Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,526 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly (3552 Views)

10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. / Some Popular Grammatical Blunders. Every One Has Made At Least Two Times / 10 Grammatical Blunders That Nigerians Make Regularly That Have Become Normal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Diffpussies(m): 8:00am On Jan 09, 2021
1. Trafficate/Trafficator

The correct word is "Indicator", when it's on a vehicle. When you use your indicator, the verb is "to indicate". The word trafficate doesn't exist in English. Trafficator is an obsolete word, used to describe an obsolete device on the side of a motor vehicle.

2. Night Vigil

A Vigil means a period of time when people remain quietly in a place at Night. So, really, there's no point adding Night to it when Vigils are known to mostly hold at Night. You may just want to call it a Vigil.

3. On/Off The Light

There isn't much to say about this grammatical blunder apart from the fact that each time you make that statement, make sure you add Switch to it. For example; Switch On the light/Switch Off the light. Can be used with any other object that can go On or Off

4. Reverse Back

Reverse already means; to change the direction, order, position, result, etc. of something to its opposite. So, if an object is in motion, it can be reversed. And when it is in reverse, it's surely coming back to it's initial position. No point adding Back to it.

5. Next Tomorrow

Most Nigerians generally use "Next Tomorrow" when speaking English. Please, stop murdering the English Language. The correct thing to say is; Day After Tomorrow.

6. Cattle Rearer

The word; Cattle Rearer does not exist in proper English dictionaries. Instead, you may say Cattle Herder. That's a more appropriate way of referring to people who raise/tend to cattle or other ruminant animals.

7. Convocate

Convocate is an archaic English word which means to call together or assemble but Nigerians mostly use it when they're graduating from tertiary institutions. Proper word is Convoke.

8. Plate Number

Most Nigerians including traffic law enforcement agents use the word Plate Number, which is very wrong. Number is supposed to come before Plate. So, basically, it is called Number Plate and not the other way round.

9. Barb/Barbing

This is very common among Nigerian men. Barb or Barbing does exist in the English dictionary but it has nothing to do with haircuts. You can go have your haircut at the Barbershop but you cannot Barb your hair because Barb means; a sharp projection near the end of an arrow, fish hook, or similar objects.

10. Short Knicker

Knickers ordinarily mean loose-fitting 'short' trousers gathered in at the knees. The British call it Knickers while Americans call it Shorts.

Unfortunately, Nigerians marry the British and American way of saying it together by saying ”Shortknicker

Source -- https://res.6chcdn.feednews.com/assets/v2/14104dfedcbd45b68b7a23cd86632606?quality=uhq&format=webp&resize=720

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by daddytime(m): 8:20am On Jan 09, 2021
"So" and "Therefore"...
It is either the one or the other by the Americans and British as the case may be, but the Nigerian will comfortably marry them both in a sentence. E.g " So So therefore". grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by NeoWanZaeed(m): 8:25am On Jan 09, 2021
Great
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by alexsoftwork(m): 8:33am On Jan 09, 2021
Educative though. But is it ur language?
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by branhampaul: 8:47am On Jan 09, 2021
I disagree with your list for several reasons which I have written below.

FIRSTLY, the English language as it is, is not a prescriptive language, but rather it is DESCRIPTIVE - in usage and essence. In simple terms, this means that English dictionaries reflect the way the language or words are used and not the other way (telling users how to use a language as if it is mechanical).

The way a language or word is currently being used is what is taught in schools and stored in dictionaries. Such is the beauty of English. English is not a mechanical language or a language with serious penalties for new usages.

Nevertheless the above, I accept that there are few rules, simple, to aid comprehension when speaking English, and these rules are usually related to concords; hardly are they adjectives or nouns.

If a particular region starts the use of a particular word (especially an adjective) in describing, it is very much welcomed and English language will update itself to reflect such speaking.

For the "barb" word you talked being wrong which Nigerians use daily, it has been taken by English dictionaries to reflect the way Nigerians use it. See the screenshot I attached below.

Further, for the word "trafficator" which you condemned, is obviously in one of the world most popular dictionary (i.e the English Android dictionary). See the further screenshot I attached below to this post.

