Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender (2892 Views)

SuperFalcons Defender Faith Ikidi Weds (photos) / Arsenal Sign Brazilian Defender 'Gabriel Paulista' / England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by davmor(m): 10:10pm On Mar 05, 2011
Please good people of Nairaland, I salute you all.
I need your helps please, can any one give me highlights on all the skills needed by a Defender basically wing number 5 or 6, who do tackle and how do I guide my back.
Please I need full details on how to be a good Half back defender.
Thanks all a millionX
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by medjai(m): 11:48am On Mar 06, 2011
Aggression: Be aggressive against attackers.

Strength: This is the most important physical attribute of a defender. You need to be strong because defending involves a lot of pushing, running, harrying, and what have you.

Heading: Good aerial ability to deal with crosses and aerial threats.

Bravery: That is, when getting into tackles, you shouldn't be afraid.

Positioning: This is one of the most important skills of a defender. The ability to be at the right place at the right time. It also means being able to read the game.

Creativity/ flair/attacking instinct: Back in the 90's, this won't be considered an essential attribute of a defender but now the game's change. Some teams, Barcelona, for example, like to build their attack from the defence. You hardly see them clear out the ball, rather, they turn defence into attack. The defender sometimes is required to help bolster the team's attack especially when the team is desperately in need of a goal. Countless times, we've seen Pique, Vidic, etc, score crucial goals for clubs. Truth is, centrebacks nowadays must have some attacking instinct in them.
It doesn't have to be only at set pieces that they go up front. Everybody, defenders inclusive, must contribute to the team's attack.

Tackling: Be good with your tackles. Know when to go hard or otherwise.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by davmor(m): 11:50pm On Mar 06, 2011
medjai:

Strength: This is the most important physical attribute of a defender. You need to be strong because defending involves a lot of pushing, running, harrying, and what have you.

Positioning: This is one of the most important skills of a defender. The ability to be at the right place at the right time. It also means being able to read the game.

Creativity/ flair/attacking instinct: Back in the 90's, this won't be considered an essential attribute of a defender but now the game's change. Some teams, Barcelona, for example, like to build their attack from the defence. You hardly see them clear out the ball, rather, they turn defence into attack. The defender sometimes is required to help bolster the team's attack especially when the team is desperately in need of a goal. Countless times, we've seen Pique, Vidic, etc, score crucial goals for clubs. Truth is, centrebacks nowadays must have some attacking instinct in them.
It doesn't have to be only at set pieces that they go up front. Everybody, defenders inclusive, must contribute to the team's attack.

thank you so much brother, I am glad. please can you highlight again on Midfielder number 4. his duties and aim thank you I will also like you to advise me on which position to choose between the defender and midfielder and also what i can do to get strenght/energy.
thanks and God bless you.
The reason of all these my questions is because I want to make football my career.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by medjai(m): 11:38am On Mar 07, 2011
davmor:

thank you so much brother, I am glad. please can you highlight again on Midfielder number 4. his duties and aim thank you I will also like you to advise me on which position to choose between the defender and midfielder and also what i can do to get strenght/energy.
thanks and God bless you.
The reason of all these my questions is because I want to make football my career.
A defensive midfielder? It's about the same skills but I'll add the following attributes:
1. Decision making: This also applies to defenders and every other position. The role of the defensive midfielder has evolved over the years. Box to box midfielders are more appreciated these days. In addition to shielding the defence, defensive midfielders are also expected to go forward and help the team's attack. Essien, Song, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets, Lassana Diarra, are classic examples of box to box midfielders. Decision making applies here in the sense that, you have to know when to sit back and defend and when to move forward and help the team attack.

2. Passing: A defensive midfielder must be very good at distributing the ball. Of what use would it be if you win balls in the midfield but can't effectively distribute it to team mates in advantagious positions? So a defensive midfielder must be a good passer.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by davmor(m): 10:21pm On Mar 08, 2011
I am so happy for all your kindness.
Thank you and God continue to bless you, amen.
I am getting all your directions and am interested on your Club, I think its BFC?
All what you are telling me is making me to feel as though I am getting into my career, which is football.
I will like to add you in my contact, can you give me you e-mail address? send to davi_heroricman@yahoo.com
so that I can chat with you.
Am grateful once again and I want to know whether you are advicing me to continue all my research on becoming a good defensive midfielder?
As a learner, please let me understand very well, I think wing number is the defensive midfielder?
I am trying now to equip myself in a wing that you will advice me on so as to prepare me for trail in and of the European countries.
I love your description
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by medjai(m): 3:07pm On Mar 09, 2011
davmor:

