Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:58 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (186) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1647352 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 2:00am On May 14, 2021
bamiDee1:
Quick help on this scenario please

I-20 letter came with the below:
Personal funds: 24k
GA: 10k
Family funds: 5k

What I submitted to school:
SOA, Uncle: 25k
Personal: Approx 3m, eqv 6k

For DS-160 form filling, should I write the school to change family funds to be 24k while personal, 5k?

Or please how do I best complete this part on my DS-160 form?

Thanks in anticipation...

You might want to explain why your uncle will essentially set aside what amounts to his entire bank account to fund just one year of school for you.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 4:40am On May 14, 2021
tonero4urch:
Hello people, could you guys help with looking at this mock interview questions & answers and evaluate by constructive criticism etc.. Here it goes ;

Why are you going to the US?
A: I’m going to the US for my masters in Statistics ( Biostatistics concentration) in the department of Mathematics and Statistics at Georgia State University in Downtown Atlanta Georgia - USA.

Q: How Many Schools did you apply to?
A: 13 schools in the USA, 2 in Canada and 1 in Singapore

Q: How many of them offered you admission?
A: 6 of them offered me admission while others are still pending.

Q: Why Georgia State University ?
A: Apart from the fact that they offered me full tuition waiver, an employment and a monthly stipend, Georgia State University stands out for me because they match my objectives, training opportunities and field research . These are in line with my goal of being a lecturer after my Masters and PhD Programs. Also, apart from the fact that he has been helpful to me through out the admission process, I am particularly fascinated by the research work of Professor Gengsheng Qin. He researches on "statistical methods in diagnostic medicine and biological research" ; " survival analysis" etc which will be very effective in my quest to being a biostatistic lecturer of note after my PhD studies. I also chose this school because of its rich culture of faculty and student diversity.

Q: Where is Georgia state university located?
A: It is located in Downtown Atlanta Georgia USA.

Q: Why do you want to have this degree?
A: My dream is to impart knowledge to the younger generations and in order to do that having a masters and PhD degree will increase my market value when i return to my al mata (Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka) in Nigeria

Q: Who is your sponsor?
A: My school( Georgia State University) is sponsoring me. They offered me a tuition waiver with an employent as a graduate lab assistant and a monthly stipend. The deficit will be covered by my first cousin Mr Michael Uhuegbu.

Q: What does he do?
A: He is studying for his PhD in Vanderbilt University right now.

Q: Are you married?
A: Yes i am

Q: Do you have a relative in America?
A: I don't have a immediate relative but i have a first cousin by name Mr Michael Uhuegbu

Q: Why is he sponsoring?
A: He has been so passionate about my career and I told him about my ambitions. After i got my admission and he saw the funding deficit he immediately said he would cover it.

Q: Why do you want to study in the US?
A: Apart from the part that the US is known to have one of the best education system in the world having my education in the US will expose me to the advance practical and theoretical aspects of statistics. Also like I said having a master and PhD degree from an america university will do my credentials a whole lot of good on returning to my al mata Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka.

Q: How did you get to know this school?
A: After outlining my aims and objectives I decided to do a comprehensive search to find and filter schools in line with my goals. I did this by using google and other academic websites like USNEWS.com etc

Q: What is your study plan/What are the courses you’ll be taking?
A: It would take me about 28 months to complete the total of 30 credit hours ( comprising of 24 hours coursework and 6 hours thesis research). My courses include but not limited to Survival analysis, Advance methodologies in Biostatistics, Linear Statistical Analysis etc

Q: What’s your plan after graduation?
A: With my updated knowledge of the various aspects of Statistics and its application, I’ll be coming back home to the role of a lecturer in my al mata Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka.

Q: If I give you this visa, what will you do?
A: That means I have 28 months to equip myself with the theoretical and practical skills needed to be a lecturer and then I will head back to my al mata Nnamdi Azikiwe University Nigeria to take up a lecturer role and impact knowledge. My al Mata have since been experiencing dearth of statistics lecturers and i I would like to fill this void.

Thanks!

I'll point out a few mismatches;

Why do you want to have this degree? It will increase your market value? Sorry to ask are you in the transfer market like footballers? Please say something more convincing.

Also, do you have a relative in the US, you said no I don't have a relative, I have a first cousin? Really! isn't your cousin. Your relative?

