Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,347 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Should We Pray For Our Leaders In Nigeria? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Should We Pray For Our Leaders In Nigeria? (763 Views)

Sad At The Airport,pray for me / Let's Pray For Our Leaders And Not Insult Them In 2013 / Between Garri And Our Leaders... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should We Pray For Our Leaders In Nigeria? by dutireyemi(f): 9:09pm On Jun 29, 2007
I have been thinking about this for a very long time now and I do not know if there one other person out there that will agree with me. I think our leaders dont need our prayers because we have been doing this for them even before independence and it seem as if our prayers has been unanswered. While we pray for them they go about plotting evil.

I dont thinks somebody should pray for Nigerian leaders anymore or what do you think?
Re: Should We Pray For Our Leaders In Nigeria? by dutireyemi(f): 9:11pm On Jun 29, 2007
I have been thinking about this for a very long time now and I do not know if there one other person out there that will agree with me. I think our leaders don't need our prayers because we have been doing this for them even before independence and it seems as if our prayers have been unanswered. While we pray for them they go about plotting evil.

I don't think somebody should pray for Nigerian leaders anymore or what do you think?
Re: Should We Pray For Our Leaders In Nigeria? by Paulus(m): 7:42am On Jul 05, 2007
dutireyemi,

I don't know what your religious background is; yet, this may help you.

Let's see what the Word of God says on this:

Luke 18:1-7 declares, “Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said: ‘In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.' For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for His chosen ones, who cry out to Him day and night? Will He keep putting them off?”

Luke 11:5-13 proclaims, “Then he said to them, ‘Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.' Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.' I tell you, though he will not get up and give him the bread because he is his friend, yet because of the man's boldness he will get up and give him as much as he needs. "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!"

Both of these passages encourage us to pray – and to keep praying! There is nothing wrong with repeatedly asking for the same thing. As long as it is within the will of God (1 John 5:14-15), keep asking until God grants your request or removes the desire from your heart. Sometimes God forces us to wait for an answer to our prayers in order to teach us patience and perseverance. Sometimes we are asking for something when it is not yet in God's timing for our lives. Sometimes we are asking for something that is not God's will for us, and He is saying no. Prayer is not only us presenting our requests to God, it is God presenting His will to our hearts. Keep on asking, keep on knocking, keep on seeking – until God grants your requests, or convinces you that your request is not His will for you.

Have a good day.

Paulus
Re: Should We Pray For Our Leaders In Nigeria? by olanajim(m): 12:35am On Jul 15, 2007
I think it is good we pray for them. If not for prayer, Abacha would have probably be alive competing with Robert Mugabe in leadership by force. If not for prayer Obj would have achieved his third term, and you know NLC might still be grumbling about fuel/VAT increase, just as ASUU would have lost a dozen of their members for daring to demand funding for our universities. Prayers, mostly silent prayers from the hungry beggars on lagos and Kano street sustain Naija and keep our leaders from becoming Robert Mugabe, Charler Taylor, Saddam Hussain, Mobutu, and of course Adolf Hitler. We should pray we don't have a George Bush that would drag our soldiers and resource to fight a useless war. We should pray that our leaders may never be our distruction. If we stop praying, however little, then devil would simply establish office in Aso Rock. God help us.
To my pastor, pls include in your prayer that the roforofo fight among the politician continues so we can see much of their dirty deals. Soon the "Mr Fix" would be fixed. Pray for people like Dora, Ribadu, so we can disgrace and dislodge more Amala politician. As for me, I pray you understand wisdom behind prayer.

(1) (Reply)

In Nigeria For 3 Months / Where Is Seun? / The Bini Are Doing It. 2 Year Old Elise Nosegbe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.