Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,358 members, 7,860,949 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:42 PM

"British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" (425 Views)

Nigerian Doctors Wait As Indian Doctors Gain Approval To Practice In US, Canada / Russia Tested COVID-19 Vaccine On Humans Successfully / Facemasks: Abia Awaits NCDC’s Approval To Roll Out Nationwide Distribution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by buymyride: 6:26pm On Dec 17, 2020
British American Tobacco has moved a step closer to producing a vaccine for coronavirus using tobacco plants, as it won approval in the US to begin testing on humans.

The company behind cigarette brands including Lucky Strike, Rothmans and Benson & Hedges said the US Food & Drug Administration had given it clearance to begin a clinical study with adult volunteers.

While large pharmaceutical companies are already producing vaccines, BAT believes its own can be produced in six weeks, compared with the several months it takes using conventional methods.

This, the company claims, is because of proprietary technology that allows elements of the vaccine to gather quickly on tobacco plants.

BAT also says its vaccine is stable at room temperature, unlike the Pfizer/BioNTech jab being administered in the UK, which must be stored and transported at about -70C.

The vaccine has been developed by BAT’s biotechnology division, Kentucky BioProcessing (KBP), which has previously worked on a treatment for Ebola and is also developing a seasonal flu vaccine.

BAT said KBP had cloned a portion of the genetic sequence of coronavirus and developed a potential antigen, which is then inserted into tobacco plants for reproduction.

KBP, which is based in Owensboro, Kentucky, says it can turn tobacco plants into “bio-manufacturing factories” capable of producing proteins they would not otherwise produce.

Up to 3m can be grown, harvested and processed within six weeks, meaning the relevant proteins are produced faster than traditional methods, which KBP said could take months.

The company, which was bought by BAT in 2014, says it can also temporarily encode tobacco plants with the genetic instructions to produce specific target proteins.

Dr David O’Reilly, BAT’s director of scientific research, said: “Moving into human trials with both our Covid-19 and seasonal flu vaccine candidates is a significant milestone and reflects our considerable efforts to accelerate the development of our emerging biologicals portfolio.

“It is our unique plant-based vaccine technology, which acts as a fast, efficient host for the production of antigens for a variety of diseases, that has enabled us to make this progress and respond to the urgent global need for safe and effective treatments and vaccines.”

BAT’s vaccine remains some way behind those being produced by large drug companies such as Pfizer, which is administering doses in the UK and US, with AstraZeneca and Moderna not far behind.

But if it can produce doses quickly and in a stable format, it could aid a global vaccination process likely to last years, as well as burnishing the reputation of a company more used to fielding criticism for damaging people’s health.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/16/british-american-tobacco-approval-test-covid-vaccine-humans

1 Like

Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by buymyride: 6:26pm On Dec 17, 2020
This deserves to grace the front page

Cc: lalasticlala snake Dey here ooo, 3 headed snake for that matter shocked

Check my signature, I have a cheap 2016 Honda Accord toks
Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by rusher14: 7:04pm On Dec 17, 2020
People are conducting research on any and everything.

In our case, we are more invested in politics, power, conspiracies and matters one can never physically substantiate.

What is wrong with us?

The other day, we saw Dino Melaye, who isn't qualified in any of the biological sciences, claiming the vaccines are being created to kill.

Honestly, one cannot but become depressed at the black race and the most populous black nation.

Get up and do something.
Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by HallaDaTruth: 7:15pm On Dec 17, 2020
We need Covid vaccines made from weed
Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2020
HallaDaTruth:
We need Covid vaccines made from weed

Wa gbayi
Make we high de go

2 Likes

Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by HallaDaTruth: 7:19pm On Dec 17, 2020
rusher14:
People are conducting research on any and everything.

In our case, we are more invested in politics, power, conspiracies and matters one can never physically substantiate.

What is wrong with us?

The other day, we saw Dino Melaye, who isn't qualified in any of the biological sciences, claiming the vaccines are being created to kill.

Honestly, one cannot but become depressed at the black race and the most populous black nation.

Get up and do something.

https://twitter.com/DeepStateExpose/status/1336849739673985025?s=19

https://twitter.com/denisrancourt/status/1336843039894089728?s=19

https://twitter.com/TruthandFreedo8/status/1336578470885855235?s=19

Visit those 3 twitter links and think again before you take the vaccine
Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by dollytino4real(f): 7:38pm On Dec 17, 2020
I know they will look for negros secretly
Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by buymyride: 7:49pm On Dec 17, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by rusher14: 8:14pm On Dec 17, 2020
Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by HallaDaTruth: 8:36pm On Dec 17, 2020
rusher14:

I would take the vaccine.
Please do. Good luck with that. Those who don't listen all have a price to pay. Please take the vaccines.
Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by rusher14: 8:42pm On Dec 17, 2020
HallaDaTruth:

Please do. Good luck with that. Those who don't listen all have a price to pay. Please take the vaccines.
Of course I will.

Why should I believe conspiracies?
Researchers made the device you are using to type your message.

Another set of researchers made antimalarials and medicines you and I consume when we fall ill.

Suddenly, because of some anonymous dolt online, I should stop trusting the same set of researchers who have created vaccines.

What is the sense in that?

Take your conspiracies and shove it where the sun don't shine.

1 Like

Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by HallaDaTruth: 11:24pm On Dec 17, 2020
rusher14:

Of course I will.

Why should I believe conspiracies?
Researchers made the device you are using to type your message.

Another set of researchers made antimalarials and medicines you and I consume when we fall ill.

Suddenly, because of some anonymous dolt online, I should stop trusting the same set of researchers who have created vaccines.

What is the sense in that?

Take your conspiracies and shove it where the sun don't shine.
The same people who must have definitely called Noah a conspiracy theorists in His days ended up drowning. Every generation is full of people who have ears but do not listen. Have you heard of the people with facial deformities who took the vaccine. It trended in Twitter America. After you receive that shot. You will say had i known. Please take an over dose of the vaccine, since you trust killer Pfizer and mordrna with your life.

Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by peace80037: 11:44pm On Dec 17, 2020
Visit those 3 twitter links and think again before you take the vaccineuna don start again, so it’s no longer 5G

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by buymyride: 11:08am On Dec 18, 2020
HallaDaTruth:

The same people who must have definitely called Noah a conspiracy theorists in His days ended up drowning. Every generation is full of people who have ears but do not listen. Have you heard of the people with facial deformities who took the vaccine. It trended in Twitter America. After you receive that shot. You will say had i known. Please take an over dose of the vaccine, since you trust killer Pfizer and mordrna with your life.
say what?
Re: "British American Tobacco Wins Approval To Test Covid Vaccine On Humans" by buymyride: 9:41pm On Dec 27, 2020
Cc: lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

This 5 Natural Remedies Cures Staphylococcus And Gonorrhea. / Male And Female Rottweiler Puppies For Sale / How Can I Control My Frustration And Not Commit Suicide?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.