Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) (1507 Views)

Bbm Introduces Another Awesome Feature, Check It Out! / Upgrade Of Maemo 5 Operating System On Nokia N900 To Andriod Operating System / Get Awesome Blackberry Display Pictures (dp's) For Free! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 05, 2011
Nokia n900 users let's share our experiences about this awesome gadget,
For me I think it's the best phone Nokia has in the market right now running on a linux based OS called maemo. The capabilities of this phone are endless. I mean, If you can crack WEP and WPA wlan keys, emulate sony playstation 1 games, take HDR photos on a mobile phone, then that's a gadget I believe every geeks wanna lay their hands on. So as a user, how has your life been since you paid for this gadget from the very first beginning?
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Chuksxp: 7:07pm On Apr 06, 2011
I just like the fact that 99% of its apps are free, legally.
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by hayprof(m): 7:58pm On Apr 06, 2011
yup!
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by JShama: 11:56pm On Apr 06, 2011
I love the N900.
I think the best part is the software used on it. I hope Nokia will come up with other devices that use the maemo.
My experience is that most people I know who use it are actually just posing with it, They generally under utilize it. The capacity of the N900 device is wonderful
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by texazzpete(m): 6:56am On Apr 07, 2011
sheyie2007:

Nokia n900 users let's share our experiences about this awesome gadget,
For me I think it's the best phone Nokia has in the market right now running on a linux based OS called maemo. The capabilities of this phone are endless. I mean, If you can crack WEP and WPA wlan keys, emulate sony playstation 1 games, take HDR photos on a mobile phone, then that's a gadget I believe every geeks wanna lay their hands on. So as a user, how has your life been since you paid for this gadget from the very first beginning?

Any modern android phone (and even the iPhone 4) can do all these without being as thick as a brick outhouse. they have bigger, brighter and better screens. Plus, the apps available for Android and iOS phones absolutely slay the paltry selection on the N900.

If you can afford it, there's no need to cling to this relic.
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Apr 07, 2011
Mr texazzpete, I understand what you mean about meamo appearing relic, maybe it will grow as android has? I'm being particular with the n900 because of the solid hardware and some cool advantages the OS has over others, And for your info, I run android on this baby
, (NITDROID),
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Chuksxp: 4:44pm On Apr 08, 2011
@texazzpete
I guess that's the point; It is true there are other cooler Android phones out there, but it wasn't so back in 2009 when N900 was just released. N900 may not be as popular as it was back then, but it served its purpose. It broke barriers and paved the way for these other high tech touch screen phones. When N900 was first released, I don't think any other phone could boast of a 800x480 pixel resolution and screen brightness, app speed, camera quality, firefox browser,, etc.

PS: You can install other OS on the N900, such as Android, Meego,
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by osikhueme(f): 5:19pm On Apr 08, 2011
My N900 is faulty, took it to Nokia care and they said they cannot fix it cos it is a board problem, 64500 down d drain sad
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Nobody: 6:57am On Apr 09, 2011
@osikhueme
oh sorry, what happen to it?
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by osikhueme(f): 8:51am On Apr 09, 2011
hmmm, my phone, comes on when it wishes to, and when it comes on and I slide it shut it goes back off and then it becomes almost impossible to bring it back on, It doesn't even charge again,
I'm so burnt, my next phone will cost me 2k if there is any phone like that cheesy
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by engrhamid(m): 8:59am On Apr 09, 2011
osikhueme:

hmmm, my phone, comes on when it wishes to, and when it comes on and I slide it shut it goes back off and then it becomes almost impossible to bring it back on, It doesn't even charge again,
I'm so burnt, my next phone will cost me 2k if there is any phone like that cheesy
Don't panic yet. There are some great engineers out there.
You could give them a trial.
Search for dragnet on this phone section, you might just be lucky if he could fix it for you.
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Ezebinaugwu(m): 12:32pm On Apr 10, 2011
i love my n900 coz the fone is cool but the problem with mine is dat the camera shows me opretion failed when ever i on it and my app manager does the same opretion failed even when it shows newupdate 4 memo if i try to update it says opretion failed, in download were i use to download b4 now say no download avilable pls i need solution to all dis problem so i can enjoy my fone coz i lov dis divce so so much. abeg i need ur help.
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Chuksxp: 1:59pm On Apr 10, 2011
As for the Camera, I'm sure there's hope, even if it means flashing or reinstalling the maemo OS. Anyway, checkout this link:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39091

