Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,511 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions (832 Views)

How Do I Tell My Mum That She Has Body Odour? / What Causes Sweating And Body Odour. / See How To Naturally Cure Mouth Odour; Causes, Symptoms And Natural Remedy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions by ProphetofOdin: 4:41pm On Oct 30, 2020
So yesterday i walked into a skill acquisition centre filled with teenagers between the age of 12 to 18 and the ooze almost made me pass out, so i decided to research and find out what is the cause of this age long mistery, since m primary school days i have noticed that female teenagers have a particular ooze but i never took it serious until yesterday.

Why is female teens’ body odor so strong?

Teens just sweat more, according to Rebecca Mather, a member of a University of Wisconsin-Extension/UW-Madison team that shares research in parenting education and adolescent development.

“One consequence of puberty is an increase in new hormones,” reports Mather. “These hormones cause an increase in the amount of moisture teens’ sweat glands produce.”

Add to that the fact that teens sweat in more places on their bodies. During puberty, hormones cause a different type of gland—primarily under the arms and in the groin area—to produce oils in addition to sweat. Bacteria breaking down oily sweat under the arms and in the groin area that produce body odor.

Surprisingly, sweat alone doesn’t smell bad. It’s bacteria living on the skin and clothing, breaking down the oily sweat that actually produces body odor.

Smelly feet are caused by something different. While feet don’t have the glands that produce oily sweat, socks and shoes retain moisture allowing bacteria and yeast to grow on feet, causing a different type of bad smell.

Finally, new hormones produced during puberty cause teen sweat to contain chemicals that aren’t present in childhood. These chemicals produce stronger odors as they break down.

Managing teen body odor

–The obvious first line of defense is to wash. Parents should encourage youth to wash their armpits and groin area at least once a day and after exercising; washing removes bacteria as well as sweat and oils.

–Youth should shower or bathe regularly. Hair and skin also produce additional oils during adolescence and will not look or smell great without regular cleaning.

–Use antibacterial soap, deodorant and antiperspirant. Antibacterial soap kills bacteria that interact with sweat to cause body odor. Deodorant contains aluminum, which stops bacteria from growing. Antiperspirant blocks sweat ducts, producing less sweat, which also equals less bacteria.

–Dry feet thoroughly after washing. Young people with foot odor should use cotton socks to absorb moisture and avoid wearing shoes without socks. Another tip is to use deodorant or antiperspirant on the bottom of dry feet.

When nothing works

See a doctor for help. “There are prescription remedies than can address the problem,” says Mather. “Young teens should not face the potential embarrassment that can result from unchecked body odor. While increased body odor is a normal part of adolescence, being able to manage it is an important part of growing up.”

To learn more about issues affecting teens and preteens, consider joining the “Parenthetical” online community. “Parenthetical” features weekly articles about parenting topics based on research and the collected lessons and wisdom of parents.

source: https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/news/2015/07/07/adolescent-body-odor-ripe-for-discussion/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 30, 2020
Those folks can smell, most especially from their armpits.

1 Like

Re: Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions by lymelyte(m): 10:45am On Nov 01, 2020
LIVINGICON:
Those folks can smell, most especially from their armpits.
it is common with teen.. The smart one with the tutelage of elders around them quickly help them correct that defect by telling them to bath often but alot aren't lucky enough to know on time and hence develop body odor that last till adulthood.
Re: Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions by Nobody: 12:22pm On Nov 01, 2020
lymelyte:
it is common with teen.. The smart one with the tutelage of elders around them quickly help them correct that defect by telling them to bath often but alot aren't lucky enough to know on time and hence develop body odor that last till adulthood.

You hit the nail damn well. I remembered some years back, i was in the midst of some female teenagers (17-19). If you see hairs wey dey their armpits. They were quite much. They were all sweaty. They were just trying to gum my body. Obviously loving my body fragrance.

3 Likes

Re: Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions by lymelyte(m): 12:36pm On Nov 01, 2020
LIVINGICON:

You hit the nail damn well. I remembered some years back, i was in the midst of some female teenagers (17-19). If you see hairs wey dey their armpits. They were quite much. They were all sweaty. They were just trying to gum my body. Obviously loving my body fragrance.
cheesy
Re: Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions by Konquest: 7:15pm On Oct 31, 2021
ProphetofOdin:
So yesterday i walked into a skill acquisition centre filled with teenagers between the age of 12 to 18 and the ooze almost made me pass out, so i decided to research and find out what is the cause of this age long mistery, since m primary school days i have noticed that female teenagers have a particular ooze but i never took it serious until yesterday.

Why is female teens’ body odor so strong?

Teens just sweat more, according to Rebecca Mather, a member of a University of Wisconsin-Extension/UW-Madison team that shares research in parenting education and adolescent development.

“One consequence of puberty is an increase in new hormones,” reports Mather. “These hormones cause an increase in the amount of moisture teens’ sweat glands produce.”

Add to that the fact that teens sweat in more places on their bodies. During puberty, hormones cause a different type of gland—primarily under the arms and in the groin area—to produce oils in addition to sweat. Bacteria breaking down oily sweat under the arms and in the groin area that produce body odor.

Surprisingly, sweat alone doesn’t smell bad. It’s bacteria living on the skin and clothing, breaking down the oily sweat that actually produces body odor.

Smelly feet are caused by something different. While feet don’t have the glands that produce oily sweat, socks and shoes retain moisture allowing bacteria and yeast to grow on feet, causing a different type of bad smell.

Finally, new hormones produced during puberty cause teen sweat to contain chemicals that aren’t present in childhood. These chemicals produce stronger odors as they break down.

Managing teen body odor

–The obvious first line of defense is to wash. Parents should encourage youth to wash their armpits and groin area at least once a day and after exercising; washing removes bacteria as well as sweat and oils.

–Youth should shower or bathe regularly. Hair and skin also produce additional oils during adolescence and will not look or smell great without regular cleaning.

–Use antibacterial soap, deodorant and antiperspirant. Antibacterial soap kills bacteria that interact with sweat to cause body odor. Deodorant contains aluminum, which stops bacteria from growing. Antiperspirant blocks sweat ducts, producing less sweat, which also equals less bacteria.

–Dry feet thoroughly after washing. Young people with foot odor should use cotton socks to absorb moisture and avoid wearing shoes without socks. Another tip is to use deodorant or antiperspirant on the bottom of dry feet.

When nothing works

See a doctor for help. “There are prescription remedies than can address the problem,” says Mather. “Young teens should not face the potential embarrassment that can result from unchecked body odor. While increased body odor is a normal part of adolescence, being able to manage it is an important part of growing up.”

To learn more about issues affecting teens and preteens, consider joining the “Parenthetical” online community. “Parenthetical” features weekly articles about parenting topics based on research and the collected lessons and wisdom of parents.

source: https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/news/2015/07/07/adolescent-body-odor-ripe-for-discussion/
Deep insights... Nice post!
Re: Female Teenagers Body Odour; Causes And Solutions by Konquest: 7:46pm On Oct 31, 2021
LIVINGICON:

LMAO... You brutally cracked
me up with your 1-year-old
post. grin What body fragrance
did you use back then?

Depilatory creams or powders would have resolved the bushy armpits... and the use of roll-ons too.

Females have more nasal sensory nerves and sharper sense of smell than men... So they pick up smells faster. grin

(1) (Reply)

New Latest Update About Don Davis From The Hospital (video) / Help Frustrated And Want To End Things / Excessive Guilt!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.