Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,184 members, 7,860,251 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:21 AM

Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful (1303 Views)

PLEASE HELP.. I Can't Move My Left Hand (picture) / Lichtenberg Figure: The scars Left On Lightning Strike Survivors (Photos) / Please I Need A Doctor Help. I Have Pains Coming From Chest And Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Explorers(m): 6:52pm On Jan 09, 2021
To all parents, uncles, Sisters, 'Elders' and teachers.

Stop the Madness already.....

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Explorers(m): 6:53pm On Jan 09, 2021
Reactions

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by doggedfighter(f): 7:05pm On Jan 09, 2021
Africa
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by starbuck(f): 7:14pm On Jan 09, 2021
Welcome back Explorer grin grin

Meanwhile, i am on this table embarassed embarassed.. My 11 year old son was left handed till my mom and dh beat the crap out of him as they said it was a disrespect, at the moment, i think it's affecting him academically because he lags behind in his academic work... If only i stood up for him then cry cry cry.. It's well, I still have hope because he is perfectly doing well in handiwork..

7 Likes

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by joseph1832(m): 7:15pm On Jan 09, 2021
Well people still believe using your left hand to do anything is wrong. No matter what you type and how you portray it, typical Nigerians, especially the illiterate ones will never agree.

A trip to your village will convince you thoroughly. Try using your left hand to serve your village elders food. grin

1 Like

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by MJBOLT: 7:20pm On Jan 09, 2021
some of them will still come here to defend their stupidity instead of learning from their mistakes

1 Like

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by iamyemiakins(m): 7:29pm On Jan 09, 2021
You can change some things about our culture in Nigeria, but you see this one, nobody fit tamper with am!

But it's actually wrong oppressing or forcefully trying to convert left-handed people.

1 Like

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Karleb(m): 7:33pm On Jan 09, 2021
There's nothing wrong with being left handed but when you want to give people something, give with your right hand. Generally, Africans find it disrespectful when you hand things over to them with left hand.

But converting a left handed child to a right handed one should be a criminal offense.
It is synonymous to converting a right handed child to a left handed one. Just imagine that horror for a second.

1 Like

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by hakeem4(m): 7:34pm On Jan 09, 2021
Karleb:
There's nothing wrong with being left handed but when you want to give people something, give with your right hand. Generally, Africans find it disrespectful when you hand things over to them with left hand.

But converting a left handed child to a right handed one should be a criminal offense.
It is synonymous to converting a right handed child to a left handed one. Just imagine that horror for a second.

In my opinion I don’t find issuing or receiving with your left hand disrespectful in anyway.

I think we need to look into our culture to change somethings.

if not for Mary slessor we’d still be killing by wings in calabar and some elderly people would call it tradition

4 Likes

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Explorers(m): 7:37pm On Jan 09, 2021
Karleb:

Why bro

But if you give the elders keys to a new car or cheque, they will gladly collect.

Some rich people, guys on date/dinner eat with left(knife on the right and fork on the left).

5 Likes

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Omoluabi16(m): 7:39pm On Jan 09, 2021
As a left handed person, I can relate. I don't know about other tribes, but my people (The elderly ones) will have your head if you ever offer them the left hand. I struggled growing up, but now It has become natural for me to use my right hand when dealing with people. Everybody conforms to society. Even some religion paints the right side, right seat or right hand as the blessed good or perfect one. Laslas there's nothing wrong with the left hand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by sod09(m): 7:49pm On Jan 09, 2021
As a left handed person I find it disrespectful people judge or try to correct me. But I do give them fvck you or I don't give a fvck
Even my parents resign to do such
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by ChemicalReaction(f): 8:00pm On Jan 09, 2021
The struggles are real.
Been a left-handed female makes it all worse.

Dear parents,

Be close to your kids. Love them the way they are. Been left-handed isn't a curse. You should be their shield when everyone out there makes fun of them.
Been in nursery school is a critical time; if you don't get it right, this could wreck a child's self esteem.

One day, I'll just calm down and talk about the challenges I went through in the hands of my Nursery three Teacher. AHH.. This woman flogged me till I learnt to write with my right hand. cry
On several occasions, I remained in class with her while others left for break because she wants to monitor me while I struggled with my pencil. Oftentimes, I refused to eat my lunch, not because I wasn't hungry but because of the fear of not been able to handle my spoon. Sometimes, she'd tell other kids to shame me cos of my inability to use my right hand.

Slowly, I became withdrawn. Nothing seemed interesting. Everyday, I'd cry before going to school. My mum thought it was normal fear kids had for school.

