Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most (1041 Views)

Japa: Checkout Out Four Friends (Nigeria Vs Abroad) / Things I Found Out About Sweden! / Canada Will Humble You, I Miss Cheap Nigerian Pussies: Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by Leshurr(f): 7:32am On Jan 27, 2021
Things I dislike the most about my dear country..

The Heat, The Mosquitoes
My makeup never stays on whenever I visit Nigeria. The heat is so unbearable, making me sweat, making my face so oily.
Sleeping at night without AC or fan is a nightmare in itself. Mosquitoes will feast on your entire body - not even your face is spared! I hate the weather/humid climate. Lagos is the absolute worst for this - everywhere so stuffy. The lack of sufficient greeny ensures that it feels hotter and hotter as the years go by.

The lifestyle
I hate Nigerian lifestyle for the most part. It's too stressful and fast paced for my liking.
What I hate the most is myopic and oppressive mindset. Human right violations on every level. It's only in Nigeria I've seen bosses deducting salary from staff and it's a normal thing, only in Nigeria where pastors are feared and worshipped more than God himself. Where police / army can assault and even shoot at unarmed citizens.
Those in a position of power must oppress others and the citizens actually accept and justify such behaviour.
The celebration of mediocrity is out of this world. Imagine politicians commissioning toilets and bus stations in this day and age! The absolute bare minimum is celebrated like massive achievements. smh.
Then the citizens itself are so mediocre in mindset. People feeling like they've arrived because of airpods and iPhones. Feeling posh because they drink smoothies.
Dressing to impress and oppress.
Couples employing children as slaves to take care of their homes. Child housemaid abuse goes unpunished, even those who are caught can bribe their way out of jail. Husbands sleep around by default and wives have now overtaken in the infidelity Olympics of Nigeria. Marriage is a joke and dating is a complete shiitshow. Morality is lost. Hypocrisy thrives. I could go on to write an entire dissertation on this.

Miscellaneous
- Data and internet is so expensive.
- Air pollution, noise pollution.
- Lack of constant electricity (in this day and age!)
- Water doesn't run in taps, unless in posh areas or in hotels.
- Nigeria (a oil producing nation) still shamefully prides itself in being a developing country despite being older than Dubai.

Now to the things I miss about home...

The sense of community.
The fact that everyone looks out for each other. You feel amongst your own people. Friends and family trooping in and out of your home - it's a priceless feeling. In Nigeria, you can't die alone in your apartment and nobody will know.

Exotic fruits & veg
Like ube, garden egg, agbalumo, Nigerian mangoes (not the tasteless ones we have here).

Cheap, tasty and affordable mamaput
Nigerian food is so expensive abroad. One yam is like $3/£3, depending on your area. Yes, there are many shops and restaurants that sell majority of our food stuff but lil' treasures like snails, roundabout, bushmeat etc.. are a rare commodity.
I miss those mamaputs in Nigeria with delicious orishirishi dancing on your plate for cheap!
Although, I must confess that the tastiest 9ja food I've ever eaten in my life was actually at a Nigerian restaurant in Dubai, located close to the gold souq in Al Sabkha. The array of soups and assorted meats ehn! kiss

9 Likes

Re: Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by Sundrus: 7:49am On Jan 27, 2021
U just remind me of mama-put. E don tay wey i eat mama-put oh. Now wey i don be expert chef, i no dey reason mama-put again. I remember the last time i enter mama-put, na ladies many pass there. I come dey wonder wetin come happen, why ladies no dey fit cook for their house again. Even married women dey the queue dey wait for their turn. The thing shock me that day oh.

1 Like

Re: Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by Ahmed0336(m): 7:57am On Jan 27, 2021
Naija my country
Re: Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by Aladdin1(m): 8:05am On Jan 27, 2021
What you have written is so true and correct.thank God you are lucky to be able to excape naija.it can be a nightmare living in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by Nackzy: 8:08am On Jan 27, 2021
Guy there's nothing to miss in this Country
Re: Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by Mcslize: 9:18am On Jan 27, 2021
gopel8052

humilitypays

Blackpanda

Your comment is needed here. As usual, what do you guys have to say about this?
Re: Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 27, 2021
So we thus few points of yours, we can conclude that abroad is better than Nigeria 100%. cheesy
Re: Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by meobizy(f): 3:36pm On Jan 27, 2021
One thing I noticed a long time ago was when Nigerians travel out, they have so much data at their disposal that they litter this place with write-ups and videos. Once their visit ends or foreign tuition is concluded, they head back home and with that, their Nairaland account goes dormant. Lol. Naija internet prices dey wound. I've long broken free from the shackles of being frugal with data.

The only thing I missed about Naija was properly pounded yam, of which I steadily ate poundo although expensive at least twice weekly. Drinking Star beer always gave me a feeling of home while Nigerian Guinness littered everywhere.

3 Likes

Re: Things I Hate About Nigeria Vs Things I Miss The Most by IvyGRush: 9:51pm On Jan 28, 2021
Sundrus:
U just remind me of mama-put. E don tay wey i eat mama-put oh. Now wey i don be expert chef, i no dey reason mama-put again. I remember the last time i enter mama-put, na ladies many pass there. I come dey wonder wetin come happen, why ladies no dey fit cook for their house again. Even married women dey the queue dey wait for their turn. The thing shock me that day oh.

Honestly!
It's Buhari's Fault entirely that Women no longer cook because they don't know how to cook.

I Blame President Muhammadu Buhari

(1) (Reply)

Relocation To Canada / 7 Aircraft Parked At Kabul Airport As US Resumes Evacuation Flights / AMERICAN Dream Is A Mirage, Only Racism, Poverty-nigerian Asylum Seeker, Ajibola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.