Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,601 members, 7,816,492 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help (6499 Views)

Clean Tokunbo 2002 Liberty Jeep Sport For Sale / 2002 Liberty Jeep ( Reg Last Month ) / 2002 Liberty Jeep For Urgent Sale. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by bros856: 12:56am On Mar 26, 2011
i bought 2002 liberty jeep after 2 months engine and brain box blown off by mechanic, after replacement of engine and the brain box no mechanic up till now can start the car. its over 8 months with over 5 mechanic non is successful. if there is anybody that can start this car in nigeria, i will pay an outregous amount for it instead of lossing it. nairalanders please help locate the right person thanks.
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by Treble: 3:14am On Mar 26, 2011
There is a programme on Radio Continental 102.3 FM Lagos called Automedics, i think it runs all weekdays in the morning 8.30 - 9pm. Try and get in touch with those people (Kunle Soniake and Ben), they know what they are doing.
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by KunleA2(m): 6:06am On Mar 26, 2011
bros856:

i bought 2002 liberty jeep after 2 months engine and brain box blown off by mechanic, after replacement of engine and the brain box no mechanic up till now can start the car. its over 8 months with over 5 mechanic non is successful. if there is anybody that can start this car in nigeria, i will pay an outregous amount for it instead of lossing it. nairalanders please help locate the right person thanks.

Let me start by telling you that I AM NOT A MECHANIC! However, i have a similar problem with this vehicle when someone called me for help that i helped out. As far as the Jeep Liberty is concerned, before you can start the car, the brainbox, key and key module has to be programmed the same.

Since there is no one to get this programmed in Nigeria, i suggest that you get a complete brainbox, key and key module from another car. THEY ALL HAVE TO COME FROM SAME CAR THAT IS RUNNING BEFORE REMOVAL!!!! That will guarantee that they work together. its fine to get a used one

I am presently on a working vacation in Nigeria  (located in Ogun State) and you are more than welcome to give me a call if you have any question(s)  0705-477-3686

Happy Motoring
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by sultaan(m): 4:02pm On Mar 26, 2011
I'll hate to tell you its pretty ugly to change PCM on a jeep.

apart from you using the right PCM(check if there is a part#on the old one), your key has to be OEM type(not cut) with transponder mated to it.

I don't know how your engine and PCM will blow but messing with both of these without mixing up the wiring is not uncommon so you should answer some questions. All harness he took off the old engine has to go on new engine, no splicing shortcut

Does the car start but won't stay running?
Are you sure your old PCM is dead? PCMs and engines don't die easy, naija mechs keep screwing people up; hope you saved it.
Did you get engine and PCM from same year and donor?
Turn your key from off to II(acc) 3 times and on third turn to II see if any code come up.

The only thing I know that will diagnose that jeep easily(also used to program keys) is a a DRB III scan tool(~$3000 used)
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by aauto: 5:32pm On Mar 26, 2011
@OP, sorry about the problems with your vehicle, 8 months is a long time to wait but a solution has arrived , am currently out of lagos setting up our centre in Kano, I will be back in exactly 2 weeks, believe me I must start that vehicle even with the used ECM and SKIM Module. please drop your number so i can give u a call or send a mail to info@adeizaautos.com

@Kunle, nawa o, why you right naija off like that na? anyway for your information we can do this vehicle and we have done quite a few of them in lagos and other states.

I will keep you posted when am done with bros586.

Thank you
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by bros856: 5:03am On Mar 29, 2011
@kunle thanks i will call soon.

@aauto i hope its not just a boost because quiet a number of mechanics have come sound same, raise my heart 2 joy but i end up wasting money no success. i am waiting 4 u. this is my number 08066609382. 

The car kicks sounds as if its about 2 start but fail's immediately u stop kicks.
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by aauto: 7:55am On Mar 30, 2011
I understand the problem with your vehicle. I will give you call
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by jpworld(m): 2:59pm On May 27, 2011
Is there any success story? from this poster, cause 1 of my friend have a similar problem.
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by cardoctor(m): 8:52pm On Dec 23, 2011
We are a dedicated team of vehicle repair professionals with a reputation for their quality of service and professional, friendly approach. As locally owned car repair garage with a branch in the UK, we are committed to offering a balanced, personalised car repair and servicing solutions to the residents of Abuja and the surrounding areas. Over the years we have developed relationships based on superior auto repair service, trust and honest business ethics.

HERE IS SOME INFO ON "BRAIN BOXES"

"Brain boxes" (ECUs), wether for the transmission or engine, are made up of very delicate electronic components. These include diodes, capacitors, resistors, EP ROMs etc. Static electricity, extreme temperatures, magnetic fields or shock could easily damage these components hence manufacturers house them in protective boxes in order to ensure their safety and integrity. Other causes of damage could also be from short circuiting or power surge or flooding. This is one of the most popular causes for ECU damage here in Nigeria.

