenal na failure team..... I only commiserate with their fans....

I am single and searching for a lady... She must have average boobs, average ass and very importantly;

She must be an Arsenal Fan

They are the most loyal...

Any ladies That is a Chelsea fans shud stay off, Madrid fans stay off.. Those one na ashewo team

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by dayleke: 6:42am On Oct 08, 2020
Awwwwwww.....
Sorry o.

Wetin I know sef?
No be soccer....? grin

3rd to comment wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by Lincoln275(m): 6:42am On Oct 08, 2020
Nawa ooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by ProfAmaben(m): 6:42am On Oct 08, 2020
Once a player leaves Real madrid, his value drops significantly because there's no club like Madrid.

Hala Madrid, Hala los blancos, hala los vikinos.

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by tamdun: 6:43am On Oct 08, 2020
Very lazy player

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by ZendayaColeman(f): 6:44am On Oct 08, 2020
Arsenal's lost, Ozil's gain.

GGMU

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 6:44am On Oct 08, 2020
They should send him to Man Utd

Make he go de manage with Ole

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by Dalil8: 6:44am On Oct 08, 2020
ProfAmaben:
Once a player leaves Real madrid, his value drops significantly because there's no club like Madrid.

True

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by yrex01(m): 6:44am On Oct 08, 2020
He’s been arsenal weakness since. Surely Arteta knows what he’s doing. Coyg

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by Freestainworld(m): 6:45am On Oct 08, 2020
I really like that Ozil

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by DenreleDave(m): 6:45am On Oct 08, 2020
dayleke:
Awwwwwww.....
Sorry o.

Wetin I know sef?
No be soccer.... grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Baba oo
Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by clinsman1: 6:45am On Oct 08, 2020
Okay
Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by stag: 6:45am On Oct 08, 2020
I feel there's more to Ozil's continued absence from matches than all these reasons they are giving.

Dude's more like a silent radical undecided

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by Favemmzar200(m): 6:45am On Oct 08, 2020
Make him go man u
Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by DenreleDave(m): 6:45am On Oct 08, 2020
Freestainworld:
I really like that Ozil

Are you a gay undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by crossfm: 6:45am On Oct 08, 2020
The guy that is been paid millions for doing nothing.

What else will I call this, if not grace.

Mind you some zoobies are been paid 30k to defend a draconic government somewhere in West Africa.

The worst is that these zoobies recive litany of curse just for 30k.Indeed this life no balance at all.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by tfash96(m): 6:46am On Oct 08, 2020
Set Awon Mikel Slowbi

5 Likes

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by Coronavirus84: 6:46am On Oct 08, 2020
Arsenal is nothing to write about abeg

1 Like

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by bolaayenimo: 6:46am On Oct 08, 2020
Man Utd needs Ozil badly

3 Likes

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by dayleke: 6:46am On Oct 08, 2020
DenreleDave:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Baba oo

You be my oga on top..
I dey look you from down here... tongue
Anything for d boy?
Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by Nbotee(m): 6:46am On Oct 08, 2020
Sometimes some club decisions are not only baffling but also pennywise... He is the club's highest earner with 350k a week.. And becos he didnt accept a paycut afta the club tried to force him to leave, he was frozen out of the team as punishment. Isn't it absolutely foolish for the club to decide not to use him again while still paying him hugely every week?

ProfAmaben:

Makalele? Robben? Sneijder? CR7?

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by Dominion202: 6:46am On Oct 08, 2020
Make Ozil go join Bollywood and start acting since futbol career no work again.
He guy resemble Indian mehnnn

3 Likes

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by adioolayi(m): 6:47am On Oct 08, 2020
He is determined to collect all his pension dues.... Arsenal cannot do anything about it grin cheesy

#BoneInTheNeck

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by personal59: 6:47am On Oct 08, 2020
ehyass

no be arsenal fault na their ammunition finish and no much sense and money to restock
Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by gaetano: 6:47am On Oct 08, 2020
yrex01:
He’s been arsenal weakness since. Surely Arteta knows what he’s doing. Coyg

Nope, he's not . The club hierarchy are trying to force him out due to his high wage bills but ozil doesn't seem to mind being sidelined from the squad hence he's receiving his fat pay cheque. For clubs it's all about business, they can treat you unfairly when it suits them so when you can as a player, get all the money you can for them. Thats why i support players like Sanchez, ozil and bale, since you want to force them out because of their huge pay before their contract ends, they will rather sit on the bench or move on loan and collect every single penny in the contract. Make that money for your kids before you retire.

64 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by daddytime(m): 6:47am On Oct 08, 2020
Lazy footballer.

Enjoy your fat pay check

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by DenreleDave(m): 6:48am On Oct 08, 2020
dayleke:

You be my oga on top..
I dey look you from down here... tongue
Anything for d boy?
Yes na.. Check dm
Re: Ozil Cut From Arsenal's 25-Man Europa League Squad As Gunners Exile Continues by jericco1(m): 6:48am On Oct 08, 2020
But that guy's salary is too damn large! shocked

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

D'Tigress Captain, Sarah Ogoke, Gets First Job As A Medical Doctor / Sergio Aguero: Why I Rejected Messi’s No.10 Jersey / Violence & Disallowed Goal From Kano Pillars VS Dakkada (The Full Details, Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.