Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? (5155 Views)

Latest Blackberry Passport To Cost $600 (N96,000) / Is Jailbreaking An Idevice (iphone) Really Worth It? / Iphone: Is It Really Worth All The Hype? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by MP007(m): 5:03am On Jun 26, 2007
Is The New Iphone Really Worth Investing In? 600 Dollars !
[img]http://images.apple.com.nyud.net:8090/iphone/images/2007/06/iphone_hero_20070621.jpg[/img]
phone+mp3+ipod+internet+video conf+message+3 way call etc, for 600 dollars.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by ima1(f): 6:00am On Jun 26, 2007
most def.

but then again ur monthly bill will be off the roof
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 26, 2007
depends on how many of those functions you'll actually wind up using.

also on if the competition roll out a cheaper version b4 your phone has earned its worth.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by mddude(m): 9:11am On Jun 26, 2007
MP007:

phone+mp3+ipod+internet+video conf+message+3 way call etc, for 600 dollars
Are you freaking outta your mind? $600 for some iPhone? I guess you dont have anything to do with your money. Go feed some hungry kids somehere in el salvador or guatemala first! but on the real though, you dont have to spend that amount on a phone that is not widely used. Most new technologies come out expensive, all you need to do is to wait in after a year the same phone or a the second generation of it will sell for half or 1/3 of the price.

The rule of the thumb with new technology is dont buy it - they are still concepts and until the 2nd or 3rd generation of the products, most of the products are still craps that havent been perfectise yet - You will be used as a guinea pig while using your hard earned money in the process
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by denex: 10:11am On Jun 26, 2007
I think a phone with those features is worth $600 (N75,000). Consider the Nokia N95 at $900 (N115,000). So I think the price is fair though its features do not measure fully to the N95.

The issue I have with buying these new highend phones is that the very first versions may have software problems, mechanical problems, firmware wahala, circuitry errors and all. But after the first six months they would have recieved a lot of complaints and made corrections. So don't buy so early. You'll get the more trouble-free version, and it'll be much cheaper too.

I'm planning to buy the Nokia N95 because the camera is out of this world. But I'm still giving it till September or November.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by TerraCotta(m): 3:30pm On Jun 26, 2007
The price is insane (there's a $500 model too, BTW) but the phone's features are pretty unique. It's not outrageous for business users who want a phone will full browser support, video voicemail etc. There are many phones in that price range if you don't factor in contract discounts etc. I've been going back and forth on getting one since February, but the fact that it's first-gen/untested with so many possible glitches (the touchscreen keypad has been criticized a lot; glass screen prone to scratching; battery life issues etc.) makes me want to wait. That and the fact that they want you to get into a 2-year contract to get the phone at all is ridiculous to me. There's no denying that it's a great machine though.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by TopeFl(m): 8:27am On Jun 27, 2007
Md Dude Nice Talk there I dey feel you.

Na White man dey rush all these things here. I was a Nokia Phone freak too but I studied the market and its actually true that you wait a while and allow the price drop or next Gen fone of the same family come out b4 buying.

1 thing is that you dont know what Bleep up the fone will bring, the more complicated a fone is, the more problems to fix it when it crashes. I bot a nokia 7710 when it came out (=N=92,000) and after a few months it crashed, I fixed it and travelled to Naija with it Can you believe that they stole it from the pouch when I was in a bus.

I hail Una.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by dblock(m): 9:25am On Jun 27, 2007
It's not worth investing into.

Even though the Interface may look flash, the Navigation as advanced as it may be is not efficient.

It's a good phone, but I wouldn't advice anyone to buy it. wink
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by lobinoxebe(m): 11:08am On Jun 27, 2007
i think we gat hungry people on this forum,

why y'all talking like u're living below 1 dollar, although am a born nigerian with much respect to my motherland and i know how things is going on right now,

the issue of $600 confuse lots of people, let me tell you it's not up to 80,000 naira compare to NOKIA E SERIES.WHICH IS SOLD FOR 105,000 NAIRA,

so guys, let no dollar decieve us, $,
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by cream2(m): 11:15am On Jun 27, 2007
The very first time I saw the iphone, I literally had tears in my eyes - damm that baby is fine.

I do agree with most posters though that its generally advisable to wait till the modifications have been made and the phone perfected from real user experiences.

