Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? (692 Views)

Why Does Nigeria Currency Have An Arabic Symbol? / IMP Has Produced The Largest Number Of Skilled Workers In Oil And Gas - Rector / Universities In Nigeria Have Been Released Its Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Sebastine1994(m): 2:40pm On Dec 15, 2020
i have a friend who is a painter, artist, photographer, tiler combined together, but he can hardly find job sometimes, he is skilled but have an empty pocket. bet9ja is his hope for making it big for now.

sometimes clients end a contract suddenly, only to give it to some of his relative. sometimes they use charm on themselves.

I have looked around and seen similar thing in most artisan in Nigeria, 10 percent of the workers control 80% of the industry. they are the big boss with big network, they have several boys under them.

when I take my car to mechanic village, I see an oversupply of skill. everybody wants to repair my car, I see the same in GSM village, over supply of skilled technician.

because of this over supply, the industry is making it hard for new entrant into their system. they use high entrance fee and other gimmick. even on nairaland I see the trend continues, we have an over supply of graphic designer and artist, and website designers all peddling their service online.

in the street where I live, hundreds of advert liter the fences of resident, each one advertising something or selling a skill for example plumber call 090.....7. tailors in my area alone outnumbered clients.

my point is this; do we have an oversupply of skilled technician, and yet some people are still encouraging their kids to take up skill in an oversaturated industry.

we need a new type of technical education, and not this one they are selling to us, I believe the type the Chinese got. and the Americans

Mynd44, lalasticlala, seun Dominique

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Sebastine1994(m): 2:43pm On Dec 15, 2020
The average Nigerian lacks the common sense to understand the way the economy works

if you like learn all the skills in the world as long as the Nigerian economy is not promoting new businesses or startups no skill can save your business from crumbling.

Without favorable government policies there is no skill you can learn to move forward.

what we should be asking is what can we do to improve the standard of education in Nigeria so that the courses that people study can have an impact

the poor man teaches his children to study in universities so that they can get a certificate and then get a job and live a comfortable life

We don't go to school just to study and get the certificate.

we go there so that we can learn a course and then use what we have learnt to improve the economy that is why school was created

so if you guys keep running around learning skills how will the economy improve when the people that are supposed to get the intelligent ideas to change things are shying away from scoring high points in school.

if you think enterpreneurship will save Nigeria then you have learnt nothing from 2014 with all their enterpreneurship programs when recession came you saw how many people committed suicide. you all have come together and start bringing the solutions ourselves.

we can't expect the government to do anything impressive when we made the wrong decision by voting the wrong people.

You can never expect a goat to act like a lion, lead like a lion and protect like lion because it a goat is a goat.

so when you bought the wrong leaders you can never expect them to improve the economy and lead like great leaders when you keep collecting bribes to vote the wrong people.. you can never expect them to act in the right way.

right now we have to come together and start looking for ways to improve the economy and improve the educational system because no skill you learn today will not be affected by the economy.

whatever skill you learn the dollar to naira rate will increase, the price of your goods make buying things unfavorable and many more things that you don't want experience.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by akande115: 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2020
I agree with your school of thought.
Unless the intellectual capacity (quality of education) of the country improve, we can say no skill will really help the populace.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by meobizy(f): 4:46pm On Dec 15, 2020
sometimes they use charm on themselves.
This is one thing I will never understand. Why will I use juju to secure a job where I have to sweat under the sun and overextend my joints for hours on end? I would rather do so for a high paying office job carried out under the newest of air conditioners.

Many of these artisans don’t improve themselves. They are comfortable eking a living with the most basic of skills in a field. Any suggestion of expanding their field of scope is looked at with scorn and disregard. I’m sure if one checks that your friend’s level of knowledge in those skills, it is basic at best. I work with men who’ve held careers for almost thirty years with only three salary increments. If I worked in a corporate field I would receive promotions every three years thereabout with accompanied increases in salary. How can employers take someone serious if s/he doesn’t take welfare serious to begin with?

2 Likes

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:55pm On Dec 15, 2020
This is very true. I really laugh very hard when I see people all shouting skills skills. Masa you can have all the skills in Nigeria and still be unemployed and even if you get employed your salary won't be up to 50k. We don't respect artisans. I remember when I was learning to fix cars. The workshop I was learning from had a lot of big cars from a lot of big men. Sometimes repair invoices on some cars could run into millions due to the markup on parts but yet the pay there was 25000. Imagine earning 25000 per month as a Mercedes Benz mechanic. You resume work at 8 and work till 6. Anyone who is familiar with mercedes knows how insanely difficult they are to fix. Removing one component can take hours upon hours whereas the same thing might take a few minutes in a Toyota. Imagine doing this everyday. Standing under hot weather for a paltry 25000 with no food or any water. Another thing to note is that a lot of big men clients are gotten through connections. My boss then used to attend a lot of high-level parties only big men were invited for. A dude at Lekki isn't gonna just hand over his S class for you to change his brake pads but that's where the money is made.

