Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,484 members, 7,836,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn (5717 Views)

Dead Woman In Morturay Comes Back To Life In UNIBEN Anatomy Class (VIDEO) / Newborn Baby Dumped Inside Dustbin In Oko Poly Female Hostel (Graphic Photos) / The Korowai People Of New Guinea Who Live On Trees And Eat Human Flesh(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Missyajoke(f): 8:13pm On Nov 05, 2020
The Korowai tribe’s provincial contact with people dates back to 1978. This was when videos of the first contact with the tribe began to surface. The Korowai were afraid of people coming from the outside world and at such, they prepared to defend themselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Missyajoke(f): 8:14pm On Nov 05, 2020
They fortified themselves by building very tall tree houses which they call “rumah tinggi”. The famous tree houses consist of 4 or 5 rooms in total.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Missyajoke(f): 8:15pm On Nov 05, 2020
However, the most interesting thing about the Korowai tribe would be their method of weaning newborn babies in the community. In other parts of the world, only a child's mother is exclusively allowed to do the breastfeeding, however, the reverse is the case for the Korowai.

1 Like

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Missyajoke(f): 8:15pm On Nov 05, 2020
Among the Korowai, there is a method of shared parenting where any woman in the community can lay claim to the child's growth and development.

This happens in the event that the child is an infant. Any tribe member who has milk will breastfeed the child and mother him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Missyajoke(f): 8:16pm On Nov 05, 2020
In the isolated Korowai tribe, the duty of men is to meet the needs of the house, catch game animals, gather fruits and vegetables and feed the children.

Economic family management of this tribe is in the hands of women. In the isolated Korowai tribe, there are shamans because of their religious beliefs. These shamans are called Khekhua and they deal with witchcraft and healing.

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Noblemarce: 9:25pm On Nov 05, 2020
hmmm
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by illicit(m): 9:34pm On Nov 05, 2020
hmmmm
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by pek(m): 9:39pm On Nov 05, 2020
Not a comprehensive post! No background knowledge of the tribe you speak of. Their location. The communal breastfeeding you talk of, how is it done?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Tonymegabush1(m): 9:53pm On Nov 05, 2020
Do not try these in Nigeria
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by pozehnani(f): 10:14pm On Nov 05, 2020
This is how HIV spreads. Rubbish practice.
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by kufreabasi86191: 10:29pm On Nov 05, 2020
Not a comprehensive post! No background knowledge of the tribe you speak of. Their location. The communal breastfeeding you talk of, how is it done?

5 Likes

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 10:47pm On Nov 05, 2020
A community that is not bothered about flat breast....
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by kyuniii(m): 11:13pm On Nov 05, 2020
Plenty milk to go round.
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Dayoebe(m): 11:33pm On Nov 05, 2020
These fallen breast

Angel michael, come and blow this trumpet now. I've seen enough!

1 Like

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by TalkTalkTwins(m): 1:52am On Nov 06, 2020
Communal breastfeeding was common in Nigeria before the whites came
I'm grateful it was stopped though
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by WoeBetide666: 2:21am On Nov 06, 2020
TalkTalkTwins:
Communal breastfeeding was common in Nigeria before the whites came
I'm grateful it was stopped though

You need some Frantz Fanon literature
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Realtalk20: 4:41am On Nov 06, 2020
HIV pandemic loading
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Kingdemu: 7:05am On Nov 06, 2020
OP na those flat breasts you dey censor? Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Shortyy(f): 7:05am On Nov 06, 2020
Hmm. Interesting, but where in the world map i s the tribe located? Which country?
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by lkillbrokehoes: 7:09am On Nov 06, 2020
kufreabasi86191:
Don't mind him
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Ahumanbeing: 7:41am On Nov 06, 2020
Dirty
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by LadySarah: 7:54am On Nov 06, 2020
Just because they haven't accepted westernisation.

It's a norm in many tribes in Nigeria. Though in the event of death of the mother, inability to produce breastmilk or sickness.

The Egyptians used/use wet nurses.Eg.Infant Moses Nanny.

Nowadays, some hospitals use milkbanks where breastmilk of medically screened lactating mothers are stored for preterm babies and their likes.

Breastmilk remains the best for your infant!

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by rowland545(m): 8:04am On Nov 06, 2020
Yuk no body get better breast for that tribe?

Abi nah this slippers this yeye op get to show us sad
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by kambili999(f): 8:24am On Nov 06, 2020
Thanks op for this piece. At least now I know of the korowai tribe. Will look up more info about them
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by KingMack(m): 8:46am On Nov 06, 2020
This baby looks says it all...he be like which kind wahalla be dis Na Why Dem born me come this place wey be say any breast I suck e jus dey flatsad Dem for Kuku born me for Nigeriagrin

2 Likes

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by Uyi168: 9:20am On Nov 06, 2020
Very watery thread
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by KanielOutis92: 10:12am On Nov 06, 2020
Uhmm i read about this tribe on here a while back, didnt i? Or perhaps i was dreaming
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by aristocratic5(m): 11:53am On Nov 06, 2020
Korowai ok oooooo
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by SpicyMimi(f): 12:05pm On Nov 06, 2020
I don’t know what to believe again Abeg

Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by lascos912(m): 12:50pm On Nov 06, 2020
don't ever show us this again in your life
Re: Meet The Korowai Tribe Where Any Woman In The Community Can Breastfeed A Newborn by HomerTimpson: 3:37pm On Nov 06, 2020
pozehnani:
This is how HIV spreads. Rubbish practice.
KALM DOWN FESS,men are not complaining nau

(1) (2) (Reply)

2014 PTDF Overseas Masters Scholarship Result is out / Quiz For The Brain Geniuses: Solve These Mathematics Equations. / Drone Pictures: Do Not Believe The Hype

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.