As for the app manager, mine displays the same 'operation failed' sometimes. Keep on trying it after a few hours or days, it will work. If you're using gprs, you may need to try it on a wifi.
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Nobody: 8:58pm On Apr 10, 2011
@Ezebinaugwu

for the app manager try this in ur terminal,

apt-get -f install
apt-get clean
apt-get update

ensure u have rootsh installed before you try the above commands
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by ED1: 9:41pm On Apr 10, 2011
Hi guys,
I av always been proud of my device. But lately I av not been able to delete picures. It shows me 'cannot delete read-only file'.
So I wonder how the pictures I took wit the device camera became read-only.
Any help?
I also intend installing the Android on my device, any gray areas?
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Apr 11, 2011
@ E-D

hey, I once had the same issue with my device, just backed up the files on my memory card and formatted it, so when I inserted it back, it was all gone, you can try the same and let's see how it goes.

As for the android ish, follow this link
it has every detailed instructions as to installing gingerbread(android) on your device,

http://www.funamess.com/tw/how-to-installuninstall-android-2-3-gingerbread-and-kernel-power-on-your-n900

Remember, It's at your own risk, you might just brick your device if you miss a step.
Goodluck, you'll need it,

P.S the 'Nitdroid' has bugs present still can't make calls but you can run android games and apps,
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Ezebinaugwu(m): 12:08pm On Apr 12, 2011
@sheyie pls how do i instal rootsh since my app manager is not working and pls if want to flash or reinstal the os how do i do it? thinks
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Nobody: 2:15pm On Apr 12, 2011
download the .deb file directly from 'maemo.org/packages' just search 'rootsh' and download,

and if you still want to flash it, follow the instructions here http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_firmware
flash ur device at ur own risk!
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by ED1: 1:46am On Apr 13, 2011
sheyie2007:

@ E-D

hey, I once had the same issue with my device, just backed up the files on my memory card and formatted it, so when I inserted it back, it was all gone, you can try the same and let's see how it goes.

As for the android ish, follow this link
it has every detailed instructions as to installing gingerbread(android) on your device,

http://www.funamess.com/tw/how-to-installuninstall-android-2-3-gingerbread-and-kernel-power-on-your-n900

Remember, It's at your own risk, you might just brick your device if you miss a step.
Goodluck, you'll need it,

P.S the 'Nitdroid' has bugs present still can't make calls but you can run android games and apps,

Thanx chief, guess the only stress would be knowing the size of a memory card to pick up, cos I really have stuff loaded on my device.

But pls does the Nitdroid run alongside the maemo os on the phone, i mean to say since the Nitdroid can't make calls does it mean if i'm on Nitdroid I wont receive calls; wld both Maemo and Nitdroid function simultaneously or does one disable the other?

Plus at what fee and where can I get this installation done for me cos I do not have Wi-Fi connection to run this process myself.
Thanx.
Re: Awesome Nokia N900 (n900 Users) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 13, 2011
@ E.D
Bro you have to make use of a WIFI connection to install these apps, that's one annoying ish about the phone

It's possible to install gingerbread on your phone memory, here http://wiki.maemo.org/Nitdroid_easy_install_on_EMMC
(it's saves the battery's power)

you must have 'multiboot' installed on your device to use Nitroid or Maemo via the bootmenu,
yes, you can't make calls on Nitroid yet

(1) (Reply)

2go Registration On Asha 308 / *PICTURES* BBM For Android And Ios Rollout Resumes! / End Of An Era As Blackberry Stops Making Phones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.