Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:41 PM

Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History (2824 Views)

Shane Long Scores Fastest Ever Goal In Premier League History (Photos) / The Toughest Players Ever In The English Premier League History / Benjamin Pavard's Goal Voted As The Best Of The 2018 World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by obonujoker(m): 7:57am On Dec 26, 2020
Cristiano Ronaldo's move to Manchester United for little more than £12m from Sporting Lisbon in 2003 won over signings of Thierry Henry for Arsenal, Mohamed Salah for Liverpool and Sergio Aguero for Manchester City

Ronaldo came out on top in a countdown of the 20 greatest Premier League deals that the Transfer Show panel chose on a special Christmas Day programme on Sky Sports News. He was one of four Manchester United players in the top 10 along with Eric Cantona, Roy Keane and Wayne Rooney.

United signed Ronaldo from Sporting Lisbon for £12m in August 2003. During six seasons at Old Trafford, he won eight major trophies including three Premier League titles and the Champions League. During a stellar career, he has scored more than 750 goals, won 30 major trophies, five Ballon d'Ors and two Best FIFA men's player of the year awards.

"When he signed I thought he was a poor signing for United," Sky Sports News presenter Tom White said. "So from now on, don't listen to a word I say."

Thierry Henry came second even though many would argue he made more of an impact in the Premier League than Ronaldo. Arsenal signed him in the summer of 1999 for £11m from Juventus. During eight seasons at Highbury, he became an Invincible, won two titles and broke the club's goalscoring record.

Top 20

Cristiano Ronaldo
Thierry Henry
Eric Cantona
Frank Lampard
Roy Keane
Didier Drogba
Sol Campbell
Wayne Rooney
Vincent Kompany
Alan Shearer
Mohamed Salah
N'Golo Kante
Dennis Bergkamp
Virgil van Dijk
Gianfranco Zola
David Silva
Patrick Vieira
Eden Hazard
Sergio Aguero
Petr Cech

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12172596/cristiano-ronaldo-is-best-premier-league-transfer-say-sky-sports-news-transfer-show-team
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Freestainworld(m): 8:03am On Dec 26, 2020
Good record, will be broken soon
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by thesicilian: 8:07am On Dec 26, 2020
No dispute there. 5 ballon dors with a stellar record spanning 4 major leagues is no joke
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Realtord43: 8:37am On Dec 26, 2020
This award hold no water
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by delugadou(m): 9:34am On Dec 26, 2020
obonujoker:
Cristiano Ronaldo's move to Manchester United for little more than £12m from Sporting Lisbon in 2003 won over signings of Thierry Henry for Arsenal, Mohamed Salah for Liverpool and Sergio Aguero for Manchester City.

Top 20

Cristiano Ronaldo
Thierry Henry
Eric Cantona
Frank Lampard
Roy Keane
Didier Drogba
Sol Campbell
Wayne Rooney
Vincent Kompany
Alan Shearer
Mohamed Salah
N'Golo Kante
Dennis Bergkamp
Virgil van Dijk
Gianfranco Zola
David Silva
Patrick Vieira
Eden Hazard
Sergio Aguero
Petr Cech

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/11095/12172596/cristiano-ronaldo-is-best-premier-league-transfer-say-sky-sports-news-transfer-show-team
I'm not sorry to burst your bubble but this list is bullshit. Andrew Robertson is the best signing in history. £7million and best left back on the planet.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by obonujoker(m): 9:36am On Dec 26, 2020
delugadou:
I'm not sorry to burst your bubble but this list is bullshit. Andrew Robertson is the best signing in history. £7million and best left back on the planet.

Lol... He's not even in top 50 best EPL left backs all time...

