Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,197 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box (4697 Views)

Hey Friends, Have You Visited The Slave Port In Badagry? / UNIBEN Final Year Student, Freedom, Dies (Disturbing Photos)) / Limitations To Freedom Of Movement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Missyajoke(f): 3:24pm On Nov 24, 2020
Henry brown's wife was called nancy, she also worked in the plantations. They had three kids while they were still slaves under the partus sequitur ventrem principle. Brown was employed out by his master in Richmond, Virginia, and labored in a tobacco industrial plant. renting a house where he and his wife lived with their children. Brown had also been paying his wife's master not to sell his family, but the man betrayed Brown, selling pregnant Nancy and their three children to a different slave owner.

Source: http://phx.scooper.news/phx/article?docId=12378191

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Missyajoke(f): 3:27pm On Nov 24, 2020
With the help of James C. A. Smith, a free black man, and a compassionate white shoemaker named Samuel A. Smith, Brown devised a plan to have himself shipped in a box to a free state by the Adams Express Company, known for its secrecy and reliability. Brown paid US$86 (equivalent to $2,643 in 2019) (out of his savings of $166) to Samuel Smith. Smith went to Philadelphia to consult with members of the Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society on how to execute the escape, meeting with minister James Miller McKim, William Still, and Cyrus Burleigh. He collaborated with them to work out the plan after going back to Richmond. They advised him to mail the box to the office of Quaker merchant Passmore Williamson, who was in direct contact with the Vigilance Committee.

7 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Missyajoke(f): 3:29pm On Nov 24, 2020
With the help of James C. A. Smith, a free black man, and a compassionate white shoemaker named Samuel A. Smith, Brown devised a plan to have himself shipped in a box to a free state by the Adams Express Company, known for its secrecy and reliability. Brown paid US$86 (equivalent to $2,643 in 2019) (out of his savings of $166) to Samuel Smith. Smith went to Philadelphia to consult with members of the Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society on how to execute the escape, meeting with minister James Miller McKim, William Still, and Cyrus Burleigh. He collaborated with them to work out the plan after going back to Richmond. They advised him to mail the box to the office of Quaker merchant Passmore Williamson, who was in direct contact with the Vigilance Committee.

3 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Missyajoke(f): 3:30pm On Nov 24, 2020
During the trip, which began on March 29, 1849, Brown's box was transported by wagon, railroad, steamboat, wagon again, railroad, ferry, railroad, and finally delivery wagon, being completed in 27 hours. Despite the instructions on the box of "handle with care" and "this side up," several times carriers placed the box upside-down or handled it roughly. Brown remained still and avoided detection.

The box was received by Williamson, McKim, William Still, and other members of the Philadelphia Vigilance Committee on March 30, 1849.  When Brown was released, one of the men remembered his first words as "How do you do, gentlemen?" He sang a psalm from the Bible, which he had earlier chosen to celebrate his release into freedom.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Soarr(m): 3:41pm On Nov 24, 2020
The price for freedom is always steep..
Freedom from poverty, you have to work really hard..
Freedom from a damned country called Nigeria, get your passport, work hard and jappa..
It's not gonna be easy but it will be worth it

28 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 24, 2020
Such an idiot.
What if he had broken his neck?

3 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by 4words: 5:55pm On Nov 24, 2020
GayPontiff:
Such an idiot.

And bigger idiot you are to remain a slave than try to be free.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 24, 2020
4words:

Add bigger idiot you are to remain a slave than try to be free.

Your dwarf father remains the biggest idiot tho.
Man is till jumping from one whoooorehouse to the other.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by 4words: 6:29pm On Nov 24, 2020
GayPontiff:

Your dwarf father remains the biggest idiot tho.
Man is till jumping from one whoooorehouse to the other.

Never expected much from a gay ass* motherfucker* . 21st century slave, ass* Licker. .. your mother would have saved the world a looser with no future ambition by simply taking krest drink to terminate you ugly idiot.