Thank God for my Dad who was observant enough to notice that I kept changing hands intermittently while writing. While he encouraged me to use my left hand, I told him my teacher would flog me. Being an adult, he talked me into reporting my teacher's abuse. Omohh.. The next day, my Dad reported to the school management and that was how I gained freedom.

Till date, I write with my right hand but do every other thing with the left.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Beremx(f): 8:15pm On Jan 09, 2021
I am left handed. I use my left to work but i use my right hand to write because I was corrected by my parents.

My niece who is a lefty does all the above mentioned by explorers
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by longetivity(m): 8:23pm On Jan 09, 2021
most of the leftist are intelligent

2 Likes

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by adadike(f): 8:26pm On Jan 09, 2021
I am left handed as well. Mom tried to stop it, she succeeded in my writing and eating abilities. Every other thing is left. Dancing, cooking, domestic chores etc
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by PrinceJoeWan(m): 8:26pm On Jan 09, 2021
Only heaven knew what I went through but today, I still eat with my left sometimes and write with it always.
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by tillaman(m): 9:32pm On Jan 09, 2021
I’mma Proud Lefty!!
Left handed folks are extra ordinary people
Show us some respect
Although my parent accepted me for me but I had issues with my teachers then my parents told them to leave me be!! Here we are today proudly flying the Lefty flag
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 09, 2021
I'm sorry to say this but tell this to the Yorubas.
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 09, 2021
Personally I don't reject items coming from either hands. If you dash me 20k with your left hand omo i go use my right hand collect the money. #WeMove
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by NiklauseFred(m): 10:04pm On Jan 09, 2021
Lol this actually happened today.
I went to one of my neighbours to buy snacks(as lunch) when I got there,told her what I wanted,she gave me the snacks oo Na so I mistakenly put left hand for pocket o,bring out money give this woman,she frowned her face,then I realized my mistake.Na so I jejely carry the money and the snacks go my shop.

since she never ready to collect the money,me I ready to collect the food joor

modified
She came to my shop and reported to my boss,my boss still gave her the money with left hand and she collected grin

Na so me and Oga dey laugh for shop

E be like say oga explorer go vacation for twitter oo

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Effulgent(m): 10:51pm On Jan 09, 2021
NiklauseFred:
I went to one of my neighbours to buy snacks(as lunch) when I got there,told her what I wanted,she gave me the snacks oo Na so I mistakenly put left hand for pocket o,bring out money give this woman,she frowned her face,then I realized my mistake.Na do I jejely carry the money and the snacks go my shop.

modified
She came to my shop and reported to my boss,my boss still gave her the money with left hand and she collected grin

grin

Best thing I've ead today, really cracked me up
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by oluwole70525: 11:49pm On Jan 09, 2021
most of the leftist are intelligent

1 Like

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by dfrost: 12:51am On Jan 10, 2021
Let me park here. I get plenty experiences to narrate on top this matter. Make day break first.
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by tobechi74: 1:01am On Jan 10, 2021
Some tradition and cult should be scrapped
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by DelTel(m): 1:03am On Jan 10, 2021
grin
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Deejay1000(m): 1:56am On Jan 10, 2021
I'm also on this table
My mom told me she used to beat me while I was little because of my left hand till my primary school teacher advised her to let me be.
I do everything with my left hand except eating
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Protein0: 2:12am On Jan 10, 2021
Only lefties are in their RIGHT minds. wink

1 Like

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by adefemi007(m): 3:48am On Jan 10, 2021
Tell them o. Some sellers would even reject money cause you used left hand to give them money
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Sixfeetbelle: 1:45pm On Jan 10, 2021
NiklauseFred:
I went to one of my neighbours to buy snacks(as lunch) when I got there,told her what I wanted,she gave me the snacks oo Na so I mistakenly put left hand for pocket o,bring out money give this woman,she frowned her face,then I realized my mistake.Na do I jejely carry the money and the snacks go my shop.

modified

grin grin grin grin

Thank you for this. That your Oga na real guy man.

If you had given her 100k with your left hand, she would have accepted it without any stress. Nonsense and ingredients.

1 Like

Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by eyeon(m): 2:31pm On Jan 10, 2021
I've never rejected money given to me from a left hand. Why then should I reject anything else coming from a left hand?
Re: Using Left-hand To Write, Eat, Give Or Take Is Not Wrong/Disrespectful by Flexherbal(m): 3:43pm On Jan 10, 2021
The 2 nor be hand?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Body Odor Home Remedies / Boko Haram Sends Thousands Of Poisoned Fruits To The South West.. / Cure For Anti Malaria In SAUDI ARABIA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.