5 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by obonujoker(m): 9:37am On Dec 26, 2020
Realtord43:
This award hold no water

Doesn't stop it from being true na
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 9:42am On Dec 26, 2020
There's no way Ronaldo is a better signing than Thierry Henry unless he was voted by fans cos he has a whole bunch of them. Who will vote a player with less than 100 premier league goals best transfer of PL history. Who will vote a player that won golden boot and PFA player of the year just once best transfer of all-time in the PL history??
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by paulolee(m): 10:04am On Dec 26, 2020
a case can be made for Henry because his epl goal tally above cr7 and their invisible record and also for sallah because of what he achieved in Liverpool winning UCL and EPL after 30 years..
but I think cr7 deserves that award because he was bought for just €15m and sold for €80 million meaning he paid his dues in gold going by the trophies he won and also winning the balloon d or as an EPL player after a long while...
cr7 did more than man.u and EPL expected...
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by paulolee(m): 10:26am On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
There's no way Ronaldo is a better signing than Thierry Henry unless he was voted by fans cos he has a whole bunch of them. Who will vote a player with less than 100 premier league goals best transfer of PL history. Who will vote a player that won golden boot and PFA player of the year just once best transfer of all-time in the PL history??
maybe cr7 winning the ucl and ballon d or award that henry neva won was a key factor in deciding those votes..
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 10:36am On Dec 26, 2020
paulolee:

maybe cr7 winning the ucl and ballon d or award that henry neva won was a key factor in deciding those votes..
well, you may be right but they said PL history not all-time. He wasn't too spectacular in EPL. He was just like every other great player that once played in the PL. The records are there. Henry had a far better performance in the PL than Ronaldo. 3 times PFA Player of the Year, 4 EPL Golden boot + One European Golden boot out of the 4. Ronaldo won the EPL Golden boot & PFA Awards just once in his 6years in England.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by obonujoker(m): 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
well, you may be right but they said PL history not all-time. He wasn't too spectacular in EPL. He was just like every other great player that once played in the PL. The records are there. Henry had a far better performance in the PL than Ronaldo. 3 times PFA Player of the Year, 4 EPL Golden boot + One European Golden boot out of the 4. Ronaldo won the EPL Golden boot & PFA Awards just once in his 6years in England.

The only thing Henry had more than Ronaldo in the EPL is the golden boot, which is understandable because Ronaldo wasn't the top 9...Please check ronaldo records in the EPL so that you won't start spewing bullcrap here... Biko

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 2:13pm On Dec 26, 2020
obonujoker:

The only thing Henry had more than Ronaldo in the EPL is the golden boot, which is understandable because Ronaldo wasn't the top 9...Please check ronaldo records in the EPL so that you won't start spewing bullcrap here... Biko
You can state your opinion without sounding insultive. He played 198 games in the premier league and scored 84goals

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 2:13pm On Dec 26, 2020
obonujoker:

You can state your opinion without sounding insultive. Meanwhile, he played 198 games in the premier league and scored 84goals in 6years. What's so spectacular??

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by obonujoker(m): 2:17pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
You can state your opinion without sounding insultive. Meanwhile, he played 198 games in the premier league and scored 84goals in 6years. What's so spectacular??

Ronaldo wasn't a striker at Man UTD sir, and then he was still young at Man Utd

And I wouldn't want to paste his achievement in the EPL here

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 2:31pm On Dec 26, 2020
obonujoker:

Ronaldo wasn't a striker at Man UTD sir, and then he was still young at Man Utd

And I wouldn't want to paste his achievement in the EPL here
Did you take these factors into consideration when attacked me? I challenge you to paste his achievements........Atleast, we are going to learn new things.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by obonujoker(m): 2:46pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
Did you take these factors into consideration when attacked me? I challenge you to paste his achievements........Atleast, we are going to learn new things.

