Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,604 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

HIV/AIDS - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / HIV/AIDS (7785 Views)

Maduike Ezeibe Claims He Cures HIV/AIDS / HIV/AIDS Drugs To Be Manufactured In Nigeria - UNAIDS / CSA-54: A Possible Cure For HIV/AIDS! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HIV/AIDS by nferyn(m): 12:13pm On Nov 18, 2005
ijebuman:

Definition of 'cure' (from dictionary.com)

cure (kyr)n.

Restoration of health; recovery from disease.
A method or course of treatment used to restore health.
An agent that restores health; a remedy.

nferyn I disagree, you can cure malaria but there is no vaccine to prevent it or stop it from reoccurring if you're exposed to it again. Malaria "can't be contained to a certain degree" as you either have the parasites in your body or you don't (which is the case when you are treated for it i.e cured) .

You are absolutely right. I'm not a native English speaker, so i didn't fully get the correct meaning of cure. I meant to say the erradication of the parasite. Those treatments can restore the health of the patients, although the health level of some may be permanently decreased.

It's very important that everybody that is not native to tropical Africa or other tropical regions take the necessary precautions. Even those Africans that migrated should get their full supplement of shots when they come back as they've lost a big part of their immunity against malaria.
Re: HIV/AIDS by Soulful(m): 7:21pm On Nov 29, 2005
Hello all,

Very interesting thread especially sa I'm currently a doctor working in the UK with HIV patients.

I have to say that this thread has really surprised me as I can't believe some of the statements being made!!

As has been said earlier HIV is very real. 5% is the official estimate in Nigeria but is likely to be more than that with more accurate recording. Even here in London I can certainly tell you that there are A LOT of HIV positive nigerians!!! I see them every day. Medication is wonderful and is allowing people to live normal lives (see Magic johnson). I've seen many patients who ar alive 20-25yrs after diagnosis and who are doing very well.

I would like to make a comment about what seems to be stereotyping people coming from sub-saharan africa as all having HIV. Well I'm sorry but this is just common sense and no conspiracy theory needs to be conjured up. As doctors we work on the premise that common things are common. So if you see someone from a country of high incidence (5% meets that definition) and they are in hospital with a suggestive illness then you have to assume HIV till proven otherwise. EVERYBODY attending a sexual health clinic is offered an HIV test simply because sexually transmitted infections and HIV go hand in hand. Believe me having worked in South Africa anyone coming to hospital is assumed to have HIV until they have a blood test saying that they are not. It is no different to someone coming back from a malaria endemic country with a temperature. Everyone assumes malaria until proven otherwise. Its not prejudice but common sense!!

Everyone, trust no one, always use protection and if you are not sure whether you have been at risk or not then go and get a test done. Its scary but its better than waiting till you get ill when you may or may not recover. Oh, and by the way, at risk means if you have EVER had unprotected sex:-)
Re: HIV/AIDS by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 01, 2005
today 1st of December is the World AIDS Day!
Re: HIV/AIDS by queen2(f): 8:32pm On Dec 01, 2005
Just where did AIDS come from?

Anyone that knows should please tell me where Aids was first discovered what they said in my school about Aids this week being the Worlds Aids Day/Week was that Aids was first discovered in kenya about 20years ago, that it was from Chimpanzee, Is this true?

Re: HIV/AIDS by WesleyanA(f): 11:36pm On Dec 01, 2005
nferyn (m)
Belgium

Re: HIV/AIDS
« #19 on: October 15, 2005, 12:00 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: obong on July 10, 2005, 03:09 AM
AIDS didn't come from Congo. Don't buy that

It did. It's originally a retro virus that was common in monkeys in the Congo bassin, but it mutated. It is assumed that it jumped species because it's very common in Congo to eat monkey meat and that creates a lot of opportunity for the virus to infect humans
Please visit http://www.who.int/hiv/en/ and http://www.unaids.org/EN/default.asp for more info
These are reputable sources concerning HIV/AIDS. Please do not follow the advice of the conspiracy theory advocates
Re: HIV/AIDS by queen2(f): 9:12am On Dec 02, 2005
I saw this somewhere

it is likely that Africa was indeed the continent where the transfer of HIV to humans first occurred (monkeys from Asia and South America have never been found to have SIVs that could cause HIV in humans). However, who exactly spread the virus from Africa , to America and beyond remains a mystery. It is quite possible that separate 'pockets' of the virus could have been developing in a number of different countries years before the first cases were ever officially identified, making it virtually impossible to trace one single source.
Re: HIV/AIDS by nferyn(m): 9:54am On Dec 02, 2005
queen2:

I saw this somewhere

it is likely that Africa was indeed the continent where the transfer of HIV to humans first occurred (monkeys from Asia and South America have never been found to have SIVs that could cause HIV in humans). However, who exactly spread the virus from Africa , to America and beyond remains a mystery. It is quite possible that separate 'pockets' of the virus could have been developing in a number of different countries years before the first cases were ever officially identified, making it virtually impossible to trace one single source.

What you post here is actually very interesting. From studies of the different variants of the HIV virus, it seems that the DNA of the variant mostly found in Africa is sufficiently different from the variant mostly found in the USA and Europe, that they may even come from 2 independent mutations. Anyway, we're far from finding out the exact truth about the origins of HIV
Re: HIV/AIDS by ijebuman(m): 1:50pm On Dec 02, 2005
nferyn:

Anyway, we're far from finding out the exact truth about the origins of HIV

completely agree with you nferyn. I just think there's more to this than we know about and thats why i mentioned in an earlier post about my doubts about HIV's origins.
If we were to use the Ebola virus as an example, we know they've found 3 different strains of it so far - Ebola Zaire, Ebola Sudan and Ebola Reston, even though the first two were found in Africa, the last one was found in the Philippines and it is very similar to the Zaire and Sudan strains but it did not kill the people who were exposed to it.
Re: HIV/AIDS by Bilspop(m): 2:05pm On Dec 04, 2005
Im very glad this issue comes up. After my girlfriend, another thing that occupies my mind most is 'what is d cure for AIDS'. I read alot on HIV/AIDS to get a clud bt i seem helpless. Guys, dont lets leave d main to discuss the mini. Is it where d disease comes from that d cure is? I knw a little study of the origin will help. Im on my personal project of the cure for HIV/AIDS. Though, no clue yet but im still shaking my brains. I want to make it an open project now. Lets make it a Nairaland project. Though, their's no funding for our research but we have some doctors and scientists here, lets task our brains and bring up ideas. Lets do it. I have a strong believe the cure is available. Lets go into research and experiments. Raise what you think here and lets delibrate. Ideas are like chikens, if you have one and rare it very well, you'll soon have a dozen. Also, anyone that wants to join this project, whatever religion u may be in, please pray for divine support and instructions. AIDS is real.
Im very glad this issue comes up. After my girlfriend, another thing that occupies my mind most is 'what is d cure for AIDS'. I read alot on HIV/AIDS to get a clud bt i seem helpless. Guys, dont lets leave d main to discuss the mini. Is it where d disease comes from that d cure is? I knw a little study of the origin will help. Im on my personal project of the cure for HIV/AIDS. Though, no clue yet but im still shaking my brains. I want to make it an open project now. Lets make it a Nairaland project. Though, their's no funding for our research but we have some doctors and scientists here, lets task our brains and bring up ideas. Lets do it. I have a strong believe the cure is available. Lets go into research and experiments. Raise what you think here and lets delibrate. Ideas are like chikens, if you have one and rare it very well, you'll soon have a dozen. Also, anyone that wants to join this project, whatever religion u may be in, please pray for divine support and instructions. AIDS is real.
Re: HIV/AIDS by Bilspop(m): 2:13pm On Dec 04, 2005
Sorry everyone for sending d same message several times. My phone was hanging, giving me some error report, when i was tryng to post d reply. I didnt know it has posted, so i retried many times
Re: HIV/AIDS by nferyn(m): 10:23pm On Dec 04, 2005
Bilspop:

I'm very glad this issue comes up. After my girlfriend, another thing that occupies my mind most is 'what is d cure for AIDS'. I read alot on HIV/AIDS to get a clud bt i seem helpless. Guys, don't lets leave d main to discuss the mini. Is it where d disease comes from that d cure is? I knw a little study of the origin will help. I'm on my personal project of the cure for HIV/AIDS. Though, no clue yet but im still shaking my brains. I want to make it an open project now. Lets make it a Nairaland project. Though, their's no funding for our research but we have some doctors and scientists here, lets task our brains and bring up ideas. Lets do it. I have a strong believe the cure is available. Lets go into research and experiments. Raise what you think here and lets delibrate. Ideas are like chikens, if you have one and rare it very well, you'll soon have a dozen. Also, anyone that wants to join this project, whatever religion u may be in, please pray for divine support and instructions. AIDS is real.