You have to come off straight, once these VOs sense dilly-dallying with your responses, then your chances become slimmer.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JaySterling: 4:54am On May 14, 2021
Mide95:
hello sir. Please do you know of schools that still offer funding for Fall? Kindly help.
A lot of them offer funding. Just search google well

The basic requirement for getting funding is to have a good gre score, a good gpa etc
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by SomtoObu(f): 5:25am On May 14, 2021
SomtoObu:
Please I am in a fix. After filling the ds- 160 form
I want to schedule a visa but it is showing me locations in India
I used the link that was sent in the pdf for visa procedures here but it looks like that is the one for India
How do I rectify it
I tried updating the profile but it still hasn’t changed. It is still showing India
Please I am still waiting for a response
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jegzyman(m): 6:51am On May 14, 2021
Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by iamJfocus: 7:03am On May 14, 2021
Please I’m still waiting for comments on this..it would be appreciated.

iamJfocus:
Hello beautiful people..below is my proposed transcript. Please help scrutinize and point out where corrections should be made. Thank you and God bless y’all.

Transcript.

Q: Where are you going?
A: I’m going to Grand Valley State University for my Masters in Communication.

A: 2.

Q: Why GVSU?
A: GVSU stands out for me because the course offerings have concentrations that are inline with the role I will be performing as a Senior Sales Manager at XYZ after my Masters Program. Also, I am fascinated by the research work of Professor XYZ. He has a research going on which is focused on “how language targeting helps in ethnic advertising”. As a Senior Sales Manager, this research work would help me to make more informed advertising decisions that are detailed and very effective.

A: Presently, I work with XYZ as a Sales Executive. The Current Senior Sales Manager would be due for retirement in 2-3 years and one of the many requirements needed to fill in that post is a Masters Degree in Communication or a related Mgt course.

A: My uncle.

A: He’s a construction Engineer. He owns XYZ.

A: He has been so passionate about my career and he actually sponsored my undergraduate programs. I told him about the post of Senior Sales Manager that would be open at my current place of work in about 2-3 years and it requirements. He immediately told to me enroll for a masters program in the US and he would be sponsoring so that I can gain more advanced knowledge and intellectually fit in for the post.

A: The US is known to have one of the best education system in the world. I would love to be exposed to this kind of environment.

A: Carried out my research using google and other academic websites.

A: It would take me 24months to complete 36credit courses. For my first semester, I’ll be taking 3 courses while the remaining 8 in my 2nd, 3rd and 4th semester. My courses include Systems Theory and Comm, Empirical Methods in Comm, Emerging Comm Technologies, Leadership and Organizational Dynamics, Persuasion and couple others.

A: With my updated knowledge of the various aspects of professional communication and its application, I’ll be coming back home to write my promotion examination then take up the role of a Senior Sales Manager after a successful examination. Actually I’m on a study leave, so I have to be back in 2years. (On a long run,I intend working with them for a maximum of 5years while setting a stage to running my own advertising firm to power most business in Nig. while offering employment opportunities to Nigerians.) words in bracket might not be necessary

A: that means I have 24months of concentration to equip myself with advanced professional communication skill the head back to Nigerian to take up managerial roles and impact knowledge.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 8:05am On May 14, 2021
Jegzyman:
Hello, I greet everyone. My visa interview was rescheduled by the embassy from June 2 to June 10. Is that a good sign?

P.S; I have full funding as a graduate teaching assistant and will be going to the University of Minnesota.

It was due to the Salah break. A friend was also rescheduled from 2nd June
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pompeiimagnus: 8:33am On May 14, 2021
layez:
Baba, I don shoot you mail o..lool

@pompeiimagnus
Indaboski came for a visa interview and baba was just doing his thing jumping up and down later that day. I think he forgot to bring a document or so. People were laughing, if no be tension and say phone no dey, I for snap with am.

Before I entered self, person say make I go tap anointing from am... Taaaar

Lmao...Even Indaboski dey arrange him own Plan B.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 9:14am On May 14, 2021
ayofag:

It was due to the Salah break. A friend was also rescheduled from 2nd June

How does this week Sallah affect June 2nd. undecided

Peeps were rescheduled from June 2nd because of a new development at the US consulate in Lagos, F1 interviews will now be held at the Lagos Consulate only on Tuesdays and Thursdays (according to someone who got interviewed this week, they told them so at the consulate)

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ayofag(m): 9:40am On May 14, 2021
PotentialNurse:

Peeps were rescheduled from June 2nd because of a new development at the US consulate in Lagos, F1 interviews will now be held in Lagos only on Tuesdays and Thursdays (according to someone who got interviewed this week, they told them so at the consulate)

Okay�
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Candboy: 10:01am On May 14, 2021
Hello all! Good day and God bless us all. Please I'll like to know if anyone here can help me out with GMAT official guide 1-6 pack. Either soft copy or hard copy. Please I'll deeply appreciate it
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hemstone(m): 11:13am On May 14, 2021
So no more F1 Visa interviews in Abuja?
PotentialNurse:

Peeps were rescheduled from June 2nd because of a new development at the US consulate in Lagos, F1 interviews will now be held in Lagos only on Tuesdays and Thursdays (according to someone who got interviewed this week, they told them so at the consulate)
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 11:23am On May 14, 2021
Hemstone:
So no more F1 Visa interviews in Abuja?

