Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,889 members, 7,838,186 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles (20596 Views)

Import Duty/clearance / PAN Nigeria Limited Begins The Production Of Higer Bus / Customs Import Duty Has Been Increased (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by 2cribz: 8:52am On Nov 20, 2020
Abeg make him do am fast. They should drop by 50%

1 Like

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by MickeyRich7(m): 8:54am On Nov 20, 2020
woo back real niggas
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by johhbekeboh09: 8:54am On Nov 20, 2020
dalass:
cheesy

Hope that decision won't kill the remaining Automakers still struggling simply because our politicians have insatiable tastes for foreign/ imported cars cool

I see your point ooo @dalass...i was initially curious imagining this wicked government is now sober...but from your perspective tis obvious their decision is driven by greed and selfishness
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by oluade11: 8:56am On Nov 20, 2020
Very wrong.
The local automobile industry too short up their game and make their products to be globally competitive.
They should not wait for the government to compel and gag Nigerians buy their products even if substandard.
Enough of all the pampering.
If the product is okay, they have the whole world as their prospective market.

2 Likes

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by Grupo(m): 8:56am On Nov 20, 2020
IBBG:
exactly. An average Innoson car cost around 5 million naira

Don't mind that guy.

He thinks we don't want to drive brand new cars.
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by Mayeldah(m): 8:56am On Nov 20, 2020
How may persons drive peugeot vehicles in Nigeria?

Abegi, these boarder closures and import duty increases is not working, instead of the local producers to increase production for prices to drop, they form local cartel to rip off the citizens. How much is local rice now, its going up to N26,000, so what's the point?

2 Likes

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by Xisnin(m): 8:59am On Nov 20, 2020
olaniyilukman:
Remember same applied to basic amenities like food we consumed, when the border is wide open and government allow to people to import food and beverages, prices of these commodities were reasonable but when they shut the border inroder to promote our own agricultural activities, Nigerians have abused the policy by deliberately increase the prices of all these commodities just for thier selfish gain
No. Import duties are different based on the type of goods involved. This thread is about vehicle import and not food. Those who bring vehicles through land borders are trying to avoid all duties. You will sometimes see them dump vehicles in the bush and run away. when you go through the proper channel, you won't care about border closure.
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by TroubleMaker47(m): 9:01am On Nov 20, 2020
dalass:
cheesy

Hope that decision won't kill the remaining Automakers still struggling simply because our politicians have insatiable tastes for foreign/ imported cars cool
How many automakers manufacture tractors and buses?
PAN is just being a witch!!!
Afterall since the increment in import duties, has the prices of locally made cars dropped?
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by kingreign(m): 9:09am On Nov 20, 2020
Seniorwriter:

Go and read what you posted that made me quote you.....others on the thread also correctly corrected your nonsense post

PROACTIVITY Leads To PRODUCTIVITY!

© Seniorwriter

Have your government been proactive? No! Instead they just woke up one day and increased the import duties. Has this improved manufacturing and assemblies and driven down the prices of cars? NO!
Did they realize their follies? Hopefully Yes!
You're all about proactivity leads to productivity when the basis and foundation for manufacturing isn't laid in the nation. No stable power supply, very few skilled hands locally to drive home the local content delivery, unstable laws and acts of government, poor capital support from local financial institutions.

WHAT RUBBISH NONSENSE ARE YOU YAPPING ALL ABOUT?

1 Like

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by kingreign(m): 9:10am On Nov 20, 2020
TroubleMaker47:

How many automakers manufacture tractors and buses?
PAN is just being a witch!!!
Afterall since the increment in import duties, has the prices of locally made cars dropped?

Gbam! You get my point absolutely.
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by Josywhyte: 9:21am On Nov 20, 2020
kingreign:
We know the FG increased the import duties to favour local manufacturers, assemblers etc, while deriving more income for itself, but PAN is faulting it for their selfish aims.

FOOTNOTE : Folks should learn to understand before hurriedly commenting. The FG sometimes ago increased the import duty to favour local manufacturers and drive home more revenue. Now, the FG wants to reduce it, PAN is complaining cos of their selfish gains.