HOWEVER, there are those that get a buzz from getting a piece of kit at launch when no one else has it, cool factor comes to mind, not just with your peers but also with yourself knowing that you were part of the very first who rocked this.

Whether I would 'invest' in this? No but I would buy, cause once you bought it the value has already dropped and will never rise again unless you dont use it and it becomes a classic!
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by mddude(m): 11:23am On Jun 27, 2007
lobinoxebe:

i think we gat hungry people on this forum,

why y'all talking like u're living below 1 dollar, although am a born nigerian with much respect to my motherland and i know how things is going on right now,

the issue of $600 confuse lots of people, let me tell you it's not up to 80,000 naira compare to NOKIA E SERIES.WHICH IS SOLD FOR 105,000 NAIRA,

so guys, let no dollar decieve us, $,
I guess some people's priority are different and not based on hunger. Some people just believe it has something to do with your status. Look I use HP iPAQ6515. It was supposed to be one of the best products around when it came out. I have been using the product for over 1 year now. It came out at $599 though I got it much less than that. It is the crapiest phone I ever used. It crashed like no man business. Cingular has replaced that phone 6 times within 1.5 years. It does basically what iPhone. I got tired of it and I use a blackberry now. Like I said, the whole thing about iPhone is the way it is being market and the media behind it. Wait till the technology matures - The truth is I listen to Wall street Journal radio every morning and the already written it off based on the review - they gave it a pass for all its other functions except its supposedly primary functionality which is as a phone. I heard this same review on NPR
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by dblock(m): 11:38am On Jun 27, 2007
Abeg the phone is overrated.

It's just a Bar Phone that ought to be classed as a PDA.

Is the Size of the Phone Ergonomic?

Is the Touch Screen Interface Efficient?

Think about how long it would take to make a single phone call

Have the developers addressed the problem of Familiarity and compatibility.?

at 600 Yanks, is it really worth the hype. I mean there are better phones out there. wink
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Christino(m): 1:32pm On Jun 27, 2007
Apple are known to produce notoriously expensive electronics. Good design and intentions but definitely not the best in the market. Reminds me of ipod/zune.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Ezinwannem: 3:28pm On Jun 27, 2007
if you want the phone, chillaz and wait for next year ending, it will def. fall, lol tongue
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Bossman(m): 4:28pm On Jun 27, 2007
The price will probably come down. Especially, when apple starts to roll out versions for other carriers/countries. For now, you can only have this phone if you are a cingular/AT&T customer. And, I believe there is an exclusive 2 year contact with cingular too. The phone will also definitely be locked to cingular. Now, as a cingular customer, I cannot spend $500 on a phone. A lot of phones with similar features (Blackjack, BB pearl, etc.) can be got for free with a 2 year contract.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by obong(m): 7:24pm On Jun 27, 2007
most def.

but then again your monthly bill will be off the roof

the monthly bill is actually about the same as other phones
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by randa(m): 7:38pm On Jun 27, 2007
saw i review on abc's early morning show, its kinda too much for 600 dollars and the other cue is that there no tabs everything is touch screen, for chaps like me whi want to be in the lecture theatre and do other stuff it will be too tasking, and then it is only available ot at&t subcribers, but when it comes to nigeria, trust naija, enuf effizie dem go buy am
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by TerraCotta(m): 7:55pm On Jun 27, 2007
The reviews so far are glowing. The iPhone can't be compared to other handsets currently out--it's got too many revolutionary features. $500 and a two-year contract is still a little too heavy in my eyes, but you can't deny that this phone is next-level technology.

From Apple.com:

“The phone is so sleek and thin,” reports David Pogue (New York Times) in his review of iPhone, that “it makes Treos and Blackberrys look obese.” And the software transcends. “It’s fast, beautiful, menu-free, and dead simple to operate.” If you need “to answer a call, you can tap Answer on the screen, or pinch the microscopic microphone bulge on the white earbud cord. Either way, music or video playback pauses until you hang up.” As for email, it’s “fantastic. Incoming messages are fully formatted, complete with graphics; you can even open (but not edit) Word, Excel and PDF documents.” And “the Web browser,” he points out, “is the real dazzler.” No “stripped down, claustrophobic My First Cellphone Browser; you get full Web layouts, fonts and all, shrunk to fit the screen. You scroll with a fingertip — much faster than scroll bars. You can double-tap to enlarge a block of text for reading, or rotate the screen 90 degrees, which rotates and magnifies the image to fill the wider view.” In short, Pogue calls the iPhone, “the most sophisticated, outlook-changing piece of electronics to come along in years.” [Jun 26, 2007]
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by SweetT1: 8:36pm On Jun 27, 2007
I've reserved one at Best Buy. I will go pick it up on Friday evening. I got hook up by one of the guys that works there !
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by temmyabby(f): 12:45am On Jun 28, 2007
ummh kul tongue well D only way i'm getting one is if sum1 buys 1 4 me grin
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by omogenaija(f): 12:45am On Jun 28, 2007
when the razor first came out it was like $500 with a plan and now razors are really cheap ,
so i will get an iphone when the price drops to like maybe $200

