Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,059 members, 7,814,647 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Is Decagon Worth It? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Decagon Worth It? (10595 Views)

Is Studying Computer Science In A Public Nigeria University Worth It / Does Anyone Know About Decagon? / Thread For Those Who Got Accepted Into Decagon Software Engineering Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 7:22pm On Dec 07, 2020
I heard about decagon training IT guys for software development and I applied, I scaled through the home assessment test, preparing to go for the in-person interview, now I heard from guys that one must have a guarantor who'll pay 3M in case you don't pay back the training fee and you'll be under contract for 3 years till you pay back the fee. Experienced guys in the house, is it worth it dedicating my time for this or I should just keep Skilling up.
Your sincere comments would be much appreciated.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by cixak95212: 12:28am On Dec 08, 2020
I know many people there, none has given good feedback so far so good.
Doesnt still mean, it wont work out for you.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 3:36am On Dec 08, 2020
I guess they are stucked with the system.
My major concern is the clause.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Karleb(m): 6:19am On Dec 08, 2020
O boy! 3 years is a long time.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by 404Dev: 9:12am On Dec 08, 2020
for me better to go through online courses on udemy and laracasts and vue mastery

1 Like

Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:28am On Dec 08, 2020
They are gonna be teaching you the MERN stack which i wouldn't lie would be very hard to get a job in Nigeria especially as a junior developer. Heaven knows I hate Nodejs lipsrsealed
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 11:00am On Dec 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
They are gonna be teaching you the MERN stack which i wouldn't lie would be very hard to get a job in Nigeria especially as a junior developer. Heaven knows I hate Nodejs lipsrsealed
But you used to be a JavaScript evangelist why the sudden change in path, I know that node.js is overated. That decagon of a thing is a bondage.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:21am On Dec 08, 2020
Johnmattee:

But you used to be a JavaScript evangelist why the sudden change in path, I know that node.js is overated. That decagon of a thing is a bondage.

I love Javascript and React on the frontend but Nodejs isn't as important as it's hyped up to be.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 12:08pm On Dec 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I love Javascript and React on the frontend but Nodejs isn't as important as it's hyped up to be.
Okay, anyways, the decagon of a thing is just overhyped. 3 fvcking years shocked

1 Like

Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:18pm On Dec 08, 2020
Johnmattee:

Okay, anyways, the decagon of a thing is just overhyped. 3 fvcking years shocked
True sha and what if you don't get a job to pay back the money. Salaries for junior developers in Nigeria range from 100 to 250k ish. So practically you would save your whole 3 years salary untouched to pay back.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 12:32pm On Dec 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

True sha and what if you don't get a job to pay back the money. Salaries for junior developers in Nigeria range from 100 to 250k ish. So practically you would save your whole 3 years salary untouched to pay back.
That's serious ooo, monkey dey work baboon dey chop! So what are you into now since you've moved away from JavaScript.
I am waiting for HNGi8 next year, I'll be more than prepared.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:47pm On Dec 08, 2020
Johnmattee:

That's serious ooo, monkey dey work baboon dey chop! So what are you into now since you've moved away from JavaScript.
I am waiting for HNGi8 next year, I'll be more than prepared.
PHP and WordPress for backend shit. Would pick up salesforce next year or Magento. Haven't made up my mind yet.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 1:03pm On Dec 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

PHP and WordPress for backend shit. Would pick up salesforce next year or Magento. Haven't made up my mind yet.
I thought PHP is getting outdated, maybe I'm wrong. why not try Golang.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Karleb(m): 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2020
Johnmattee:

I thought PHP is getting outdated, maybe I'm wrong. why not try Golang.

Oh God! sad sad

Where exactly do you people keep hearing this for God's sake?!

2 Likes

Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 2:30pm On Dec 08, 2020
Karleb:

Oh God! sad sad

Where exactly do you people keep hearing this for God's sake?!
it's a trend
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Karleb(m): 2:36pm On Dec 08, 2020
Johnmattee:
it's a trend
The trend is false.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2020
Karleb:

The trend is false.
Another PHP die-hard spotted. grin
PHP to me is somehow antiquated.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Karleb(m): 3:17pm On Dec 08, 2020
Johnmattee:
Another PHP die-hard spotted. grin PHP to me is somehow antiquated.
I'm not a PHP die hard.
Truth is, majority of what you have heard about about the language is false.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 3:33pm On Dec 08, 2020
Karleb:

I'm not a PHP die hard.

