Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,110 members, 7,811,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women (2085 Views)

Five(5) Places Where Women Have More Than One Husband / Becheve: Cross River Community Where Unborn Baby Girls Are Betrothed To Aged Men / Machina: Yobe Community Where Snakes Are Friends With Human Beings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by ashiwaju2010(m): 6:35pm On Dec 04, 2020
PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women

Anioma, a Delta-Igbo community in Nigeria prides in her age-long culture that crowns the Omu Anioma- a traditional title to a woman, the culture permits an Omu to marry a woman or as many women of her choice. The twist here is that her wife (she is the man in the marriage) is allowed to marry or consort a man of her choice and they both procreate and bear children for the Omu. Most people ask, does the Omu have sexual intercourse?

https://reportdesks.com/index.php/2020/12/04/photos-see-an-igbo-community-where-women-marry-women/

History says the tradition of crowning an Omu is from Benin, Igara. Omu means palm front, which connotes fertility hence the stool of the Omu was constituted. Omu stands as Eze Nwanyi, female king in charge of women, female youths, markets, ancestral shrines, businesses. Delta communities that practice the omu system include Abala, Utchi, Aniocha, Oshimili, Nsukwa , Igodo, Ukwuani, Ubulu-Uku among others.

Igbodo communities differ in their approach as they appoint a council of Omu made up of several Omu and a head.
https://reportdesks.com/index.php/2020/12/04/photos-see-an-igbo-community-where-women-marry-women/

Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by AlexBells(m): 6:37pm On Dec 04, 2020
Culture so complicating but in between then the beauties...
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Bkayyy: 6:38pm On Dec 04, 2020
I've been singing it like psalms here and some Christians have made it a point of duty to insult me.
Any Igbo against female gay marriage doesn't know his root.
Its not just in western Igbo land but all.
Women have been marrying women in Igboland for ages before the missionaries came and abolished it, only to turn around and legalize it in their land and call it civilization.

By the way, you cheap bloggers like reportdesk should lie with caution. Omu is in no way related to Bini and Igara. Even the word "omu" meaning "palm frond" is Igbo.
Chai! What do you cheap bloggers wish to accomplish with such assertion?
Below is the real description of Omu
https://re-entanglements.net/omu-of-okpanam/

3 Likes

Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Nobody: 6:39pm On Dec 04, 2020
Don't ever let culture turn you to a vulture
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Yenefer(f): 6:40pm On Dec 04, 2020
Hmm igbos
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Twutin: 6:41pm On Dec 04, 2020
It’s an ancient tradition.

The women are allowed to have sex with any men they want but they marry other women.

It’s was only permitted for titled women though. (See the feather on her cap)

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by AlexBells(m): 6:42pm On Dec 04, 2020
Bkayyy:
I've been singing it like psalms here and some Christians have made it a point of duty to insult me.
Its not just in western Igbo land but all. Women have been marrying women in Igboland for ages before the missionaries came and abolished it
Get lost you and gay shit, all cultures have peculiarities and the traditions you see above does not imply the woman is sleeping with women, in Igboland there are some cultures that give women men right, appreciate our culture please

4 Likes

Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Abfinest007(m): 6:42pm On Dec 04, 2020
Nonsense
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by AlexBells(m): 6:43pm On Dec 04, 2020
Yenefer:
Hmm igbos
Do you got any problem with us??
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Jashub: 6:43pm On Dec 04, 2020
Disgusting. Lesbianism is now found in Igbo culture. God forbid!!!

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Kolisky(m): 6:45pm On Dec 04, 2020
Wetin Driver no go see for road grin

Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Conrod: 6:45pm On Dec 04, 2020
Yenefer:
Hmm igbos
As in their matter go pia you las las.
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Jashub: 6:48pm On Dec 04, 2020
Twutin:

Skull mining and female circumsicion is also a part of Yoruba culture.
Your foolishness told you I am yoruba, abi? Mumu Anioma from Sodom and Gomorrah
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by AlexBells(m): 6:48pm On Dec 04, 2020
Jashub:
Disgusting. Lesbianism is now found in Igbo culture. God forbid!!!
A woman marrying a woman is not lesbianism, it does not mean sexual encounter it means the female husband to get a man who will get the woman pregnant more like surrogacy
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Twutin: 6:49pm On Dec 04, 2020
Jashub:
Your foolishness told you I am yoruba, abi? Mumu Anioma from Sodom and Gomorrah

Not everyone is a Christian, biko, and I don’t care wether you are a cone head or not.