but i'm sure someone will be nice enough to buy it for me
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by achinu(m): 3:37pm On Jun 28, 2007
Invest that $600 in Apple stocks & you'll get a better ROI (return on investment) on your money rather than buying a phone that will become obselete in about a year when a new model is released!
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by BBoy3(m): 3:41pm On Jun 28, 2007
I suppose having such a phone has it's benefits but unfortunately short lived. I'd buy one and be sure to take advantage of all the features as best as i can - Then sell it in Naija n use the money as dispossable cash grin
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 28, 2007
the problem wont even be the $600 tab for the phone but the monthly bills you will rack up to utilise the phone's several functions.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by texazzpete(m): 7:50pm On Jun 28, 2007
Wait a sec! The iPhone isn't $600. it's $600 with a 2 year contract tying you to Cingular. Buying the iPhone when/if it finally becomes availiable standalone will cost a whole lot more.

And the way apple's selling it, you buy it, then you connect it to itunes and then you choose the payment plan you want. so if you buy it without signing the Cingular contract, you can't use it.

omogenaija:

when the razor first came out it was like $500 with a plan and now razors are really cheap ,
so i will get an iphone when the price drops to like maybe $200

but i'm sure someone will be nice enough to buy it for me

Sorry to burst your rose-colored bubble, but Apple ain't Motorola. the iPhone will hit $200 in maybe 4 years time. Not before.

But seriously, why buy a crippled 'smartphone' that isn't really smart, you can't install 3rd party app son it, and worse of all, it doesn't have 3G!!
Considering the fact that all the major networks in naija will be rolling out their new 3G service later this year, not having 3G sucks massively. Yes, the browser's cool, but try loading pages on GPRS.

One more thing: Unlike 99% of other smartphones out there, the iPhone cannot edit or create Excel, Word or PDF files. In fact, you cannot even set your Mp3 files as ringtones except you buy them from Apple's site. . .
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by omogenaija(f): 11:20pm On Jun 28, 2007
texazzpete:

Sorry to burst your rose-colored bubble, but Apple ain't Motorola. the iPhone will hit $200 in maybe 4 years time. Not before.

i know that , and when it hits $200 thats when i will get me one cool
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by capricon: 12:26am On Jun 30, 2007
Sonyericsson P1i, the mother of all smart phone
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by Bossman(m): 12:41am On Jun 30, 2007
Apple is a different beast! And people do not mind paying a hefty premium for it's product, especially the apple aficionados. I doubt that phone's price will drop as quickly as the RAZR's did. Now, there may be a stripped down version for a lower price though. Also, at least for now, it will not be sold unlocked via 3rd party like all other phones. It is going to be sold exclusively via a carrier. Cingular has a 2-year exclusive right in the US. I heard that Vodafone UK will be getting it by the end of the year. Again, they will likely be the only one in the UK that will sell it for a specific period of time.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by niyyie(m): 11:20am On Jun 30, 2007
Apple's iPhone is over-priced.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by GNature(m): 1:07am On Jul 01, 2007
It's a pretty cool device with its all in one capacity, but it's too damn expensive.

The best thing is to wait a couple of months/years for the price to come down.

Even if I was a millionaire, I don't think I'll purchase that device for $600.
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by MP007(m): 2:28am On Jul 02, 2007
really appreciate yall replying the post, there is a new problem, people are finding it difficult to connect to the internet with the new iphone,
Re: Is The New $600 iPhone Really Worth Investing In? by omogenaija(f): 2:31am On Jul 02, 2007
damn that sucks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Recover My Privacy Protection Password For My Infinix Hotnote X551? / Grand Theft Auto Iv Apk + Obb Download (gta iv) For Android / What Happen To Mtn Data4me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.