Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,166 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China (4990 Views)

Derayobinna.....Giant Strides To Stardom / Interesting!! How Olamide Achieved Stardom Within Four Short Years / OLAMIDE: From Bariga To Stardom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by aloyemeka1: 2:31am On Mar 16, 2011
[size=14pt]Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom in Beijing[/size]
By JIMMY WANG
Published: March 15, 2011

BEIJING — The silver scales of Hao Ge’s glam shirt glitter against his dark violet designer suit as a spotlight focuses on him. Female dancers in jumpsuits orbit him as he slowly begins to sing a sugary pop ballad and clenches his fist as if to invoke the gods of love.

The Nigerian Emmanuel Uwechue has become a pop star in China under the stage name Hao Ge.

Jimmy Wang for The New York Times

Emmanuel Uwechue, a k a Hao Ge, plays keyboards with his new band at a studio in Beijing.

Hao Ge was performing on “New Sights and Sounds,” a show on state-run television that showcases entertainers for hundreds of millions of Chinese viewers.

Hao Ge (pronounced How Guh) is perhaps China’s most unlikely pop star: he is Nigerian, and he sings in Mandarin.

His real name is Emmanuel Uwechue, though he is better known by his stage name, which sounds like the words for “good song” in Chinese. Mr. Uwechue, 33, has developed quite a fan base, particularly among the children and middle-aged women who watch “Xin Guang Da Dao,” the “American Idol” knockoff show, where he first gained notice a few years after his arrival here almost a decade ago. He has performed alongside a host of Chinese superstars — including Sun Nan, Na Ying and Han Hong — and has been enthusiastically embraced by the Chinese media.

“The African Who Searches for His Dream in China,” read the headline atop a 2006 article about Mr. Uwechue on QQ.com, a popular social networking site here. Articles by the state-run Xinhua news agency and in the Web-based magazine Sina Entertainment, as well as a television documentary, have similarly chronicled his unusual story. Mr. Uwechue even appears on bus ads: “Good Song Comes From Good Wine,” reads an advertisement for the Guan Gong Fang company, which signed him to represent its brand of wine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/arts/music/hao-ge-a-nigerian-becomes-a-pop-star-in-china.html?_r=1&sq=Nigerian%20unlikely%20music%20star%20in%20China&st=cse&adxnnl=1&scp=2&adxnnlx=1300237214-coNpUFHvSEEW/AMAsfLtcQ
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by aloyemeka1: 2:42am On Mar 16, 2011
Mr. Uwechue is not the first foreigner to have made a name for himself in China, but he is the first African to have reached widespread success here. Some music industry experts in China credit part of his fame to the close economic and cultural ties — including friendship and exchange programs and other joint ventures — that have long existed between China and some African countries

That's why it is important to learn the language of your hosts. You never know where it will take you. Congrats hommie.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Nobody: 3:19am On Mar 16, 2011
congrats to him but what happened to lou jing?
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Nobody: 4:46am On Mar 16, 2011
This guy is a British born Liberian?Any explanation that he can be a Nigerian
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by ekubear1: 6:08am On Mar 16, 2011
Really cool story!

When Mr. Uwechue took his first album to his friends and family in Nigeria, they were, he said, “a little bit surprised, yet proud” to learn that he had become a pop star in China. He recalled his mother’s response: “‘China? Wow! I never could have imagined.’ ”
Lol grin
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by basher(m): 12:16pm On Mar 16, 2011
Hehehe! I wan die  cheesy

Scenario 1: Hao Ge is a Liberian who "adopted" the passport of a Nigerian - Uwechue Emmanuel, to gain entry into China.

Scenario 2: Hao Ge is a Nigerian who creatively aquired a Liberian passport with his original name - Uwechue Emmanuel, to gain entry into China (probably with refugee status)

Scenario 3: Born of Nigerian parents in Liberia or settled in Liberia at a young age.

Scenario 4: A Liberian with name or surname Emmanuel,  who decided to adopt or was given the name Uwechue.

Scenario 5: who cares anyway?!!!
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by enomakos(m): 12:30pm On Mar 16, 2011
that is good news
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by johnjoel(m): 1:31pm On Mar 16, 2011
silly question by mumemtym
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by aloyemeka1: 1:49pm On Mar 16, 2011
mohumyta:

Who told you Hao Ge is Liberian?. Will you claim him if he was caught doing 419?.  
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 16, 2011
mohumyta:

he resembles liberian?

Who told you Hao Ge is Liberian?.

i wonder.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by aloyemeka1: 2:40pm On Mar 16, 2011
Mr. Uwechue got his start singing in the choir at House on the Rock Pentecostal church in Lagos, Nigeria. After receiving a degree in engineering, he decided to pursue music against the wishes of his father, who “disowned me for a while,” Mr. Uwechue said, adding, “He thought I was throwing my life away.”

A Chinese friend, Li Yayu, who was working in Lagos at the time, was aware of Mr. Uwechue’s interest in singing. When Mr. Li moved back to Henan Province in 2001 to open a hotel, he called Mr. Uwechue and asked him if he wanted to visit.

