Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria (8914 Views)

Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 2:07am On Mar 25, 2011
The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria

by Godwill A. Paul

Exogamy is the term used to denote the body of laws and customs prohibiting marriage between members of the same tribe, clan, village or family. The term ‘exogamy’ is the antonym of endogamy (marriage within a social unit), but the two sets of customs are not mutually exclusive and sometimes supplement each other. Many groups and customs prescribe marriage outside their social units because they believe that endogamy produces and encourages a variety of ill effects and creates tensions between sexual rivalries. An almost universal exogamic prohibition is the ban on incestuous marriages between parents and children or between brothers and sisters.

The practice of exogamy is not, however, limited to marriages between near blood relations; it extends to instances where relationship by blood may be conjectural. In most societies such as the Igbo people of the East and South Eastern parts of Nigeria, people belonging to the same village, whether related by blood or conjectural are not permeated to marry themselves. People must not marry from the same village. It’s an abomination. In some cases, villages that have bloodline linkages are not supposed to marry each other even when they are sparsely dispersed. Endogamy is an abomination among the Igbos and it constitutes incest. In a traditional Igbo community, endogamy is an abomination not only to the people but also to the gods of the land. In the ancient times, couple who commits endogamy is ostracized from the community even when it is committed ignorantly. But in recent times, civilization has bent the rule of the age-long practice.

In recent times, if people are married outside their community unknowingly and later discovers that they belong to the same village; such marriages are dissolved after several rituals of cleansing has been carried out on the offenders. This kind of mistaken marriage often take place among the Igbos living in the urban areas; who may not actually know the history of their roots and origins. It becomes more difficult to handle when the couples in question have had children before discovering. In the ancient times such children were to be sacrificed to the gods but today, different spiritual ways are devised to broker agreement between the children from this abominable marriage and the gods. With the advent of Christianity in Igbo land, things have really changed. The Christian confessions and the perceived forgiveness from God have set the culprits free from the cruel rituals and sacrifices to the gods.

One of the important duties of a typical Igbo family is to educate the members of their family about their lineage and roots. Those living in urban areas or far locations usually organize their village meetings where they get familiarized with their kinsmen. Through these regular gatherings, the risk of getting married to a village relation is drastically reduced if not eliminated. It is also part of the marriage rites among the Igbo people for the parents of both the bride and the groom to conduct searches about each other before the marriage is approved.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 2:37am On Mar 25, 2011
Its a taboo in my village and we usually have our family meeting/party every 2yrs which helps us to know one another. There are some villages that do not inter-marry because of this exogamy. Nice write up
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 3:19am On Mar 25, 2011
High_Chief, where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 7:54am On Mar 25, 2011
It is not universal across Igboland because many communities in Anambra State and Abiriba-Ohafia area marry from the same village and see nothing wrong with that,
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 12:08pm On Mar 25, 2011
In Onitsha,some villages not just forbidden from inter-marrying but also forbidden from marrying from the next village . . .they claimed both villages are sisters.
There are places in Igboland where 2nd cousins are free to marry.

Whatever works for anyone,nku di na Mba na ezuru mba nri. wink
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 2:43pm On Mar 25, 2011
ChinenyeN:

High_Chief, where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Am from Udi in Enugu state
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 2:48pm On Mar 25, 2011
I will say the majority of Igbo clans practice exogamy. From Abia to Enugu, I often hear that you cannot marry someone from your village.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 4:07pm On Mar 25, 2011
High_Chief:

Am from Udi in Enugu state
Cool, a highlander. Are you all part of Waawa or does Udi have its own speech form?
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 4:50pm On Mar 25, 2011
^^^Enugu is generally refered as Waawa, but we have different dialects thou. It seems you are from Ngwa, i have heard a lot about you guys. . lol
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 5:59pm On Mar 25, 2011
High_Chief:

^^^Enugu is generally refered as Waawa, but we have different dialects thou. It seems you are from Ngwa, i have heard a lot about you guys. . lol

grin grin grin
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 11:00pm On Mar 25, 2011
High_Chief:

grin Only heard? Hehh. . Anyway, do you speak Udi or no?
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by HighChief4(m): 5:52pm On Mar 26, 2011
^^^ Yeah, only heard i have not really come across any of them. Yeah I speak Udi
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 5:25am On Mar 27, 2011
High_Chief:

[b]^^^ Yeah, only heard i have not really come across any of them. [/b]Yeah I speak Udi
So, in all your years of life you have never come across an Ngwa before? Do you live in an area with Igbo? Then again though, I'm not sure I should be so surprised.

Well (maybe it's just me, but. . . ) seeing as to how there isn't much to say on this particular topic of exogamy, I think its safe for me to ask you to write in some serious Udi. Dig deep and draw out the most crude, raw, undiluted form of Udi you can remember, and just say some things; anything. If you don't mind, that is.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by udezue(m): 7:42am On Mar 27, 2011
Among the Aro it was quite okay for like 3rd cousins to marry. I am sure most modern day Aros no longer do that.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 10:45am On Mar 27, 2011
udezue:

Among the Aro it was quite okay for like 3rd cousins to marry. I am sure most modern day Aros no longer do that.
And i so disliked that,not that my opinion matter anyway cheesy
It sort of forced me to give my male 2nd and 3rd cousins 10 meters,I no want story,Aro guys are cute and my cousins are no exceptions.LOL
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by EzeUche2(m): 5:24pm On Mar 27, 2011
ifyalways:

And i so disliked that,not that my opinion matter anyway cheesy
It sort of forced me to give my male 2nd and 3rd cousins 10 meters,I no want story,Aro guys are cute and my cousins are no exceptions.LOL

I am sure I am not your cousin. And I am a bonafide Aro man. Come hia biko! wink
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by nweke77(m): 11:53pm On Mar 27, 2011
this is a good custom to have because it keeps you from having birth defects cool
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 12:08am On Mar 28, 2011
You cannot marry from another village, you cannot marry osu, you cannot marry . . ., what's up with all this outdated customs?
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 1:56am On Mar 28, 2011
Ndipe:

You cannot marry from another village, you cannot marry osu, you cannot marry . . ., what's up with all this outdated customs?

