Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,499 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:14 PM

This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games (3872 Views)

I Bet You Don’t Know Your Phone Has This 6 Amazing Features / Can You Buy This Phone For #756,000 On Jumia / Gearbest 11.11 Promotion, Mobile Phone As Low As $16.99 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Palmerbarry: 11:18am On Dec 17, 2020
A six-year old child living in Wilton Connecticut by the
name of George Johnson is in some hot water with his
parents. During this past summer, Johnson quietly
amassed more than $16,000 in charges at the Apple
App Store for his favorite video game "Sonic Force."
George's mom Jessica, working as a real estate broker
out of her home, had no idea that her youngest son
was spending all of that money via her iPad. The story
was published on Sunday by the New York Post.

During July, George was buying add-on boosters
starting at $1.99 for red rings and $99.99 for gold
rings. These gave his character more speed and other
special advantages. His purchases were amounting to
hundreds of dollars at a time. On one occasion in July,
when her son was ringing up 25 charges adding up to
$2,500, Jessica was in the very next room unaware
that her son was using her money to pay for in-app
purchases. She did notice amounts like $601 and $562
disappearing from her Chase account, but she chalked
it up to fraud or a mistake and when she called the
bank to get to the bottom of the matter, she was
confused because the charges were not itemized. "The
way the charges get bundled made it almost impossible
[to figure out that] they were from a game," Jessica
said. The mother of the first grader said, "It’s like my
6-year-old was doing lines of cocaine — and doing
bigger and bigger hits."

Even when the total amount of money missing hit
$16,293.10 (N6,195,413), Mrs. Johnson still had no idea that her son
was responsible for the purloined funds. In October,
Chase told her that the charges were legitimate and
that she needed to contact Apple. When she got in
touch with Apple, they walked her through all of the
charges. When she saw the Sonic icon in the list, she
finally realized that George was the culprit.

She admitted she hadn’t put preventive settings on her
account, because she didn’t know about them.
“Obviously, if I had known there was a setting for that, I
wouldn’t have allowed my 6-year-old to run up nearly
$20,000 in charges for virtual gold rings,” said Jessica,
whose husband cares for the kids full-time.
“These games are designed to be completely predatory
and get kids to buy things. What grown-up would
spend $100 on a chest of virtual gold coins?”

“[Apple] said, ‘Tough.’ They told me that, because I
didn’t call within 60 days of the charges, that they
can’t do anything,” said Jessica. “The reason I didn’t
call within 60 days is because Chase told me it was
likely fraud — that PayPal and Apple.com are top fraud
charges.”

When Jessica explained to her son what he had done,
he promised to pay her back indicating that at his age,
the concept of money remains foreign to him. She had
to tell George that she doesn't know about Christmas
this year. One thing that she does believe is that Apple
is at fault. As Jessica pointed out, "My son didn’t
understand that the money was real. How could he?
He’s playing a cartoon game in a world that he knows
is not real. Why would the money be real to him? That
would require a big cognitive leap."

Her advice to other parents: “Check your security
settings. I’m appalled that this is even possible in these
games and that Apple devices are not pre-set to
prevent this.”

Source: https://www.phonearena.com/news/child-spends-over-16k-on-ipad-game_id129038

1 Share

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 17, 2020
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by EbukaHades10(m): 11:32am On Dec 17, 2020
6m to buy game boosters!!

As a gamer, I understand but e too much, haba.

At least, his own good even though na small pikin. I sabi person wey dey pay Brazzers and Pórñ hub premium subscription with his ATM card.

Still on still

13 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by espn(m): 11:39am On Dec 17, 2020
She get the bar...If na one naija parent wey eyes dey shook...The boy do drop out for school be that. Na mechanic work sure pass for am.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Nukilia: 11:39am On Dec 17, 2020
Mrs Johnson should send that boy to Nigeria cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Palmerbarry: 11:43am On Dec 17, 2020
Who would you blame, Apple or the mum?
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Palmerbarry: 11:49am On Dec 17, 2020
Caption: The mom after she
finally realized that George was the culprit.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by sunshineV(f): 12:10pm On Dec 17, 2020
if na me, i go don send am to god

1 Like

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by kennyflames(m): 1:45pm On Dec 17, 2020
jesus

imagine if the boy fell into the hands of online scammers
damnn
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by oluwabukola87028: 2:20pm On Dec 17, 2020
She get the bar...If na one naija parent wey eyes dey shook...The boy do drop out for school be that. Na mechanic work sure pass for am.
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by MrBONE2(m): 2:27pm On Dec 17, 2020
Nukilia:
grin

2 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2020
Nukilia:

A little panel beating will rewire him to understand how money works.

6years old for here no fit try that rubbish.
I don first approach my neighbor that year first give the papa one naira say i go marry the dauta as I small reach. Everybody witness am as the man collect the one naira sef

I done remember as the yeye girl leave me come to marry one bald man like that so sef.

