Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident (32853 Views)

5 Family Members Who Died In Road Accident Buried In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Drop Your Tribute For Mr. Blankson Who Died In A Bid To Rescue People(pic) / Woman Loses Husband, 3 Kids And 5 Relatives In Boat Accident In US. Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by COdeGenesis: 9:58pm On Jan 04, 2021
Joseph Blankson also known as Joe Blankson (born 29 October 1979 – 28 July 2018) was a Nigerian contractor who died while saving 13 victims of a boat accident. It happened on the Abonnema-Bakana waterway in Rivers State on 28 July 2018.

On Saturday 28 July 2018, the boat carrying 25 passengers left Abonnema Wharf for Bakana. Blankson and his sister were traveling to Bakana for a funeral. It was raining heavily during the boat's passage and the river was full of debris. Eventually the boat capsized.

Blankson swam in and out of the river 13 times to rescue the passengers. Suffering from exhaustion, he drowned on the 14th rescue attempt. It was reported that Blankson was the only fatality in the boat accident

Blankson's body was recovered a day later after the accident; he was buried the same day in the river according to customs over drowning. A service of songs in honour of the deceased was held and well attended.

On 29 July 2019, The Joe Blankson Foundation and swimming academy was setup in his honour by his wife and family to teach swimming and safety procedures for maritime travel.

The former senate president, Bukola Saraki and former vice president, Atiku Abubakar both tweeted about the incident, praising the heroic act of Blankson.

The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike promised to support Blankson's family.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Blankson#:~:text=Joseph%20Blankson%20also%20known%20as,State%20on%2028%20July%202018.

116 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by MickzyDonald: 10:00pm On Jan 04, 2021
A HERO indeed

214 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by debbydams(f): 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2021
Wow. Rip

11 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by China112(m): 11:28pm On Jan 04, 2021
I remember this guy. He did well.
It was also said on that thread that he was cultist and him trying to save people from dying and also losing his life was a retribution. But what do I know

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Magnoliaa(f): 11:31pm On Jan 04, 2021
Aw, this is heart touching. cry Such a selfless person.

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by babamadiba(m): 11:00am On Jan 05, 2021
May God provide for and protect the family.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Aidejay(m): 11:01am On Jan 05, 2021
Such a pity.

3 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Franzinni: 11:01am On Jan 05, 2021
God bless op.

We need to remember people who actually matter not all the thieves parading themselves as law makers and all

May his soul rest well... He was a MAN. And an compassionate person.

63 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Nobody: 11:01am On Jan 05, 2021
I can still remember this story embarassed

May his soul keep on RIP.

A true HERO he is... In future, I will find a way to immotalize him.

9 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by careytommy37(m): 11:01am On Jan 05, 2021
May his soul continue to rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by PhenomenalAustin: 11:01am On Jan 05, 2021
According to Opta stats,

Blankson (13) has saved more lives than Bullhari (0)

Blankson > Bullhari

Hero.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by bigdammyj: 11:02am On Jan 05, 2021
Noted

We shall (one day) honor him

4 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by careytommy37(m): 11:02am On Jan 05, 2021
China112:
It was also said on that thread that he was cultist and him trying to save people from dying and also losing his life was a retribution. But what do I know

What a silly thing to insinuate. Have you ever seen a cultist care about the life of others?

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by ApostlePaul14: 11:02am On Jan 05, 2021
RIP, u would have been my birthday mate if not d additional one day

2 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Aidejay(m): 11:02am On Jan 05, 2021
Nothing like coast guard in this country.
Instead of them to use this man's brave action as a way to introduce a type of emergency response organisation fully equipped to handle water based accidents they are busy "praising the heroic act"
Wike, Atiku, Saraki. The best way to honor this man's heroic act is by creating the BLACKSON WATER ACCIDENT RESCUE AND RECOVERY ORGANIZATION. or something like that.

26 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by PhenomenalAustin: 11:02am On Jan 05, 2021
China112:

Yeah. That thread is an eye opener fr.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 05, 2021
China112:
Rumours sha undecided
Nyesom Wike PROMISED. Story story.
If na BBN housemates, him for don fulfil him promise since 2018

24 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by ClassicMan202(m): 11:03am On Jan 05, 2021
Fh
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by PhenomenalAustin: 11:03am On Jan 05, 2021
China112:

That say no to cultism thread should be the no 1 topic on the fp

4 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by LightAunt(f): 11:03am On Jan 05, 2021
may his soul Rest in Peace
Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by inforesource: 11:04am On Jan 05, 2021
What I take from this post is the debris on the waterway. We should stop dumping of refuse that finds their ways to the ocean. We are hurting ourselves. Govt should rise up and be responsible by providing good refuse dumping system and regulations.

R.I.P to the dead. Well done!

6 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Eriokanmi: 11:04am On Jan 05, 2021
The man of the century. I salute his bravery. Instead of the oga at the top emulating this hero of our time, he ran to Daura on hearing of possible attack of aso villa by boko haram while his wife ran to dubai with family. We earnestly pray for a good, selfless leader ahead if 2023.

2 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Nobody: 11:04am On Jan 05, 2021
Wow cry cry
May God grant his soul eternal rest and protect and make provisions for his family

2 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by SooCute(m): 11:04am On Jan 05, 2021
Rest On Sire!

1 Like

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by YoungboyNBA(m): 11:05am On Jan 05, 2021
R.I.P Hero

He is a true Hero no doubt. Your kids are proud to have a father like you, selfless and with dignity,what a worthy example and lesson for.your kids.

3 Likes

Re: Joseph Blankson: An Unsung Hero Who Died Rescuing 13 Victims Of A Boat Accident by Nickshrapnel: 11:05am On Jan 05, 2021
I read about him

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Sister Abroad Doesn't Reply My Messages Anymore. / Journalist In Syria Explains Why He Still Washes Dishes After Marrying 3 Wives / This Is The Worst Christmas Of My Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.