Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,014 members, 7,828,575 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba (19858 Views)

IPPIS: Why Some Lecturers Are Getting N6000 Salary – Accountant General / We Are Considering Reopening Schools After Interstate Travel Ban- Emeka Nwajiuba / IPPIS: Some VCs Collected N58,000 As February Salary – ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by shadeyinka(m): 10:23am On Nov 04, 2020
9jatriot:
The same system discovered the error, ASUU wants to go back or bring a system where they can as well overpay themselves and no one is the wiser.

Over 450 MDAs are aready on IPPIS, only ASUU wants to form stubbornness, moreover, government employed each lecturer as a person and not as ASUU. A time will come where FG will ask all VCs to reopen schools with the lecturers under their employment then the cultural group called ASUU or ASUN can continue holding themselves hostage.

I work in a research institution similar to the setup of the university. Since we joined IPPIS, we have not been able to get a single sabbatical research staff, we've not been able to employ a single Adjunct staff, we've not been able to employ a single postdoctoral research personnel and not a single visiting researcher (more than 15 years now). All these are part of our mandate just as the universities.

Unfortunately, IPPIS does not cater for all these. The universities are saying that government should modify IPPIS to take care of this of which the government said no: it's too expensive. ASUU then said, okay we'll develop one for you free of charge (UTAS) and FG says okay. The UTAS is ready and being tested by the FG BUT they still insist that it has to be IPPIS as it is or nothing.

Research thrives only when you can with flexibility attract the best brains to your facilities. The FG has simply reduced lectures duties only to classroom teaching: One then wonders if the FG know the reason for the establishment of our tertiary and research institutions.

FYI:
There is no way UTAS will fly if lecturers salaries increase by 1%

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by loko50(m): 10:23am On Nov 04, 2020
baggioni:
undecided Infact this ASUU has to be taught a lesson, they are eating more than they can chew.

Typical Nigerian politician mentality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by donbrowser(m): 10:26am On Nov 04, 2020
Karlifate:
In summary, IPPIS has a lot of irregularities.

ASUU was right afterall.

I was telling a guy about this few days ago. He didn't believe me. IPPIS is a crazy platform and comes with stupid taxes. That aside, it will have terrible effect on accomplishment of curriculum by school departments because they will be unable to borrow lecturers from federal to state universities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Nukilia: 10:37am On Nov 04, 2020
Gabbriell:
Bro, at this point in time education is no longer a top priority for me oo. Education-wise, P.H.D is the only thing I have not achieved thus far which is not a big deal for me.I just pity the level of incompetence in Nigeria.
Education has been reduced to the lowest low. You'll feel like crying for the nation when you realise that those we asked to lead the country do not have a clue as to how our country can work better.

2 Likes

Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Nukilia: 10:38am On Nov 04, 2020
Tejucoco:

Very senseless

grin grin grin E pain am
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by bluefilm: 10:39am On Nov 04, 2020
Audio Excess salary Payment.
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by 9jatriot(m): 11:14am On Nov 04, 2020
Great, point well noted and presented.
I do not understand the 15 years you wrote because I do not believe you guys joined IPPIS for more than 2-3 yrs. Granted that there are some challenges but it still does not give ASUU the right to go on strike, expect salary and refuse to join your employer's platform of paying you. If I was also the employer and my staff comes with UTAS and refuses to join my own platform, I will also reject UTAS. If ASUU wins this fight, all the other agencies will start a revolt, which will not end well. Agencies like yours for example.
The best bet is for ASUU to register on the employer's platform and fight for those visiting and other stuffs to be added. Going on a 7 months strike and collecting salary irritates me to no end.
shadeyinka:

I work in a research institution similar to the setup of the university. Since we joined IPPIS, we have not been able to get a single sabbatical research staff, we've not been able to employ a single Adjunct staff, we've not been able to employ a single postdoctoral research personnel and not a single visiting researcher (more than 15 years now). All these are part of our mandate just as the universities.

