Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,211 members, 7,829,344 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. (1140 Views)

Omolei Pelumi Ighoya: WAEC Result Of A Lagos Public Secondary School Student / Man Storms Ogun School With Thugs To Attack Teacher Who Beat His Daughter / Woman Takes Her Daughter To School With Bicycle (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by OyedejiIfedayo: 9:34pm On Dec 05, 2020
I thought this should have changed. Why is pankere still an important requirement for schools. I don't think beating and corporal punishment are doing any good to the society, even if they do what each child requires varies a lot.
As for me and my siblings, talking to us had always have great positive effect on us, whereas the little time spent at schools that take beating as discipline nearly turned us into monsters. Seeing 'pankere' in a school's list is enough to make me loose total interest in the school.

And wait ooo, who is in charge of making the school requirement list for government schools.

1 Like

Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by zang: 9:36pm On Dec 05, 2020
Spare the rod and spoil the child

1 Like

Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by AirmirthDY(f): 9:41pm On Dec 05, 2020
Teachers cannot do without cane in public schools.. Most of the students are their mates..... And some, animals in human body.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by OyedejiIfedayo: 9:41pm On Dec 05, 2020
zang:
Spare the rod and spoil the child
Well said but the rod is not for every child and most teachers don't know that.

1 Like

Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 05, 2020
Was it not used on you? I still believe in it cos it makes my job easier.

Like seriously, I can't teach without holding it. Though most of my schools are adopting the no cane policy, I still find a way to get one into the class. I may not even need to use it afterall. The thing is, If this children don't see cane, they won't pay attention and all your efforts will be in vain. But once they see it, they'll be at their best behavior and give you 100% attention which makes them learn better.

3 Likes

Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by Uyi168: 10:14pm On Dec 05, 2020
CalliDora1:
Nor go flog person pikin, then give am injury oo..

E nor go funny o
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by OyedejiIfedayo: 10:31pm On Dec 05, 2020
CalliDora1:

Like seriously, I can't teach without holding it. Though most of my schools are adopting the no cane policy, I still find a way to get one into the class. I may not even need to use it afterall. The thing is, If this children don't see cane, they won't pay attention and all your efforts will be in vain. But once they see it, they'll be at their best behavior and give you 100% attention which makes them learn better.

You are very much wrong. Yes I also passed through this system, and for me the cane never helped in concentrating. Even for some it serves as a distraction.
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by OyedejiIfedayo: 10:35pm On Dec 05, 2020
CalliDora1:

what you do is instilling fear and it's never helped in learning. What works is to create a good student teacher relationship. My mum was a public school teacher and never used a cane through out her years of teaching, yet most of her former students commend her has one of the best teachers they've had.
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 05, 2020
OyedejiIfedayo:

You are very much wrong. Yes I also passed through this system, and for me the cane never helped in concentrating. Even for some it serves as a distraction.

You can't be so sure It doesn't work. it works for me though. And I have a good relationship with all my students as I also make them feel at home in the course of the whole thing. So, I really don't come across as a monster or instill fear in them.
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by OyedejiIfedayo: 10:53pm On Dec 05, 2020
CalliDora1:

You can't be so sure It doesn't work. it works for me though. And I have a good relationship with all my students as I also make them feel at home in the course of the whole thing. So, I really don't come across as a monster or instill fear in them.

OK then, if it works for you, no problem ma'am. But I still believe a cane shouldn't be necessary thing for teaching. It's totally secondary.
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by olanipekun14360: 8:06am On Dec 06, 2020
Teachers cannot do without cane in public schools.. Most of the students are their mates..... And some, animals in human body.
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by paulolee(m): 9:14am On Dec 06, 2020
dont know about now bcoz bk then in skul, canes are already provided by the teachers themselves n dts the only thing they can buy in abundance freely for students..
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by ojotobiloba1: 10:12am On Dec 06, 2020
OyedejiIfedayo:

what you do is instilling fear and it's never helped in learning. What works is to create a good student teacher relationship. My mum was a public school teacher and never used a cane through out her years of teaching, yet most of her former students commend her has one of the best teachers they've had.
Easier said than done chief.. Be in the class for a week and use that protocol u earlier stated if it would work
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by tobechi74: 8:32pm On Dec 06, 2020
I used Cane but not to flog. To Maintain order . I flog the table and everyone is quiet
Re: A Public Secondary School With Pankere(cane) As Part Of Requirements. by OyedejiIfedayo: 7:25am On Dec 07, 2020
ojotobiloba1:

Easier said than done chief.. Be in the class for a week and use that protocol u earlier stated if it would work

OK sir. I know there's always stubborn people in a community talkless of a class of students. I don't blame teachers who only hold it to make the students focus, for students are not easy to control.

Nevertheless, I know there are other (punitive) ways more effective and less damaging than the cane. Teachers who just wave it in class may be forced to use it. Some end up beating the wrong kid especially when teaching in a school with many bad kids.

I have a strong aversion for the cane because I have seen many of its damaging effect. Once saw a kid whose hands swelled and was in pain after what most would consider a light beating.

Also to not get me wrong I am concerned because many teachers in public schools beat without any consideration and this is so damaging. So if we talk about the provocative students, we need to discuss the teachers who also misuse the rod.

If you use the cane with sense, I can say no wàhálà.

Like CalliDora1 later said she use it to command decorum, I am indifferent to her use of it. I would have appreciated it if not for her earlier statement that wasn't it used on me?

And lastly I may not be a teacher but I have had the opportunity to tutor students before, though I know tutoring matured students who want to sit for an important exam can't be compared to school teaching, I always have total control over my class.

(1) (Reply)

Are You Aware You Have Been Using These Wrong Terms / Bob marley| One the greatest reggae musicians of all time [photos] / How To Buy Udemy Course In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.