What is your research experience on the subject? I don't understand that you think that discussions on this forum can bring us any closer to a cure.
Re: HIV/AIDS by pharrod(m): 4:16am On Dec 05, 2005
i was watching a documentry on discovery today .they were showing how AIDS is fast making some children orphans,but the most anoying part of it is why does most africans descriminates to those who are Hiv POSITIVE or full blown AIDS people.thats not good.they have already asigned them to death while they are still alive.And why would some people hide that they are HIV positive?.better they come out and say .one still have future even if you are HIV positive.
Re: HIV/AIDS by larger20(m): 3:01pm On Dec 05, 2005
oooooooooooooooooo
Re: HIV/AIDS by brick(m): 12:38pm On Dec 26, 2005
this is a very nice topic i love to contribute to. talking about educating ourselves on HIV \AIDS.
HIV as it is known is the virus that is transmitted from an infected person to another while AIDS is the full  blown stage when the body' s immune system have been weakened upon attack by the virus. the virus resides in the fluid of the human body. the body fluid include breast milk, blood, semen and vagina fluid.
the virus can be transmitted during 1. sexual intercourse 2. sharing of skin- piercing instrument e.g razors, clippers, scissors e.t.c 3 mother to child through pregnancy, delivery or breastfeeding 4. blood transfusion.
avoiding contacting the virus will involve using any or all known methods for prvention- (A) abstaining completely from sexual intercourse, (B) sticking to one faithful and uninfected sexual partner, (C)consisitently and constantly using condoms, (D) desisiting from or sharing skin- piercing objects, (E)encouraging and going for HIV voluntary testing and couselling,( F)ensuring to follow up all treatment on STI
let me conclude by saying u can still live longer when confirmed u have the virus- by changing your behaviour, eating well and taking your medication as pescribed by the doctor
Re: HIV/AIDS by rashman(m): 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2005
Of all the diseases in these world there is a cure.Aids is a purnishment from GOD for people who are promiscuis.
Re: HIV/AIDS by Soulful(m): 7:57pm On Dec 27, 2005
So I guess alll those haemophiliac children who got contaminated blood products fall into that category as well
Re: HIV/AIDS by sage(m): 3:08am On Dec 28, 2005
rashman:

Of all the diseases in these world there is a cure.Aids is a purnishment from GOD for people who are promiscuis.
These kind of comments are ignorant and dont deserve any reply
Re: HIV/AIDS by Lboogie(f): 2:39pm On Feb 17, 2006
hiv is definitely real im leaving with i ve nt started treatment cos ma cd4 count is still high and ma immune system still good .i ll only start treatment when d cd4 count is down.and i can live with for d span of ma life. mind u hiv\aids has been classified together with cancer ,diabetes,and hepatits smiley so we ve good chances of leavin normal lives except we cant ve unprotected sex n and im sure u guys know we can have babies too wink even u ve AIDS u can still be revived with d right cocktail of drugs grin. its only in african countrys do pple with hiv live in hiding n are even afraid to get treatment .hmmm but we all hope for a change of attitude

