Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,254 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:47 AM

Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix (2032 Views)

Wordpress Or Build From Scratch, Which Is It To Be? / Should I Create A Website In Wordpress Or Html, Css & Js? / After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Chingle6(m): 11:23pm On Nov 14, 2020
Please guys I really need insight on this topic... Why will I want to go through the stress of HTML CSS JavaScript php and some other language instead of using word press or wix cry
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by talk2hb1(m): 5:59am On Nov 15, 2020
Chingle6:
Please guys I really need insight on this topic... Why will I want to go through the stress of HTML CSS JavaScript php and some other language instead of using word press or wix cry
Basically Requirements, you don't want to build a school management system with WordPress nor a banking system (Although you can build it with it) but considering securities, maintenance, scalabilities, etc. You are better off building your own bespoke CMS than using the like of WordPress and its cohort

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 15, 2020
talk2hb1:

Basically Requirements, you don't want to build a school management system with WordPress nor a banking system (Although you can build it with it) but considering securities, maintenance, scalabilities, etc. You are better off building your own bespoke CMS than using the like of WordPress and its cohort

I know people who can build anything with WordPress. It all depends on your programming skills.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:24pm On Nov 15, 2020
You can use WordPress to build large scale applications. Check out frontity. A react WordPress framework that enables you to build WordPress frontend with React. React is horrible for SEO Sha so you can build out WordPress and react frontends using react frameworks like Gatsby and Nextjs which are very SEO friendly. The advantage of custom CMS like WordPress is they enable the client to do much on their own without a need for a developer and then there is an abundance of custom plugins available. You can also look at other CMS like strapi and prismic which are built off Nodejs.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by talk2hb1(m): 3:09pm On Nov 15, 2020
Reinaldo:

I know people who can build anything with WordPress. It all depends on your programming skills.
Not that you can't build anything with WordPress, but should you?
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Karleb(m): 3:11pm On Nov 15, 2020
I've played around a bit with WordPress (I don't know much about wix) but I can tell you categorically from a developer point of view that WordPress is horrible! gringrin

WordPress actually does what it does best. It's easy to use and install and all that but if you've ever worked with Laravel, Django or Rails you'd know WordPress is shiit!

Sidenote: I am currently learning WordPress theme and plugin development grin

3 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by etoluw: 6:23pm On Nov 15, 2020
Karleb:
I've played around a bit with WordPress (I don't know much about wix) but I can tell you categorically from a developer point of view that WordPress is horrible! gringrin

WordPress actually does what it does best. It's easy to use and install and all that but if you've ever worked with Laravel, Django or Rails you'd know WordPress is shiit!

Sidenote: I am currently learning WordPress theme and plugin development grin

i am quite sure that when you've finished learning how to build themes and plugins you'll come back to edit your comment
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Karleb(m): 6:35pm On Nov 15, 2020
etoluw:

i am quite sure that when you've finished learning how to build themes and plugins you'll come back to edit your comment

I won't. My primary language is PHP and I will say it again, WordPress is horrible.

Everyone has moved on to OOP, MVC, Design Patterns but WordPress is still jampacking model, controller and view together. Just take a look at wp-login.php or wp-register.php and you will develop instant headache.

Imagine declaring global variables in 2020? What happened to putting those in a config or environment file?
Why use function_exists and class_exists to avoid class and method collision when you can use namespace?

...is it the spaghetti code I want to talk about?

PS: All these are from a developer's point of view.

5 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Chingle6(m): 9:54pm On Nov 15, 2020
talk2hb1:

Hmmmm good it all boils down to usage sad nice
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by etoluw: 11:33pm On Nov 15, 2020
Karleb:

I won't. My primary language is PHP and I will say it again, WordPress is horrible.

Everyone has moved on to OOP, MVC, Design Patterns but WordPress is still jampacking model, controller and view together. Just take a look at wp-login.php or wp-register.php and you will develop instant headache.

Imagine declaring global variables in 2020? What happened to putting those in a config or environment file?
Why use function_exists and class_exists to avoid class and method collision when you can use namespace?

...is it the spaghetti code I want to talk about?

