Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why (39626 Views)

Meet Rare White Lion With Gorgeous Hairstyle (Pictures) / This Extremely Rare Bird Is Half Male, Half Female (Pictures) / Blood Moon! Total Lunar Eclipse To Appear Tomorrow And Will Be Longest Blood Moo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 16, 2020

Rare 'Christmas Star' to be visible from Earth for the first time in 800 years

Rare 'Christmas Star' to be visible from Earth for the first time in 800 years. Jupiter and Saturn will appear to merge and create a single bright point in the cosmos on December 21, which happens to be the winter solstice, the longest night of the year

A "Christmas star" will be visible in the night sky for the first time in 800 years this month.

Jupiter and Saturn will appear to merge and create a single bright point in the cosmos which can be seen from Earth on December 21.

The gas giants will be just 0.1 degree apart in our home planet's sky, allowing telescopes to pick up on both in the same field of view.

The last time the solar system's two largest planets had such a close encounter was back in 1623, but astronomers believe it was likely not visible at the time due to the position of the sun.

In fact it was centuries earlier in 1226 that the "Great Conjunction" was last able to be seen with the naked eye.

The conjunction between the two planets happens every 20 years, but atmospheric conditions and the position of other heavenly bodies often interfere with our ability to watch it.

Jupiter and Saturn were too close to the sky to be easily observed from Earth last time it happened, which was back in 2000.

The Great Conjunction of 2020 will coincidentally take place on the winter solstice, the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere.

Stargazers are praying for clear skies as they train their eyes and telescopes on the southwestern sky at sunset.

NASA said Jupiter and Saturn have "gradually moved closer to each other" in the last few months and will be just a "fifth of a full moon apart" at their closest point.

"Keep in mind that while the two gas giants may appear close, in reality they are hundreds of millions of miles apart," NASA said.

"This will be quite a striking sight, but you will need to look fast as both planets will set shortly after sunset.

"Look above the western horizon after sunset for these bright, close planets - a clear view will help!"

Weather permitting, the huge planets will appear to inch closer to one another from December 17, when they'll be joined by a crescent moon.

Source: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/rare-christmas-star-visible-earth-23167535

8 Likes

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by starbuck(f): 8:42pm On Dec 16, 2020
I will implore us all to make a wish on sighting it on D-day, our intentions would manifest, the universe never lies

170 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Karlifate: 8:49pm On Dec 16, 2020
Cc: lekki1444

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by lekki1444: 8:52pm On Dec 16, 2020
Karlifate:
Cc: lekki1444
yeah i am lookiing forward to this day. its also the day of winter solstice officially signifying the end of an era and the start of another. the first will be last and the last will be first. watch as america starts crumbling and disintegrating fast after this day is passed, then you will see the emergence of super intelligent beings with spiritual powers. Christ like beings

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by DenreleDave(m): 9:03pm On Dec 16, 2020
Ok
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by NwaAmaikpe: 9:44pm On Dec 16, 2020
shocked

Anybody whose star has been stolen by village people should come out that night and claim this star.

I will too...because one prophetess told me my star was stolen that night I slept with Alfa Mujaheed's new wife.

155 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by mariahAngel(f): 9:46pm On Dec 16, 2020
starbuck:
I will implore us all to make a wish on sighting it on D-day, our intentions would manifest, the universe never lies

Thought or spoken? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by joxxy01(m): 9:47pm On Dec 16, 2020
Waw.. Look forward to seeing it
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Nobody: 9:52pm On Dec 16, 2020
The only star I care about is the one I’ll see when I leave Nigeria.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Dottore: 9:52pm On Dec 16, 2020
Ok
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by globalresource: 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2020
I can't wait

1 Like

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by tesppidd: 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2020
Well let's wait and see.
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Uprightness100(m): 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2020
Christmas is all about the Celebration of JESUS!

The Signs in the Sky, sun, moon are all pointing towards the Soon Return of JESUS Christ..
As you Celebrate Christmas, Ensure you sort yourself out with JESUS Christ!

Listen Folks! The Coming of JESUS is HERE!
The Rapture is Upon us!
Don't allow any man, woman or thing be a stumbling block!

If you Miss Heaven!
You Cannot Miss Hell!

If you Miss Heaven! You Must Cry!

46 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by money121(m): 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2020
Ok
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Netanya(f): 9:53pm On Dec 16, 2020
December 21 ...... okay , got it !

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by OilQween: 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by GRACEGLORY: 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
It's been a rare year after all, so it deserves a rare star. grin

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by shamsin6300(m): 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
800years ko 80 hours ni
How did they even come up with this figure?

4 Likes

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by etrange: 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
lekki1444:
yeah i am lookiing forward to this day. its also the day of winter solstice officially signifying the end of an era and the start of another. the first will be last and the last will be first. watch as america starts crumbling and disintegrating fast after this day is passed, then you will see the emergence of super intelligent beings with spiritual powers. Christ like beings

Yes, and Nigeria will become the world power. And humans will be able to travel to the past/future. And fishes will start walking on land and start taking over our jobs. And then Samurai Jack will step in alongside Power Puff Girls to fight the king of fishes...

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Helpfromabove1(m): 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
Ok interesting

1 Like

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Ihatemumu: 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
The true peaceful religion

4 Likes

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by TreasureTayo(m): 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
Hmmnnnn
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by BF69BF: 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2020
Is there still anything rare inside this 2020?
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by 9jayes: 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2020
money121:
Ok
I see
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by lathrowinger: 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2020
And what should we do...

2 Likes

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by offset67(m): 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2020
how is this going to solve my problem

2 Likes

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by donproject2(m): 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2020
Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Marvieduke(f): 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2020
Awon science student ti ori won o pe.

3 Likes

Re: Rare Christmas Star Will Appear This Festive Season. Here Is Why by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 16, 2020
O yeah?

I pray it brings good tidings to us all and washes away the post pandemic effect on the land.

Lord Jesus, truly you are alive.

25 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See The Lizard With Funny Tail I Saw Close To My Lab, Today. / Hassan & Hussaini Muhammad Nawad Design Cooking Stove That Uses Water, Petrol / Cosmic Ray Rumours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.