Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,473 members, 7,836,873 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Paul's Epistle Verses James Epistle - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Paul's Epistle Verses James Epistle (148 Views)

Poverty In Nigeria Vs Richest Pastors In Nigeria - By Alawode-James Jumoke / Misuse Of The Bible Verses / Conquer Your Fears With These Courage-building Bible Verses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paul's Epistle Verses James Epistle by gud4vvvvv: 10:36am On Nov 29, 2020
I'm confused here...
in Paul's epistle to the Galatians, that is in chapter 2 he wrote about people being put right with God by not our righteousness but by Christ's sacrifice on the cross.he went on to write about people receiving what God promised as far as they belong to Jesus but James in James chapter 2vs20 it's written thus: you fool! do you want to be shown that faith without work is dead? He went on to write about Abraham's offering of Isaac. in verse 22 he wrote about Abraham's offering and faith being the reason why God blessed him. This two seems to be contradictory to me or do you think the word of God suppose to be contradictory?
your genuine clarification is needed here. thanks in advance.
Re: Paul's Epistle Verses James Epistle by Heartbender: 1:01pm On Nov 29, 2020
Nothing contradictory here. You too have said it. Our righteousness is not a result of our work but the ultimate sacrifice of God, the Son, Jesus Christ. However, faith has nothing to do with righteousness. It is putting your beliefs to work. While Paul was talking about salvation and redemption through Christ alone, James is talking about your belief. How you express it. Do you get?
gud4vvvvv:
I'm confused here...
in Paul's epistle to the Galatians, that is in chapter 2 he wrote about people being put right with God by not our righteousness but by Christ's sacrifice on the cross.he went on to write about people receiving what God promised as far as they belong to Jesus but James in James chapter 2vs20 it's written thus: you fool! do you want to be shown that faith without work is dead? He went on to write about Abraham's offering of Isaac. in verse 22 he wrote about Abraham's offering and faith being the reason why God blessed him. This two seems to be contradictory to me or do you think the word of God suppose to be contradictory?
Re: Paul's Epistle Verses James Epistle by senjutsu(m): 1:29pm On Nov 29, 2020
Heartbender:
Nothing contradictory here. You too have said it. Our righteousness is not a result of our work but the ultimate sacrifice of God, the Son, Jesus Christ. However, faith has nothing to do with righteousness. It is putting your beliefs to work. While Paul was talking about salvation and redemption through Christ alone, James is talking about your belief. How you express it. Do you get?
Correct!

1 Like

Re: Paul's Epistle Verses James Epistle by madegreatbygrace(m): 1:42pm On Nov 29, 2020
[quote author=gud4vvvvv post=96552691]I'm confused here...

The two apostles wrote about two different things and so one didn’t contradict the other. Paul wrote about justification by faith before God while James wrote about “justification“ by works before man. When James wrote that faith without works is dead, he meant if a man claims to have faith, yet without works, such faith is dead, that is barren or unproductive with respect to the man in need. This he tried to illustrate in James 2:14-16

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:14-16‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

If a man in need comes to you for help and you send him away saying, “faith will bring all you need”, without rendering the help needed by this man, then such faith is barren because it can not save the man in need. Such faith doesn’t profit him. It’s only acts of kindness rendered in love that will save this man from his misery or need.

No way did James write that a man with faith without works is not saved, or that this man will lose his salvation. He only stated that faith is meant to be accompanied with works, and that when faith is mixed with works , faith finds its full expression.

Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect?”
‭‭James‬ ‭2:22‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

I hope this helps.

(1) (Reply)

Lastest Nigerian Series Movie(life Issues) / Prepare For The Unknown / Magic: The Bridge Between Man And God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.