PS: All these are from a developer's point of view.

i totally agree with every single issue you raised but WordPress is slowly catching up.

it has to be gradual because backward compatibility.

You should not say "WordPress is horrible", it has a few flaws just like any other framework.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by talk2hb1(m): 8:16am On Nov 16, 2020
etoluw:

i totally agree with every single issue you raised but WordPress is slowly catching up.

it has to be gradual because backward compatibility.

You should not say "WordPress is horrible", it has a few flaws just like any other framework.
Not catching up at all, Drupal wey no get user reach am has refactor their code from drupal8, it cost WordPress nothing to build from scratch and still maintain their name. WordPress spaghetti code is a piss off, I stop doing WordPress 3years ago wahala too much lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Karleb(m): 9:02am On Nov 16, 2020
talk2hb1:

Not catching up at all, Drupal wey no get user reach am has refactor their code from drupal8, it cost WordPress nothing to build from scratch and still maintain their name. WordPress spaghetti code is a piss off, I stop doing WordPress 3years ago wahala too much lipsrsealed

No mind am. WordPress is catching up with what exactly? Which few flaws?

Imagine WordPress still doing "array()" in 2020?

They still use underscore to separate method, variable and class name? Our people get carried away because it has a nice admin panel.

WordPress will make fast money but it won't keep anyone in the game for long.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by fnep2smooth(m): 10:47am On Nov 16, 2020
Hahahaha Naija developers no go kill me. People are making billions of dollars on WordPress (Themes, plugins) with millions of users daily, you guys are arguing what is not.

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by talk2hb1(m): 11:32am On Nov 16, 2020
fnep2smooth:
Hahahaha Naija developers no go kill me. People are making billions of dollars on WordPress (Themes, plugins) with millions of users daily, you guys are arguing what is not.
We are not talking business of WordPress here, we are talking of the technology. If the technology is too complicated, developers will drop it like bad habit which invariably will have affect the economic of it ( Scarcity, demand, supply, cost) ask drupal, and joomla They both have crazy clean code but their market share is low. Drupal is too complex for average users it can do anything in fact I am always contemplating between drupal and using normal framework for my personal projects, Joomlah I don't like it from day one.

My point is Making billions of dollars is not the point, its how long the party is going to last and survival of the developers skills in the long run, Visual Basic was a billion dollars industry in its Glory days, but where are VB developers today ( don't get me wrong they are still making their money, but unlike its glorious days). Market share of VB.net developers is highly negligible compare to other framework and languages, so while we focus on the market of today we shouldn't forget our share of tomorrow.

I guess we ain't looking at the picture of what's happening in the technology industry, we are only consuming technology being handover to us by the developed environment, and we are getting comfortable with it because we are making millions in the market whereas the owner of the technology are making more from it (which is not bad after all) but we are on the loosing end at the end of the day, because we are making money on archaic technology.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by fnep2smooth(m): 5:28pm On Nov 16, 2020
talk2hb1:

We are not talking business of WordPress here, we are talking of the technology. If the technology is too complicated, developers will drop it like bad habit which invariably will have affect the economic of it ( Scarcity, demand, supply, cost) ask drupal, and joomla They both have crazy clean code but their market share is low. Drupal is too complex for average users it can do anything in fact I am always contemplating between drupal and using normal framework for my personal projects, Joomlah I don't like it from day one.

My point is Making billions of dollars is not the point, its how long the party is going to last and survival of the developers skills in the long run, Visual Basic was a billion dollars industry in its Glory days, but where are VB developers today ( don't get me wrong they are still making their money, but unlike its glorious days). Market share of VB.net developers is highly negligible compare to other framework and languages, so while we focus on the market of today we shouldn't forget our share of tomorrow.

I guess we ain't looking at the picture of what's happening in the technology industry, we are only consuming technology being handover to us by the developed environment, and we are getting comfortable with it because we are making millions in the market whereas the owner of the technology are making more from it (which is not bad after all) but we are on the loosing end at the end of the day, because we are making money on archaic technology.
Tell that to the indians who are breaking boundaries in WordPress, Laravel and any PHP Framework, Africa love to bad mouth something but can't build or invent anything. What is the need of creating something when you are not making money from it.
WordPress keep upgrading everyday, Big tech company are recruiting PHP developer everyday, go to Stackoverflow job section and see countries like Japan, Germany etc looking for WordPress theme/ plugin developer. Are you more wiser than them, do you analysis future than them. How can a language that have the biggest community die like that, now you can use reactjs with WordPress.