2 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by lkillbrokehoes: 2:38pm On Dec 17, 2020
Me that I spend on game boosters etc, I haven't spent up to $1000 not to talk of $16k, that kid is a bad kid, I trust African parents.

2 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by theFilmtric: 2:46pm On Dec 17, 2020
na the reason yahoo boys they see them scam be this na undecided
theFilmtricsay

2 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Dracking(m): 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2020
If you have played any online games you will understand. Nowadays games are more of a wallet fight the more you are willing to release the softer the game becomes

4 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by PAWG(m): 3:02pm On Dec 17, 2020
lkillbrokehoes:
Me that I spend on game boosters etc, I haven't spent up to $1000 not to talk of $16k, that kid is a bad kid, I trust African parents.

I'm quite sure he didn't know what he was doing

2 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by soundOsonic: 3:40pm On Dec 17, 2020
George eyes glued to the iPad as he tapped tirelessly, the Sonic avatar gained so much speed, but each level of the game rendered such bizarre speed useless.
"This game is becoming tough" the six year old boy wondered. George being a handsome Yoruba boy with tribal marks took his mother's ATM imputed the necessary pin as the sonic Hedgehog game made the steps so easy for even a 6 year old nigeria kid with little financial knowledge.
It worked, the avatar gained more speed, the once tough level became an easy win, George tried it again and again and made his Avatar attained a god-like speed he was so proud of himself having upgraded his avatar to such level at the expense of 6 million naira.
Iya George checked her empty account and shouted "Mo GBE" her two hands on her head as she fell to the ground like mango tree. It wasn't actually her money but cooperative money. She rushed to the bank for an answer, the bank asked if she had a gaming addiction.
Iya George replied while narrowing her eyes with her head protruding forward " addict-kini?" Then she thought of George. "Geooorge you have killed me, o ti kpa mi aaaaahhh". All eyes were on her as she rushed home with a god-like speed like George's avatar.
Iya George rushed George with 4 slaps 3 upper cut and squeezed his two ears to push his head towards south and gave him seven back lash on his back. George struggled to escaped his mother but in attempt he loosed bearing and fell. " what did I do" poor George wonders as his mother still tried to drag him back into her beating perimeter, George responded instinctively by moving backward while seated on the ground, but the mother's wrath still fell upon him.
George eyes opened in Light hospital iyana ipaja as the last he could remember was when his mother was coming for him, he tried to sit upright but all his body hurts as his eyes glanced through a nearby mirror he shouted "who is this" his face looked like Mr. chaug Li his dad Chinese boss but a negro-chinesse.
Doctor, pastor, dad, Neighbors were all standing giving him the mischievous looks, that was the last time George ever played any form of game

13 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by 400billionman: 4:02pm On Dec 17, 2020
grin

So these games are just like football punting ?

This is really crazy !

These big companies are cashing out on people's ignorance.

E go be.
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by 400billionman: 4:03pm On Dec 17, 2020
lkillbrokehoes:

Does the game allow you to win any money for yourself in case you performed extremely well playing it ?
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Vexedkid(m): 4:05pm On Dec 17, 2020
Kai oyibo life too sweet, see the boy explanation, I didn't know it was real and dem leave am. I remember when I used my dad's phone to do 2go and they deducted #30 from his balance, him beat me pass person wey go thief for market.

4 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Vexedkid(m): 4:12pm On Dec 17, 2020
soundOsonic:
George eyes glued to the iPad as he tapped tirelessly, the Sonic avatar gained so much speed, but each level of the game rendered such bizarre speed useless.
"This game is becoming tough" the six year old boy wondered. George being a handsome Yoruba boy with tribal took his mother's ATM imputed the necessary pin as the sonic Hedgehog game made the steps so easy for even a 6 year old nigeria kid with little financial knowledge.
It worked, the avatar gained more speed, the once tough level became an easy win, George tried it again and again and made his Avatar attained a god-like speed he was so proud of himself having upgraded his avatar to such level at the expense of 6 million naira.
Iya George checked her empty account and shouted "Mo GBE" her two hands on her head as she fell to the ground like mango tree. It wasn't actually her money but cooperative money. She rushed to the bank for an answer, the bank asked if she had a gaming addiction.
Iya George replied while narrowing eye eyes with her head protruding forward " addict-kini?" Then she thought of George. "Geooorge you have killed me, o to kpa mi aaaaahhh". All eyes were on her as she rushed home with a god-like speed like George's avatar.
Iya George rushed George with 4 slaps 3 upper cut and squeezed his two ears to push his head towards south and gave him seven back lash on his back. George struggled to escaped his mother but in attempt he loosed bearing and fell. " what did I do" poor George wonders as his mother still tried to drag him back into her beating perimeter, George responded instinctively by moving backward while seated on the ground, but the mother's wrath still fell upon him.
George eyes opened in Light hospital iyana ipaja as the last he could remember was when his mother was coming from him, he tried to sit upright but all his body hurts as his eyes glanced through a nearby mirror he shouted "who is this" his face looked like Mr. chaug Li his dad Chinese boss but a negro-chinesse.
Doctor, pastor, dad, Neighbors where all standing giving him the mischievous looks, that was the last time George ever played any form of game
lol guy u funny oo, I like this ur naija version, if na naija even pastor no go wan hear forgiveness again, na there u go here adjectives like accursed child, evil boy, ill begotten and so on.
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Palmerbarry: 4:17pm On Dec 17, 2020
Vexedkid:
Kai oyibo life too sweet, see the boy explanation, I didn't know it was real and dem leave am. I remember when I used my dad's phone to do 2go and they deducted #30 from his balance, him beat me pass person wey go thief for market.