Truth is, majority of what you have heard about about the language is false.
hmmn....okay. 2021 is around the corner, I can't go for php lailai
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Karleb(m): 3:38pm On Dec 08, 2020
Johnmattee:

hmmn....okay. 2021 is around the corner, I can't go for php lailai

I don't remember asking you to go for PHP or any language. undecided

Make your research before believing a trend. There are also myths in this land.

1 Like

Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by privaldo: 9:44pm On Dec 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

You should give Go a try, dumped the idea of learning Node.js for Go.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by Johnmattee(m): 10:11pm On Dec 08, 2020
privaldo:

You should give Go a try, dumped the idea of learning Node.js for Go.
are you an expert in Go?
how are you able to wrap your head around concurrency?
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by TechCapon(m): 5:46pm On Apr 23, 2021
cixak95212:
I know many people there, none has given good feedback so far so good.
Doesnt still mean, it wont work out for you.
hi, I just passed the Decagon exam? Pls tell me some of the feedbacks that you got about them so I'll stop wasting my time. Thanks
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by TechCapon(m): 5:48pm On Apr 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I passed the exam but I'm having second thoughts about the program? I don't even have a guarantor with 3m. Lol. What do you think?
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by TechCapon(m): 5:49pm On Apr 23, 2021
Johnmattee:
I heard about decagon training IT guys for software development and I applied, I scaled through the home assessment test, preparing to go for the in-person interview, now I heard from guys that one must have a guarantor who'll pay 3M in case you don't pay back the training fee and you'll be under contract for 3 years till you pay back the fee. Experienced guys in the house, is it worth it dedicating my time for this or I should just keep Skilling up.
Your sincere comments would be much appreciated.
did you later proceed with the Decagon program?
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:50pm On Apr 23, 2021
TechCapon:
I passed the exam but I'm having second thoughts about the program? I don't even have a guarantor with 3m. Lol. What do you think?
Men learn on your own. Get data, create time, learn and build projects. That's how many of us learnt and we working now. I don't see the need for paying millions when all you need is online you just need discipline.

5 Likes

Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by privaldo: 10:34pm On Apr 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Men learn on your own. Get data, create time, learn and build projects. That's how many of us learnt and we working now. I don't see the need for paying millions when all you need is online you just need discipline.

Hello bro, I saw a thread where you talked about WordPress CMS and PHP. I want to ask you if it is feasible for a Python developer to easily switch to PHP and WordPress, because finding jobs in Python is very hard and the requirements are out of this world. Also, how fast do you think I can get a gig (no matter how small) after learning?
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2021
privaldo:

Hello bro, I saw a thread where you talked about WordPress CMS and PHP. I want to ask you if it is feasible for a Python developer to easily switch to PHP and WordPress, because finding jobs in Python is very hard and the requirements are out of this world. Also, how fast do you think I can get a gig (no matter how small) after learning?
Yes it is. Use a week to learn PHP then use like 5 weeks to learn wordpress.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by privaldo: 10:56pm On Apr 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Yes it is. Use a week to learn PHP then use like 5 weeks to learn wordpress.

Thanks. Do you source your gigs on Upwork?
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:58pm On Apr 23, 2021
privaldo:

Thanks. Do you source your gigs on Upwork?
Yeah when I started but I rarely use it anymore. Indeed, Linkedin and tech communities work better.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by privaldo: 11:06pm On Apr 23, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

Yeah when I started but I rarely use it anymore. Indeed, Linkedin and tech communities work better.

Please you would introduce me to the tech communities your are pary of and how you setup your UpWork account when I get started. Let me get to work for now, Thanks for the advice.
Re: Is Decagon Worth It? by TechCapon(m): 7:50am On Apr 24, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I've already dumped the entire Decagon idea

(1) (2) (Reply)

Webex Technology At A Glance / HTML5 A Programming Language Or Not / As A Computer Science Student,which Language Should I Start Learning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.