Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,598 members, 7,816,481 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? (3203 Views)

Redmi Note 9s Vs Infinix Note 7: We Have A New Budget King!!! / Are The Mid-range Smartphones Getting Closer To Flagships? / Is This the King of Budget Phones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 10:21pm On Oct 24, 2020
It hurts me to see people buying phones that the performance, camera and hardware quirks are really not that impressive for their price tag,
most of the time the only thing they have going for them is the battery life.

But why not invest that money wisely by getting an older flagship, there are lot of older flagships devices that has gone under the radar due to unfair backlash from critics, or maybe people don't like their skins on top of android or their prices have just dropped, either way that doesn't debar them from being excellent devices.

I'm not a marketer of any sorts, I just want people to realize that there are premium options for them, and some of these devices are; Lg v20, Lg G6, Lg V30, Lg G7, Lg V40, Huawei mate 10, Sony xperia xz3, essential phone ph-1, xiaomi mi mix 2S, Honor 9, Honor 10, moto z force, moto z3, Google pixel 2xl, there are so much more I could mention but I'm typing this right out the top of my head, so I might not remember some. You can see the Lg was the most mentioned device here, that's because they've been unfortunate with selling those devices as they were launched as flagships, those phones slipped under the radar because they didn't get the attention they deserve, I'm not promoting them in anyway, Google is your friend, check for the phones I listed here and check how they compare with new budget devices and tell me what you think.

As for me, I'd pick an older flagship rather than a new budget phone, anyways that's what I wanted to share.

8 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by TrollKiller(m): 10:27pm On Oct 24, 2020
False analogy.
Most modern budget phones are better than old flagships.
For example the redmi 9 is far better than the redmi note 7 and a close match to the note 8
All round, modern budget phones beat old flagships.
You can't pit a Narzo 10A with a Samsung S7. Tech grows fast.
Unless you want to talk about tecno, infinix and itel phones. Those ones are a story of mediocrity

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 10:32pm On Oct 24, 2020
TrollKiller:
False analogy.
For example the redmi 9 is far better than the redmi note 7 and a close match to the note 8
Unless you want to talk about tecno, infinix and itel phones. Those ones are a story of mediocrity

Bro did you even calm down to see the list of phones I put up there, I never mentioned the Samsung s7 simply because it's not better value for the money, and you mentioned the redmi note 7, Lol, let me not elaborate too much, but the RN7 wasn't launched as a flagship device

8 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by TrollKiller(m): 10:36pm On Oct 24, 2020
Lovepeacetrust:

Bro did you even calm down to see the list of phones I put up there, I never mentioned the Samsung s7 simply because it's not better value for the money, and you mentioned the redmi note 7, Lol, let me not elaborate too much, but the RN7 wasn't launched as a flagship device
Lol, okay I made a mistake with the redmi ish, but why did you ignore the Narzo and sammy comparison? I can give you more if you want.
You just made my argument stronger.
The redmi note 9 is a budget smartphone that beats the S8
The redmi note 8 is a budget smartphone that beats the S7
The Note 9s even beats iphone 7 I dare say.
What else?

1 Like

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by seyema(m): 10:47pm On Oct 24, 2020
God bless, I bought Google pixel 2xl for 70k instead of redmi note 8

1 Like

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 12:07am On Oct 25, 2020
TrollKiller:
Lol, okay I made a mistake with the redmi ish, but why did you ignore the Narzo and sammy comparison? I can give you more if you want.
You just made my argument stronger.
The redmi note 9 is a budget smartphone that beats the S8
The redmi note 8 is a budget smartphone that beats the S7
The Note 9s even beats iphone 7 I dare say.
What else?

Lol the narzo 10A isn't even that impressive for its price point, I already said the S7 wasn't worth mentioning,
Meanwhile the s8 is still a solid device, the redmi note 9/9S just has flashy specs, it's good for the price, the s8 justs comes a tiny bit lower than the note 9s in terms of performance, but it's faster in some cases than the note 9, it's still a very snappy device, the cameras on the note 9/9s are more versatile, since they're about the same price I'd give it to the note 9S specifically... but I've got a few phones up there that'd beat the note9/9s, the Lg V40, essential ph-1, Huawei mate 10/10 pro, and the xiaomi mi mix 2S(they're about the same price but the mi mix 2S is a much better buy compared to the note 9S except for the mediocre battery life) the cheapest of them all is the Lg v40, and for the price it's really crazy to see that the phone is still very solid and it beats the redmi note 9/9S in every way except for the battery life of course which is a bit mediocre, but all in all those 3 phones are cheaper than the redmi and they beat redmi, like I said what these new budget phones have going for them is only the battery but what those flagships phones are offering is how much value for you're going to get for your money and honestly those older flagship takes the cake.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 12:15am On Oct 25, 2020
seyema:
God bless, I bought Google pixel 2xl for 70k instead of redmi note 8

Good choice, you could have squeezed in a bit more to get the pixel 3 xl and you'd be swimming in premium waters.. anyways hope you're rocking those solid cameras
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by DeBrain045(m): 1:10am On Oct 25, 2020
Lovepeacetrust:
It hurts me to see people buying phones that the performance, camera and hardware quirks are really not that impressive for their price tag,
most of the time the only thing they have going for them is the battery life.