I hope I have been able to educate.
For emphasis, let me repeat some of the key points I have made:

i. English language is DESCRIPTIVE, not prescriptive. And such is the best way for the language to be and progress, if not it would be static and might die off. Above all, such is its' beauty.

ii. New adjectives are created everyday, so you do not condemn an adjective a particular region or people speaking English have adopted. English should and will update itself to reflect such usages.

That is it.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by The5DME(m): 8:55am On Jan 09, 2021
1) wedding ceremony
2)stand up
3)kneel down.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by GodWrites: 9:42am On Jan 09, 2021
branhampaul:

FIRSTLY, the English language as it is, is not a prescriptive language, but rather it is DESCRIPTIVE - in usage and essence. In simple terms, this means that English dictionaries reflect the way the language or words are used and not the other way (telling users how to use a language as if it is mechanical).

The way a language or word is currently being used is what is taught in schools and stored in dictionaries. Such is the beauty of English. English is not a mechanical language or a language with serious penalties for new usages.

Nevertheless the above, I accept that there are few rules, simple, to aid comprehension when speaking English, and these rules are usually related to concords; hardly are they adjectives or nouns.

If a particular region starts the use of a particular word (especially an adjective) in describing, it is very much welcomed and English language will update itself to reflect such speaking.

For the "barb" word you talked being wrong which Nigerians use daily, it has been taken by English dictionaries to reflect the way Nigerians use it. See the screenshot I attached below.

Further, for the word "trafficator" which you condemned, is obviously in one of the world most popular dictionary (i.e the English Android dictionary). See the further screenshot I attached below to this post.

i. English language is DESCRIPTIVE, not prescriptive. And such is the best way for the language to be and progress, if not it would be static and might die off. Above all, such is its' beauty.

ii. New adjectives are created everyday, so you do not condemn an adjective a particular region or people speaking English have adopted. English should and will update itself to reflect such usages.

That is it.

I prefer to use the word 'dynamic.'

Nice input!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by ebuka10box(m): 9:45am On Jan 09, 2021
educative
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Diffpussies(m): 9:49am On Jan 09, 2021
branhampaul:

That is it.
nice 1 ,,thanks

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by femi4: 9:58am On Jan 09, 2021
branhampaul:

That is it.
No wonder you dey fail TOEFL/JAMB/WAEC

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by cassidy1996(m): 11:33am On Jan 09, 2021
femi4:
scholar na you sabi pass

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by paulolee(m): 11:52am On Jan 09, 2021
nice post..
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by TruthHurts1(m): 12:03pm On Jan 09, 2021
The irony is that you're even asking this question in English, SMH

alexsoftwork:

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by joxxy01(m): 12:34pm On Jan 09, 2021
Diffpussies:

The correct word is "Indicator", when it's on a vehicle. When you use your indicator, the verb is "to indicate". The word trafficate doesn't exist in English. Trafficator is an obsolete word, used to describe an obsolete device on the side of a motor vehicle.

2. Night Vigil

A Vigil means a period of time when people remain quietly in a place at Night. So, really, there's no point adding Night to it when Vigils are known to mostly hold at Night. You may just want to call it a Vigil.

3. On/Off The Light

There isn't much to say about this grammatical blunder apart from the fact that each time you make that statement, make sure you add Switch to it. For example; Switch On the light/Switch Off the light. Can be used with any other object that can go On or Off

4. Reverse Back

Reverse already means; to change the direction, order, position, result, etc. of something to its opposite. So, if an object is in motion, it can be reversed. And when it is in reverse, it's surely coming back to it's initial position. No point adding Back to it.

5. Next Tomorrow

Most Nigerians generally use "Next Tomorrow" when speaking English. Please, stop murdering the English Language. The correct thing to say is; Day After Tomorrow.

6. Cattle Rearer

The word; Cattle Rearer does not exist in proper English dictionaries. Instead, you may say Cattle Herder. That's a more appropriate way of referring to people who raise/tend to cattle or other ruminant animals.

7. Convocate

Convocate is an archaic English word which means to call together or assemble but Nigerians mostly use it when they're graduating from tertiary institutions. Proper word is Convoke.

8. Plate Number

Most Nigerians including traffic law enforcement agents use the word Plate Number, which is very wrong. Number is supposed to come before Plate. So, basically, it is called Number Plate and not the other way round.