The latest skill is coding or programming. The only advantage programmers have over any other skill is the ability to work for companies abroad and freelance. Earning foreign currency while living in Nigeria is sexy. If it was impossible for programmers to work abroad it would have been the same shit too. I have been offered 25000 salary in an interview. I started laughing at the interviewer. Yesterday someone in a programming Facebook group got offered 15000 salary. There's also the the fact that programmers could do a lot of other things to make money which are always hidden from programmers. Weird right.

Anyway skill acquisition won't save Nigeria. The government has to take tangible steps to really grow the economy and drive foreign investment. Let businesses breath, open the fucking borders. Build up the roads to the ports and make sure all ports are open and operating to maximum efficiency. Trade is what begets wealth but unfortunately the dullards ruling Nigeria seem to be oblivious of this fact.

Gerrard59 see this.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Gerrard59(m): 8:07pm On Dec 15, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
This is very true. I really laugh very hard when I see people all shouting skills skills. Masa you can have all the skills in Nigeria and still be unemployed and even if you get employed your salary won't be up to 50k. We don't respect artisans. I remember when I was learning to fix cars. The workshop I was learning from had a lot of big cars from a lot of big men. Sometimes repair invoices on some cars could run into millions due to the markup on parts but yet the pay there was 25000. Imagine earning 25000 per month as a Mercedes Benz mechanic. You resume work at 8 and work till 6. Anyone who is familiar with mercedes knows how insanely difficult they are to fix. Removing one component can take hours upon hours whereas the same thing might take a few minutes in a Toyota. Imagine doing this everyday. Standing under hot weather for a paltry 25000 with no food or any water.

The latest skill is coding or programming. The only advantage programmers have over any other skill is the ability to work for companies abroad and freelance. Earning foreign currency while living in Nigeria is sexy. If it was impossible for programmers to work abroad it would have been the same shit too. I have been offered 25000 salary in an interview. I started laughing at the interviewer. Yesterday someone in a programming Facebook group got offered 15000 salary. There's also the the fact that programmers could do a lot of other things to make money which are always hidden from programmers. Weird right.

Anyway skill acquisition won't save Nigeria. The government has to take tangible steps to really grow the economy and drive foreign investment. Let businesses breath, open the fucking borders. Build up the roads to the ports and make sure all ports are open and operating to maximum efficiency. Trade is what begets wealth but unfortunately the dullards ruling Nigeria seem to be oblivious of this fact.

Gerrard see this.

These issues are multifaceted: anaemic economic growth, fast rising population, dysfunctional political system, poor education etc. But key aspects are anaemic economic growth and partly high population. The Nigerian economy has not grown past 4% (pre-Covid-19) within the past five years but has seen population growth edge past 4% within the same period. We have gazillions of people indulging in "skills" (barbing, hair styling, mechanic, plumber, carpentry, baking, bead making and a whole lot of OKOTO MEOW skills people moan about these days). Countries which largely ignorant Nigerians like mentioning: Germany, Japan, Switzerland, China etc., what they forget is that those countries prize economic growth over indoctrinating their youths into acquiring skills and whatnot. Countries like Brazil, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand etc., don't prize acquisition of skills over economic growth because at the end of the day, if the economy is not growing, very few people will require the services of these "skilled" people at reasonable wages because hey, they economy is not growing.

I recalled when the Singaporean government prized reskilling (trying to help her citizens to possess better and high paying skills relevant to the global economy not barbing and sewing), she never took her eye off ensuring the economy grows so as to have these reskilled people earn better when people patronise their services. But no! Ignorant Nigerians believe by taking their children to technical schools to learn mechanic, the mechanic will service cars of citizens of the poorest country yet earn well to live a relatively comfortable life. Tomorrow, their minions in the political space (Kingsley Moghalu and Co) will mention Germany where mechanics are highly paid hourly for their services but will not mention the economic diversification, growth, policies, initiatives, infrastructure put in place by the German government to ensure its possibility of mechanics being highly paid. Nigerians have simply abdicated the responsibility of ensuring good economic policies are implemented to themselves instead of the leaders/politicians. Then again, Nigerians deserve the politicians they get, no pity whatsoever.

There is an urgent need to diversify the economy beyond crude oil (not pick your hoes and cutlass diversification - goodluck competing with the likes of Brazil, Netherlands and Australia for customers). So-called generator repairers, plumbers, hair stylists, motor repairers etc., are remunerated poorly because of the prevailing economic situation in the country but ignorant Nigerians think otherwise. Like this one:

Vecto:
People who look down at handwork are always people who haven't tested their skills on the labour market, hence they are still having a form of unrealistic fantasies about life.
Every salary earner, no matter the pay or level envies people who make money daily and varyingly, not having to wait till the end of the month to execute financial decisions.