But why not invest that money wisely by getting an older flagship, there are lot of older flagships devices that has gone under the radar due to unfair backlash from critics, or maybe people don't like their skins on top of android or their prices have just dropped, either way that doesn't debar them from being excellent devices.

I'm not a marketer of any sorts, I just want people to realize that there are premium options for them, and some of these devices are; Lg v20, Lg G6, Lg V30, Lg G7, Lg V40, Huawei mate 10, Sony xperia xz3, essential phone ph-1, xiaomi mi mix 2S, Honor 9, Honor 10, moto z force, moto z3, Google pixel 2xl, there are so much more I could mention but I'm typing this right out the top of my head, so I might not remember some. You can see the Lg was the most mentioned device here, that's because they've been unfortunate with selling those devices as they were launched as flagships, those phones slipped under the radar because they didn't get the attention they deserve, I'm not promoting them in anyway, Google is your friend, check for the phones I listed here and check how they compare with new budget devices and tell me what you think.

As for me, I'd pick an older flagship rather than a new budget phone, anyways that's what I wanted to share.

Fact

5 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by SoroSoke(m): 2:08am On Oct 25, 2020
TrollKiller:
False analogy.

I agree. Plus older flagships offer lesser power, lesser fast charging, slower processors, old operating systems, cameras without today's capabilities.

Even affordable itel phones which are less than ₦30k offer some of these newer technologies than older "flagships"

1 Like

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by seyema(m): 6:52am On Oct 25, 2020
Lovepeacetrust:

Good choice, you could have squeezed in a bit more to get the pixel 3 xl and you'd be swimming in premium waters.. anyways hope you're rocking those solid cameras

Yes o, I'm about to upgrade again

1 Like

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Meister(m): 9:08am On Oct 25, 2020
Lovepeacetrust:

Lol the narzo 10A isn't even that impressive for its price point, I already said the S7 wasn't worth mentioning,
Meanwhile the s8 is still a solid device, the redmi note 9/9S just has flashy specs, it's good for the price, the s8 justs comes a tiny bit lower than the note 9s in terms of performance, but it's faster in some cases than the note 9, it's still a very snappy device, the cameras on the note 9/9s are more versatile, since they're about the same price I'd give it to the note 9S specifically... but I've got a few phones up there that'd beat the note9/9s, the Lg V40, essential ph-1, Huawei mate 10/10 pro, and the xiaomi mi mix 2S(they're about the same price but the mi mix 2S is a much better buy compared to the note 9S except for the mediocre battery life) the cheapest of them all is the Lg v40, and for the price it's really crazy to see that the phone is still very solid and it beats the redmi note 9/9S in every way except for the battery life of course which is a bit mediocre, but all in all those 3 phones are cheaper than the redmi and they beat redmi, like I said what these new budget phones have going for them is only the battery but what those flagships phones are offering is how much value for you're going to get for your money and honestly those older flagship takes the cake.

This your argument is flawed given that the mi mix 2s and LG v40 are both still way more expensive than the note 9s.

Seeing you pitting the essential ph1 against note 9s probably because of its processor is an insult.
The only comparison I might agree with there is the Huawei because it's still a very strong device and its pricing now is affordable.

New inventions is also a big issue, nobody wants turn their phone around just to take a group picture when they can switch to landscape mode, some of these older processor are also not well optimized to play recent games and nobody wants to be stuck on Android 9 when Android 11 is on the way
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Breezzy(m): 9:32am On Oct 25, 2020
None of xiaomi's latest budget phones can beat my Google pixel 3xl

4 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Buzx: 10:18am On Oct 25, 2020
Breezzy:

This phone is a beast. I don't think it's that old. It's just 2018. The only downside is the battery.

4 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Elxandre(m): 10:25am On Oct 25, 2020
TrollKiller:
False analogy.
Redmi notes are not even close to flagship.

7 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Elxandre(m): 10:34am On Oct 25, 2020
I'm always baffled.
LG V50 and LG G8 are just last year devices but you could get them for practically the same price as midrange Xiaomis and the likes.

These phones are monsters but people don't even see them, they just want the newest shiniest hardware even when it matters not much.
Android since Android 9 has very little in terms of improvement and you'd hardly notice you aren't on the latest Android.

