Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,743 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi (44032 Views)

Africa's First Blockchain Bank - Crypto Banking For Everyone / Why I Broke My WEMA Alat ATM Card And Stopped Going Cashless / He Has A Masters Degree In Bricklaying Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by EkwensuNjaba(m): 5:12am On Jan 24, 2021
Why I left banking for bricklaying — Muibi

Kehinde Muibi, 28, is the founder of a construction company, Destiny Crest Limited. He tells TOLUWALOPE KAREEM how he started working as a bricklayer, his entrepreneurship journey and his vision for the real estate industry

What are your educational qualifications?

I have a National Diploma in Mathematics and Statistics. I also have a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, and a Master’s degree in Project Management. I have also taken online courses in Project Management Science. Having degrees in different fields makes me fulfilled.

What motivated you to start a construction company, considering the intricacies of the real estate business in Nigeria?

I was motivated by the passion I had for it. After my secondary school education, I realised I had a passion for bricklaying and site construction. So, I went to a man who wanted to build a shopping complex at the time and told him I would work on the project and all he had to do was feed me. However, we agreed on a daily pay of N200. We went on to complete the project in five months. Although it was not the best construction job, it was a stepping stone and a wonderful experience for me.

From there, I moved to a company that sold building materials and I spent six months there since higher institutions were on strike at the time. During that period, I had conversations with engineers, developers, builders and other professionals in the industry. My relationship with them and the lessons I got from our conversations stirred my interest in starting a construction company. I started the construction business four years ago but my company was incorporated in 2018.

What were some of the factors that shaped you into who you are?

I lost my father shortly after I got admitted into the higher institution. I then became the breadwinner of the family. I became a construction worker because things got so tough in the family and we could hardly feed. By doing menial jobs, I was able to fund my education in the polytechnic. While in school, week days were for studying, while at weekends, I worked as a bricklayer and mathematics tutor.

After I got my National Diploma, I worked with a bank on contract basis. After working with the bank for a year, I wrote an examination and transitioned to a full-time employee. I spent six years at the bank but it wasn’t my dream, so I started developing a business plan for my construction company right from there.

How were you able to secure your first contract?

The first contract I got was through a friend. The job was to design a building plan. When I delivered the job, it was beyond the expectations of the client. Because of how good the job was, the client offered me the complete building project to manage. In a short time, the building was also ready. The client was very impressed with the work and he actually gave me additional payment. It was an eye-opener for me. I was amazed that I could make so much money so easily. That then resuscitated my interest in the construction industry.

How were you able to convince big brands to become your clients?

I believe that results don’t lie. After working on the Sugarland Estate project in 2018, my confidence and creativity improved. Since then, I have worked on several other exceptional projects. We are particular about what we deliver to our clients. Even amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, renowned companies in Abuja have offered us jobs, choosing us over older construction companies.

How have you been able to raise funds, which is required to run a successful construction company?

I believe in possibilities and that belief system has made me the entrepreneur I am today. I have maintained good relationships with my clients, and in return, they have connected me to so many investors and financial institutions. We don’t underestimate any project or client, irrespective of how insignificant it appears. We always take on contracts with the mindset of delivering excellent results. Despite the continuous increase in the prices of building materials, we always deliver. That often affects our project margin but integrity and trust are more important to us than profit.

What is the biggest risk you have ever taken in the course of running your business?

I believe everyone would, at one point or the other, have to take their fair share of risks that could either make or break them. For me, starting a company was a risk on its own. Every project also comes with risks because they have to be completed despite whatever challenges we may encounter. In some instances, I had to complete some projects with my money.

How do you keep abreast of global trends in design?

New designs emerge daily and to catch up with the trends, I visit different blogs and international platforms. However, the location of a building mostly determines the design one would employ, rather than global trends.

What sets your company apart from the competition?

We are not a regular construction company. We take the welfare of our employees very importantly. That was why I devised a ‘work-shift’ method for our engineers and other workers. They are humans, and no matter how strong they may claim to be, they should not be treated like machines.

We plan to take the construction industry to another level by creating a foundation for our workers. The foundation would cater to their needs and that of their families— provide them with food when they are working, and protect the interest of their families (through insurance) against accidents that may occur on the job.

What is your staff strength?

The business has provided employment opportunities for engineers and construction workers. Right now, we have eight engineers, four administrative staff and over 200 site workers in our employ.

What do you do for fun?

I like going to the beach alone. I also read books and watch comedy skits because they relax me. I am a fan of Pastor Sam Adeyemi and motivational speakers such as Fela Durotoye and the late Ubong King.

Have you ever engaged in any philanthropic act?

Presently, there are nine students on fully-funded academic scholarships, which I bankroll, and I have pledged to train them to the university level.

What were the criteria used to choose the beneficiaries of the scholarships?

I look out for struggling families and help them to carry the educational burden of their children. I have gone through hard times, so it is easy for me to identify with people that need help. I also pay house rent for people who cannot afford it.

How does your academic background help in the business you do now?

