Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University (4979 Views)

New Career In Nursing Or Further In Business Admin / Setting Up A Barbershop Or Going To School Abroad / Learning To Drive From Someone Or Going To A Driving School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by Not9ce(m): 4:03am On Dec 09, 2020
Dear nairalander, I have a sister who's in confusion about going to Nursing school or University for her Nurse carrier. Anyone with better suggestion should please advice thanks

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by Juell(m): 4:06am On Dec 09, 2020
Let her go through the university, she'll have a degree at the end.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by Freestainworld(m): 4:13am On Dec 09, 2020
University is better for degree purposes.

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by KvnGBaNks: 4:16am On Dec 09, 2020
University it's better for degrees. It gives you confidence

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by Khayceeofficial(m): 5:51am On Dec 09, 2020
make she hustle that nursing school and try her best to go abroad...
Even male nurses are hot cake over there in the US

3 Likes

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by xcelpro: 3:18pm On Dec 09, 2020
Not9ce:
Dear nairalander, I have a sister who's in confusion about going to Nursing school or University for her Nurse carrier. Anyone with better suggestion should please advice thanks

School of nursing is good but I will suggest she go through a university. I have a friend who finished from school of nursing and was certified after 3yrs but he still picked jamb form only to be admitted for anatomy.

So I will conclude that if your sister have the means to travel abroad after her school of nursing she can pick school of nursing but if no means she should better go through university

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by DAramis: 12:58am On Dec 10, 2020
xcelpro:

School of nursing is good but I will suggest she go through a university. I have a friend who finished from school of nursing and was certified after 3yrs but he still picked jamb form only to be admitted for anatomy.

So I will conclude that if your sister have the means to travel abroad after her school of nursing she can pick school of nursing but if no means she should better go through university
My question is this, why do people still have to go to back university after attending school of nursing?

Is it that, the education and skill acquired in nursing school is not adequate or could it be due to salary structure between them and nurses that graduated from universities being different ( Like it was obtainable between HND and university graduates)?
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by mycvcreator: 1:08am On Dec 10, 2020
Get a Professional Resume / CV at https://mycvcreator.com/ or download the mobile app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycvcreator.app
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by xcelpro: 8:55am On Dec 10, 2020
DAramis:

My question is this, why do people still have to go to back university after attending school of nursing?

Is it that, the education and skill acquired in nursing school is not adequate or could it be due to salary structure between them and nurses that graduated from universities being different ( Like it was obtainable between HND and university graduates)?
Let me not say much here, the simple truth is that the Nigeria system does not favour school of nursing graduates, it's bad but that's the system we found ourselves and worst of it all is that the govt don't care as far as it does not concern them

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by Abatemtem(m): 10:38am On Dec 10, 2020
As a nursing student in the University, I can say the content of education is different. Schools of nursing only teach what is needed to pass their exams and as such, their curriculum is deficient. As for the degree, one is required to take courses from several fields including sociology, political science, administration, microbiology, statistics besides the general nursing and clinical courses.

As for clinical postings, there is no difference in the level of competence between the two groups. Both pathways have to sit for a licensing exam in their final or penultimate year of study and so far anyone can pass it, they are competent enough to be nurse.

The University education affords you a plethora of experiences that can't be gotten at the school of nursing. This alone is a good reason to opt for the university pathway
DAramis:

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by DAramis: 10:58am On Dec 10, 2020
Abatemtem:
As a nursing student in the University, I can say the content of education is different. Schools of nursing only teach what is needed to pass their exams and as such, their curriculum is deficient. As for the degree, one is required to take courses from several fields including sociology, political science, administration, microbiology, statistics besides the general nursing and clinical courses.

As for clinical postings, there is no difference in the level of competence between the two groups. Both pathways have to sit for a licensing exam in their final or penultimate year of study and so far anyone can pass it, they are competent enough to be nurse.

The University education affords you a plethora of experiences that can't be gotten at the school of nursing. This alone is a good reason to opt for the university pathway

Thank you for your detailed reply. My younger sister is an aspirant and she made similar remark on not being interested in pursuing her program in nursing school. That she would prefer the university route though she didn't have any cogent reason for such.

If you don't mind, do you have idea of good federal universities with great admission rate, affordable fees and good pass rate/graduation rates? Also, which university are you attending if it is not much asking?