F1 interviews still holds in Abuja. F1 Interview days only changed in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Francangel(f): 11:24am On May 14, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ManLikeMosh: 11:28am On May 14, 2021
Hello, Good day. A friend needs to show an account statement to balance up his deficit for I-20. Is it advisable to use his own personal account as compared to an uncle's or aunt's. Pls do give your opinion based on previous experiences. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TEMIT0PE: 11:45am On May 14, 2021
Whichever one is fine. So long as you can carefully answer what you (or your uncle/aunt) do for a living, and an inflow of money that is in consonance with what you say you (your uncle or aunt) do for a living.

ManLikeMosh:
Hello, Good day. A friend needs to show an account statement to balance up his deficit for I-20. Is it advisable to use his own personal account as compared to an uncle's or aunt's. Pls do give your opinion based on previous experiences. Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Asiwaju101: 11:54am On May 14, 2021
Hello people,
Good afternoon To u all
Pls are there no people pursuing undergraduate studies here?
If there’s anyone that has recently gone for their interview, denied or approved,
Pls share ur transcripts here�
Plsss

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Goddy001: 12:19pm On May 14, 2021
Asiwaju101:
Hello people,
Good afternoon To u all
Pls are there no people pursuing undergraduate studies here?
If there’s anyone that has recently gone for their interview, denied or approved,
Pls share ur transcripts here�
Plsss

Please kindly share your experience with us cry

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Miscellaneous(m): 1:39pm On May 14, 2021
Thanks to Walspring for helping with my sevis fee. You guys can use him

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Oluwathoyin: 1:48pm On May 14, 2021
tonero4urch:
Hello people, could you guys help with looking at this mock interview questions & answers and evaluate by constructive criticism etc.. Here it goes ;

A: I’m going to the US for my masters in Statistics ( Biostatistics concentration) in the department of Mathematics and Statistics at Georgia State University in Downtown Atlanta Georgia - USA.

Q: Why Georgia State University ?
A: Apart from the fact that they offered me full tuition waiver, an employment and a monthly stipend, Georgia State University stands out for me because they match my objectives, training opportunities and field research . These are in line with my goal of being a lecturer after my Masters and PhD Programs. Also, apart from the fact that he has been helpful to me through out the admission process, I am particularly fascinated by the research work of Professor Gengsheng Qin. He researches on "statistical methods in diagnostic medicine and biological research" ; " survival analysis" etc which will be very effective in my quest to being a biostatistic lecturer of note after my PhD studies. I also chose this school because of its rich culture of faculty and student diversity.

Q: Where is Georgia state university located?
A: It is located in Downtown Atlanta Georgia USA.

A: My dream is to impart knowledge to the younger generations and in order to do that having a masters and PhD degree will increase my market value when i return to my al mata (Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka) in Nigeria

A: My school( Georgia State University) is sponsoring me. They offered me a tuition waiver with an employent as a graduate lab assistant and a monthly stipend. The deficit will be covered by my first cousin Mr Michael Uhuegbu.

A: He is studying for his PhD in Vanderbilt University right now.

Q: Are you married?
A: Yes i am

Q: Do you have a relative in America?
A: I don't have a immediate relative but i have a first cousin by name Mr Michael Uhuegbu

A: He has been so passionate about my career and I told him about my ambitions. After i got my admission and he saw the funding deficit he immediately said he would cover it.

A: Apart from the part that the US is known to have one of the best education system in the world having my education in the US will expose me to the advance practical and theoretical aspects of statistics. Also like I said having a master and PhD degree from an america university will do my credentials a whole lot of good on returning to my al mata Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka.

A: After outlining my aims and objectives I decided to do a comprehensive search to find and filter schools in line with my goals. I did this by using google and other academic websites like USNEWS.com etc

A: It would take me about 28 months to complete the total of 30 credit hours ( comprising of 24 hours coursework and 6 hours thesis research). My courses include but not limited to Survival analysis, Advance methodologies in Biostatistics, Linear Statistical Analysis etc

A: With my updated knowledge of the various aspects of Statistics and its application, I’ll be coming back home to the role of a lecturer in my al mata Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka.

A: That means I have 28 months to equip myself with the theoretical and practical skills needed to be a lecturer and then I will head back to my al mata Nnamdi Azikiwe University Nigeria to take up a lecturer role and impact knowledge. My al Mata have since been experiencing dearth of statistics lecturers and i I would like to fill this void.