Its funny because we buy intel core i7 6th generation processor computers happily but when it comes to mobiles, we complain about a year old device.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 12:42pm On Oct 25, 2020
SoroSoke:

I agree. Plus older flagships offer lesser power, lesser fast charging, slower processors, old operating systems, cameras without today's capabilities.

Even affordable itel phones which are less than ₦30k offer some of these newer technologies than older "flagships"

What!!!! I don't think you know what flagship devices are, imagine you saying they offer slower processors, do you know what the snapdragon 835 and 845 can still do in 2020, they play high end games on high settings smoothly.
and even mentioning itel phones lower than 30k offer newer tech grin, jesus christ wtf can an helio p22, p23 device do nitori olohun...

The cameras of the older flagship offer much better quality than what you can get, please do you findings, do you know what a single lens of the pixel 2 xl can offer you, the only thing I agree with you on is the battery life, but please don't say they're offer slow charging cuz last time I checked they offer wireless and wired fast charging.

7 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 12:51pm On Oct 25, 2020
Meister:

This your argument is flawed given that the mi mix 2s and LG v40 are both still way more expensive than the note 9s.

Seeing you pitting the essential ph1 against note 9s probably because of its processor is an insult.
The only comparison I might agree with there is the Huawei because it's still a very strong device and its pricing now is affordable.

New inventions is also a big issue, nobody wants turn their phone around just to take a group picture when they can switch to landscape mode, some of these older processor are also not well optimized to play recent games and nobody wants to be stuck on Android 9 when Android 11 is on the way

grin the way most of you carry software updates ehn, some people don't know what they do sef, they just want to have the latest android OS, please and please the SD 835, 845, kirin 970 can very much play high end games on high settings, make your findings sir.. the Lg v20, G6, G7, v30, v40 offer wide angle lens even without that that's not a solid reason to neglect them over the newer ones

And bro the SD on the essential phone is very much on par with the 720G on the note 9S, if you must know the 835 outperforms the 720G on gaming performance, the 720G only edges out a little in cpu performance and battery consumption.

If you know where to look the Lg v40 is crazy cheap, and the mi mix 2S is about the same price with the note 9S.

3 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 12:56pm On Oct 25, 2020
Elxandre:
I'm always baffled.
LG V50 and LG G8 are just last year devices but you could get them for practically the same price as midrange Xiaomis and the likes.

These phones are monsters but people don't even see them, they just want the newest shiniest hardware even when it matters not much.
Android since Android 9 has very little in terms of improvement and you'd hardly notice you aren't on the latest Android.

Its funny because we buy intel core i7 6th generation processor computers happily but when it comes to mobiles, we complain about a year old device.

Bro you get the gist joor cool

1 Like

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Meister(m): 1:01pm On Oct 25, 2020
Lovepeacetrust:

grin the way most of you carry software updates ehn, some people don't know what they do sef, they just want to have the latest android OS, please and please the SD 835, 845, kirin 970 can very much play high end games on high settings, make your findings sir.. the Lg v20, G6, G7, v30, v40 offer wide angle lens even without that that's not a solid reason to neglect them over the newer ones

And bro the SD on the essential phone is very much on par with the 720G on the note 9S, if you must know the 835 outperforms the 720G on gaming performance, the 720G only edges out a little in cpu performance and battery consumption.

If you know where to look the Lg v40 is crazy cheap, and the mi mix 2S is about the same price with the note 9S.

When you say their prices are about the same you're referring to second hand devices that might have been used for up to 2 years and might have gone through some repairs not forgetting that the battery would probably be in bad shape, that's really not worth risking 100k on.
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Meister(m): 1:04pm On Oct 25, 2020
Elxandre:
I'm always baffled.

I don't where you buy your own devices but the v50 is still expensive AF. You might even see people selling a V50 with crack on its screen at more than 120k

2 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 1:10pm On Oct 25, 2020
Meister:

When you say their prices are about the same you're referring to second hand devices that might have been used for up to 2 years and might have gone through some repairs not forgetting that the battery would probably be in bad shape, that's really not worth risking 100k on.

Brother man like I said if you know where to look you'd get the mi mix 2s for about the same price as the note 9S, the new one sells for about 84k on jumia although it's shipped from abroad, so you're gonna have to pay for shipping..

Trust me if you look well on eBay, you'd get a very clean looking and very well functional mi mix 2S for a cheaper price even if it's used
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Transiter(m): 1:14pm On Oct 25, 2020
Lovepeacetrust:

What!!!! I don't think you know what flagship devices are, imagine you saying they offer slower processors, do you know what the snapdragon 835 and 845 can still do in 2020, they play high end games on high settings smoothly.
and even mentioning itel phones lower than 30k offer newer tech grin, jesus christ wtf can an helio p22, p23 device do nitori olohun...