I am so happy for all your kindness.
Thank you and God continue to bless you, amen.
I am getting all your directions and am interested on your Club, I think its BFC?
All what you are telling me is making me to feel as though I am getting into my career, which is football.
I will like to add you in my contact, can you give me you e-mail address? send to davi_heroricman@yahoo.com
so that I can chat with you.
Am grateful once again and I want to know whether you are advicing me to continue all my research on becoming a good defensive midfielder?
As a learner, please let me understand very well, I think wing number is the defensive midfielder?
I am trying now to equip myself in a wing that you will advice me on so as to prepare me for trail in and of the European countries.
I love your description
Amen! and thanks. I'm a Barca fan. I"ll mail you straight up.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by davmor(m): 11:14pm On Mar 15, 2011
Thanks a lot am seriously happy for your comply.
please guide me, this defensive midfielder, i think is wing number 4?
Again I am planning to go into Kwara Football Academy, is it advisable or do I have to remain in my present club as it also give me the chance to work as a computer graphic artist?
Please I just want to face Football and know all about it, how do you guide me.
I am a leaner, how and what do you think that I have to know primarily?
THINGS like defending, attacking, trowing, passing, nodding-ball/heading, shooting, scoring-goal, ball control, dribbling, refree offense dictate, slide heading, all whole skills about football.
thanks and remain on top, Amen.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by steph212(f): 12:38pm On Mar 17, 2011
medjai:

Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by raphrinco: 3:17pm On Mar 24, 2011
THANKS A LOT FOR UR POINTS AND ADVISE,AM ALSO A CENTRAL DEFENDER IN QATAR, I CHANGED FROM RIGTH BACK TO CENTRE BACK BUT I LIKE ALL YOUR OUTLINES. PLEASE WHICH COUNTRY DO YOU THINK IS EASY TO SIGN A FOOTBALL CLUB? BECAUSE WAITING FOR THE SCOUTS OR AGENTS TO TAKE YOU TO EUROPE,IS NOT EASY THESE DAYS.SO WE HOPE ON GOD AND DECIDE TO TAKE THE BULL BY THE HORN.CHEERS
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by Kgdavid(m): 1:34pm On Mar 30, 2011
davmor:

Please good people of Nairaland, I salute you all.
I need your helps please, can any one give me highlights on all the skills needed by a Defender basically wing number 5 or 6, who do tackle and how do I guide my back.
Please I need full details on how to be a good Half back defender.
Thanks all a millionX

u'v got ur wing numbers all wrong, half backs are 2 and 3. these are the players who play on the flanks of the defence eg taye taiwo. centre backs are 4 and 5 these are the players who play in the centre of defence. 6 is the defensive midfielder who usually plays right in front of the defence.
now as a half back you do need to be
1.Good tackling. as a full back you will come up against skilfull players in one on one situations and you will need to be able to stop them for if they succesfully dribble past you, your teams flank will be exposed.
2.Fast. most wingers are really fast so you will need to be fast enough to keep up with them or you will find them sprinting past you again leaving your teams flank exposed. depending on your teams tactics you will likley be also expected to bomb forward and support in attack from time to time.
3.Able to read the game/good positioning. you need to be able to predict the runs of your opponent and close down the space he would have used to exploit your flank. often good marking is enough to take a winger out of the game.
4.Good crossing ability. as stated above you will be required to bomb forward and assist the attack usually by delivering crosses wen your winger has moved in or is tightly marked.
5.Some dribbling ability. again this is connected to ur function of bombing forward, yu will need to be able to dribble past opposing defenders as you make your way forward.

for central defender you need three basic skills
1. good heading ability!!! this is paramount
2.good positioning/marking/game reading.
3.good tackling.

