Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,257 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? (11454 Views)

Love In NYSC Camp: OCI Foundation Founder Marks 15th Marriage Anniversary / 15th Marriage Anniversary / Today Is My 10th Year Marriage Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Smile4mee01: 1:59pm On Jan 19, 2021
Sometimes I take a look back on marriages in my family and the society and see where exorbitant amounts were spent on wedding ceremonies only for the marriages to hit the rocks a few years later.

Is it not better to celebrate 20/30/40 years wedding anniversary than the wedding itself? Because that way one can take stock of one's life, see how either partner has been a blessing to each other, and move on.

Even in university admission, Matriculation is not celebrated as much, but graduation. Even graduation comes with mixed reactions because you never know if you will get a job with it, or even keep it away ad hustle in business.

I remember weddings of Tiwa savage, toke makinwa that year. E loud, Even the FCMB saga banker who died, celebrated his wedding not knowing what the future held. We often forget the risk involved. Many men and women have had their lives worsened via the marriage intuition. Some have also made their lives better.

Also, Almost all marriages had prayers in it. before and after prayers, was it that those prayers were not answered or what went wrong?

In a nutshell, I believe and support marriages. I just don't think it makes no sense to go over and beyond celebrating marriages nowadays with the inherent risk of the union ending up. I would rather spend on an anniversary, on my partner, celebrating and thanking God for a successful union so far.

All of these things make me observe.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by NextD18: 2:05pm On Jan 19, 2021
The question should be; Must we celebrate??

Celebration of wedding isn't a sure guarantee that the marriage will work out. And at the same time, celebration of marriage anniversary isn't also a sure yardstick to measure or weigh the happiness of the marriage.

Celebrations these days are most times, just for gram and shouldn't be used as a tool to judge or conclude the success and happiness of people.

Thanks.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Smile4mee01: 2:09pm On Jan 19, 2021
NextD18:
cheesy

Oga, why you dey laugh.

The matter get as e be abi e be as e get....lol

But on a serious note, the events and times require both men and women to calm down and observe. Dont be too anxious about getting married and all. Just get married, observe.

1 Like

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Smile4mee01: 2:19pm On Jan 19, 2021
NextD18:
The question should be; Must we celebrate??

Celebration of wedding isn't a sure guarantee that the marriage will work out. And at the same time, celebration of marriage anniversary isn't also a sure yardstick to measure or weigh the happiness of the marriage.

Celebrations these days are most times, just for gram and shouldn't be used as a tool to judge or conclude the success and happiness of people.

Thanks.

Hmnn. This one deep oo. Must we even celebrate ? Some people will come with the argument that it is religious, cultural and all.

I get your drift though, couples should not equate celebrating weddings as a gurantee that the marriage will work. Even for those who don't celebrate, it does not gurantee a succesful marriage.

But will our women agree to get married without any celebration?

5 Likes

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by NextD18: 2:21pm On Jan 19, 2021
Smile4mee01:

Hmnn. This one deep oo. Must we even celebrate ? Some people will come with the argument that it is religious, cultural and all.

I get your drift though, couples should not equate celebrating weddings as a gurantee that the marriage will work. Even for those who don't celebrate, it does not gurantee a succesful marriage.

But will our women agree to get married without any celebration?
No! Because the celebration is one of the major reasons they get married.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by anthonyuncle(m): 6:19pm On Jan 20, 2021
celebrate anyone you feel like celebrating, but don't let it push you into depts

6 Likes

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 20, 2021
I feel the both should be celebrated. One, because wedding is a once in a lifetime event. Two, because anniversary is something worth calling for celebration as it's not easy being able to stick together amidst all the storms of marriage throughout the year. So, both calls for celebration and a big one at that.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by ogashman(m): 7:00pm On Jan 20, 2021
To me...it's pointless celebrating weddings or their anniversary.

I have chosen for my Wedding to be celebrated low key with few family and friends and lest I forget it's going to be just a court wedding. after which we proceed to the small reception.

in this part of the world, we attach so much value in glamorous wedding celebrations, forgetting that their more to marriage than having an elaborate wedding which most times is jus to impress the public.

I'm not following the bandwagon..... mine would be different.

abeg check my signature to place orders for your duvets

6 Likes

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Liposure: 8:00pm On Jan 20, 2021
Anniversary is worth celebrating. Wedding is once but marriage is a journey you cannot predict.

1 Like

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Bola146(f): 10:36pm On Jan 20, 2021
Wedding anniversary is to be celebrated. Both wedding and anniversary can be celebrated in a low key. I love my privacy

2 Likes

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by punisha: 8:48am On Sep 16, 2021
I still am regretting doing that useless white wedding and spending extravagantly on a one day event that isn't mandatory but just because we want to copy whites.

Even had to ask MC to get to closing remark so everyone can eat and go home the moment we realized we weren't making sense of what was going on around us.
I mean even people who didnt like us practically were shinning teeth and dancing...
Like who u dey whine? My food should be choking u for all I know Sef.