— Lezz

The other aspect is high birth rates but then, birth rates are linked to economic growth. Should the economy grow consistently at 10%, birth rates will fall because people will be employed and start using their discretionary income for other things while having less time to breed like rabbits. Also, the power of religion will subside a little because of this new found wealth. However, the economy is not growing even at 5% yet people keep breeding like rabbits which results into having so many people chasing few jobs/contracts.

At the end of the day, economic growth is very important; Nigerians will learn it the hard way and I am happy for that, that is if they learn.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by edoairways: 8:32pm On Dec 15, 2020
Gerrard59:

These issues are multifaceted: anaemic economic growth, fast rising population, dysfunctional political system, poor education etc. But key aspects are anaemic economic growth and partly high population. The Nigerian economy has not grown past 4% (pre-Covid-19) within the past five years but has seen population growth edge past 4% within the same period. We have gazillions of people indulging in "skills" (barbing, hair styling, mechanic, plumber, carpentry, baking, bead making and a whole lot of OKOTO MEOW skills people moan about these days). Countries which largely ignorant Nigerians like mentioning: Germany, Japan, Switzerland, China etc., what they forget is that those countries prize economic growth over indoctrinating their youths into acquiring skills and whatnot. Countries like Brazil, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand etc., don't prize acquisition of skills over economic growth because at the end of the day, if the economy is not growing, very few people will require the services of these "skilled" people at reasonable wages because hey, they economy is not growing.

I recalled when the Singaporean government prized reskilling (trying to help her citizens to possess better and high paying skills relevant to the global economy not barbing and sewing), she never took her eye off ensuring the economy grows so as to have these reskilled people earn better when people patronise their services. But no! Ignorant Nigerians believe by taking their children to technical schools to learn mechanic, the mechanic will service cars of citizens of the poorest country yet earn well to live a relatively comfortable life. Tomorrow, their minions in the political space (Kingsley Moghalu and Co) will mention Germany where mechanics are highly paid hourly for their services but will not mention the economic diversification, growth, policies, initiatives, infrastructure put in place by the German government to ensure its possibility of mechanics being highly paid. Nigerians have simply abdicated the responsibility of ensuring good economic policies are implemented to themselves instead of the leaders/politicians. Then again, Nigerians deserve the politicians they get, no pity whatsoever.

There is an urgent need to diversify the economy beyond crude oil (not pick your hoes and cutlass diversification - goodluck competing with the likes of Brazil, Netherlands and Australia for customers). So-called generator repairers, plumbers, hair stylists, motor repairers etc., are remunerated poorly because of the prevailing economic situation in the country but ignorant Nigerians think otherwise. Like this one:

The other aspect is high birth rates but then, birth rates are linked to economic growth. Should the economy grow consistently at 10%, birth rates will fall because people will be employed and start using their discretionary income for other things while having less time to breed like rabbits. Also, the power of religion will subside a little because of this new found wealth. However, the economy is not growing even at 5% yet people keep breeding like rabbits which results into having so much people chasing few jobs/contracts.

At the end of the day, economic growth is very important; Nigerians will learn it the hard way and I am happy for that, that is if they learn.
What a brilliant presentation

1 Like

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:48pm On Dec 15, 2020
This is a front page post. Lalasticala
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Vexedkid(m): 11:12pm On Dec 15, 2020
Everything is on standstill in this country. it's so fvking depressing what a man is made to go through every fvckin' day men. I pray for a better day.

1 Like

Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:13am On Dec 16, 2020
Vexedkid:
Everything is on standstill in this country. it's so fvking depressing what a man is made to go through every fvckin' day men. I pray for a better day.
It won't get better.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Fheelzz(m): 8:44am On Dec 16, 2020
Nice point Op
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by haybhi1(m): 3:06am On Dec 17, 2020
There is a line here that is still very much obscured, planning and concrete strategy is what will change this.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Gerrard59(m): 7:29am On Dec 17, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

It won't get better.

grin

Such an irredeemable pessimist.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Ademat7(m): 2:03pm On Jan 10, 2021
Great insight
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:40am On May 16, 2021
Seun
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

Please post this on front page.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:21am On May 17, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
Seun
Lalasticlala
Mynd44

Please post this on front page.
Yeah this would have really made sense there.
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by edoairways: 12:15pm On May 17, 2021
Lalasticala can you please do justice to this?
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Regex: 12:43pm On May 17, 2021
Make I hear say this thread go front page.

Why will it sef... Is it Celebrity news?
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by edoairways: 3:15pm On May 17, 2021
Lalasticala can you prove Regex wrong or otherwise
Re: Does Nigeria Have An Oversupply Of Skilled Technician? by Uyi168: 3:41pm On May 17, 2021
..i don't know why this post is not on FP yet..

(1) (Reply)

Bingham University, Good Or Bad Idea?? / Origins Of Bread And Bakery / College Relief Fund Scholarship 2022 (5 Days To Go) - Apply Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.