Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? (32620 Views)

20 Rarely Used English Words That We Need To Know / Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Easyincome24: 1:16pm On Dec 23, 2020
I keep asking why some words are not written the way they are pronounced and also some words ain't pronounced the way they are written.

How can I explain that SOLILOQUY is pronounced[b] /so-li-lo-kwi/[/b] transcribed as /səˈlɪləkwi/?

How would I have known that GNARL is pronounced as /narl/ while one swallows the G but transcribed as[i] /nɑːl/[/i]

So guys, what are those English words you find difficult to spell or pronounce?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Newman20(m): 1:47pm On Dec 23, 2020

15 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Easyincome24: 1:51pm On Dec 23, 2020
Newman20:
None. I'm quite proficient in English language.

That's interesting to know.

That means you are a dictionary, Lolz.

Joke apart, hope you are utilizing that skill to make money as a translator, proof reader, writer?

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Newman20(m): 1:55pm On Dec 23, 2020
Easyincome24:

That's interesting to know.

That means you are a dictionary, Lolz.

Joke apart, hope you are utilizing that skill to make money as a translator, proof reader, writer?

Not yet. But, for the sake of asking, how can I?

Easyincome24

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Easyincome24: 2:10pm On Dec 23, 2020
Newman20:

Not yet. But, for the sake of asking, how can I?

Easyincome24

That's not so hard dear. You need to do some few google search and YouTube on any aspect you want.

You will still need a guidance so that you don't consume some unnecessary materials online thereby getting you fed with junks.

Here is how you can start right away

#1 Search for your area of interest, that is where your niche will come from for a start. Later as you grow, you can diversify, multi task too.

#2 Blogging is one of the easiest since you have good control of English; so start with a free blog. You can use blogger, WordPress, wix and some free ones.

#3 Join a forum where the same interest is being shared. There you will build confidence and also find supports.

#4 Do more research especially what is trending in your chosen niche( that's your area of interest).

#5 For a start, you may not make money; you probably will be willing to horn your writing and proof reading skills.

#6 You can launch deep a little by registering on Upwork, People per hour, Freelancer, Fiverr etc.
Some may require some certificates from you. Don't worry register as a student with Udemy, Pluralsight, Coursera, Lynda etc to get some free cert or for few dollars.

That's the few I can relate for now.

Good luck if you trail this path!

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Newman20(m): 2:13pm On Dec 23, 2020
Easyincome24:

That's not so hard dear. You need to do some few google search and YouTube on any aspect you want.

You will still need a guidance so that you don't consume some unnecessary materials online thereby getting you fed with junks.

#1 Search for your area of interest, that is where your niche will come from for a start. Later as you grow, you can diversify, multi task too.

#2 Blogging is one of the easiest since you have good control of English; so start with a free blog. You can use blogger, WordPress, six and some free ones.

#3 Join a forum where the same interest is being shared. There you will build confidence and also find supports.

#4 Do more research especially what is trending in your chosen niche( that's your area of interest).

#5 For a start, you may not make money; you probably will be willing to horn your writing and proof reading skills.

#6 You can launch deep a little by registering on Upwork, People per hour, Freelancer, Fiverr etc.
Some may require some certificates from you. Don't worry register as a student with Udemy, Pluralsight, Coursera, Lynda etc to get some free cert or for few dollars.

Thank you. I think I'll follow this path for now at least.

8 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by identitylenz(m): 2:18pm On Dec 23, 2020
Easyincome24:

#2 Blogging is one of the easiest since you have good control of English; so start with a free blog. You can use blogger, WordPress, wix and some free ones.

Thank you grin

2 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Easyincome24: 2:20pm On Dec 23, 2020
Which of these is correct, accessories or assessories?
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Newman20(m): 2:58pm On Dec 23, 2020
Easyincome24:

The former

And BTW do you intend to make the thread into a game of some sort? If you are then it could be fun. wink

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Easyincome24: 3:05pm On Dec 23, 2020
Newman20:

The former

And BTW do you intend to make the thread into a game of some sort? If you are then it could be fun. wink

Yeah, but more importantly is for people to learn some strange words and pronunciations

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Hambivert: 4:41pm On Dec 23, 2020
Hormonal or Cultural inflections?
I don't know, even if I know I can't totally rule it out.
...but sparogatively, I've come across alot of very educated people who find it hard to pronounce some English words correctly.

From the ones who don't know the difference between I'm and Am but still think they are right in all ramification using Am in place of I'm
...to the ones who pronounce Certificate as Cer-Fi-Ti-cate. The list is endless.

There are also those who have the H-Factor ingrained in their tongues...these ones make the word everybody sound like Hair-vri-body and still put you into confusion when they are saying words like hair or air ... there's actually no difference with them. Everything is HAIR!

..."The Hair is blowing from the Heast today!"

The ones that I still cannot find a way to correct, are the ones that pronounce words like Treasure, Pressure and Measure as...
Treh-Yor
Preh-Yor and
Meh-Yor.

Anyways, I am in no way mocking any of them here. I'm just a good citizen stating his observation.

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by ifejobi84754: 5:14pm On Dec 23, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Olamyyde(m): 8:59pm On Dec 23, 2020
Hierarchical

3 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Apreecauts: 9:03pm On Dec 23, 2020
I don't know why, but I find it hard to pronounce the word tasks

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Kondomatic(m): 9:28pm On Dec 23, 2020
Floccinaucinihilipilification

3 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by aysuprano(m): 9:37pm On Dec 23, 2020
I find it hard to pronounce lingerie

I find it hard to spell diarrhoea

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Administration1: 9:40pm On Dec 23, 2020
I sabi all of them na, na just my English Language Teacher wey no teach us well

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Shellsploit: 9:40pm On Dec 23, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by PAWG(m): 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2020
PneumoNOultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

I find it difficult pronouncing it at a go

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Donspicey: 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2020
If....

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by HalpyBee(f): 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2020
Otorhinolaryngologist
Camaraderie
Apocryphal
Puerile

Try pronouncing these words and check to know if you're correct.

6 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by blinking001(m): 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2020
None
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by Ilerioluwa02: 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2020
Champagne

Like... cham-pag-ne

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by 1OLADesign(m): 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2020
pronunciation....

Before na pronounciation I dey write...

Secondly till now I still spell EXERCISE like Ede X Ede remi coni iya, segun elere ball grin

32 Likes

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by aribisala0(m): 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2020
What about Yoruba words that are difficult to spell or pronounce like alapandede

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by CuriousMynd: 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2020
Methyl​enedioxy​methamphetamine

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by visijo(m): 9:42pm On Dec 23, 2020
chaos

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by FYsol: 9:43pm On Dec 23, 2020
Exacerbate

1 Like

Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by ElRapido: 9:43pm On Dec 23, 2020
Inuguration
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by BigBrother9ja: 9:43pm On Dec 23, 2020
grin
Re: Which English Words Do You Find Difficult Spelling Or Pronouncing? by haddeylium(m): 9:44pm On Dec 23, 2020
Diverstatehead cheesy
Not sure of the spelling

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Madu Stephanie Gets Straight A's In Her WAEC Result (Photos) / Do You Like The Course You Studied In University Or Polytechnic? / COVID-19: UNILAG Students Vacating The Hostel (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.