Lol... no need bro grin.... Until you can point out any EPL player that has won these in 1 season

EPL best player
PFA best player
FWA best player
Ucl best player
Uefa best player in Europe
EPL golden boot
Ucl golden boot
FIFA best player
European best player
European golden boot
EPL trophy
Ucl trophy

All in 1 season

4 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 2:57pm On Dec 26, 2020
obonujoker:

Lol... no need bro grin.... Until you can point out any EPL player that has won these in 1 season

EPL best player
PFA best player
FWA best player
Ucl best player
Uefa best player in Europe
EPL golden boot
Ucl golden boot
FIFA best player
European best player
European golden boot
EPL trophy
Ucl trophy

All in 1 season
I am very much aware of all these but they never said over all best......premier league specifically. It's about performance in EPL history that's why they didn't include those in other leagues.

See the contestants below:

Cristiano Ronaldo
Thierry Henry
Eric Cantona
Frank Lampard
Roy Keane
Didier Drogba
Sol Campbell
Wayne Rooney
Vincent Kompany
Alan Shearer
Mohamed Salah
N'Golo Kante
Dennis Bergkamp
Virgil van Dijk
Gianfranco Zola
David Silva
Patrick Vieira
Eden Hazard
Sergio Aguero
Petr Cech

Ronaldo is all round better & greater than all the players listed but in EPL history, he is not better than Henry.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by obonujoker(m): 3:00pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
I am very much aware of all these but they never said over all best......premier league specifically. It's about performance in EPL history that's why they didn't include those in other leagues.

Yes bro... They said best transfer in EPL history... So they considered all he won for and at man Utd

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Krasid(m): 3:04pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
He won PFA twice (back 2 back). And was the first to win all 4 PFA and FWA awards in a season. Henry doesn't hold a candle.

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 3:21pm On Dec 26, 2020
Krasid:
He won PFA twice (back 2 back). And was the first to win all 4 PFA and FWA awards in a season. Henry doesn't hold a candle.
I don't want to argue go and check starts.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 3:44pm On Dec 26, 2020
Krasid:

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Krasid(m): 3:57pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
I don't want to argue go and check starts.
I am stating them. You, check them. Henry spent more seasons(9) in the EPL than CR7 (6). Yet, had less trophies (6) than Ronaldo (9). 0 ballon d'or, 0 UEFA POTY, 0 FIFA POTY, 0 UCL. Both won same amount of PFA POTY (2). The only thing he had over ronaldo was EPL golden boot; then again, it could be argued that it was because he spent more time there. Like I said before, he doesn't hold a candle to Ronaldo.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Krasid(m): 3:59pm On Dec 26, 2020
[quote author=OJEEMAH post=97445801][/quote]look below your picture, Ronaldo also has two in less seasons.On the right, the awards won were stated. In 2006/07 Ronaldo won all four awards(PFA, FWA, YPY, PPS). The next season he won 3 of the four; only missing out of the young player of the year (YPY), which he would have won if it was possible to win the award twice. That's one player winning 7 out of a possible 8 awards in 2 seasons.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 4:12pm On Dec 26, 2020
Krasid:
I am stating them. You, check them. Henry spent more seasons(9) in the EPL than CR7 (6). Yet, had less trophies (6) than Ronaldo (9). 0 ballon d'or, 0 UEFA POTY, 0 FIFA POTY, 0 UCL. Both won same amount of PFA POTY (2). The only thing he had over ronaldo was EPL golden boot; then again, it could be argued that it was because he spent more time there. Like I said before, he doesn't hold a candle to Ronaldo.
Henry had more impact in EPL than Ronaldo. Ronaldo scored just 84 PL goals in 196 Appearances compare to Henry's 175goals in 258 appearances. Ronaldo won just (1) golden boot compare to Henry's (4) including a European golden boot out of the four he won. I am not doing a general comparison but Ronaldo was no better player than Henry in the PL.