29 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by hahn(m): 7:02pm On Nov 24, 2020
Gaypontiff 1 - 1 4words

4 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Lordswazz(m): 7:07pm On Nov 24, 2020
Nothing is too big a price to pay for one's freedom. He did what he had to do to live life like a decent human.

I pray the price the Nigerian masses would pay to break free from mediocre leadership and a chain of suppressive governments wouldn't be all our lives.

3 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by powerhouse3(m): 7:26pm On Nov 24, 2020
hahn:
Gaypontiff 1 - 1 4words
please change the score line,...

4words is now leading

17 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Tunde835(m): 7:29pm On Nov 24, 2020
Damn. Fucking white people. I dont think we could ever equal the evil and wickedness they hav committed even in a thousand years
Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 7:42pm On Nov 24, 2020
4words:

Never expected much from a gay ass* motherfucker* . 21st century slave, ass* Licker. .. your mother would have saved the world a looser with no future ambition by simply taking krest drink to terminate you ugly idiot.

When was the last time your pops touched ur dry old mother?
Since he started getting drilled he has had no use for the haaaag.
He still thinks u are an imbeciiiile btws. Come to think of it, where has krest ever aborted a foetus.
I'm sure u bathed with salt to curb ebola. Smelling feaces

1 Like

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 24, 2020
Missyajoke, So U Are Also An Historian. Wonderful!!!

3 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Malawian(m): 7:47pm On Nov 24, 2020
Na correct Igbo man be that. Argue with your slave master.

1 Like

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by 4words: 7:54pm On Nov 24, 2020
GayPontiff:

When was the last time your pops touched ur dry old mother?
Since he started getting drilled he has had no use for the haaaag.
He still thinks u are an imbeciiiile btws. Come to think of it, where has krest ever aborted a foetus.
I'm sure u bathed with salt to curb ebola. Smelling feaces

If you are smart, which I am 100% sure you are not, heck what am I saying, you still remain that idiot who would rather stay a slave than seek freedom... then you would know krest was a figure of speech dumb idiot.

Right now I am confused on who to blame for your stupidly, whether I should blame ASUU, the government or your peeps (God bless them, because I know they tried their best training you) however one thing is for sure, you have sworn to be eternally stupid and a ass* licking modafucka

26 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 24, 2020
4words:

If you are smart, which I am 100% sure you are not, heck what am I say, you still remain that idiot who would rather stay a slave than seek freedom... then you would know krest was a figure of speech dumb idiot.

Right now I am confused on who to blame for your stupidly, whether I should blame ASUU, the government or your peeps (God bless them, because I know they tried their best training you) however one thing is for sure, you have sworn to be eternally stupid and a ass* licking modafucka

Dear frustrated Challe,
Krest isn't a figure of speech mooooron
Krest isn't a figure of speech u ugly babboon
Krest isn't a figure of speech u impotent boy.
Krest doesn't abort foetus.

Again ask your dad why he hasn't touched your hag of a mom in years. Man sucks dicks. That's how he feeds u.

1 Like

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by 4words: 8:09pm On Nov 24, 2020
GayPontiff:

Dear frustrated Challe,
Krest isn't a figure of speech mooooron
Krest isn't a figure of speech u ugly babboon
Krest isn't a figure of speech u impotent boy.
Krest doesn't abort foetus.

Again ask your dad why he hasn't touched your hag of a mom in years. Man sucks dicks. That's how he feeds u.

Keep going about looking for potent boys, you idiotic fellow, one day you will be caught and hung by the balls.

What a wasted sperm*... To think millions of sperms* tried and this thing succeed, what a shame.

Below is the only reason I am engaging you nitwit,

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself. Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes. Like cutting off one's feet or drinking violence is the sending of a message by the hand of a fool."
› Bible Proverbs 26

But right now you want to drag me to your level of stupidity which I won't allow.