the two most important aspects of central defending are being able to clear arial balls and being able to intercept balls on the ground before they reach the striker in a dangerous position. both require the centre back to be a good reader of the game.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by davmor(m): 10:43pm On Mar 30, 2011
6 is the defensive midfielder who usually plays right in front of the defence.
I really thank you so much Kgdavid for your brotherly correction and explanations.
Please am so happy with all these that you have elaborated and haven read through your beautiful and truthful explanation, I have understood the wing and position I wanted help on, which is 6, Defensive Midfielder and 4, as Attacking Midfielder.
Please basically on that of the Defensive Midfielder, I will much more appreciate your kindness if you can give me full foundation knowledge and basic roles or duties of the position: Defensive MIDFIELDER. Again I want to confirm from you whether 4, is truely an attacking midfieldert or wha?
I have too much zeal about making football my career through God's help and guide and presently am working as a computer graphic artist and as well planning to quit from it and join Football Academy so as to make sure am trained very well and as well boost my chances of getting a trail in abroad rather than training with just ordinary Club around here in Onitsha, which it may be dificult to boost chances.
So I want to know whether its Ok, because some friends are telling me to start trainging here in Onitsha since I can still be working, but haven thought of making football my career I think its better I go to Football Academy where I can be well groomed for future professional footballing. The Academy am planning for is Kwara Football Academy Ilorin, whose Director is Clement_Westerhof.
Please patiently go through all these my requests and grant me a helpful answer as am in confusion on both the Defensive role or duties, 4, Attacking Midfielder and that of joining an Academy.
As for the Defensive Midfielder and Attacking Midfielder I mean, I want to train very well on those two positions, so help me.
Thank you once again am grateful.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by Kgdavid(m): 12:41am On Mar 31, 2011
ok well the number 4 is that of the second central defender. in reality players can wear any number but the key thing to note is that the number 1 is alwalys that of the goal keeper while the nmbers 2 and 3 are always those of half backs, the number 5 is always given to a centre back but the numbers 4 & 6 are commonly rotated among players playing in defense or midfield. now before going on to elaborate on the job of the defensive and offensive midfielders i would lke to advise you to pick one specific role and train harder at that one rather than tryin everything.
the defensive midfielder has the job of protecting the defence in several ways. as a DM you will be expected to win the ball back from opponents especially when they have the ball in your half-this means you will have to tightly mark oppossing midfield players as well as assist either of your half backs when under attack. you will be expected to be able to control and pass the ball with a high degree of accuracy cuz you control the tempo of the team. if you lose the ball due to poor control or a mislaid pass it could very easily lead to a dangerous counter attack for the opponents. so you will need good control, good awareness and you must have the vision and good technique to be able to make long range passes. you will of course need to be very strong though you dont necessarily need to be very fast and you need to read the game very well so as to intercept passes and stop attacks etc. stamina is a must cuz as a DM you will have to do a lot of running both defensively and offensively. though you dont have to be the best dribbler in the world, a DM might need to carry the ball forward himself when other more attacking players are tightly marked.

now the offensive midfielder first and foremost must be a very good passer of the ball, should be an intelligent player capable of creating opportunites, possess a good shot(good shooting ability) and should have stamina as well. the offensive midfielder will have to support the DM in battling for the ball as well as support the attacking players by making runs into the box or hangin on the edge of the box.

these are just broad classifications cuz in modern day football there are actually four central midfield roles. these are

defensive midfielder
deep lying play maker
box to box midfielder
attacking midfielder

i have already explained the first and last category and the other two are variations of defensive and offensive midfielders.
will expound on the others when i come back
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by davmor(m): 1:57am On Mar 31, 2011
A very big Thank to you Kgdavid for your elaborations so far.
Am really getting them and I want to wholey train on 6,-Defensive Midfielder.
So please give me more highlights on this position.
As you said, i want to traing very well on one position, which is (No. 6) Defensive Midfielder. And please quote me on this my plan to enrole with Kwara Football Academy Ilorine and please list certain benefits attached to going football academy.
Thank you toooooo much and remain favoured by God, more wisdom from Him to you in Jesus name, Amen.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by medjai(m): 7:32am On Mar 31, 2011
Kgdavid:

u'v got your wing numbers all wrong, half backs are 2 and 3. these are the players who play on the flanks of the defence eg taye taiwo. centre backs are 4 and 5 these are the players who play in the centre of defence. 6 is the defensive midfielder who usually plays right in front of the defence.
now as a half back you do need to be
1.Good tackling. as a full back you will come up against skilfull players in one on one situations and you will need to be able to stop them for if they succesfully dribble past you, your teams flank will be exposed.
2.Fast. most wingers are really fast so you will need to be fast enough to keep up with them or you will find them sprinting past you again leaving your teams flank exposed. depending on your teams tactics you will likley be also expected to bomb forward and support in attack from time to time.
3.Able to read the game/good positioning. you need to be able to predict the runs of your opponent and close down the space he would have used to exploit your flank. often good marking is enough to take a winger out of the game.
4.Good crossing ability. as stated above you will be required to bomb forward and assist the attack usually by delivering crosses wen your winger has moved in or is tightly marked.
5.Some dribbling ability. again this is connected to your function of bombing forward, yu will need to be able to dribble past opposing defenders as you make your way forward.

for central defender you need three basic skills
1. good heading ability!!! this is paramount
2.good positioning/marking/game reading.
3.good tackling.

the two most important aspects of central defending are being able to clear arial balls and being able to intercept balls on the ground before they reach the striker in a dangerous position. both require the centre back to be a good reader of the game.
No Kgdavid.
1 - Goalkeeper
2- Right-back, 3-Left-back: They're generally referred to as fullbacks or wingbacks depending on how they are deployed.
4- Defensive midfielder
5- Centre-back, 6-Centre-back: They're also known as half-backs
7- Right winger
8- Support striker
9- Striker
10- Attacking midfielder
11- Left winger.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by Kgdavid(m): 10:25pm On Mar 31, 2011
did a little quick research and apparently u appear to be mostly right. thanks for the correction.
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by Kgdavid(m): 10:29pm On Mar 31, 2011
davmor:

A very big Thank to you Kgdavid for your elaborations so far.
Am really getting them and I want to wholey train on 6,-Defensive Midfielder.
So please give me more highlights on this position.
As you said, i want to traing very well on one position, which is (No. 6) Defensive Midfielder. And please quote me on this my plan to enrole with Kwara Football Academy Ilorine and please list certain benefits attached to going football academy.
Thank you toooooo much and remain favoured by God, more wisdom from Him to you in Jesus name, Amen.

im not in nigeria so i cant really advise you on what to do specifically in regards to the system in nigeria but your decision should be based on a few things.
!. how old are you? there is usually an age bracket foor academy players
2. how experienced are you? you might not need an academy to improve your skills if yu already have a reasonable level of experience
3. do you have someone backing you up and is ready to foot your living costs and day to day needs?
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by raphrinco: 9:17pm On Apr 01, 2011
hi my pal i will like to give you some advice,dont be too fast ,leave everything for god and dont rush the game is a time success so when your own time comes ,by gods grace no 1 can stop you.you said you are into business rite?please before going fully into the game you must make a good savings.football nowadays needs a lot of back ups,so i dont want you to make mistake and turn back to regret.thanks
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by davmor(m): 11:19pm On May 08, 2011
Thank you I will heard to your words of advice
Re: Skills Needed As A Half Back Defender by davmor(m): 11:21pm On May 08, 2011
Kgdavid:

im not in nigeria so i cant really advise you on what to do specifically in regards to the system in nigeria but your decision should be based on a few things.
!. how old are you? there is usually an age bracket foor academy players
2. how experienced are you? you might not need an academy to improve your skills if yu already have a reasonable level of experience
3. do you have someone backing you up and is ready to foot your living costs and day to day needs?

I am glad big friend here for your concern and deep friendly decision planning. Actually I clock 20 years this April 11th and in the side of sponsor, I am like a tree standing alone in terms of financial back-up except God, I am the only one taking care of myself and as well planning to emback on this. Secondly, I am presently working as a Graphic Artist and I was granted the time for my training, when I narated my ambition to our boss.
I beleive in talent; thisi I mean, I have a considerable experience and I do receive so many commend from team mates each time we went for training, basically on my defending and tackling skill and ball control and with these, I can say I have a reasonable level of experience. Truthfully, I don't have someone backing me up and it gives me much concern, but my mind do assure me that i shall scale through. So big Friend, haven heard all these, what do you advice again? Thank you once again.

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Play Squash In Lagos / Mali Vs Belgium: FIFA U-17 Semi Final (Full TIme) 3 - 1 / Italy Advanced On Penalties As Messi And Argentina Beaten By Colombia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.