Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,299 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank (683 Views)

Should Churches And Mosque Be Made To Pay Tax To Boost Nigeria's Economy? / Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Should Churches Join A Pregnant Woman To A Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by yommyuk: 12:03am On Mar 05, 2011
I will reserve my comment for now.

Views pls cool
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by Image123(m): 1:17pm On Mar 05, 2011
Should yommyuk ever talk about money, not to mention possessing it in his holy seperate trusting life?
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by Joagbaje(m): 6:58pm On Mar 05, 2011
If Jesus was justified to have a purse , and a treasurer . Churches should have money.
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by Zikkyy(m): 8:29am On Mar 06, 2011
Well, i think the best place to keep your millions is the bank (if you are not willing to invest or spend).
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by yommyuk: 9:05am On Mar 06, 2011
Should yommyuk ever talk about money, not to mention possessing it in his holy seperate trusting life?

@image123
I have been going over the post and I don't seem to get u. Pls explain
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by yommyuk: 9:19am On Mar 06, 2011
If Jesus was justified to have a purse , and a treasurer . Churches should have money

I don't think a million naira will fit into a purse. grin
outside my point lol

This is the way I see it. Most Churches are Charities, which exempts most from paying tax. Technically, on their balance sheet, Cash must be minimal as long as working capital is available. I am not concerned about how the millions are accumulated, but how it will be spent. Cash in the bank for a charity is witholding the cash from achieving its purpose. For that reason I am "Sceptical"

More views pls.
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by obowunmi(m): 9:23am On Mar 06, 2011
Yes, they should.
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by Image123(m): 3:04pm On Mar 06, 2011
@yommyuk
It SEEMS you have an aversion for 'church' and 'money' in the same sentence. Let me ask a more specific and easier question which you might understand.
If yommyuk had millions of naira, would he for any reason put it in the bank?
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by obowunmi(m): 3:13pm On Mar 06, 2011
If mugus are willingly to give, then magas should collect and take it to a bank, to buy helicopter, and acquire loads of property.
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by yommyuk: 6:09pm On Mar 06, 2011
@yommyuk
It SEEMS you have an aversion for 'church' and 'money' in the same sentence.

To the contrary. I have no reason to loathe "Church" and "Money" in the same sentence. Surely Church is an avenue where people contribute money,  but for a purpose.

Is that purpose for the money to be sitting in the bank. I don't think so.

Since most church organisations fall under the banner of "Charity", why keep the cash (millions) in the bank?  A church that indentifies itself as a charity has obligations and responsibilities. Don't you know that as a charity, the church enjoys some tax advantages from the government. While they can in certain circumstances trade for profit, they must use any such profit for the purposes of the charity. To qualify as a charity, an organisation has to meet strict conditions about its overall purposes, also referred to as its objects, including demonstrating that its purposes are for the public benefit.

If yommyuk had millions of naira, would he for any reason put it in the bank
For security reasons? yes! cool

Secondly, I pay tax to the government of the country in which I reside. I also contribute money to my church which is also a charity. However I did raise the issue with my shepherd when I was made the treasurer. Found out that they have not being submitting their "Financial Statements" for years (unintentionally) and also technically, not carrying out their charitable obligations to the full. My shepherd at the time tried to sweep it under the carpet, so i resigned. cool

That is my point.
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by Image123(m): 4:29pm On Mar 08, 2011
^thank you i understand your position. Just needed a yes/no though.
Re: Should Churches Have Millions In The Bank by Jenwitemi(m): 8:40pm On Mar 08, 2011
The catholic church has tens if not hundreds of billion euros(prefer that to the weak dollars)worth of gold bullion, so what is the point of this question? Churches are moneymaking enterprises, so they will have riches in the bank vaults. It has always been like that since time immemorial.

(1) (Reply)

Christian Soliders, Stay Loyal Like Daniel / Actually, That's Not In The Bible / Hail Mary?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.