Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline (18856 Views)

How Arik Air Became Moribund Under AMCON In 5 Years — Vanguard / Arik Air To Be Renamed Nigeria Eagle / No AC On The Plane Arik Air Put Us - Man Laments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by NwaNimo1(m): 9:56pm On Jan 17, 2021
Indigenous debt-ridden airline, Arik Air, has refused to speak on the move by the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria to use its aviation assets especially planes to launch a multibillion naira airline.

The PUNCH had exclusively reported that the new international airline planned by AMCON, to be named Nigeria Eagle, may take to the sky with at least 10 planes as early as June, according to insiders.

It was also learnt that AMCON, a Federal Government-owned bad debt manager which owns controlling stakes in both Arik and Aero Contractors, chose to establish the new airline as a clever means of wriggling out of the multibillion naira liabilities currently hanging on the two carriers.

The debts are believed to be hindering new buyers from showing interest in the two carriers which AMCON has been willing to sell to new investors.

Arik Air is said to owe up to N300bn in debt, one which experts have said it is impossible to defray quickly even if the airline pays N10bn yearly.

AMCON was established by the Federal Government in 2010 to buy over bad debts from commercial banks in order to save the banking system from imminent collapse. This followed the 2009 financial industry crisis in the country.

Arik Air’s Public Relations and Communications Manager, Banji Ola, however, refused to speak on the matter but directed our correspondent to speak with AMCON.

When asked on Sunday whether the airline was aware of the development, the spokesman said, “Ask AMCON. AMCON is the one floating the carrier. Once you get its reaction, you don’t need to get anything from me.”

Meanwhile, AMCON is expected to make an official statement on the deal very soon.

But experts have opined that the new airline would be greeted with lots of litigations as the original owners of the fleets would kick against the development.

Arik Air, which was founded in 2002 by its Chairman, Joseph Arumemi-Ikhide, grew its fleet size to over 22 planes and was travelling to over 16 destinations before it was taken over by AMCON in February 2017. The airline has also sacked hundreds of workers in the last few months.

https://punchng.com/arik-air-keeps-mum-on-amcons-planned-international-airline/

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by ArinzeAnthony03: 10:01pm On Jan 17, 2021
I am the first to comment... please I dedicate this to Manchester United and all our fans all over the world...to my mum and to my friends...I just made it in life...kudos to me... and you that allowed me to comment first in peace...go and sleep please

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Rafeeki: 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
Ehys
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Joshualee: 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
D Airline service sef poor .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by WhiteIverson: 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
Nigerian eagle kwa?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by oluwaseunamos33(m): 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
Ok
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Kemistri4(m): 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
Wow
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Patrioticman007(m): 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
ArinzeAnthony03:
I am the first to comment...noooo

Congratulations, may success meet you at the speed of your data.

8 Likes

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by aBrokeRichDude: 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2021
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by sexyeyes(f): 10:03pm On Jan 17, 2021
Third to comment ooooh
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by abdulkabirO(m): 10:03pm On Jan 17, 2021

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by 5ine: 10:03pm On Jan 17, 2021

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Kalapizim(m): 10:03pm On Jan 17, 2021
They better get their acts together on time. This year is going to be tough with competition from new carriers and existing oness who have already made moves to increase their fleets.

As for me i stopped flying Arik since 2018 since dem do me serious strong thing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by vas2net(m): 10:03pm On Jan 17, 2021
Interesting!
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Kemistri4(m): 10:04pm On Jan 17, 2021

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by ABIODUN105(m): 10:04pm On Jan 17, 2021
It is well

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by PHijo(m): 10:04pm On Jan 17, 2021
I won't be surprised if Air Peace is taken over by AMCON in the future.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by bigdammyj: 10:04pm On Jan 17, 2021
Noted

1 Like

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by sagitariusbaby(m): 10:05pm On Jan 17, 2021
This was supposed to be the most successful airline in the country but bad business management and political gimmicks brought it down

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Kalapizim(m): 10:06pm On Jan 17, 2021
sagitariusbaby:
This was supposed to be the most successful airlines in the country but bad business management and political gimmicks brought it down
True talk sir

4 Likes

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Proarc: 10:07pm On Jan 17, 2021
The debt is too huge, even if they pay back 10bn yearly, they can’t pay back anytime soon.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by FalseProphet1(m): 10:08pm On Jan 17, 2021
I don't see arik air coming out of this mess. I see them being overtaken. I see them become history
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 17, 2021
alright
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by ipobarethieves: 10:17pm On Jan 17, 2021
sad
Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Okoroawusa: 10:23pm On Jan 17, 2021
Na their way during the days of PDP. Debts everywhere before you know bank don fold. A nice work by AMCON.

Abeg can someone help me check if Senator Ben Bruce has paid his #11b Union Bank Plc loan...

Ndi osi na ndi ama... shior!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by excessmon(m): 10:27pm On Jan 17, 2021
Can u learn to comment constructively next time .... thanks and good night
ArinzeAnthony03:
I am the first to comment... please I dedicate this to Manchester United and all our fans all over the world...to my mum and to my friends...I just made it in life...kudos to me... and you that allowed me to comment first in peace...go and sleep please

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by abisolagladys(f): 10:28pm On Jan 17, 2021
Please why are they owing
Are they not making profit??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Arik Air Keeps Mum On AMCON’s Planned International Airline by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jan 17, 2021
It is well

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Visa Lottery Winner, Other Arrested Over Scam Marriage / 53-Year-Old Bridge Collapse After Heavy Downpour In Shendam, Plateau / Several People Feared Dead As Tanker Explodes In Benue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.