Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,133 members, 7,849,551 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:19 AM

An Open Letter To The Rivers State Government On The Closure Of R.t.c - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / An Open Letter To The Rivers State Government On The Closure Of R.t.c (207 Views)

Dangote: 27 Staff Shot During Closure Of Our Factory By Kogi Govt / Enugu Traders Hail State Government On Effective Fire Service / Supermarket Owners Rake In Huge Profits Over Closure Of Shoprite In Akure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter To The Rivers State Government On The Closure Of R.t.c by Saintspapa: 12:56am On Feb 02, 2021
OPEN LETTER TO RIVERS STATE GOVERNMENT.

It is with a deep sense of responsibility and commitment to the progress of my beloved State that I write this open letter.
Rivers State, beside being blessed with both human and natural resources is a State known for its rich cultural heritage.
Rivers people are known for their warmheartedness and hospitality. The typical Rivers man, with his customary finesse appear in ways that elicit the envy of others. He carries himself with a spectacular gait. Some, out of sheer envy have described him as being overtly conceited. But the truth is that, the Rivers man is a virtuoso in cleanliness and living a happy life. He is averse to begging because he considers himself too highly and important to do so. There is no gain stating the obvious that a typical Rivers man is a proud man. He is proud about a lot of things some of which include his environment, food, language, attire, worldview etc. Every Rivers State government understands this fact and work towards ensuring that the pride and integrity of Rivers people are not submerged.
In today's complex society, government, no doubt is struggling with a whole lot of issues like; security, building of infrastructure, employment etc. But the way it goes about these issues especially the area of employment raises a lot of concern.
Beside the protection of life and property, the government has a responsibility to ensure that the people live a satisfied and fulfilled life. Whatever that attempts to derail this objective should be vehemently resisted. The government cannot afford to fold its arms and watch the Rivers man transmogrify into wandering mendicants because of dearth of jobs ( unemployment). It is true that creating jobs for the teeming population of Rivers State is one of the biggest challenges confronting the current administration and I believe that the government is doing its best but my question is; why shutdown healthy and functional establishments like RIVERS TRANSPORT COMPANY ( RTC). The foremost Rivers Transport Company has been closed for over 10 months now. Other establishments that were shutdown with it following the Coronavirus pandemic have been reopened. The Company which provides employment for over 3000 Rivers people has been lieing desolate. Throughout this period, no dime has come to its staffers as salary. Only God knows how they've been surviving. Many of them have families. Some have died as a result of unbearable hardship and some, obviously have veered into criminal activities in order to survive.

One of the things that give me joy as a Rivers man that resides outside the State is sighting RTC vehicles on the road. Each time I see these vehicles, a wave of nostalgia sweeps over me. I feel proud that yes! That's our vehicle. Unfortunately, they've vanished from the road. Everywhere I turn, it's Benue Links, Plateau Riders etc. These vehicles not only dominate our roads, they make the money our people are supposed to make.

This attitude is not limited to RTC. Port Harcourt Flour Mills got smacked down by this same attitude. A company that employs over 3000 Rivers and Bayelsa indigenes was shutdown over what many people describe as clash of political interest. Since the closure of the everbusy and bubbling company, many of its staff have been cut short prematurely. Beside the issue of employment, the 'Gold Crown' trademark of Port Harcourt Flour Mills was almost synonymous with Port Harcourt. Each time you see the trademark it says something about Rivers State but today, all that lie in the bowel of history. Only to be remembered.

In view of the forgoing, I wish to call on the listening government of Rivers State to continue to do its best in promoting the image and integrity of the Rivers man. The Rivers man is a blessed man and cannot afford to die in the midst of plenty. Those establishments that are lieing desolate and moribund should be activated to provide employment for our youths and revenue for the State.

By:
Fidelis O. Ajukura.
Resides in Makurdi, Benue State.

You can reach me on:
ajukurafidelisobi@gmail.com or 07031523329

Re: An Open Letter To The Rivers State Government On The Closure Of R.t.c by OyigboUpdate: 1:03am On Feb 02, 2021
Governor Wike for president. It was due to Covid19

(1) (Reply)

How to Reduce the Cost of Running Your Business / FBS $140 Level Up Bonus For All / Memorandum Of Understanding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.