Unfortunately, IPPIS does not cater for all these. The universities are saying that government should modify IPPIS to take care of this of which the government said no: it's too expensive. ASUU then said, okay we'll develop one for you free of charge (UTAS) and FG says okay. The UTAS is ready and being tested by the FG BUT they still insist that it has to be IPPIS as it is or nothing.

Research thrives only when you can with flexibility attract the best brains to your facilities. The FG has simply reduced lectures duties only to classroom teaching: One then wonders if the FG know the reason for the establishment of our tertiary and research institutions.

FYI:
There is no way UTAS will fly if lecturers salaries increase by 1%
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by harmony75: 11:20am On Nov 04, 2020
excess payment in salary??!! that is why lectures goes on strikes anyhow they like.
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Joshmanuel10(m): 11:31am On Nov 04, 2020
ASUU And FG are only interested in their pockets
Bleep this entire country
No thoughts on how the students are doing
And how level of education is useless
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by sinkhole: 11:35am On Nov 04, 2020
ASUU : If the scheduled negotiations with Government happened to be deadlocked again then never waste your time on futility anymore. Forget about everything and forge ahead with other intellectual adventures and listen to no one for it is on record that you tried your best. The situation will naturally resolves itself, how that would happen remains to be seen. Note that where there is brain there must be wealth and you are the best brains so harness your skills to create your own wealth for your own comfort. At this point you have sacrificed enough and further sacrifice could be endangering and perilous. Think of it! You love, they hate, you offered they denied, you proffered solution they rejected, you produced most of them they decimated you, and you selflessly work for the Nation and they selfishly work against you. While you developed most of them, you choose out of the love and passion for your profession to remain materially undeveloped. Rethink dear Comrades rethink. Society that doesn’t value education would certainly have illiteracy at its peril. I salute the rare altruism of our Comrades but i it is enough for the society appreciates not. Chaw !!!

Sani Lawal
Department of Sociology
Bayero University, Kano
03/11/2020
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Charlie2020(f): 11:38am On Nov 04, 2020
inteli:
Exactly what ASUU has been saying about IPPIS, very fraudulent tool use by government to defraud the country. God help us cry
. Everything can't be smooth at the outset. Corrections would be made with time. The truth is that, with IPPIS, a lot of corruption in salary payment will be corrected and ASSU who are the beneficiaries of the corruption will do everything possible to frustrate it. Many corrupt accountants and chief executives in core ministries also tried everything possible to blackmail the IPPIS but failed
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Tajbol4splend(m): 11:41am On Nov 04, 2020
REALretep:
Just imagine
This government has no plans for the youth oo

Did you read and understand the post at all
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by shadeyinka(m): 11:47am On Nov 04, 2020
9jatriot:
I do not understand the 15 years you wrote because I do not believe you guys joined IPPIS for more than 2-3 yrs.
My research organisation is under the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology and so, we've been on IPPIS since it's inception. Sorry its not about 15 years, it's about 7years ago.

9jatriot:

Granted that there are some challenges but it still does not give ASUU the right to go on strike, expect salary and refuse to join your employer's platform of paying you. If I was also the employer and my staff comes with UTAS and refuses to join my own platform, I will also reject UTAS. If ASUU wins this fight, all the other agencies will start a revolt, which will not end well. Agencies like yours for example.
If only the FG had listened to ASUU initially and factored in the solution to this problem, strikes would not have been needed. The issue did not just start this year between ASUU and the Government. It had been on for more than five years with nothing happening from the end of the government.

9jatriot:

The best bet is for ASUU to register on the employer's platform and fight for those visiting and other stuffs to be added. Going on a 7 months strike and collecting salary irritates me to no end.
If those of us under IPPIS can only grumble with no change, what do you think will happen to ASUU? The NASU are regretting joining IPPIS for they have been tricked into it by the FG. ASUU foresaw the problem and asked for a modification to suit their system but the FG would not bulge.