All I know is that, female curcumcision and skull mining is part of yaruba culture.
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 04, 2020
If this is true then it must be abolished. It is a bad culture and reflects the opposite of our norms as enlightened and God-believing Africans.

Not all cultures are founded on the right principles, like killing of twins, sacrificing people for dead kings etc. We just have to keep changing these things cos "culture" could be either good or bad.
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Jashub: 6:50pm On Dec 04, 2020
AlexBells:

A woman marrying a woman is not lesbianism, it does not mean sexual encounter it means the female husband to get a man who will get the woman pregnant more like surrogacy
Oga pack well jare. A woman marrying a woman is an ungodly act. Stop trying to embrace Sodomy make God nor punish you
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Bkayyy: 6:52pm On Dec 04, 2020
AlexBells:

Get lost you and gay shit, all cultures have peculiarities and the traditions you see above does not imply the woman is sleeping with women, in Igboland there are some cultures that give women men right, appreciate our culture please
Why are you hell bent on confusing yourself?

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Biafrannuke: 6:53pm On Dec 04, 2020
Total misinformation
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by medicinestone: 6:53pm On Dec 04, 2020
Wetin westlife no go see for an empty street
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by IamWonderful: 6:53pm On Dec 04, 2020
baby factory people
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by AlexBells(m): 6:57pm On Dec 04, 2020
Jashub:
Oga pack well jare. A woman marrying a woman is an ungodly act. Stop trying to embrace Sodomy make God nor punish you
And God let them thrive for generations, you don't know the ways of God
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Jashub: 7:04pm On Dec 04, 2020
AlexBells:

And God let them thrive for generations, you don't know the ways of God
Point of correction : God has no delight in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked change from his wicked ways and live(Ezekiel 33:11). These people are doing what is wrong and you know it..or are you gay yourself?
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Ojiofor: 7:09pm On Dec 04, 2020
[quote author=Bkayyy post=96733355]I've been singing it like psalms here and some Christians have made it a point of duty to insult me.
[s]Any Igbo against female gay marriage doesn't know his root.[/s]
Women have been marrying women in Igboland for ages before the missionaries came and abolished it, only to turn around and legalize it in their land and call it civilization.

By the way, you cheap bloggers like reportdesk should lie with caution. Omu is in no way related to Bini and Igara. Even the word "omu" meaning "palm frond" is Igbo.
Chai! What do you cheap bloggers wish to accomplish with such assertion?
Below is the real description of Omu
https://re-entanglements.net/omu-of-okpanam/
]

The puppose of such marriages in Igboland is to raise children for her father's house in case there was no surviving male child in that family not for lesbian sexual immorality.
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by AlexBells(m): 7:29pm On Dec 04, 2020
Jashub:
Point of correction : God has no delight in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked change from his wicked ways and live(Ezekiel 33:11). These people are doing what is wrong and you know it..or are you gay yourself?
So you are insinuating that the practice alone qualified us as wicked
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Jashub: 7:38pm On Dec 04, 2020
AlexBells:

So you are insinuating that the practice alone qualified us as wicked
Stop digressing and answer the question.
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by AlexBells(m): 7:44pm On Dec 04, 2020
Jashub:
Stop digressing and answer the question.
What question
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Jashub: 7:54pm On Dec 04, 2020
AlexBells:

What question
I will take that as a rhetorical question
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by AlexBells(m): 8:19pm On Dec 04, 2020
Jashub:
I will take that as a rhetorical question
Good question lol
Re: PHOTOS; See An Igbo Community Where Women Marry Women by Kondomatic(m): 9:39pm On Dec 04, 2020
Bkayyy:
/

Oga what these people do and gaysim are two entirely different things.

I have seen where this happened, a woman has only one son and the son died at young age so the woman got him a wife.

The wife is to sleep with another man outside just to give the boy's mother children.

Then there are some rich women who marry other women to raise kids for themselves to continue their lineage.

The difference here is that these wives sleep with men outside(some are arranged) to have children.

They don't sleep or have any kind of intercourse with the women that married them.

How is this same with today's same sex marriage?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cwa: Chewing With Attitude- Nigerian Women What's Up With That? / Any Edo People Here? / Interesting Facts You May Not Know About Ancient Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.