grin
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Bmaster(m): 4:18pm On Dec 17, 2020
EbukaHades10:
6m to buy game boosters!!

As a gamer, I understand but e too much, haba.

At least, his own good even though na small pikin. I sabi person wey dey pay Brazzers and Pórñ hub premium subscription with his ATM card.

Still on still
please sir how much do you know about this premium subscription.

I registered on emilydates,but I must be on premium before I xchange contacts,is it a one time stuff,?
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Palmerbarry: 4:20pm On Dec 17, 2020
soundOsonic:
"This game is becoming tough" the six year old boy wondered. George being a handsome Yoruba boy with tribal took his mother's ATM imputed the necessary pin as the sonic Hedgehog game made the steps so easy for even a 6 year old nigeria kid with little financial knowledge.
Iya George replied while narrowing eye eyes with her head protruding forward " addict-kini?" Then she thought of George. "Geooorge you have killed me, o to kpa mi aaaaahhh". All eyes were on her as she rushed home with a god-like speed like George's avatar....
. Hehe what a remix.
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Vexedkid(m): 4:20pm On Dec 17, 2020
Palmerbarry:

grin
I swear boss na true story o no be made up, the beating no for pain me sha, wetin vex me be say my crush dey around, our neighbor's daughter. After that beating she come dey look me with one kind eye
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by lkillbrokehoes: 4:22pm On Dec 17, 2020
Vexedkid:
Nawa o, just 30 Naira? lolz I still remember vividly when I used my dad ATM card to withdraw 50k, I was the only one that knew his pin because he was so fond of me, I thought after withdrawing the money, if they pay me the 100k i was expecting I will pay back, that was in 2008, I waited for few months no pay and my dad didn't notice I debited money from his account, he was so loaded that he doesn't notice anything. mehn! I really made alot of money from my dad, he always make sure that his children dosen't lack anything, reason why I'm going to be the best dad for my kids and will make sure they don't lack anything too

3 Likes

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by lkillbrokehoes: 4:23pm On Dec 17, 2020
400billionman:

Does the game allow you to win any money for yourself in case you performed extremely well playing it ?
Real money?
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Vexedkid(m): 4:24pm On Dec 17, 2020
lkillbrokehoes:
Nawa o, just 30 Naira? lolz I still remember vividly when I used my dad ATM card to withdraw 50k, I was the only one that knew his pin because he was so fond of me, I thought after withdrawing the money, if they pay me the 100k i was expecting I will pay back, that was in 2008, I waited for few months no pay and my dad didn't notice I debited money from his account, he was so loaded that he doesn't notice anything. mehn! I really made alot of money from my dad, he always make sure that his children dosen't lack anything, reason why I'm going to be the best dad for my kids and will make sure they don't lack anything too
guy u lucky o, 50k like that, my papa for don disown me.

1 Like

Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by 400billionman: 4:27pm On Dec 17, 2020
lkillbrokehoes:
Real money?

Yes for competitive gamers.
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by EbukaHades10(m): 4:32pm On Dec 17, 2020
Bmaster:
please sir how much do you know about this premium subscription.

I registered on emilydates,but I must be on premium before I xchange contacts,is it a one time stuff,?
I don't know much about emilydates but these kind of things are usually one time stuffs.

Someone else can clarify for you just to be sure
Re: This 6-year-old Racked Up $16,000 On Mom’s Credit Card Playing Video Games by Bmaster(m): 4:44pm On Dec 17, 2020
EbukaHades10:
I don't know much about emilydates but these kind of things are usually one time stuffs.

Someone else can clarify for you just to be sure
ok.noted

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Root A Micromax A35 Bolt Android Smartphone / How Can I Change The Imei Of Itel It1404 / Xiaomi Mi Max 2 Price In Nigeria ( Jumia & Slot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.