Been 6 years of bliss and I look forward to every years anniversary and would advice anyone with ears, do not waste money copying oyibo when at the end of day you won't even see a quarter of what u invested Abi spent. Unless u have president as your papa, then go ahead.

Use that money for white wedding, travel to Dubai or Santorini...other nice places exist like langkawi in Malaysia. Nice tourist bubbling locations plenty. One week expense won't even be up to the 3m u will spend in one day to please mostly people u won't even know came for the wedding.
Cooking for 600people...like wtf?!
This topic alone is vexing me. I feel like slapping myself again walahi

13 Likes

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Dproperties: 8:48am On Sep 16, 2021
Marriage
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by GOFRONT(m): 8:48am On Sep 16, 2021
In my own area over here, people now celebrate breakup of Marriages...
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by FactBoyz: 8:48am On Sep 16, 2021
grin
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Sonnobax15(m): 8:48am On Sep 16, 2021
cool
Well, personally,I prefer marriage anniversary to wedding ceremony abi whatever.....It could be used as a format of rekindling love in the home cheesy
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Jayslyder: 8:48am On Sep 16, 2021
The one Wey your money reach
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Onyi22(f): 8:49am On Sep 16, 2021
I see Uselessness in Men
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by udoka55555: 8:50am On Sep 16, 2021
Anniversary

5 Likes

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Goldbw122(m): 8:50am On Sep 16, 2021
During wedding and marriage anniversary, quarrel and fight still occur yes so it is not about the marriage celebration or the wedding anniversary, it is about the love and understanding the couple have for each other..
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:51am On Sep 16, 2021
Is wedding not a marriage ceremony?
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by WibusJaga: 8:55am On Sep 16, 2021

It's mostly the woman that puts pressure for elaborate wedding celebrations.
Left to the man, he won't mind serving only groundnuts & biscuits with pure water. Then carry him wife enter house. grin

6 Likes

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Famocious(m): 8:59am On Sep 16, 2021
Why can't we celebrate the two? undecided
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by DuduParaPara: 9:01am On Sep 16, 2021
Hmmmmm

That's why one is called wedding (1 day event) and the other is called marriage (life time event).

People spend a lot of money on their wedding (to please others so they say their wedding was the talk of the town) and live from hand to mouth or live paying off debt in the marriage.

Marriage is more important than the wedding IMO.

No matter how you wish for your wedding to be the talk of the town, by the next weekend, another wedding would have taken the spotlight.

Example, look at Dangote's daughter's wedding, it had all the billionaires and who-is-who in attendance. Guess what?? No one talked about it after 2 weeks. The euphoria was gone.

But till tomorrow we still talk about celebrities and known people who have spent long years in their marriage.

We celebrate wedding only once but we celebrate marriage anniversary every year.

Do the math yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Romanoff(f): 9:06am On Sep 16, 2021
Celebrate each milestone of your life o. Birthday, wedding anniversary, work anniversary, celebrate all.

In a time when marriages end in months, celebrate each year and intensify prayers and improve on how to make your marriage better.

Say other people own spoil no mean say you no go happy say your own good.
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by FullBlastLight: 9:07am On Sep 16, 2021
ogashman:
To me...it's pointless celebrating weddings or their anniversary.

I have chosen for my Wedding to be celebrated low key with few family and friends and lest I forget it's going to be just a court wedding. after which we proceed to the small reception.

in this part of the world, we attach so much value in glamorous wedding celebrations, forgetting that their more to marriage than having an elaborate wedding which most times is jus to impress the public.

I'm not following the bandwagon..... mine would be different.

abeg check my signature to place orders for your duvets

God go provide 4 u, perhaps moni no dey ya porket! grin
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by Akinsete19(m): 9:08am On Sep 16, 2021
Anniversary
Re: Which Should We Celebrate More: Weddings Vs Marriage Anniversary ? by FullBlastLight: 9:08am On Sep 16, 2021
Not all weddings or marriages loudly celebrated hit d rock, and not all uncelebrated weddings or marriages are necessarily successful!

Time & chance happen 2 them all, says d Preacher!

My punchline is dt, everyone is responsible 4 their own happiness or misery!

Thus, u can deliberately create ur own bliss & choose 2 make urself happy by celebrating & enjoying every moment of ur life, wich wldn't exclude wedding or marriage occasion!

Meanwhile, pple wil only hv 2 be wise & prudent enough not 2 overheat themselves by outlandishly squandering d resources they don't truly possess in d name of celebration!

However, if they're truly in command of d cash, maybe like Cubana & d likes, let them feel free 2 elaborately celebrate & hilariously jubilate while throwing some mighty giveaways 2 well-wishers & fans!

Take it frm me, not exactly d same things, bt different things, are problems 2 different folks!

Celebration is neva d cause 4 failed marriages, neither is non-celebration d reason 4 successful marriages!

D operators of marriages hv a lot in their hands dt determine weda their individual marriage succeeds or fails!

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

What If Marriage Were Temporary / His Wife Always Ran away when ever they Exchange words (For Married people) / A Depressed House Wife Needs Urgent Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.