13 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 24, 2020
4words:

Keep going about looking for potent boys, you idiotic fellow, one day you will be caught and hung by the balls.

What a wasted sperm*... To think millions of sperms* tried and this thing succeed, what a shame.

Below is the only reason I am engaging you nitwit,

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself. Answer a fool according to his folly, or he will be wise in his own eyes. Like cutting off one's feet or drinking violence is the sending of a message by the hand of a fool."
› Bible Proverbs 26

But right now you want to drag me to your level of stupidity which I won't allow.

Quoting bible after dabbling into what wasn't your biz says much about the christianity u practise.

Lmaooooo.

Christians are the worst.
Swine!
You ain't just stupid, u earned a PhD degree in it u swine!

1 Like

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by 4words: 8:20pm On Nov 24, 2020
GayPontiff:

Quoting bible after dabbling into what wasn't your biz says much about the christianity u practise.

Lmaooooo.

Christians are the worst.
Swine!
You ain't just stupid, u earned a PhD degree in it u swine!

Still exhibiting your stupidity and foolishness. . I never said I am a Christian. Quoting bible doesn't make me a Christian.

Do I need to start schooling you. .. gosh!!! Can't you just act smart for a split second? I am done.

Bye stupid.

11 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 8:25pm On Nov 24, 2020
4words:

Still exhibiting your stupidity and foolishness. . I never said I am a Christian. Quoting bible doesn't make me a Christian.

Do I need to start schooling you. .. gosh!!! Can't you just act smart for a split second? I am done.

Bye stupid.

Lmaoooooo u really r a slippery swine.
You ain't going no where till I'm done drilling your ass.
You can't even stand up for christ?!

Wow! There wasn't even a cock crowing and u ghosted christ this quicker than peter?
Come back here u swine!

2 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 24, 2020
powerhouse3:
please change the score line,...

4words is now leading

U were saying?
Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by 4words: 9:03pm On Nov 24, 2020
GayPontiff:

U were saying?

Shaiii, so it's because of who is leading and not leading is the reason you've been displaying this much idiotic stupidity.

You are just a waste.

8 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 9:30pm On Nov 24, 2020
4words:

Shaiii, so it's because of who is leading and not leading is the reason you've been displaying this much idiotic stupidity.

You are just a waste.

Gullible brain dead christian with a whoreee of a mother and promiscuous gay father...
You denounced ur christ without blinking.
You should bury your head in shame.

1 Like

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Ekemeze: 9:35pm On Nov 24, 2020

4 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by tobechi74: 9:39pm On Nov 24, 2020
GayPontiff:
Such an idiot.
freedom comes at a cost. A half necked free man is better than a complete slave

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 24, 2020
tobechi74:
freedom comes at a cost. A half necked free man is better than a complete slave

Half necked?!

Another idiot.
Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 24, 2020
Ekemeze:
Someone made a great post and morons derailed it.

Such great thread.

Don't mind that moronnn!

tongue

1 Like

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 9:41pm On Nov 24, 2020
The Democrats won't like this.

They are the king of enslaving black people. No wonder they have continued their enslavement of the black man through their politics
Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by tobechi74: 9:45pm On Nov 24, 2020
GayPontiff:

Half necked?!

Another idiot.
Do you call everyone with a contrary opinion an idiot?

Nelson Mandela was willing to die than to watch oppression go on in South Africa . Does that make him an idiot?

5 Likes

Re: The Slave Who Shipped Himself Back To Freedom In A Box by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 24, 2020
tobechi74:

Do you call everyone with a contrary opinion an idiot?

Nelson Mandela was willing to die than to watch oppression go on in South Africa . Does that make him an idiot?

Not his opinion...just the "half necked" part.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Usman Dan Fodio University Issue Serious Warning (photo) / Meet Prof. Friday Okon, The Most Wicked Lecturer In Uniuyo / Inscan At Oc (uk Student Visa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.