I agree with u to an extent. But,apart from Innoson vehicles,that assembles cars in Nigeria,which other automobile manufacturers or assembly plant do we have in this country?
If we could get up to say 6 assembly plants in Nigeria then the FG can increase the import duties the way it wants. Get my point now?
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by mayo47(m): 9:21am On Nov 20, 2020
kingreign:
We know the FG increased the import duties to favour local manufacturers, assemblers etc, while deriving more income for itself, but PAN is faulting it for their selfish aims.

FOOTNOTE : Folks should learn to understand before hurriedly commenting. The FG sometimes ago increased the import duty to favour local manufacturers and drive home more revenue. Now, the FG wants to reduce it, PAN is complaining cos of their selfish gains.

I am sure you wouldn't have made this comment if you invested $150m
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by danietohbadt(m): 9:26am On Nov 20, 2020
kingreign:

The initial aim of the FG when it increased import tariffs to 50% was to encourage local manufacturing and assemblage. That was passed by Jonathan in 2014. That resulted to PAN coming to start assembly in Abuja. It equally served as an impetus to IVM that had little recognition then. Now, reversing that decision is a senseless one. Are we going to import cars forever? The effect it's going to have on local assembly plants will be disastrous and it will lead to massive job losses.
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by kingreign(m): 9:28am On Nov 20, 2020
mayo47:

I am sure you wouldn't have made this comment if you invested $150m
Bros, I'm so sure no one will be willing to invest $150m just anyhow in a society where security of investment, life and property is non existent. I am sure no one will gladly invest $150m in a country with unstable policies and non continuity of previous administrations advancement. I am sure no body will gladly invest $150m in a nation where there's almost no stimulant of industrial growth such as highly skilled workers in large nunbers, stable cheap power supply, closeness to raw materials and supplies of such for their manufacturing.

1 Like

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by kingreign(m): 9:29am On Nov 20, 2020
danietohbadt:

The initial aim of the FG when it increased import tariffs to 50% was to encourage local manufacturing and assemblage. That was passed by Jonathan in 2014. That resulted to PAN coming to start assembly in Abuja. It equally served as an impetus to IVM that had little recognition then. Now, reversing that decision is a senseless one. Are we going to import cars forever? The effect it's going to have on local assembly plants will be disastrous and it will lead to massive job losses.

As much as I would love to applaud the idea of local manufacturing, I would say the FG was/is putting the cart before the horse.
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by Nobody: 9:29am On Nov 20, 2020
Good news abeg. It's crazy how just clearing a vehicle is costlier than the vehicle itself. Crazy!
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by etrouble: 9:30am On Nov 20, 2020
Elsueno:
Sai Baba

U think the rich refusing to establish business in Nigeria don't have their reasons?

Government can just wake up and destroy ur investment easily

No, the major reason is that there are too many less intelligent youths like you who rush to comment without understanding the topic under discussion. Next time, when you don't know, shut the fucck up.
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by CSTRR: 9:37am On Nov 20, 2020
IBBG:
so our local manufacturers rather finish us off with exorbitant prices? Even in areas where production is relatively good, prices are still exorbitant, how does that help consumers?
Inflation is high, electricity is expensive.

Blame your govt.
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by emonis88: 9:37am On Nov 20, 2020
This is targeted at some people so as to cripple their business. But they still keep the boarders closed to aid some people n their businesses. Well I no wan use my whole mouth talk.

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by mayo47(m): 9:39am On Nov 20, 2020
kingreign:

Bros, I'm so sure no one will be willing to invest $150m just anyhow in a society where security of investment, life and property is non existent. I am sure no one will gladly invest $150m in a country with unstable policies and non continuity of previous administrations advancement. I am sure no body will gladly invest $150m in a nation where there's almost no stimulant of industrial growth such as highly skilled workers in large nunbers, stable cheap power supply, closeness to raw materials and supplies of such for their manufacturing.

You made valid points until you typed the word THRASH. If we go by this your narrative, then it means we shouldn't getting any foreign direct investment. If you must know Nigeria's is top Venture Capital destination in Africa.

I am sure they have done their investment appraisal/business case to arrive at that conclusion of investing. I know the policies in recent years has been stable and favored auto companies setting up plant.