The cameras of the older flagship offer much better quality than what you can get, please do you findings, do you know what a single lens of the pixel 2 xl can offer you, the only thing I agree with you on is the battery life, but please don't say they're offer slow charging cuz last time I checked they offer wireless and wired fast charging.

Oga, some older "flagship" phone cameras do not offer portrait mode which people so much like.

Some of their cameras lack depth sensors.

Some of their designs fail to capture the evolving techs around smartphone design. One can spot you are holding an old phone from afar.

Some of them are shit with those annoyingly large bezels.

Some of them are Dual cores sef.

I can go on and on.
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by brutustech: 1:15pm On Oct 25, 2020
Who would when compare new budget phones to old flagship? A56 by itel is a new budget phone, likewise S16 FYI
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Meister(m): 1:23pm On Oct 25, 2020
Lovepeacetrust:

Brother man like I said if you know where to look you'd get the mi mix 2s for about the same price as the note 9S, the new one sells for about 84k on jumia although it's shipped from abroad, so you're gonna have to pay for shipping..

Trust me if you look well on eBay, you'd get a very clean looking and very well functional mi mix 2S for a cheaper price even if it's used

Bro my argument was never about it looking clean, somebody can manage a phone well for a year that doesn't stop the phone from being a year old.

The last time I saw the Mi mix 2s on jumia it was almost 100k for the 6/64 variant; I'll obviously not buy a 64gb vairant of a phone that doesn't have an m.card slot.

I hope you understand that on eBay you're dealing with individuals that want to sell off their products so you can't really be sure of the state of the phone
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 1:37pm On Oct 25, 2020
Transiter:

Oga, some older flagship phone cameras do not offer portrait mode.

Some of their cameras lack depth sensors.

Some of their designs fail to capture the evolving techs around smartphone design. One can spot you are holding an old phone from afar.

Some of them are shit with those annoying large bezels.

Some of them are Dual cores sef.

I can go on and on.

Bro you certainly don't know what you're talking about, It seems you don't know the kind of phones I'm talking about, I'm talking of 2017-2018 flagship devices.. they usually don't have anything less than octa-core CPU's

Where did you see huge bezels on lg G7, v30, v40, Huawei mate 10, xiaomi mi mix 2S

See as you carry portrait mode like say na one exclusive feature, all these phones offer portrait mode and if you aren't content, you can download gcam which makes the already good cameras even much more better, the pixel 2 xl only has a single lens and it performs better than all these high praised quad cameras of the new budget devices.

As per design, that's what luring most people, cuz of punch hole camera design and stuff, if you're all about design you can go for the newer budget ones to suit you, the older flagships aren't ugly either.

4 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by 11Anonymous(m): 1:38pm On Oct 25, 2020
Make una two dey argue. Person go still buy wetin dey e mind.

2 Likes

Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 1:40pm On Oct 25, 2020
11Anonymous:
Make una two dey argue. Person go still buy wetin dey e mind.

Abi nah bros, me I just dey talk my mind
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by darkhorizon: 1:44pm On Oct 25, 2020
Breezzy:

Pixel 3xl vs 4a?
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 1:46pm On Oct 25, 2020
Meister:

Bro my argument was never about it looking clean, somebody can manage a phone well for a year that doesn't stop the phone from being a year old.

The last time I saw the Mi mix 2s on jumia it was almost 100k for the 6/64 variant; I'll obviously not buy a 64gb vairant of a phone that doesn't have an m.card slot.

I hope you understand that on eBay you're dealing with individuals that want to sell off their products so you can't really be sure of the state of the phone

And what if the phone is a year old does it stop it from being fully functional??

There are always reviews about the store you're buying from on eBay, you can always check.

And please check jumia again, I still checked it just now and it's about 84k.

Anyways whatever rocks your boat sir
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by fuckboys: 2:01pm On Oct 25, 2020
Elxandre:
I'm always baffled.

I love this comment, some of these phones are beasts but underrated, mosts of LG phone are great phones with badass cameras but underrated. Check this beast out in same prices with the xiaomis
https://m.gsmarena.com/lg_g8x_thinq-9844.php
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Meister(m): 2:29pm On Oct 25, 2020
Lovepeacetrust:

And what if the phone is a year old does it stop it from being fully functional??

There are always reviews about the store you're buying from on eBay, you can always check.

And please check jumia again, I still checked it just now and it's about 84k.

Anyways whatever rocks your boat sir

I still can't find the mi, what name is it under ? lemme search for it
Re: Older Flagships Or New Budget Phones? by Lovepeacetrust: 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2020
Meister:

I still can't find the mi, what name is it under ? lemme search for it

Xiaomi mi mix 2s, it's the very first result you'll see

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Mtn Magic Sim Stopped / We Need Custom Roms For Innjoo Fire / Infinix Hot 3 Problem Engineers Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.