Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,932 members, 7,828,251 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

The Complete SEO Guide For Beginners – Even Grandmas Would Understand This! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / The Complete SEO Guide For Beginners – Even Grandmas Would Understand This! (284 Views)

Complete SEO Guide For Beginners In 2022 / Complete SEO Tricks And 21 SEO Strategies For 2019 / 4 Memes (pictures) Only Bloggers Would Understand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Complete SEO Guide For Beginners – Even Grandmas Would Understand This! by sunky97: 8:47am On Dec 18, 2020
Do you want to learn SEO but don’t know where to start?

Let us guide you through all the SEO basics you need to know to proceed with search engine optimization on your own!

What is SEO?
Search engine optimization (SEO) is a process of optimizing your website with the goal of improving your rankings in the search results and getting more organic (non-paid) traffic.

The history of SEO dates back to the 90s when search engines emerged for the first time. Nowadays, it is an essential marketing strategy and an ever-growing industry.

The search engines are used by internet users when they are searching for something.

And you want to provide the answer to that something. It doesn’t matter whether you sell a product or service, write a blog, or anything else, search engine optimization is a must for every website owner.

To put it simply:

SEO is all the actions you do to make Google consider your website a quality source and rank it higher for your desired search queries.

SEO in practice
You don’t need to know ALL the factors and the exact algorithms Google uses to rank your website. But you need to understand the basics.

To understand the key components of SEO and the relationships between them, imagine a bowl of soup – the SEO soup.

There are three key aspects of SEO:

Technical stuff – The bowl represents all the technical aspects you need to cover (often referred to as technical or on-page SEO). Without a proper bowl, there would be nothing to hold the soup.
Great content – The soup represents the content of your website – the most important part. Low-quality content = no rankings, it is that simple.
Quality backlinks – The seasoning represents the backlinks that increase the authority of your website. You can have great content and a perfectly optimized website but ultimately, you need to gain authority by getting quality backlinks – the last ingredient to make your SEO soup perfect.

We’ll take a look at all of these aspects from the practical point of view.

Useful vocabulary
As soon as you start digging into SEO, you’ll come across some common terms that try to categorize its various aspects or approaches, namely:

On-page SEO & off-page SEO
Black hat SEO & white hat SEO
Although they are not that important from the practical point of view, it is good to know their meaning.

On-page SEO & off-page SEO
The terms on-page and off-page SEO categorize the SEO activities based on whether you perform them on the website

On-page SEO is everything you can do on the website – from the optimization of content through technical aspects.

Keyword research
Content optimization
Title tag optimization
Page performance optimization
Internal linking
The goal is to provide both perfect content and UX while showing search engines what the page is about.

Off-page SEO is mostly about getting quality backlinks to show search engines that your website has authority and value. Link building may involve techniques like:

Guest blogging
Email outreach
Broken link building
Off-page SEO is also closely connected to other areas of online marketing, such as social media marketing and branding, which have an indirect impact on building the trust and authority of your website.

Remember that a successful SEO strategy consists of both on-page and off-page SEO activities.

White hat SEO vs. black hat SEO
Black hats and white hats have their origin in Western movies. They represented bad guys and white guys.In SEO, the terms are used to describe two groups of SEOs – those who adhere to the rules set out by Google’s Webmaster Guidelines and those who don’t.

Black hat SEO is a set of unethical (and usually spammy) practices to improve the rankings of a website.

These techniques can get you to the top of the SERP in a short time, however, search engines will most probably penalize and ban the website sooner or later.

White hat SEO, on the other hand, refers to all the regular SEO techniques that stick to the guidelines and rules. It is a long-term strategy in which good rankings are a side-product of good optimization, quality content, and a user-oriented approach.

While SEO experts agree that “white hat” is the way to go, there are different opinions on the acceptability of various link building techniques (including link buying).

Frequently asked questions
Can I do SEO on my own?
SEO is not easy. But it’s no rocket science either.