LEARN TO MAKE A POINT WITHOUT BEING ABUSIVE
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by emonis88: 9:39am On Nov 20, 2020
IBBG:
so our local manufacturers rather finish us off with exorbitant prices? Even in areas where production is relatively good, prices are still exorbitant, how does that help consumers?
But the boarders r still closed and the importation of rice is still banned. So as rice cost is not killing Nigerians?
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by CSTRR: 9:41am On Nov 20, 2020
Josywhyte:

I agree with u to an extent. But,apart from Innoson vehicles,that assembles cars in Nigeria,which other automobile manufacturers or assembly plant do we have in this country?
If we could get up to say 6 assembly plants in Nigeria then the FG can increase the import duties the way it wants. Get my point now?
Why would Toyota or Hyundai set up in Nigeria when it is cheaper to just send from Japan and south Korea?

I hear Hyundai would soon be exporting to Nigeria FROM Ghana.

Bravo.

1 Like

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by Elsueno: 9:47am On Nov 20, 2020
etrouble:

No, the major reason is that there are too many less intelligent youths like you who rush to comment without understanding the topic under discussion. Next time, when you don't know, shut the fucck up.

Mr Buhari ass licker, never quote me again, I have never gotten in ur way when ur where licking ur masters ass. Better mind your business or I will make it my goal to personally find you and deal with you
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:53am On Nov 20, 2020
apart from the govt, who buys shitty Peugeot cars anyway?
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by sojfarm: 9:53am On Nov 20, 2020
Make your products competitive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigeria is a very big market.

1 Like

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by Elsueno: 9:56am On Nov 20, 2020
lagdmark:

So all the investments in Nigeria belong the poor, the rich ones invested Abroad.
why are some Asians and other foreigners still want to invest in Nigeria despite government policies.

Because they treat our people as slaves, pay peanuts monthly, fire them whenever they want & hire new employees. And those businesses are in collaboration with top government officials. Which you as an individual don't have access to.
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by ibnew: 9:57am On Nov 20, 2020
The idea of encourage local manufacturer I don't understand. Even in America, foreign manufactured cars like Toyota, Kia, BMW, and the rest are still being shipped to America. Or they have their plants in America. In my opinion, govt should give waivers to this growing manufacturer. Create enabling environment for them to strive and produce at competitive price. No body would want to waste money. People will buy at good price instead of import. But if this is not done and you try to frustrate import, you are encouraging smuggling, tariff manipulation and all sort of bypass to beat the system. Please do we know anywhere in the world where import duty is 70% abi how much is it now self. It's about 5 or 6% in Dubai. I think it 20% in Ghana. 40% in South Africa where there are assembly plants. Our policies are always way off from attending to the issue. We make governance look like rocket science. In a country this blessed with so much, governance shouldn't be some much of trial and error. Please somebody with more accurate info or knowledge is free to correct any of my wrong.

1 Like

Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by sojfarm: 9:58am On Nov 20, 2020
dalass:
cheesy

We have local content law passed by the same lawmakers.

It will not kill any Automakers. This policy should make look inward and aim to be competitive. Locally assemble vehicles should be more affordable, all things being equal (ceteris paribus).
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by streetsoldier1(m): 10:03am On Nov 20, 2020
inoki247:
You guys are mad how can I buy an underage Car for 500usd or 600usd and clear it for 400k..

You go dey shout buy local! buy local!! ones they take any decisions to mak local improve na so the price go start to dey sky rocket...

same thing happened to local rice. Now it's more expensive than abroad rice
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by yemre: 10:12am On Nov 20, 2020
One reason I still don't understand is that when import duties were increased to develop the local content in automobile industry, they were supposed to have taken advantage of that by producing quality cars at lower prices since there's no cost of shipping and clearing attached. Instead, the cost of locally made cars soared higher than those imported ones that had heavy import duties and shipping fees built in.

Smh
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by Mineisgrace(f): 10:13am On Nov 20, 2020
Reducing cost charges on importation should be a good thing
Re: PAN Faults FG's Plan To Reduce Import Duty On Vehicles by otokx(m): 10:19am On Nov 20, 2020
I am yet to see any body driving a brand new PAN in my area of Port Harcourt. Reduce your prices and allow installmental payments, also have an authorized service/sales center in at least 2 towns per state and see what will happen.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Coronavirus Lockdown: 5 Care Tips For Your Car / Honda Sound Sitter Calms Your Baby With Relaxing Engine Sound - Photos / Meet Jelani Aliyu, Nigerian Genius Who Designed Chevrolet Volt (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.