I still apply the things I learnt in school, as well as my banking experience. I apply relevant ideas to my business and that is one of the things that have been helping me.

What advice do you have for youths as regards entrepreneurship?

Be ready to face the mountains before you; be on the lookout for new things; and let challenges move you to success, rather than deter you.

https://punchng.com/why-i-left-banking-for-bricklaying-muibi/?amp=1

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Iceyjayz: 5:48am On Jan 24, 2021
I guess he loves what he's doing now, anything that rocks his boat as far as he finds joy in it...

56 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by missiret(f): 6:24am On Jan 24, 2021
uhmm
Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by pascalbenz: 8:02am On Jan 24, 2021
Good for him

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Powersurge: 4:12am On Jan 25, 2021
Education creates an illusion of wealth.

Iya Basira, the agbo seller, makes more money than some people that tie rope on their necks every morning doing 7-5.

244 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Doyin400l(m): 5:11am On Jan 25, 2021
Never give up.

There's this eye opener that comes with banking jobs... After working in a bank for 1 year, that's what birthed my new company too.

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by beautyhd: 6:21am On Jan 25, 2021
Whatever that puts food on your table and gives you peace of mind and as well legal then do it.

There is nothing like being self employed, banking work and everyother 7 to 5 job can be draining especially in Lagos.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by KubwaBoy: 6:22am On Jan 25, 2021

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by MVLOX(m): 6:23am On Jan 25, 2021
dis story go hard to believe ooo

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by fnep2smooth(m): 6:23am On Jan 25, 2021
grin grin grin
cool
Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by parkervero(m): 6:23am On Jan 25, 2021
Huh

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by stalingraddd(m): 6:24am On Jan 25, 2021
most people in Nigeria don't really love the jobs they are doing because na condition carry dem there in the first place

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Nobody: 6:24am On Jan 25, 2021
Cool
Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by kekakuz(m): 6:25am On Jan 25, 2021
Like for Sunday igboho
Share for fulani .

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by pyyxxaro: 6:25am On Jan 25, 2021
missiret:
uhmm

Be kiaful
Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Lawrry(m): 6:25am On Jan 25, 2021
Op MAD o, see how you wrote bricklayer like say, the guy dey carry ponpon of sand for head to climb wooden staircase.

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Lordswazz(m): 6:25am On Jan 25, 2021
He actually didn't leave banking for bricklaying. There is a world of difference between establishing and managing construction jobs and subsequently a construction company and being a bricklayer.

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Creditalerts: 6:25am On Jan 25, 2021
fishy story

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Chicastle: 6:25am On Jan 25, 2021
When you work with banks, it reveals many things to you and you do not need to hesitate leaving that shit work and pursue that which had been revealed. "BANKING" job or whatever is not just encouraging 7-5pm no be moi moi ooo

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by inoki247: 6:25am On Jan 25, 2021
Some Forga or Rewire get money pass some people thats why they always have strength to have two to three wives wey person wey dey du white colar job no fit afford...

I even know about one man is a butcher wey dey stay my street dey work for abattoir get 2 house nd 3 wives I waz like shey na so killing of cow get money....

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Giftedprof: 6:26am On Jan 25, 2021
Inside life

1 Like

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Mikelarteta(m): 6:26am On Jan 25, 2021
What is going on in the banking industry, I know a lot of people that voluntarily resigned to go into private businesses.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by DipoAy(m): 6:27am On Jan 25, 2021
Passion is hard to fight
Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Marvyx(m): 6:29am On Jan 25, 2021
You cannot be rich with salary alone. It's a well known fact. Business rules.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Olunmercy56(f): 6:30am On Jan 25, 2021
shocked May God direct us to where our success is.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by DenreleDave(m): 6:30am On Jan 25, 2021
Mighty words but I doubt if I can leave bank work for bricklaying... Too stressful

I understand that bank work is very stressful too but I prefer stress of bank to the hard labor or brick layers...

That is if I get a work as a banker oo
Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by SouthNigerian: 6:30am On Jan 25, 2021
Dreams! Dreams!

Dreams are so Powerful that when you take actions based on it, people would think you are sliding towards the delusional state.

By the time you start reaping the benefits of your dreams, the same people who criticized you earlier would come out to the open and give you a resounding applause.

Never give up on what you believe in, people would talk after all.

Kudos Sir.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Massdamm(m): 6:30am On Jan 25, 2021
MVLOX:
dis story go hard to believe ooo
It's true bro... He's my friend brother...
Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Nobody: 6:31am On Jan 25, 2021
There are many ways to make it in life

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by phorget(m): 6:31am On Jan 25, 2021
Hmmmmm!
Re: Why I Left Banking For Bricklaying - Kehinde Muibi by Childrentablets(f): 6:33am On Jan 25, 2021

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bank Mistakenly Credited A Zimbabwean Student's Account With N19.4M / Folorunsho Alakija’s 65th Birthday Party In Pictures / Femi Otedola Attends Rhythm Unplugged With His "Small" Nokia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.