1 Like

Re: HIV/AIDS by oregon(m): 6:13pm On May 11, 2006
First off, HIV is definitely real, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. We can both see virus particles with electron microscopes and we have finished sequencing the HIV genome. The genome sequence has shown that is a variant of Simian Immunodeficiency Virus (SIV), which is HIV for monkeys. There are also other variants that affect different types of animals. HIV is an RNA virus. It infects CD4+ immune cells (helper T cells) which are involved in long term immunity. Once inside the cell, it replicates itself into DNA and copies itself into the genome of the infected cell. Modern AIDS treatments are extremely effective at controlling the replication of HIV. Most people use a three drug cocktail of AZT, Combavir and Sustiva. These drugs generally limit the ability of the virus to replicate. An additional drug, Fuzeon, that acts by inhibiting virus fusion with the CD4 cell in the first place, came on the market in 2003. However, it is very epensive (20,000 US$) per year, and is generally too expensive for most people outside of Europe and North America. When these drugs are combined, the amount of virus in the body can be reduced to indectable levels. However, these people are NOT cured because the virus can hide inside of resting immune cells and can reactivate once the drug treatments are stopped. Currently, there are dozens of projects in progress worldwide researching different ways to cure HIV. Several vaccines are being tested, but HIV mutates at a very fast rate, which makes it difficult to create treatments that are effective for lots of people. For now, the best course of action is prevention through education, abstinence and distribution of condoms. Distribution of the HIV cocktail is also effective, although inconsistent treatment using these drugs will eventually lead to virus that are resistant to the HIV cocktail.
Re: HIV/AIDS by Priscila(f): 11:15am On May 13, 2006
South Africa's Jacob Xuma said he washed himself with cold water after sleeping with a hiv positive woman and he did that to get immunity.
Such a highly placed man in society --former vice president? Its a pity
South Africa being the highly developed African country- I was puzzled.
In these days of awareness! I lack words to express such ignorance
Re: HIV/AIDS by 4Play(m): 6:19pm On May 13, 2006
It's possible that the high incidence of HIV in Africa is due to possibility that it had long been in existence in Africa without anyone's knowledge.It was only untill the spread of it to the Western world was it detected and something began to be done about it,by then it was already late.

Now it is only constant education that can save Africans because even now a lot of Africans are still ignorant about how HIV operates.

Incidentaly I don't think infection rates are as high as they are potrayed.The high rates often quoted are an effective way of raising awareness because people fail to act upon any issue untill there is a bit of scaremongering
Re: HIV/AIDS by ijebuman(m): 4:35pm On May 26, 2006
Another theory on the origins of the HIV virus

The origin of HIV has been found in wild chimpanzees living in southern Cameroon, researchers report.
A virus called SIVcpz (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus from chimps) was thought to be the source, but had only been found in a few captive animals.

rest of story
HIV origin 'found in wild chimps'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5012268.stm
Re: HIV/AIDS by Honey123: 4:26am On May 27, 2006
Re: HIV/AIDS by nowahala: 4:37pm On Oct 08, 2006
Hi,

This is something that must concern all of us, no matter our origin. Let's check the research statistics, surprisingly, in Nigeria the comprehensive knowledge of HIV/AIDS in young people with some education ("primary" or "secondary school and beyond"wink is the lowest in a group of 11 sub-saharan countries!

http://data.unaids.org/pub/GlobalReport/2006/2006GlobalReportSlide021.ppt

There are some other useful slides of information about AIDS around the world:

http://www.unaids.org/en/HIV_data/default.asp

About the treatment, the antiretroviral option is facing virus resistance and mutation: "THE gains of anti-retroviral treatment for people living with HIV-AIDS are being eroded by resistance the virus is building up against some of the drugs, a local doctor has warned." Copyright © 2006 The Namibian.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200609260073.html

Let's strive to get ourselves informed! Let's spread the word!

nw.
Re: HIV/AIDS by face969: 1:12am On Oct 29, 2007
Re: HIV/AIDS by face969: 1:17am On Oct 29, 2007
Re: HIV/AIDS by face969: 11:32pm On Oct 29, 2007
Greatpeter r u a medic?

If u r I advise you read the topic above yours and especially the part on Koch's postulates you that stuff youwere taught in microbiology class inmed school remember?

If youstill believe that theres such a thing as HIV then, sad
Re: HIV/AIDS by Dmajesty(m): 4:33pm On Nov 10, 2007
Very soon, HIV will be understood by all NOT as an illness but a state of the body. What I mean is that it will not be seen as deadly as people thought it is. Living with HIV is simple and easy. It pays no one any good to discriminate people with HIV/Aids.

Respect, care and defend their rights anywhere you are.

For thorough information on the knowledge, protecting and living with HIV, search http://hivisreal.webs.io

Encourage anyone that has this virus.

Cheers, ONE NIGERIA FOR EVER!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Foods That Boost Fertility And Ovulation In Women / Lagos Discharges 90 Coronavirus Patients Today / Cosmetic [Plastic] Surgery is So Bad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.