Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,794 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:05 AM

Adding Value To The Raw Materials We Are Blessed With In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Adding Value To The Raw Materials We Are Blessed With In Nigeria (2726 Views)

DOLLAR SCARCITY:manufacturers turn to local raw materials. / The High Value Of The Naira In The Eighties (Picture Proof) / Raw materials in nigeria - Manufacturing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Adding Value To The Raw Materials We Are Blessed With In Nigeria by RoughCut(m): 1:14pm On Jun 26, 2007
N`landers

I have been doing some research about some of the abundant raw materials and natural resources(excluding petroleum) we have been blesssed with in this land. I came to the conclusion that because we dont add value to these resources the people who travail to produce these material will always be at the mercy of the buyers of these primary products and hence they are able to dictate and manipulate the prices as they so desire not to talk of wastage due to lack of processing and storage capacity.

Take a point in case there is an abundance of cassava in the land but how many processing plants do we have that can convert this primary product into semi-processed or processed materials? very few sadly. If we take a little bit step further and we can start thinking of investing convering cassava into cassava chips for example i see limitless possibilities here. Almost everybody is on the bandwagon of fish farming but how many fish processing plants do we have? i`m sure you can answer that question.

The implications are that we have closed our eyes to the lucrative opportunities in the local and export markets. Why should we be exporting our raw materials and spend valuable foreign exchange to import these products back into the country at unfavourable currency exchange rates? Look at soya beans, gum arabic for example if we can add value to these raw materials there is a huge export market out there in Europe,Asia and America. These products are valuable input in the pharmaceutical, paint making and chemical industries to name a few. So the question is what am i driving at?

While we make feeble at attempts at utilizing these raw materials by adding value from my findings i think we are only scratching the surface. Look at the raw materials and research development council website --------------> www.rmrdc.gov.ng they have done a lot of work and commissioned a lot of projects just waiting for investors who can spot the abundant opportunities in processing our raw materials.

I`m particularly interested in fish processing so ideas on how to move forward with this initiative is welcome. I need to invest some of my cash, i`m into stocks and shares and properties both in nigeria and abroad but i believe we can still do more. Nigeria is blessed and its about time we started looking inwards at those things we seem to have overlooked. We are blessed as a nation and its high-time we started exploiting what we have been blessed with!

I seriously believe that South Africa, Congo, Angola and Nigeria are perhaps among the most blessed countries on planet earth so why are we still ranking at the bottom of every league table as the statisticians would have us believe? Think about this and lets start a productive discussion
Re: Adding Value To The Raw Materials We Are Blessed With In Nigeria by xploits777(m): 10:36pm On Jul 25, 2007
This is real good. please keep the good work.
Re: Adding Value To The Raw Materials We Are Blessed With In Nigeria by poske(m): 9:12pm On Jul 26, 2007
How realistic are some of these things also, you really need a strong appetite. Imagine a situation were it will cost you the same amount to establish a pure water factory compared to a ceramic factory which will you do that is if NEPA or what is their name allows u.

Anyway the future is bright, i am interested in processing metal ores any help, i need grinder e.t.c

(1) (Reply)

Aliko Dangote Is The 334th Richest Man In The World! / Lean How To Start Your Own Poultry Business: / Two Nigerians In Forbes' ‘Ten Young African Millionaires To Watch' List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.