There are things you can implement right away and there are concepts that will take much more time and effort. So yes, you can do SEO on your own.

The only question is whether you are willing to invest some time into learning all the aspects of SEO, or you’ll hire a professional and invest your time into something else.

How can I learn SEO?
There’s a couple of things you should do to learn SEO:

Read reliable resources
Get hands-on experience
Don’t be afraid of experiments
Have a lot of patience (SEO is a marathon, not a sprint)
Reading and implementing the things from this guide is a great way to start �

How long does it take to learn SEO?
To answer this question, we’ll use a common answer of SEO experts to almost any SEO issue: it depends.

While understanding the basics won’t take you longer than a couple of weeks, the actual mastering of this discipline depends largely on the practice, which is a question of months, even years.

Last but not least, SEO is evolving all the time. You should always keep learning and stay updated with the latest updates, experiments and findings.

Do I need SEO tools?
If you’re serious about SEO, you shouldn’t neglect the useful data and insights provided by various SEO tools. They give you a great competitive advantage and save a lot of your time.

Here are some essential SEO tools every website owner should use:

Google Search Console
a traffic analysis tool (e.g. Google Analytics)
a keyword research tool (e.g. KWFinder)
a backlink analysis tool (e.g. LinkMiner)
a rank tracker (e.g. SERPWatcher)
Is SEO dead?
When people use the phrase “SEO is dead”, they usually mean that “the spammy attempts to cheat the Google algorithm that were used 10 years ago are dead”.

Other than that, search engine optimization is an essential marketing strategy and an ever-growing industry.

What are search engines
A search engine is an online tool that helps people find information on the internet. A typical example? Google.

And the truth is, Google is also probably the only example you need to know.

Although SEO stands for “search engine optimization”, with the current dominance of Google, we could simply use the term “Google optimization”. Just look at the chart of the search engine market share (data by Statcounter):

How search engines work
The process in which search engines work consists of these main steps:

Crawling
Indexing
Picking the results
…and finally, showing the search results to the user.

The process looks something like this:

Crawling
Crawling is the process in which search engines scan all the internet webpages continuously.

They use small pieces of programs (called crawlers or bots) to follow all the hyperlinks and discover new pages (as well as updates to the pages they discovered before).

Martin Splitt, Google Webmaster Trend Analyst, describes the crawling process quite simply:

“We start somewhere with some URLs, and then basically follow links from thereon. So we are basically crawling our way through the internet (one) page by page, more or less.”

Indexing
Once the website is crawled, the information is indexed. The search engines try to analyze and understand the pages, categorize them, and store them in the index.

The search engine index is basically a gigantic library of all the crawled websites with a single purpose – to understand them and have them available to be used as a search result.

Click here to Continue reading http://olivedigitals.com/the-complete-seo-guide-for-beginners-even-grandmas-would-understand-this/

Re: The Complete SEO Guide For Beginners – Even Grandmas Would Understand This! by Dysaen(f): 1:38pm On Mar 11, 2021
In general, I understood everything, but I am quite afraid to try SEO by myself.
Re: The Complete SEO Guide For Beginners – Even Grandmas Would Understand This! by Goors1n: 1:50pm On Mar 11, 2021
Dysaen:
In general, I understood everything, but I am quite afraid to try SEO by myself.

If you learn the most important things, it is not that hard to do. The main problem is practice, you should learn how to do that in a proper way. At first, your results will not be that satisfying, but if you will try more and more, you will reach to the wished result. Anyway, everything depends on how much time you have for that, because SEO take a lot of it. Personally I don't have time because I have a lot of work to do, so I buy https://seooptimizers.com/ services. They always do the best quality for a reasonable price. So if you're in the same situation, you can ask them for their services, they are professionals and you will have 100% result for sure.

(1) (Reply)

Help!!!! How Can I Index My Backlinks / Need New Design For A Site. / Hosting Companies With Proper DNS Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.