Moreover, not every government parastatal/agency is on IPPIS, why the hoolabula about ASUU?

The bottom line truth is that the fight is not between ASUU and the FG, it is between The Ministry/Civil Service and ASUU. The civil servant perceive ASUU to be Arrogant and Proud and they want to cut them to size. Don't forget that university Lecturers earn better than the civil servants except in agencies that are protected by the FG such as FIRS, CBN and NNPC.

My submission:
The FG is yet to know the purpose for establishing their tertiary institutions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by sinkhole: 11:48am On Nov 04, 2020
9jatriot:
I do not understand the 15 years you wrote because I do not believe you guys joined IPPIS for more than 2-3 yrs. Granted that there are some challenges but it still does not give ASUU the right to go on strike, expect salary and refuse to join your employer's platform of paying you. If I was also the employer and my staff comes with UTAS and refuses to join my own platform, I will also reject UTAS. If ASUU wins this fight, all the other agencies will start a revolt, which will not end well. Agencies like yours for example.
But when your employer is flouting the agreed working document, do you, as an employee, keep quiet?
Government signed a University Miscellaneous Provisions Act into law and that law does not put University in the same class as other civil servants, the law puts the payment of salaries and other emoluments in the hands of the University Governing Council but Office of the Accountant General is now usurping the function of the University Councils and the FG is behaving as if their is no rule of law to be obeyed.
The law is here for you to read: https://laws.lawnigeria.com/2018/04/19/lfn-universities-miscellaneous-provisions-act-1993-no-11/

1 Like

Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by inteli: 11:53am On Nov 04, 2020
Charlie2020:
. Everything can't be smooth at the outset. Corrections would be made with time. The truth is that, with IPPIS, a lot of corruption in salary payment will be corrected and ASSU who are the beneficiaries of the corruption will do everything possible to frustrate it. Many corrupt accountants and chief executives in core ministries also tried everything possible to blackmail the IPPIS but failed

Enlighten me. How is ASUU beneficiaries of corruption?
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Adinoyi119(m): 12:10pm On Nov 04, 2020
“Some people even got salaries that were not adequate. Some people over got and had to refund. There were so many issues with it.”

The major reason for the adoption of University Transparency Account System (UTAS) for the personnel management of ASUU members over the Almighty IPPIS.
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by samuelpeters(m): 12:10pm On Nov 04, 2020
shadeyinka:

My research organisation is under the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology and so, we've been on IPPIS since it's inception. Sorry its not about 15 years, it's about 7years ago.

If only the FG had listened to ASUU initially and factored in the solution to this problem, strikes would not have been needed. The issue did not just start this year between ASUU and the Government. It had been on for more than five years with nothing happening from the end of the government.

If those of us under IPPIS can only grumble with no change, what do you think will happen to ASUU? The NASU are regretting joining IPPIS for they have been tricked into it by the FG. ASUU foresaw the problem and asked for a modification to suit their system but the FG would not bulge.

Moreover, not every government parastatal/agency is on IPPIS, why the hoolabula about ASUU?

The bottom line truth is that the fight is not between ASUU and the FG, it is between The Ministry/Civil Service and ASUU. The civil servant perceive ASUU to be Arrogant and Proud and they want to cut them to size. Don't forget that university Lecturers earn better than the civil servants except in agencies that are protected by the FG such as FIRS, CBN and NNPC.

My submission:
You really understand how the system works.
I'm tired of explaining to ignorant people how IPPIS is not good for the university system.
Infact most people do not know how the university operates.

If FG is sincere let them modify IPPIS to suit the system or accept UTAS.