It is the rules of many of our clans. I actually support exogamy, because it keeps our gene pool diverse. When we marry those who are not part of our communities, we are able to strengthen our people, by adding new genes into the community.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 6:53pm On Mar 28, 2011
Ndipe:

Rules are meant to be broken.
No one lives and wakes by the customs and traditions anymore.
EzeUche_:

I am sure I am not your cousin. And I am a bonafide Aro man. Come hia biko! wink
Ga chere m na nke stormy acha. wink
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 9:46pm On Mar 28, 2011
ifyalways:

Rules are meant to be broken.
[b]No one lives and wakes by the customs and traditions anymore.[/b]Ga chere m na nke stormy achawink

Some 'free born' Ibos still adhere to the outdated customs that they should not marry an osu.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by AndreUweh(m): 11:22pm On Mar 28, 2011
Ndipe:

Some 'free born' Ibos still adhere to the outdated customs that they should not marry an osu.
This your brainless post is very irrelevant to the thread.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 1:03am On Mar 29, 2011
Andre Uweh:

This your brainless post is very irrelevant to the thread.

Why attack the truth?
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 1:14am On Mar 29, 2011
Ndipe, to be honest, considering the topic and context of this entire situation, I believe your posts make it easy for you to be accused of coming here just to look for trouble, if nothing else. Consider that.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 1:40am On Mar 29, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Ndipe, to be honest, considering the topic and context of this entire situation, I believe your posts make it easy for you to be accused of coming here just to look for trouble, if nothing else. Consider that.No one lives and wakes by the customs and traditions anymore

No I wasnt looking for any trouble. The topic is about rules and regulations of Ibo tradition that bars people from certain villages from marrying from certain villages. Andre Uweh's response is "No one lives and wakes by the customs and traditions anymore . . . " which, in my interpretation means that people have abandoned outdated customs in favor of true love. And my rebuttal is that the osu culture still acts as a barrier to true love, because even in today's world, some educated people would not marry an osu due to tradition. How did I err? Please tell me.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 3:01am On Mar 29, 2011
grin True Love. Please o. Anyway, I'm just saying, you jumping off about Osu this (in particular), true love that, 'outdated these and those', just because of a topic of exogamy (not marrying/mating with 'family'), is simply doing too much (you're stretching it). The topic of exogamy is rather detached from the other issues you raised; or should I say, much more detached than is related. Just my interpretation. I wouldn't entertain your questions, unless of course you opened up another topic, but then again, the topic of osu (which I suspect is what your questions will eventually lead to) has already been overly discussed time upon time, upon times, and it's almost insulting to revisit it, especially under a topic that is about mating with/marrying non-relations. Just saying.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 4:16am On Mar 29, 2011
ChinenyeN:

grin True Love. Please o. Anyway, I'm just saying, you jumping off about Osu this (in particular), true love that, 'outdated these and those', just because of a topic of exogamy (not marrying/mating with 'family'), is simply doing too much (you're stretching it). The topic of exogamy is rather detached from the other issues you raised; or should I say, much more detached than is related. Just my interpretation. I wouldn't entertain your questions, unless of course you opened up another topic, but then again, the topic of osu (which I suspect is what your questions will eventually lead to) has already been overly discussed time upon time, upon times, and it's almost insulting to revisit it, especially under a topic that is about mating with/marrying non-relations. Just saying.

And were humans supposed to marry their relatives? Topic, like you said, is about marrying non-relatives, and I pointed out that sometimes, an educated person would not marry an osu, because of tradition. Why do you consider it insulting? For bringing up the truth, which is relevant to the topic? No, blame those who still practise this discrimination and yet are quick to cry wolf over discrimination by other tribes against them. Isnt that something?
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 5:48am On Mar 29, 2011
Like I said, you're simply stretching it. Exogamy and Osu are not mutually inclusive. So it's 'relevancy' is rather debatable. Anyway, I'm not here for an overly unnecessary cultural debate. I'm just waiting around for High Chief to respond, and I thought I'd just make a passing comment on your presence in this thread, context, content, and topic considered. By the way, I meant to write 'disgusting' and not 'insulting', my mistake.

I'm still dying over your 'true love' comment though. Do you seriously believe in such? (just a simple question, not meant to generate into some extensive, highly unnecessary, BS, 21st-century-yadayada debate)
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by Thirst4Lif: 5:28pm On Mar 29, 2011
As the author stated, the rule is there for a very good and valid reason.

Marrying relatives can greatly be the cause of mental disabilities.

The blood is simply to 'close.' Good someone was wise enough to

outlaw this practice.
Re: The Practice Of Exogamy And The Igbo People Of Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 5:51pm On Mar 29, 2011
Thirst4Lif:

As the author stated, the rule is there for a very good and valid reason.

Marrying relatives can greatly be the cause of mental disabilities.

[b]The blood is simply to 'close.' [/b]Good someone was wise enough to

outlaw this practice.
LOL
Is this a result of a research or just a random statement undecided

(1) (Reply)

Culture Where People Walk Half-Unclad Still Exist In Nigeria Of 21st Century / Is Arochukwu The Origin Of The Igbos? / The New Oba Of Benin In His Freemason Regalia.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.