Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,632 members, 7,847,645 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 11:14 PM

What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? (3709 Views)

What Is The Difference Between A Lake, A River, And A Stream? / What's The Difference Between Med Lab Science And Med Lab Tech / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Ogamysamo: 1:26pm On Jan 16, 2021
english is too heavy as compared to our local dialect and such had confused many including me in several areas where a thing with a specific name in our nigerian languages will be called in two or more ways in english. sometime different and sometime similar which has to be used differently.

now here am i facing another tough time experience when going in and out of the strange but friendly mr. english

come across mr. advise and meet another mr. advice not sure if they are both correct or one is wrong
and the worst part is that i don't see any difference in their pronounciation

what is the difference that these two things here(advise&advice) have please?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Kriss216: 1:27pm On Jan 16, 2021
Offence
Offense

Center
Centre

I’m confused with these words.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 16, 2021
Arrrrrrrh

Advise is a verb meaning “to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following.”
Advice is a noun meaning “an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.”

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by 99thEnemy(m): 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2021
Kriss216:

Offence - (every other)
Offense - (US only)

Center - (American)
Centre - (British)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Ogamysamo: 1:40pm On Jan 16, 2021
Kriss216:
Offence Offense

Center Centre

english is too cruel e no de pity person even for small

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by SirWarlock: 1:48pm On Jan 16, 2021
Advice - noun
Advise - verb. To give advice

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by rossychik(f): 2:13pm On Jan 16, 2021
Advice noun
Advise verb
That's why we have advised,( past tense)
advises(singular verb)
Also, the stress is on different syllable
ADvice and adVISE

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 16, 2021
Ogamysamo:
english is too heavy as compared to our local dialect and such had confused many including me in several areas where a thing with a specific name in our nigerian languages will be called in two or more ways in english. sometime different and sometime similar which has to be used differently.

now here am i facing another tough time experience when going in and out of the strange but friendly mr. english

come across mr. advise and meet another mr. advice not sure if they are both correct or one is wrong

Advice > noun
Advise > verb.

Now "advice" is a noun because it's a name of a thing and can only be used as a thing in a sentence. Eg, I want to "give" you a piece of "advice" that is, giving a "thing"

While "advise" is a verb. a doing word therefore can only function as an action you do in a sentence. Eg I will "advise" him that is you doing it > action>verb.

Hope it clear enough.

Just like practice and practise.

You practise ( verb you doing it) for a football match

The practice ( noun , the "thing" being referred to) for football match is ongoing.

There are so many like that.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by daddytime(m): 2:48pm On Jan 16, 2021
Ogamysamo:

and the worst part is that i don't see any difference in their pronounciation Pronunciation

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by pegix(m): 2:49pm On Jan 16, 2021
CalliDora1:

Advice > noun
Advise > verb.

Now "advice" is a noun because it's a name of a thing and can only be used as a thing in a sentence. Eg, I want to "give" you a piece of "advice" that is, giving a "thing"

While "advise" is a verb. a doing word therefore can only function as an action you do in a sentence. Eg I will "advise" him that is you doing it > action>verb.

Hope it clear enough.

The practice ( noun , the "thing" being referred to) for football match is ongoing.

Boom that's all u need OP
All truth
Some other words that exist like dix include
Practise and practice
Safe and save
Defense and defence
License and licence

Note: while some of these words indicate which word is noun or verb
Some shows which is british or american word

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Collins4u1(m): 3:11pm On Jan 16, 2021
Kriss216:
Offence
Offense

Center
Centre

American and British English words with different spelling.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by alphaNomega: 3:41pm On Jan 16, 2021
Advice is a noun

Advise is a verb

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by YorubaPrince: 3:56pm On Jan 16, 2021
Kriss216:
Offence
Offense

Center
Centre

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 16, 2021
Ogamysamo:

Advice is a noun. To advise is a verb. You adviSe someone when you give them adviCe.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by VictorUSA(m): 4:34pm On Jan 16, 2021
Advice - Advise - the A in advice is for "apple" while the A in advise is for alcohol.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:41pm On Jan 16, 2021
Ogamysamo:

There is No Difference but their Distinction lies in the aim and goal of their Use, that is based on the purposes that they are being Used For.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Petyr1: 4:49pm On Jan 16, 2021
Been
Being
Difference please
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Dtruthspeaker: 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2021
Kriss216:
Offence
Offense

Center
Centre

Like Collins4u said, the Americans wanted to separate themselves from the British whom they hated (for if you know their history, the first American settlers were British wicked criminals who were moved to the Americas because they were still a Serious threat to the British Society) so they altered or substituted many English words with one of their own making and creation, which if you examine you would see it was along their illiteracy lines (for most criminals then were illiterates) and therefore they were slangs and spellings as given by the criminals .

So offense, advice, center are simply words spelled as pronounced by illiterates or semi-literates.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by edoairways: 5:02pm On Jan 16, 2021
Kriss216:
Offence
Offense

Center
Centre

Both ‘offence’ and ‘offense’ are correct and have the same meaning. The spelling ‘offense’ should be used in American publications, while ‘offence’ is better suited for publications in other English-speaking regions.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by promisedeco(m): 5:56pm On Jan 16, 2021
Petyr1:
Been
Being
Difference please
Been is the part participle of be. E.g I have been waiting for you.
Being is the present continuous form of be E.g Being the best is important

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by gungab(m): 6:37pm On Jan 16, 2021
Learning
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Dracking(m): 6:47pm On Jan 16, 2021
Kriss216:
Offence
Offense

Center
Centre

British English and American English. Colour and color

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by mu2sa2: 7:34pm On Jan 16, 2021
I adviSe you to be wary of some of the adviCe posted here.
Got it?
"Advise" is a verb.
"Advice" is a noun.
Note the pronunciation (often disregarded by most Nigerians):
In adviSe the "s" sounds as "z"; while in adviCe the "c" is pronounced as "s"

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by ucnwadike: 8:31pm On Jan 16, 2021
Absolutely spot on.
I was going to say this.
SirWarlock:
Advice - noun
Advise - verb. To give advice
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Martins004(m): 9:07pm On Jan 16, 2021
Just USA and American english
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 16, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Like Collins4u said, the Americans wanted to separate themselves from the British whom they hated (for if you know their history, the first American settlers were British wicked criminals who were moved to the Americas because they were still a Serious threat to the British Society) so they altered or substituted many English words with one of their own making and creation, which if you examine you would see it was along their illiteracy lines (for most criminals then were illiterates) and therefore they were slangs and spellings as given by the criminals .

So offense, advice, center are simply words spelled as pronounced by illiterates or semi-literates.

I beg to disagree a little here on the word "advice" being an American spelling. It is not. It's a noun form of *advise".

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Yuceeluv(f): 9:37pm On Jan 16, 2021
I'm surprised to see that many here see the difference to be just US and UK English .

You can not say; I will "advice " you to...it's wrong.

In the same vein, you can not say; "someone should help me with an "advise."...also wrong.

Advice is a Noun
Advise is a Verb.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by tchidi066(f): 10:11pm On Jan 16, 2021
One is a noun, one is a verb
I am advising(verb) you to yield to my advice (noun)

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Ogamysamo: 10:13pm On Jan 16, 2021
VictorUSA:
the A in advice is for "apple" while the A in advise is for alcohol.
na wa o
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Ogamysamo: 10:44pm On Jan 16, 2021
CalliDora1:

Advice > noun
Advise > verb.

Hope it clear enough.

i grab

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice And Advise? by Ogamysamo: 10:46pm On Jan 16, 2021
[quote author=daddytime post=98122954][/quote]
thanks for the correction i appreciate

(1) (2) (Reply)

300 Level LASU Female Student Is Making It Huge In Agriculture (Photos) / Just funny Animal memes / How Can I Get Poly Jamb Form/scratch Card

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.