Mr. Uwechue accepted in 2002, and eventually started performing in bars and hotels in Henan and Hebei Provinces. He got his big break when Liu Huan — a top producer in the music industry here who helped pioneer pop music in China by performing and composing for television — discovered him singing one night at the Big Easy, a bar in Beijing that has since closed. With Mr. Liu’s backing, Mr. Uwechue became a devoted student of Mandarin and eventually gained a following. It was his performance in 2007 at the wildly popular Lunar New Year Gala, seen by hundreds of millions of people on television, that made him a star. It’s the Chinese equivalent of the Super Bowl and China’s highest-rated broadcast event of the year.

There is nothing Liberian about him. Where he found the Liberian connection beats me.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by ekubear1: 2:44pm On Mar 16, 2011
I'm surprised no links to his songs, aloy/emeka undecided
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by aloyemeka1: 3:08pm On Mar 16, 2011
eku_bear:

I'm surprised no links to his songs, aloy/emeka  undecided

Click on the NY times link and you will see some of his videos posted there including his interview by NY times.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Amhatu(m): 3:24pm On Mar 16, 2011
@ aloy/emeka, very good read and forum post.

Glad our Chinese brothers & Sisters gave him a chance.  Many Africans should take note that the Chinese have helped in partnership, develop and build all over Africa more than any other country or people.

Up China Up Naija!  cool
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 16, 2011
basher:

Hehehe! I wan die cheesy

Scenario 1: Hao Ge is a Liberian who "adopted" the passport of a Nigerian - Uwechue Emmanuel, to gain entry into China.

Scenario 2: Hao Ge is a Nigerian who creatively aquired a Liberian passport with his original name - Uwechue Emmanuel, to gain entry into China (probably with refugee status)

Scenario 3: Born of Nigerian parents in Liberia or settled in Liberia at a young age.

Scenario 4: A Liberian with name or surname Emmanuel, who decided to adopt or was given the name Uwechue.

Scenario 5: who cares anyway?!!!

Scenario 6: Ur head no dey house lol
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Abuna: 4:03pm On Mar 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnXIBLs7aH8
You can watch his song on youtube. Hao Ge: an old and beautiful chinese song
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by jpworld(m): 4:46pm On Mar 16, 2011
The guy is from Ibusa Delta states. He only uses Liberian passport. He has never been to Liberia, or even have any Liberian connection.

Most of the naija guys that come to Beijing early 2000 uses Liberian passport. Cause if u use Nigerian passport very hard to get a resident permit.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by helpdoer: 7:27pm On Mar 16, 2011
He's a real inspiration - this guy! And a testament to the fact that NOTHING is impossible. We're proud of you brother.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by mamagee3(f): 7:48pm On Mar 16, 2011
mohumyta:

Google is your friend!!! grin grin
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by alphabet43(m): 8:19pm On Mar 16, 2011
That man is a bonafide Igbo man. Didn't you hear him speak? He sounds 'NOTHING' Liberian. You'll have to be stuck on redundancy to think he's Liberian.

He's also a testament that everyone should be allowed to follow their dreams. Naija parents, !!!NOT EVERYONE IS MEANT TO BE A DOCTOR, LAWYER OR POLITICIAN!!!
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by slap1(m): 11:56pm On Mar 16, 2011
The guy is from Rwanda, he uses an Iraqi passport.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by samsilo(m): 12:15am On Mar 17, 2011
I am surprised to read this and no one seems to know that Tinie Tempah, the biggest new musician in the UK and winner of Two Brit awards(UK Grammys) is of Nigerian parentage. His Real name is Patrick Chuckwuemeka Okogwu

Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Vallo57(m): 12:27am On Mar 17, 2011
I don't give a rat ass where the guy is from, his good.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Ruq: 7:22am On Mar 17, 2011
samsilo:

I am surprised to read this and no one seems to know that Tinie Tempah, the biggest new musician in the UK and winner of Two Brit awards(UK Grammys) is of Nigerian parentage. His Real name is Patrick Chuckwuemeka Okogwu

stale news nigga known since last year.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Emmz(f): 9:44am On Mar 17, 2011
samsilo:

I am surprised to read this and no one seems to know that Tinie Tempah, the biggest new musician in the UK and winner of Two Brit awards(UK Grammys) is  of Nigerian parentage. His Real name is Patrick Chuckwuemeka Okogwu

Your are so stale so is Taio Cruz. He is yoruba. His name is Tayo. Get it (Taio)
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Mobinga: 11:47am On Mar 17, 2011
How is this your business? Why is this on the front page?
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Ibomade1: 8:33pm On Mar 17, 2011
Congratulations to him.
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by mamagee3(f): 9:17pm On Mar 17, 2011
slap1:

The guy is from Rwanda, he uses an Iraqi passport.
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Finds Pop Stardom In China by Nobody: 10:20pm On Mar 17, 2011
samsilo:

does the guy in your photo not look nigerian?

besides, i think he's often mentioned on nl.

i didnt know he's in britain however.

(1) (Reply)

Leak Music: Flavour – Oyi (remix) Ft Tiwa Savage / Kizz Daniel "Shuperu" Mp3 Download - New Song / MP3 DOWNLOAD: Yemi Alade - Charliee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.