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 4:14pm On Dec 26, 2020
Krasid:
look below your picture, Ronaldo also has two in less seasons.On the right, the awards won were stated. In 2006/07 Ronaldo won all four awards(PFA, FWA, YPY, PPS). The next season he won 3 of the four; only missing out of the young player of the year (YPY), which he would have won if it was possible to win the award twice. That's one player winning 7 out of a possible 8 awards in 2 seasons.
Henry would have won all four too but note he was above the age for PFA young player of the year already.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Krasid(m): 5:11pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
Henry would have won all four too but note he was above the age for PFA young player of the year already.
That's the point. Ronaldo wasn't even in his prime when he dominated the EPL. He was young, yet he won both the league's best player and young best player. That's like Foden or Greenwood beating the likes of De bruyne/Salah or Mane to the leagues best player while still winning the young player award. Henry was exceptional, but Ronaldo was in a class of his own.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Krasid(m): 5:21pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
Because he came into the EPL in his prime, while Ronaldo came in as a teenager.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Krasid(m): 5:27pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
Henry had more impact in EPL than Ronaldo. Ronaldo scored just 84 PL goals in 196 Appearances compare to Henry's 175goals in 258 appearances. Ronaldo won just (1) golden boot compare to Henry's (4) including a European golden boot out of the four he won. I am not doing a general comparison but Ronaldo was no better player than Henry in the PL.
Ronaldo was a RMF for the most part of his United career whilst Henry was a forward. I am not making a general comparison either, if not we wouldn't be having this discussion. Only thing Henry had over Ronaldo is EPL golden boot that's because he played more seasons and in an advanced position. Ronaldo also won the European golden boot in the season he topscored in the EPL; leaving the EPL with the record for most goals in a single EPL season which was recently broken by Salah.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 5:34pm On Dec 26, 2020
Krasid:
Because he came into the EPL in his prime, while Ronaldo came in as a teenager.
Dats not true.....Henry joined arsenal at 22years. Not in his prime infact he played as a winger in Juventus before Wenger signed and converted him into one of the most fierce striker in history. He was a little older than Ronaldo but definitely not an established player. At first he wasn't scoring goals and fans were worried that Wenger sold Anelka for a player that wasn't performing but after his first season, he destroyed premier league teams. He had the highest assist (20) in a single season until last season that Kelvin Debruyne equalled it.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by OJEEMAH(m): 5:42pm On Dec 26, 2020
Krasid:
Ronaldo was a RMF for the most part of his United career whilst Henry was a forward. I am not making a general comparison either, if not we wouldn't be having this discussion. Only thing Henry had over Ronaldo is EPL golden boot that's because he played more seasons and in an advanced position. Ronaldo also won the European golden boot in the season he topscored in the EPL; leaving the EPL with the record for most goals in a single EPL season which was recently broken by Salah.
how many season did he play more than Ronaldo? As a matter of fact, he didn't even play in his final season with arsenal. I agree that CR7 was a winger. He won European Golden Boot twice and was nominated for FIFA awards consecutively but eventually lost to Ronaldinho & Zidane. Ronaldo individual achievements in not in doubt or arguable but in the PL, he wasn't a better player than Henry that's my point.
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo Has Been Voted As The Best Transfer In Premier League History by Krasid(m): 5:46pm On Dec 26, 2020
OJEEMAH:
Dats not true.....Henry joined arsenal at 22years. Not in his prime infact he played as a winger in Juventus before Wenger signed and converted him into one of the most fierce striker in history. He was a little older than Ronaldo but definitely not an established player. At first he wasn't scoring goals and fans were worried that Wenger sold Anelka for a player that wasn't performing but after his first season, he destroyed premier league teams. He had the highest assist (20) in a single season until last season that Kelvin Debruyne equalled it.
He came at 22, spent 9 seasons; that means he played in the EPL age 22-30. Let me rephrase it, he came played in the EPL in his prime. Meanwhile Ronaldo left the EPL at 23 after winning everything there is to win there.
That means, at age when Henry was trying to get a stronghold in the EPL, Ronaldo already dominated and left.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Formula 1 GrandPrix 2010. The Official Thread / American Female Track & Field Stars.... / Watching World Cup Live On The Net!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.