This Minister of state talks a lot of nonsense. I don't usually take his talk serious.
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by 9jatriot(m): 12:24pm On Nov 04, 2020
1: If I work in GTB and I am no longer interested in their terms and condition, I will move to another bank or sulk it up. Same with Total, NNPC, Shell and co. Going on strike over payment platform when you know you must get paid is fraud if you ask me. I can understand strike for non payment of salary but more than 7 months strike over a payment platform is an overkill if you ask me.
2: I will have a look at the law you posted. later, thanks for it. My experience has shown me that laws can be interpreted by both parties to suit their needs. FG can claim that university council are only acting as caretaker or representatives. In any case, you guys need to know that if you keep pushing this law to the face of FG, they will just send an amendment to NASS and sign a new law into place in no time. E non hard to do if u ask me. Striking over a payment platform not that they are owing you is in my opinion ward below decency.
sinkhole:

1: But when your employer is flouting the agreed working document, do you, as an employee, keep quiet?
2: Government signed a University Miscellaneous Provisions Act into law and that law does not put University in the same class as other civil servants, the law puts the payment of salaries and other emoluments in the hands of the University Governing Council but Office of the Accountant General is now usurping the function of the University Councils and the FG is behaving as if their is no rule of law to be obeyed.
The law is here for you to read: https://laws.lawnigeria.com/2018/04/19/lfn-universities-miscellaneous-provisions-act-1993-no-11/
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by 9jatriot(m): 12:33pm On Nov 04, 2020
Points well articulated and noted.
However, you guys have been working for those 7 years and have justified your salary, striking for so long and ASUU will collect their 7 months salary not worked for, no private agency will accept that. Never.

So it is even a proxy war. The fact is, if I was FG, the arrogance of ASUU will not even allow me listen to their argument no matter how sound it may be, NASU are making noise because of ASUU stand off. If ASUU wins, your own organization will also go on strike in less than 6 months, so will doctors and many other MDAs, listening to ASUU is not inn the best interest of FG from a leadership position. Once you allow one descent, you loose control which FG does not want to do.

shadeyinka:

My submission:
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by luminouz(m): 12:46pm On Nov 04, 2020
Doradorwa:
Well... Why force them into a payment platform that has so many irregularities... Imagine saying some of them were over payed.... A platform that took them millions to develop... Well... I'm not surprised... This is Nigeria... God bless Nigeria.

Lol, you are really bored at home!!! Now I see!!!
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Nobody: 12:54pm On Nov 04, 2020
luminouz:

Lol, you are really bored at home!!! Now I see!!!
Actually I don't even stay at home...I'm a shoe maker and I spend 12 hours at work everyday... 7am-7pm... I'm only interested in ASUU/FG matter because it concerns me.
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Chibueze90: 1:04pm On Nov 04, 2020
Charlie2020:

oga just listen to what you're saying....don't you read news, didn't you hear that each person enrolled on ippis, fg pays $12 per year to the owner of the platform in USA?... imagine 1million people enrolled, that total to $12million ...Are you not aware that ippis was being rented to Nigeria?..read fact before you talk like your Minister of state for education

2 Likes

Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by luminouz(m): 1:17pm On Nov 04, 2020
Doradorwa:
Actually I don't even stay at home...I'm a shoe maker and I spend 12 hours at work everyday... 7am-7pm... I'm only interested in ASUU/FG matter because it concerns me.

Can you build for me? Palm sandals??
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by frog12: 1:19pm On Nov 04, 2020
and whose fault is it? govt!
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by LIFEPLAN: 1:28pm On Nov 04, 2020
One day, I will tell my younger ones and children about this NONSENSE that is happening this year in Nigeria. FG should accept ASUU's payment platform ASAP let's move forward. Is it only ASUU FG see to force on this IPPIS issue? Don't we have other sectors? Nigeria should pleaae Awake from this dirty sleep.
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Nobody: 1:34pm On Nov 04, 2020
luminouz:

Can you build for me? Palm sandals??
smileyI can...but your location matters... smiley
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by luminouz(m): 1:42pm On Nov 04, 2020
Doradorwa:
smileyI can...but your location matters... smiley