9. Barb/Barbing

This is very common among Nigerian men. Barb or Barbing does exist in the English dictionary but it has nothing to do with haircuts. You can go have your haircut at the Barbershop but you cannot Barb your hair because Barb means; a sharp projection near the end of an arrow, fish hook, or similar objects.

10. Short Knicker

Knickers ordinarily mean loose-fitting 'short' trousers gathered in at the knees. The British call it Knickers while Americans call it Shorts.

Unfortunately, Nigerians marry the British and American way of saying it together by saying ”Shortknicker

Source -- https://res.6chcdn.feednews.com/assets/v2/14104dfedcbd45b68b7a23cd86632606?quality=uhq&format=webp&resize=720
But looking at the number 7 on the list.. are you indirectly saying our all our University Dons are Olodos for naming such an event Convocation??
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Minjim: 12:52pm On Jan 09, 2021
femi4:

He was referring to Spoken English.

There is different between Spoken English and Written English.
Spoken English is dynamic, informal and adaptively used while Written English is formal and tends to ,more often than not, follow the Queens Standard of English.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 09, 2021
That your number 3 should be " turn on the light" not " switch on the light".

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Minjim: 12:59pm On Jan 09, 2021
joxxy01:
But looking at the number 7 on the list.. are you indirectly saying our all our University Dons are Olodos for naming such an event Convocation??
Convocation is the noun of convocate.
It's rightly used by University because it's the process of calling all new scholars together

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Minjim: 1:04pm On Jan 09, 2021
CalliDora1:
That your number 3 should be " turn on the light" not " switch on the light".

That's relative.
What if the light has a switch or like someone above pointed out, some people use switch in their region?
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 09, 2021
Minjim:

That's relative.
What if the light has a switch or like someone above pointed out, some people use switch in their region?

Yeah it's relative but that is what the British use in that expression.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Goldmaxx(f): 1:19pm On Jan 09, 2021
alexsoftwork:
it's not, but if you must speak another man's language, speak it well.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 09, 2021
Next tomorrow grin
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Minjim: 1:30pm On Jan 09, 2021
CalliDora1:

Yeah it's relative but that is what the British use in that expression.

You're right.
That's Queens English.

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Dubetex96(m): 2:19pm On Jan 09, 2021
if you're interested in learning graphics design with your smart phone, company logo, video animation, flyer, business card App creation etc. Dm on WhatsApp 08162496897
All is free
2021 is a year to get over poverty ...
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by JABAIDO(m): 2:53pm On Jan 09, 2021
The5DME:
1) wedding ceremony
2)stand up
3)kneel down.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Tocynone(m): 4:21pm On Jan 09, 2021
No 5 - Check "Overmorrow"

1 Like

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by spy24(m): 4:25pm On Jan 09, 2021
Diffpussies:

2. Night Vigil

3. On/Off The Light

4. Reverse Back

5. Next Tomorrow

6. Cattle Rearer

7. Convocate

8. Plate Number

9. Barb/Barbing

10. Short Knicker

I don't think we have to speak exactly like the britons

We can evolve our own language

Australian US south Africa speak their own version of English
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Petyr1: 4:40pm On Jan 09, 2021
Instead of plate number or number plate why don't we use the simple term "licence plate"

2 Likes

Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by Oyiboman69: 4:42pm On Jan 09, 2021
I going to barb my air cos I have a birthday to attend
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by pegix(m): 4:58pm On Jan 09, 2021
Even stand up and sit down are no exception of blunders
And the phrase ""use to"" dat Doesn't exist in English
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by ikeno(m): 5:00pm On Jan 09, 2021
a licence plate should be appropriate because the plate contain both numbers and alphabets
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by sageprime(m): 5:02pm On Jan 09, 2021
Nigerians use am instead of I'm
Re: 10 Grammatical Blunders Nigerians Make Regularly by sweetMichael(m): 5:31pm On Jan 09, 2021
the number five is not a day after tomorrow, instead say over moro

(1) (2) (Reply)

BIMS And TETFUND Launches Digital Platform To Enhance Education Services / The Value Of Romanian Medical Schools-Quality EU Degree,Cheap Tuition fee / FED POLY (EDE) 2012/2013 First Batch List Coming Soon!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.