Before I go you said it's not about the money, lol.... So as you de so if you invent something and it fetches you 1billion dollars and it stop or shut down. Will you ever go poor in your life again. Bro it's all about the money if you like free job. Good work with some open source projects

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Karleb(m): 8:12pm On Nov 16, 2020
fnep2smooth:

Tell that to the indians who are breaking boundaries in WordPress, Laravel and any PHP Framework, Africa love to bad mouth something but can't build or invent anything. What is the need of creating something when you are not making money from it.
WordPress keep upgrading everyday, Big tech company are recruiting PHP developer everyday, go to Stackoverflow job section and see countries like Japan, Germany etc looking for WordPress theme/ plugin developer. Are you more wiser than them, do you analysis future than them. How can a language that have the biggest community die like that, now you can use reactjs with WordPress.

Before I go you said it's not about the money, lol.... So as you de so if you invent something and it fetches you 1billion dollars and it stop or shut down. Will you ever go poor in your life again. Bro it's all about the money if you like free job. Good work with some open source projects

Where did that user bad mouthed PHP?

Indians are not breaking boundaries with WordPress, they are the ones building WordPress sites for $5. You call that boundary breaking?

The discussion is about WordPress. WordPress works but it's badly written. That's a fact, quit being emotional about it.

I personally wants WordPress to be written properly but it seems WordPress maintainers don't care about it.

If care is not taken, WordPress might eventually go the way of Jquery.

Lastly, leave Africans out of your comments. The creator of PHP once said "All php frameworks suck" .

6 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by fnep2smooth(m): 8:32pm On Nov 16, 2020
Karleb:

Where did that user bad mouthed PHP?

Indians are not breaking boundaries with WordPress, they are the ones building WordPress sites for $5. You call that boundary breaking?

The discussion is about WordPress. WordPress works but it's badly written. That's a fact, quit being emotional about it.

I personally wants WordPress to be written properly but it seems WordPress maintainers don't care about it.

If care is not taken, WordPress might eventually go the way of Jquery.

Lastly, leave Africans out of your comments. The creator of PHP once said "All php frameworks suck" .
Funny enough the latest WordPress is using the latest jQuery. Don't under rate WordPress. New update keeps coming everyday couple with the latest PHP 7. Many things has being added.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by talk2hb1(m): 8:32pm On Nov 16, 2020
fnep2smooth:

Can you compare Nigeria Developers with India Developer, can you point out at list 5 Nigeria developers who are frontiers in the techno space and I will 500Indians who does it too and who resides in India. List 5Nigeria software solving problems at global level and I will show you 50 India software that has foreign presence.

Continue your follow follow mentality, till you can't compete at global market.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by fnep2smooth(m): 8:41pm On Nov 16, 2020
talk2hb1:

Can you compare Nigeria Developers with India Developer, can you point out at list 5 Nigeria developers who are frontiers in the techno space and I will 500Indians who does it too and who resides in India. List 5Nigeria software solving problems at global level and I will show you 50 India software that has foreign presence.

Continue your follow follow mentality, till you can't compete at global market.
These days no man is an island, before you can be great you need to learn, follow and watch.
Nigeria need to learn from the indians , how they use there population to improve there ict sector.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Karleb(m): 9:12pm On Nov 16, 2020
fnep2smooth:

Funny enough the latest WordPress is using the latest jQuery. Don't under rate WordPress. New update keeps coming everyday couple with the latest PHP 7. Many things has being added.

For arguments sake, can you mention one thing in php 7 that was implemented in WordPress?

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by fnep2smooth(m): 9:51pm On Nov 16, 2020
Karleb:

For arguments sake, can you mention one thing in php 7 that was implemented in WordPress?
When last do you use WordPress? Then I will tell you.

