Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,237 members, 7,860,526 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:06 PM

If God Really Exist Let Him Infest My Grave With Snakes"-chester Bedell - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Really Exist Let Him Infest My Grave With Snakes"-chester Bedell (968 Views)

Does God Really Exist? / Do Mermaids Really Exist??? / Abortion: Don't Turn Murderer For A Man, Hand Over The Baby To Him Let Him Do It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If God Really Exist Let Him Infest My Grave With Snakes"-chester Bedell by themainman600(m): 1:29pm On Nov 11, 2020
An atheist whose name was Mr. Chester Bedell, a wealthy farmer from the tiny village of North Benton, who died in 1908 at the age of 82. Is said to have been a very serious and bold atheist, and was outspoken in opposition to God and the Bible. He strongly denied the existence of God and did all he could to make sure his influence is spread all over the world.

He was a very mean man that neighbors and others were afraid of him to the extent that if they crossed him, they might wake up the next morning to find their barns burned down or other things damaged. It is explained that he left one dollar each to his two Christian daughters and his 2,500 acres of land for his atheist sons. He was involved in many lawsuits during his lifetime. It is also said that he sometimes attended the Presbyterian Church in the town of North Benton, and that his presence always threw such coldness over the service.

He wrote a book that is in great contradiction to the concept of the Bible. entitled, "Universal Mental Liberty". It was his most famous book that he aimed to use it against the Holy Bible.

The content of the book was meant to free people from the bibilical mindset which to him was kind of hindering people from thinking. He intended to free people from that kind of mindset and bring liberty to them through his book.

Chester Bedell was an openly atheist who scoffed at religion and delighted in debating his position. He could quote Scripture better than most preachers and, in spite of his beliefs, ministers from all over Deerfield Township would visit Bedell and discuss theology. Bedell, who was the wealthiest man in North Benton, usually got the better of visiting preachers. While few ministers could win him in theological debate, all seemed to have a certain kind of respect for old Chester.

He died at the age of 82 in 1908 from a massive stroke. But before he passed, he made a bold statement to God.

The statement he threw at the God Almighty was this: "If there is a God or any truth in the Bible, let Him infest my grave with snakes."

Whether this was an unconscious statement or a daring challenge to God, but as it turned out things soon began to happen. It is reported that when he died and was about to be buried, at the foot of the monument of himself which he had sometime erected in the cemetery before his death( it is made of bronze and placed upon a large pedestal. In his uplifted hand is a book with the inscription, "Universal Mental Liberty." Under his foot is a scroll representing the Bible, with the word "Superstition" in large letters), two snakes was already in the freshly-dug grave, the sexton killed the two snakes and when the casket was brought near the grave another large snake had to be removed before it could be lowered. Since that time the family lot in the cemetery has been full of snake holes. However, people who visit the place from different places report the presence of snakes.

Under the monument and around the grave is a bunch of snakes and an equally notable fact is that this burial lot is the only lot in the cemetery where snakes are ever found. The Sexton reported to have seen as many as twenty in a day around that grave and frequently kills them.

His grave as a matter of fact became one of the most known tourist attractions because of the diverse number of snakes found there.

Visitors who go there to examine the grave often kill some snakes. It is said that an attempt was once made to clear the reptiles out, but they came back more numerous than before.

The snakes can be seen any day you visit the cemetery, except, maybe the day after a rain.

The North Benton cemetery has a regularly employed sexton who takes excellent care of the grounds. The sexton said sometimes a group of boys would come and kill the snakes and throw them up around the neck of Mr. Bedell's statue, then he would have the task of taking them down.

That is almost enough to make the old atheist turn over in the grave.

About twenty snakes are killed in a day, and the sexton says that the more you kill the more they seem to be. One expression heard in and around North Benton is, "Well, if Bedell did ask for snakes he sure got 'em!" He also said that people come from all over the World to see the statue and the grave.

That was a Divine intervention. You can't challenge God and think He won't take up your challenge. No matter any circumstance, you should always be careful with your words and what you think in your mind. No one has the right to dare God.

I hope Nairaland atheist have learnt a lesson or two..grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Asiyat Oyedepo Was Denied Good Care Till Her Death Just As Bishop Threatened / You Offended Me Greatly, So Take My Son And Kill Him, And I'll Forgive You / Download All Audio Sermons Of Apostle Johnson Suleman Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.