She is making plans for it and I want to gather as much information I can get as possible for her in order to direct her appropriately.
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by DAramis: 11:02am On Dec 10, 2020
xcelpro:

Let me not say much here, the simple truth is that the Nigeria system does not favour school of nursing graduates, it's bad but that's the system we found ourselves and worst of it all is that the govt don't care as far as it does not concern them

Yeah, thought as much, but all the same, people should not plan to stay in Nigeria forever (especially the unmarried ones).

Since their skills is highly valued in other countries, the person should make plans to relocate after contributing to the Nigerian sector for few years. It is what is obtainable in most lecturers trained abroad by Ptdf or Tetfund fund.

Hopefully, if the person makes money, he or she can contribute towards setting up standard primary health care centers in the various local government as a form of social contribution to the community(my opinion)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by xcelpro: 11:10am On Dec 10, 2020
DAramis:

Thank you for your detailed reply. My younger sister is an aspirant and she made similar remark on not being interested in pursuing her program in nursing school. That she would prefer the university route though she didn't have an cogent reason for such.

If you don't mind, do you have idea of good federal universities with great admission rate, affordable fees and good pass rate/graduation rates? Also, which university are you attending if it is not much asking?

She is making plans for it and I want to gather as much information I can get as possible for her in order to direct her appropriately.

I think Unical matches your above preference
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by DAramis: 12:18pm On Dec 10, 2020
xcelpro:

I think Unical matches your above preference
Okay, thanks.

This will be her first choice then. I will check out the school to get a clear picture of how they run their different academic programmes.
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by Abatemtem(m): 12:26pm On Dec 10, 2020
Most federal schools are good options. Some state schools like LASUCOM are great too but in my opinion, private schools are the best because of the incessant strikes we've been experiencing.

If 180k -200k is not much per session, she should try her shot at University of Ibadan. However, I would suggest to you she registers for A levels. It'll cut her years for the admission process. Currently, there are about two sets on ground that's yet to resume 100 level (UI is still in 2018/2019 session)

DAramis:

Thank you for your detailed reply. My younger sister is an aspirant and she made similar remark on not being interested in pursuing her program in nursing school. That she would prefer the university route though she didn't have any cogent reason for such.

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by DAramis: 5:51pm On Dec 10, 2020
Abatemtem:
Most federal schools are good options. Some state schools like LASUCOM are great too but in my opinion, private schools are the best because of the incessant strikes we've been experiencing.

If 180k -200k is not much per session, she should try her shot at University of Ibadan. However, I would suggest to you she registers for A levels. It'll cut her years for the admission process. Currently, there are about two sets on ground that's yet to resume 100 level (UI is still in 2018/2019 session)

The price you mentioned is definitely much and private school is out of option for her. As for the A-levels, she will use it to gain admission straight right or what?

Thank you for the information so far.
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by Abatemtem(m): 9:43pm On Dec 10, 2020
With the A levels, she will gain admission at the next likely opportunity and into 200 level. It's better than queuing for jamb admission
DAramis:

The price you mentioned is definitely much and private school is out of option for her. As for the A-levels, she will use it to gain admission straight right or what?

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by xcelpro: 9:51pm On Dec 10, 2020
DAramis:

Then she should try unical the fees are a bit moderate and it's one of the best federal school for nursing in south-south

1 Like

Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by DAramis: 4:37am On Dec 11, 2020
xcelpro:

Then she should try unical the fees are a bit moderate and it's one of the best federal school for nursing in south-south
Yeah, noted that done already.

Thank you.
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by DAramis: 4:38am On Dec 11, 2020
Abatemtem:
With the A levels, she will gain admission at the next likely opportunity and into 200 level. It's better than queuing for jamb admission
Okay, I will research on this.

Thank you
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by rant19ade: 2:35pm On Dec 11, 2020
DAramis:

She can try uniben, sch fee from 200l is about 45k per session. It's only in year one she will spend much like close to 200k
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by DAramis: 4:59pm On Dec 11, 2020
rant19ade:

She can try uniben, sch fee from 200l is about 45k per session. It's only in year one she will spend much like close to 200k
Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the 2 University choices she will select is complete. The other options in jamb would also be researched on before subsequent selection.
Re: Which One Is Good Between School Of Nursing Or Going Through University by monkvirus(m): 4:35pm On Feb 02, 2022
LASU also offers BSC Nursing and I thinks the fees are cheap.

(1) (Reply)

Exxonmobil 2016 Internship / Federal Teachers Scheme For NCE Holders / Predicting The Future Of Physiotherapy In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.