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by talk2hb1(m): 9:59pm On Nov 16, 2020
fnep2smooth:

These days no man is an island, before you can be great you need to learn, follow and watch.
Nigeria need to learn from the indians , how they use there population to improve there ict sector.
Yeah, we are moving gradually grin
The market is getting better day by day.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Karleb(m): 10:05pm On Nov 16, 2020
fnep2smooth:
When last do you use WordPress? Then I will tell you.
3 days ago.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by etoluw: 10:42am On Nov 17, 2020
Chingle6:

Unfortunately for you to be able to use WordPress, you need to learn all of the above

unless you only intend to download and install themes/plugins.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by etoluw: 10:56am On Nov 17, 2020
Karleb:

No mind am. WordPress is catching up with what exactly? Which few flaws?

Imagine WordPress still doing "array()" in 2020?

They still use underscore to separate method, variable and class name? Our people get carried away because it has a nice admin panel.

WordPress will make fast money but it won't keep anyone in the game for long.

i don't see anything wrong with using underscore to separate names. (i agree using namespace is easier or using classes)

as for the array() issue pls educate me what should we use instead.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by Karleb(m): 11:48am On Nov 17, 2020
etoluw:

i don't see anything wrong with using underscore to separate names. (i agree using namespace is easier or using classes)

as for the array() issue pls educate me what should we use instead.

When you have a long name, it's becomes annoying to read. Besides, the standard now is "PascalCase" for class, interface, traits name and "camelCase" for variables and method name.
Constants are to be capitalized.

aVeryLongVariable is easier to type and read than a_very_long_variable.

WordPressQuery is easier to read, type and understand than either WPQuery or WP_Query.

Checkout www.php-fig.org for more on PHP coding standards.

As for arrays, square bracket "[]" is the new standard. One of it's advantages is that it's becomes easier to read when you are dealing with multi-dimensional arrays. Just try multi-dimensional array with "array()" and "[]" and see the difference.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by etoluw: 12:29pm On Nov 17, 2020
@karleb Thanks for the info
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by naijasensei: 12:50pm On Nov 17, 2020
Chingle6:

@Karleb and @tak2hb1 have said my mind, however let me add the following:

When you start viewing every problem as a nail, then you will have to solve every problem with a hammer. WordPress lulls developers into a false sense of progress. WordPress is littered with spaghetti code which is horrible to maintain and test. You are forced to solve all your problems from a WordPress viewpoint.

You are held back from using new, recommended coding standards, and new PHP features because WordPress doesn't readily support such features. Talk about living in the past. Also the reason I stopped using the Codeigniter framework (versions 2 and 3), it never pushed you to use useful things like namespaces and composer.

Learning the basic building blocks (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP) will enable you to understand how those technologies work, and how to optimise them. This knowledge will also let you know when to use a particular tech stack to implement a solution; when to use a framework, and when not to use a framework. There is no one size fits all solution.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by crackajackIOS(m): 1:03pm On Nov 17, 2020
I think a marketer will build a site with Wordpress, and a developer will see Wordpress as trash. It's just like canvas and photoshop, the same sentiment applies.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by etoluw: 1:36pm On Nov 17, 2020
talk2hb1:

They are trying their best if they make drastic changes a lot of themes and plugins might break:

I also think you should reconsider your decision to stop doing wordpress .

according to statistics, WordPress usage is more that 38% of all websites and it is people like you with vast php experience that will benefit most by using it
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by talk2hb1(m): 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2020
etoluw:

They are trying their best if they make drastic changes a lot of themes and plugins might break:

I also think you should reconsider your decision to stop doing wordpress .

according to statistics, WordPress usage is more that 38% of all websites and it is people like you with vast php experience that will benefit most by using it
Its as easy building it in parallel, with time old users will migrate to the new one. I guess they are looking at cost.
Re: Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix by buchivik(m): 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2020
I need a web design job asap, pm me or hit me up on whatsa +0ne 41 3 20 6. nine 4 61

(1) (2) (Reply)

Software Development On Java / Help Your Girl O Programmers In The House! / A Quick Alternative To Mysql Fulltext Search

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.