Most mechanics or car owners are not able to simply identify the negative and positive terminals on a battery and would proceed to put on the terminal leads on the wrong terminal of the battery heads. Wrong polarisation of the battery terminals could result in serious damage to the ECU that could adversely affect the operations of the engine or transmission.

On certain modern cars, the seemingly simple act of replacing a battery or jump starting from another car without following the instructions on the right procedure could result in a catastrophic failure of the ECU.

Mechanics and "rewires" seem to derive so much joy, probably as a show of talent, in using conductive materials, from wires to even spanners to bridge the terminals of a car battery, letting off sparks in order to ascertain battery strenght. WRONG. VERY WRONG.

If this is done with the terminals connected to the car, then be very sure that you will be heading for the gallows with that car.

With this result, the car may develop all kinds of operational problems. Eventually, when all attempts fail in rectifying the anomaly, the suggestion to have the ECU replaced now comes up.

Sometimes, this may be rectified by simply flashing the ECU (if you have the device to do so), repairing or outright replacement if the ECU has been badly fried.
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by PATOPROP(m): 7:53pm On Feb 16, 2012
Hello my brother,
I was going through some post on nairaland.com when I came across your post.
Almost about a year ago, you posted that you had a 2002 Liberty Jeep which some Nigerian mechanic/ rewire messed up.

I am presently experiencing the same dilemma at the moment. Just about 3 days ago, I took my 2003 Liberty Jeep to my rewire because the A/C fan was not rolling. In the process of doing their normal trial and error, the Jeep refused to start again. Initially, they said the problem is with the brain box. He took the brainbox to Ladipo and he said the experts there confirmed that the brainbox was okay. When I got there this evening, he said their overall and superior rewire confirmed that the problem is with the sensor, and that he will go back to Ladipo on Saturday to get the sensor.

I have a strong feeling that they don't have a clue about what happened to my jeep - they are just doing trial and error. Since you have had similar experience, I will appreciate how you went about it. I have tried severally to reach you through your phone - 08066609382- but it has not been going.

I will appreciate a prompt response before they do further damage to my jeep.

Thank you.

Patrick
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by bros856: 1:38am On Feb 17, 2012
I have a local mechnic that fix my liberty and i can be sure he going to fix your car with ease. The reason why my number has not gone through is because am offshore at work. Please try the number again on 18th Feb 2012, i will pick your call because i will be home by then. Sorry about that. i will introduce you to the guy, he is really good.
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by erico2k2(m): 12:35pm On Aug 18, 2013
so has anyone here had their car fixed
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by erico2k2(m): 12:41pm On Aug 18, 2013
And also if an Ecu is able to through codes ie,when scanned does this mean it working or fried?mine is coming up with various codes had changed both cam and cank shaft sensors I bought both from USA still car cranks but won't start,now on scanning it these codes comes up P0031,P0051',p1495, p0136, so if this ECM is bringing up all these codes is it working still or there is the possibility of it being faulty?

NB: NB car is in PH
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by iukpe: 5:41pm On Apr 21, 2015
Is this thread still alive? I am currently experiencing a second liberty ecu problem, all from 02 liberty. I have the first one ecu completely replaced with a new blank key that eventually cut to a copy of the ignition key. Everything works pretty well now. Symptomps are likely if your experiencing engine rev or smooth running problems and you confirm its not from nozzles, plugs or coil pack, sensors, then you likely need to check or replace ecu for your liberty.
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by iukpe: 5:45pm On Apr 21, 2015
Inside a damaged ecu

Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by iukpe: 5:47pm On Apr 21, 2015
bros856:

Can you update today how this problem was solved? Thanks.
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by erico2k2(m): 8:13pm On Aug 14, 2015
iukpe:
Is this thread still alive? I am currently experiencing a second liberty ecu problem, all from 02 liberty. I have the first one ecu completely replaced with a new blank key that eventually cut to a copy of the ignition key. Everything works pretty well now. Symptomps are likely if your experiencing engine rev or smooth running problems and you confirm its not from nozzles, plugs or coil pack, sensors, then you likely need to check or replace ecu for your liberty.
Well where did you have to cut your Key? I have just one key on mine still, I would like to see where I can cut a blank, I fixed my ECU,had to get one from the US
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by erico2k2(m): 2:17pm On Feb 14, 2016
erico2k2:

Well where did you have to cut your Key? I have just one key on mine still, I would like to see where I can cut a blank, I fixed my ECU,had to get one from the US
Anyone still on this page??/
Re: 2002 Liberty Jeep Problem, Brain Box & Engine Replace Car Refuse To Start. Help by iukpe: 11:22am On Jun 13, 2021
erico2k2:

Anyone still on this page??/
After many years someone is still on this thread.

(1) (Reply)

Unregister 2009 Mercedes Benz C-class C300 For Sale In Lagos....call 08028978903 / Very Perfect Volvo S60 700k Slightly Negotiable price reduced / Range Rover Sports 2009 HSE Fulloption Toks.. 5.3m Price Reduction!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.