Oyaaaaaa....let's do business wink

Location bawo? No be to use bus send am to me where I am ni?
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 04, 2020
luminouz:

Oyaaaaaa....let's do business wink

Location bawo? No be to use bus send am to me where I am ni?
smiley I will not like to derail this thread...you can send me a mail..
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by REALretep(m): 2:25pm On Nov 04, 2020
Tajbol4splend:

Did you read and understand the post at all
Tell me who is the biggest loser in this battle between FG and ASUU.
Who suffers most when two elephants are fighting?
I'm waiting for your answer...
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by zikter(m): 3:28pm On Nov 04, 2020
9jatriot:
1: If I work in GTB and I am no longer interested in their terms and condition, I will move to another bank or sulk it up. Same with Total, NNPC, Shell and co. Going on strike over payment platform when you know you must get paid is fraud if you ask me. I can understand strike for non payment of salary but more than 7 months strike over a payment platform is an overkill if you ask me.
2: I will have a look at the law you posted. later, thanks for it. My experience has shown me that laws can be interpreted by both parties to suit their needs. FG can claim that university council are only acting as caretaker or representatives. In any case, you guys need to know that if you keep pushing this law to the face of FG, they will just send an amendment to NASS and sign a new law into place in no time. E non hard to do if u ask me. Striking over a payment platform not that they are owing you is in my opinion ward below decency.
1. The greatest mistake some of you are making is pinning the current strike on IPPIS. ASUU has repeatedly explained the five points contained in an agreement signed with FG I'm 2013. The violation of the agreement initiated the current strike. IPPIS which became a sixth issue came up after the strike on the five points began.
And employees are never slaves to their employers and should not just answer yes to any thing the employer says. Under labour laws, unionism is a right and strike is one of the tools used in settling labour disputes.
I feel our government is grossly insincere in almost everything including their issues with ASUU. Agreements will be signed amicably and government will simply renege without reasons and without responding to series of enquiry by ASUU. Of course, ASUU will resort to strike which is the only language any Nigerian government listens to. It is sad that many youths are caught up in this irresponsible circle orchestrated by the successive insensitive governments
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by luminouz(m): 3:51pm On Nov 04, 2020
Doradorwa:
smiley I will not like to derail this thread...you can send me a mail..
Ok
Re: IPPIS: Some Lecturers Got Excess Salaries, Had To Refund – Emeka Nwajiuba by 9jatriot(m): 3:54pm On Nov 04, 2020
Every statement ASUU makes has always been in how bad IPPIS is so do not blame us when IPPIS is all we hear. Unionism as practiced in this regards is done wrongly. If you do not like your work and call it slavery, you resign.
Try and work for an Indian company then you will understand the real meaning of slavery, not this one you can afford not to go to work and fellow workers will cover for you.
The worst of all of these are state Universities ASUU joining a stupid strike that does not even concern them.

zikter:
1. The greatest mistake some of you are making is pinning the current strike on IPPIS. ASUU has repeatedly explained the five points contained in an agreement signed with FG I'm 2013. The violation of the agreement initiated the current strike. IPPIS which became a sixth issue came up after the strike on the five points began.
And employees are never slaves to their employers and should not just answer yes to any thing the employer says. Under labour laws, unionism is a right and strike is one of the tools used in settling labour disputes.
I feel our government is grossly insincere in almost everything including their issues with ASUU. Agreements will be signed amicably and government will simply renege without reasons and without responding to series of enquiry by ASUU. Of course, ASUU will resort to strike which is the only language any Nigerian government listens to. It is sad that many youths are caught up in this irresponsible circle orchestrated by the successive insensitive governments

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Is Correct 'elder Brother' Or 'senior Brother' Or 'older Brother'? / Caption This Picture / Covenant University Suspends Over 500 Students Few Days To Examinations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.