Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:53 AM

Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? (2400 Views)

What Is Wrong With This Photo(pineapple Head Edition) / What Is Wrong With This Picture / Do You Think Wearing This Much Makeup Is Deceitful? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by MP007(m): 4:30am On Jul 02, 2007
Just curious, americans love folks that represent where they are from, just wondering why africans especially nigerians (including me) ignore africans in african clothing in college, aint we proud of where we from or what?
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by nguage(m): 4:37am On Jul 02, 2007
cos, u'll look like a weirdo.
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by MP007(m): 4:41am On Jul 02, 2007
n-guage:

because, u'll look like a weirdo.

behave and act like a roman when u in roman , but does that mean we dont love african fashion, cant just stand people steering at me,
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by nguage(m): 4:42am On Jul 02, 2007
yes, people will always stare at me anyways. Damn, e no easy for fine boy.
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by MP007(m): 5:05am On Jul 02, 2007
fine grin u wey wowo!, just kiddin angry grin
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by omoge(f): 1:59pm On Jul 02, 2007
there is the Ghana student in school who always dorns his Ghana dress (Agbada like top) and pant to class all year round. He will put on sweater and then the Agbada like one on top.

For me, i wear jean and danshiki once in a while during summer. When going to church sometime, and when we have some international gatherings.
It's not wrong if the weather will allow you. Oyinbos, they love our dress o. My roommate bought a dress from me and she go to class dress in it at least once a week even in winter lol. I always tease her that how reddish her white skin looked after catching cold in the dress. She always laugh and doesn't care.
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by soulpatrol(f): 4:14pm On Jul 02, 2007
@ omoge. ah, so you collected money from your roomie for the dress? ah ah, you don turn to oyinbo o. grin i no blame you, even best friends dey collect money from each other if them wan sell something. but its true though, they do appreciate our native clothes, sometimes even more than we do. i always like the look of admiration i get when i don my native attire during cultural events. i feel like i'm a princess from naija. and of course yes i do tell them my father is a king in our village. he he he. grin
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by PTBNaija(f): 7:58pm On Jul 02, 2007
Yeah, I have had professors and even some students in the past (most not white) that wear african attire. Me, I have seen some fine ankara dresses that I would love to buy and wear to dress up functions. One time in high school I wore a Nigerian traditional dress (on our first annual African appreciation day), some people thought it was gorgeous. Some people just stared. I don't care, it looked great, you just need to learn to be comfortable in your own skin (haha, clothing wink)
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by chiogo(f): 3:39am On Jul 03, 2007
I would wear them if it isn't so darn cold. over here, we only enjoy warm weather for less than 3 months and that's in the summer when school is out, the rest are mostly cold.

I love some native clothing especially the customized ones.
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by omogenaija(f): 4:46am On Jul 03, 2007
i find nigerian clothes to be to fancy for school , but i dont mind wearing a top made out of ankara when i want to dress semi causal i only have one so i dont wear it often
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by thegame(m): 5:28pm On Jul 21, 2007
LISTEn to yourself. What do u think u willl look like wearing a native or agbada to class where 99 percent of the students are in jeans.?
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by omogenaija(f): 6:37pm On Jul 21, 2007
thegame:

LISTEn to yourself. What do u think u willl look like wearing a native or agbada to class where 99 percent of the students are in jeans.?

who r u addressing ?
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by iice(f): 6:41pm On Jul 21, 2007
cheesy grin My bro wears full kaftan to school complete with palm slippers grin grin Sometimes he will wear jalabia with jeans and palms grin
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by omogenaija(f): 6:51pm On Jul 21, 2007
iice:

cheesy grin My bro wears full kaftan to school complete with palm slippers grin grin Sometimes he will wear jalabia with jeans and palms grin

thats wats up , he just wants to stand out
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by MP007(m): 8:57am On Jul 22, 2007
grin grin, omg , u wan kill me with laughter, one bro wear AGBADA in college, american though he was wearing a parashoot, heh grin
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by soulpatrol(f): 11:36pm On Jul 22, 2007
big clown on campus tongue
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by Seabreez15(f): 11:59pm On Jul 22, 2007
oh puh-lease! I wear whatever I want, ANY DAY I want!! Even tied a gele the size of a mini-chopper to my graduation ball, and my ma donned an even bigger one! (needless to say, everyone wanted to touch it and take pics with me)

I'm not saying you have to, but if your reason for not wearing it is that "I'll look like a clown coz everyone's in jeans", re-think!

PS: Schooled in Germany, not the States, even fewer Africans,
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by amebo22: 3:43am On Apr 17, 2009
honestly i dont really mind wearing my natives to school but i feel its just too dressy having to match shoe and bag, if i had those easy dresses or skirts  or pants in ankara or any other material i would not mind wearing, its not that we are not proud abeg even for nija how many pple dey wear agbada go class i understand kaftan or skirts.
   I remem wen i was in college in nija i wore a fulani attire to school, i just got the look with people talking about it after how many years, now, lol
wen it comes to fashion i did stand out in sch with crazy hair do or attire, just like my saying: [b]if you cant beat them stand out /leave them[/b]
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by SeanT21(f): 5:56am On Apr 17, 2009
When I was growing up in Liberia I hardly wore traditional wear. I see no need to start now.
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Apr 17, 2009
@Topic. Nothing wrong.
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by jumoke90(f): 9:30am On Apr 21, 2009
There is nothing wrong with it, infact all the Africans in your college can plan to wear African clothes on the same day for example on a Friday, u guys will look unique and it is also good to wear it looking confident, keep on representing Africa!!!! smiley wink
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by tallrock(m): 5:36pm On Apr 22, 2009
Hey! I'm living in Belgium, I wear my native every sunday to church when there is a nice weather and I look great in it. So, if you're ashamed to wear it then you'd be ashamed to be called an African.
Re: Whats Wrong with Wearing African Clothing In American Colleges? by sherifatou: 4:46am On Apr 23, 2009
nothing wrong with it except that people may feel you're coming with a lot of baggage which many dont really care about.

Talking about wearing natives in American colleges oh.  Not in general.

(1) (Reply)

Ijaw Girls Are Beautiful / Eyeshadow Application / Allow Your Baby Boy Zoom With Style. Car Themed Bedroom For Your Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.