Thanks!
Your program is for 28months please, did you fill 28months or 2years as intended length of stay on your DS-form? Or what did you fill? My program is for 28 months too.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JaySterling: 2:30pm On May 14, 2021
Oluwathoyin:
Your program is for 28months please, did you fill 28months or 2years as intended length of stay on your DS-form? Or what did you fill? My program is for 28 months too.
Fill in the duration in months.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by thoughtT: 3:53pm On May 14, 2021
Thanks to Walspring for helping with my sevis fee payment. He's not only prompt but his charges are quite reasonable. You should contact him if you need to pay yours.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by gerona: 3:58pm On May 14, 2021
Hello House,

I am currently filling my D1-20 Form, can someone please assist with how to fill the column on accommodation. I will be travelling with 2 dependents, how do I go about this, please?.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 4:01pm On May 14, 2021
Oluwathoyin:

There is a dropdown box that ask you to input it either in "years", "months" etc and i clicked "months" and put it in "months" because there was no way I can put "2 years 4 months" there.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by frapzkid: 4:17pm On May 14, 2021
pompeiimagnus:

Lmao...Even Indaboski dey arrange him own Plan B.
Did they give him visa
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigerianScholar: 4:19pm On May 14, 2021
Asiwaju101:

Hopefully I’ll be added now�

Seen
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by EffectEn: 4:19pm On May 14, 2021
13 schools??
Wow

I don't think you have to mention other countries, stick to US.

tonero4urch:

!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ktancing(m): 6:00pm On May 14, 2021
Good evening my Ogas

Please is it okay to go thr embassy with $34k on statement for a $24 cost of attendance on I-20?

Hope it's not too small?

Please share your views.

Note: The bank statement is for an uncle.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Asiwaju101: 7:19pm On May 14, 2021
Goddy001:

Please kindly share your experience with us cry

My transcript
31st December 2020
Denied
Lagos
15k funding

VO: Good morning
Me: Good morning sir,happy new year in advance.
VO: (smiles) Thanks
VO: where are u going to
me: Am going to idaho
VO: Why did u choose idaho state
Me: because that's the state my school is located
VO: is that y you choose the school?
Me: oh!there are lots of reasons y I chose the school (nods head,looks interested),apart from been given a 15k funding,
In terms of accreditation,out of the 4 schools I got admitted into the university of idaho has the highest accreditation a business school should have, which is the AACSB accreditation,its the association of advance collegiate school of business, this accreditation ensures that business school graduate learns from the best and are ready to perform at any time.

Having spoken to each representative of all university I got admitted into, professor Michael dorathey of the university of Idaho was the one the convinced me more on what I stand to get as an international student(nods head), like training opportunity,research opportunity,and some personal programs like critical thinking,that will help me to be a better person (cuts me off)

VO: do mean other schools aren't good enough?
Me: no, after my research on alll schools i find out that the university of Idaho suit my dreams best.

VO: Name the university you got admitted into
Me: Louisiana state university,park university,Murray state university, university of Idaho
VO: when did u graduate from high school
Me: 2015
VO: what have u been doing since then
Me: in 2015 I was 16 years then, the government of Nigeria impose a law on top university in Nigeria because of the. Security issues the country was facing as at then.
My father didn't want me to stay home for 2 years, he enrolled me in an ICT program, where I was thought computer programming and after then my father enrolled me in one of his automotive training center,where I have been.
VO: are u married
Me: (looks surprised) No
VO: do u have children
Me: No
VO: whos ur sponsor
Me: I.mentioned

He started typing for a long while,smile was on my face hoping I'll get the visa, to my surprise it was the reverse.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bamiDee1(m): 8:10pm On May 14, 2021
Hello All,

A quick one please. How many days does it take for visa to be available at the pick up point after interview?

Regards

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JaySterling: 8:27pm On May 14, 2021
bamiDee1:
Hello All,

A quick one please. How many days does it take for visa to be available at the pick up point after interview?

Regards
3-5 working days

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by JaySterling: 8:32pm On May 14, 2021
ktancing:
Good evening my Ogas

Please is it okay to go thr embassy with $34k on statement for a $24 cost of attendance on I-20?

Hope it's not too small?

Please share your views.

Note: The bank statement is for an uncle.
Your statement of account (SOA) should always be higher than the cost of attendance (COA). In your case, yours is higher with about $10k, which is quite okay.

The VO wants to see that you can afford at least the first year of your education without problems, if you don’t have funding.

The only question you would face is why your uncle would want to spend such money on you.

Doesn’t he have his own kids ?

Expect questions like;
How many children does he have ?
How many staffs does he have
What is his monthly income

Etc

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.